Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Shop in Limerick??

• 10-01-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just wondering is there anything resembling a comic shop of any kind in Limerick looking for some trade paperbacks and downstairs in easons and o' mahoneys seem to be the only places i've seen anything and there selection is terrible

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Isn't there a place near the market which does 2nd hand comics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Is the Gathering still open? It's on Gerald Griffin St, walk up William St and turn left at BOI, it's on that street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Is the Gathering still open? It's on Gerald Griffin St, walk up William St and turn left at BOI, it's on that street.

I called into the gathering a few weeks back for the first
    time in years. It still has fogged up windows and a pretty bad smell of BO when you walk into the shop thats caused by a load of teenage gamers squashed into a small tiny place for long periods of time. (No flow of air from the shop unless someone opens the front door to walk in)

They used to have a second place in the building nextdoor
    that sold graphic novels and movie/manga/comic related stuff. But it appears to be closed down, when I asked about it, it was closed quite a while.

They used to have a convention once or twice a year, I think it was on in UL a few times??
    where there was Comics/Boardgames/models for sale.

There is a facebook page for Conclave which may be the same convention:
    (Not specifically comics but there may be people that trade/sell them at it
    or they may be able to give you more information)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Conclave-Gaming-Convention/113093772065525?v=info

Or maybe a few folks here may be able to help:
    (Again its a gaming place rather than comics but am sure people with interests in both)
    http://www.thegatheringlimerick.ie/

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is that the second hand book shop across the road from the round house pub, I did get a few bits and pieces in there before but i called down there today about half 4 and it was locked funny opening hours there, You'd fare miss Forbidden Planet that used be on Roches Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is that the second hand book shop across the road from the round house pub, I did get a few bits and pieces in there before but i called down there today about half 4 and it was locked funny opening hours there, You'd fare miss Forbidden Planet that used be on Roches Street

Forbidden Planet had a few homes during it's time in Limerick. It's biggest store was the one on Patrick Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

hi guys, im from limerick, just wondering where would be the best place to get predator figures, avp figures etc...? cheers

hi guys, im from limerick, just wondering where would be the best place to get predator figures, avp figures etc...? cheers

This is not a smart arse answer but you are wasting your time looking for any kind of decent range in Limerick or decent prices.

Your best bet is online as you will get a better range and much better prices. Amazon are doing the classic Alien figures and also figures from the AVP series. If you spend £25 or more on the site then P&P to Ireland is free.

If you prefer bricks and mortar stores then a trip to Dublin or Cork would be your best option.

The comic shop upstairs in Pauls Mall in Cork city (just off of Patrick Street) used to always carry a range of figures, and Forbidden Planet in Dublin does also.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Kess73 wrote: »

The comic shop upstairs in Pauls Mall in Cork city (just off of Patrick Street) used to always carry a range of figures, and Forbidden Planet in Dublin does also.

Is there still a Forbidden Planet in Dublin,if so where??????

thefishone wrote: »
    Is there still a Forbidden Planet in Dublin,if so where??????

It is on Crampton Quay facing the Liffey. Come out of Houston station, walk up past the Guiness entrance, and keep going for about 1.5 miles or so. It will be on the right hand side as you walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

How do you know I always get the train to Dublin,with instructions like that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Any time i'm in Dublin I have to head to forbidden planet, great shop. Sickened it left Limerick. Better off buying comics and graphic novels from Amazon, much cheaper than any shop in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Argos I think had some fairly detailed Predator Figures
    at one stage, as did Smiths Toystore. I've a vinyl kit that I filled
    with plaster of paris to add weight to it, that was sitting someplace in my
    attic for years as I never painted it, I got it from the girl Tracey?? who
    used to work in Biblios??? that small coffee shop with comics in the back
    that closed down.

The Lad that used to run Hollywood empire who posted here
    a while back used to have a full sized Head/Bust for sale.
    (going back a few years)

When the Lord of the Rings films came out I got quite
    addicted to buying polystone busts from the films and found
    this lovely website that has lots of lovely Predator stuff!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4488&license=Alien|Predator|Alien%20VS%20Predator&ref=2ndnav-avp-home

I bought a 12inch Predator statue made entirely from
    Nuts/Bolts/sparkplugs and scrap metal for 60 Euros down the market one weekend, Lovely yoke and they sell on the internet for a hell of a lot more than what I paid for it.

