Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please.

Options
  • 10-01-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

Tenants moved in in oct (couple with a child), deposit paid and paid rent weekly in advance -standing order.

Standing order bounces in early dec and three weeks later a payment is made for four weeks into my account. no more standing orders since then so at the moment they are 2 weeks late with a promise to pay tomorrow.

esb has not been paid since they moved in and now the guards have been called to house a few times this week in relation to anti social behaviour.

i called to the house and warned them that any more ASB and the agreement would be void and they would get a notice to quit, also that the rent was to be brought up to date immediately and the utilities paid on time otherwise the agreement would be void as well.

i intend to put this in writing and hand deliver tomorrow. the agreement was verbal and it would now appear that they are "known" to the guards.

what more can i do to protect myself in this instance as i feel that this will go a bit pear shaped for me.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

First off, it is not a notice to quit, it is a notice of termination. You need to advise in writing that they are in arrears of rent, and if you're complaining of antisocial behaviour, you need to write to them telling them of your concerns, and giving them an opportunity to mend their ways.
    you must give the tenant 14 days to pay the arrears of rent after you issue a notice, then you can serve the notice of termination.
    drafting a valid notice of termination is extremely tricky, and you should be very careful that you follow the procedures exactly. section 67 of the residential tenancies act 2004 sets out the requirements for a valid notice of termination.

Advertisement