Check out this cool art:
    http://store.metalpark.org/
    http://artfromsteel.com/

~B

ya i should have bought them in argos back then but its only now im interested in collecting them. il check amazon anyways, have ye ever tried play.com in the uk? its free delivery

did smths not have any figures out for the new predators movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

BroCon in UL will have some of the stuff you're looking for afaik. Last year there was a trader called RePlay from Belfast (I think...its in northern Ireland anyways- the guys are really nice, they are much cheaper than southern retailers, and if youre looking for something in particular I'm sure they would be able to sort you out, as they do mail orders and stuff too)
    It's being held from the 15th-17th of July this year (2011). They had a lotta figures, anime, manga, dice, board games, rpg stuff, posters etc.

For books theres thebookdepository.co.uk and there is always amazon! xD
    play doesnt ship "gadets" afaik :/ Which is disappointing!

As for Comic Books I'm not too sure, (there a small selection like you said in O'Mahonys and Easons) graphic novels are quite cheap online (woohoo!) so thats prob your best bet....ebay fo sure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

BroCon in UL will have some of the stuff you're looking for afaik. Last year there was a trader called RePlay from Belfast (I think...its in northern Ireland anyways- the guys are really nice, they are much cheaper than southern retailers, and if youre looking for something in particular I'm sure they would be able to sort you out, as they do mail orders and stuff too)
    It's being held from the 15th-17th of July this year (2011). They had a lotta figures, anime, manga, dice, board games, rpg stuff, posters etc.

I ****ING LOVE YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

caspa307 wrote: »

I ****ING LOVE YOU

Lol! Whai? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

bullets wrote: »
    who
    used to work in Biblios??? that small coffee shop with comics in the back
    that closed down.

Owned by a friend of mine and his GF..went bust many years ago.

I remember we had a new years party in the shop and he forgot to lock it up properly so the alarm was going most of the night and the cops were there the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

Im looking into setting up a shop in Limerick along the lines of dublin city comics and hoping to get things moving soon so will keep ye updated my future customers and friends :D;)

Imbatman wrote: »
    Im looking into setting up a shop in Limerick along the lines of dublin city comics and hoping to get things moving soon so will keep ye updated my future customers and friends :D;)

Well if you can be somewhat competitive on pricing, then there is a market in and around Limerick. The Gathering was the last place in Limerick that had a stab at the graphic novel/comic/figures etc market, but their prices got silly after a whille and you could buy the same graphic novels on Amazon.co.uk for half to even a third of the price of what it cost to buy the same thing in Limerick. They were not even close in price to other Irish brick and mortar stores that were selling the same stuff.

If you were able to source product and were able to sell it at no worse than circa +15% to +25% of Amazon pricing in general, then I think the fact folk could impulse buy or get the item straight away would be enough to get over that kind of price difference.

What might be an idea as well is to tap into the second hand market and buy used editions of graphic novels (paperback and hard back) off of people (for cash and/or store credit) and sell them on as pre owned. If you had a good volume of second hand items coming it, the higher profit margin that you could make off of them could go towards the lower margin made on trying to make the new items price competitive.

Best of luck in your venture though, and I hope that it gets to the stage that I see it getting mentioned in the new businesses opening thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Also advertise, let it be known there's a shop around, i spent 5 months travelling up to the dublins forbidden planet before i found out biblio's was open and selling comics in limerick. By then it had closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Dunno if many of you are on facebook im part of UK/Ireland Comic Collectors club be great to more Irish people on there https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9af501a414cb3a9b6e08e1008c482d88&eu=fSdj7uWymMACD4u_ufvZNA#!/groups/238363196209356/

Be a good place to advertise you're shop too till you get you're own personal shop page up on facebook be great to see some of the rest of you here too well not some alll of you really

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

well guys we didnt think we would get here but we are so close now to opening a brick and mortar shop its frustrating...lesson one..dont look for any financial assistance whatsoever from any local bodies,you get shot down,all they want to do is look like they are creating employment,if you want to do a thing do it yourself.hope to see you all at limerick comic con in the kilmurry lodge on the 28th of april,from ten till six,cool prizes,plus all money taken on the door will be donated to a worthy charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Helimachopter

well guys we didnt think we would get here but we are so close now to opening a brick and mortar shop its frustrating...lesson one..dont look for any financial assistance whatsoever from any local bodies,you get shot down,all they want to do is look like they are creating employment,if you want to do a thing do it yourself.hope to see you all at limerick comic con in the kilmurry lodge on the 28th of april,from ten till six,cool prizes,plus all money taken on the door will be donated to a worthy charity.

I know this thread is kinda old, but has this shop ever come to fruition?

Mod Post: Headshot for Zombie thread.

And so the last poster to use it does not get left hanging. The shop did not get opened, as the poster who was looking into the idea posted on here some time to let folks know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement