Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop no fix no fee in Cork recommendations

Options
  • 10-01-2011 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for my brother, he's brought his laptop to the same guy in St Lukes countless times now at 70 euro a pop, seems fine for a week or so then it goes again (keeps cutting out). No idea what's wrong with it but it's only a year and a half old so he wants to save it if possible (warranty is up). Does anyone have any recommendations for a 'no fix no fee' laptop repair place in Cork? I've been a googling but would like personal recommendations if possible. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cutting out? Does the laptop shut down (As in go through the shutdown process), or does the power die abruptly? What are the symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

seeing as its another boardsie I'll look at it if your stuck, but would be weekend, snowed under:rolleyes: like paintdoctor said can you give more details? is it dying while connected to charger? I wouldnt rule out MB issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yes it's dying while connected to the charger. The screen goes blank without warning and the sounds stays on for maybe 30 seconds then the whole thing goes off. It's doing it more frequently now too.

Is the fan running on overtime while this is happening? All the hallmarks of overheating so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Looking for my brother, he's brought his laptop to the same guy in St Lukes countless times now at 70 euro a pop, seems fine for a week or so then it goes again (keeps cutting out). No idea what's wrong with it but it's only a year and a half old so he wants to save it if possible (warranty is up). Does anyone have any recommendations for a 'no fix no fee' laptop repair place in Cork? I've been a googling but would like personal recommendations if possible. Thanks in advance!

Warranty is irrelevant and is extra to your statutory rights. Just saying that so you know and may not apply here. A laptop should conceivably work longer than a year and a half.

However it needs to be a hardware issue for any comeback. It could easily be a dodgy driver or something.

Has the laptop been format and reinstalled by this €70 a pop guy? If so then it might be less likely to be a software issue.

A bad video card driver for instance could cause the laptop to do what you describe.

Unless of course in your second post you say after 30 seconds it goes completely off and that means no lights, no power, no nothing? Then it sounds more like a hardware issue but its still hard to say as it could be going in to power save for some reason.... There is a lot we don't know about the circumstances.

All I will say is that a laptop that is a year and a half old should not develop a fault like this and warranty is only secondary to your far more reassuring statutory rights, though your brother should be prepared for a fight to exercise them.

• Advertisement

Before we go all statutory rights ... if the laptop is overheating (as most do) - it can usually be as a result of a build up in lint inside in the fan and heatsink from being used in bed. Statutory rights wouldn't cover that unfortunately.

Before we go all statutory rights ... if the laptop is overheating (as most do) - it can usually be as a result of a build up in lint inside in the fan and heatsink from being used in bed. Statutory rights wouldn't cover that unfortunately.

Good point which is why I said it needs to be proved a hardware fault and it was just for her info.

You would think the €70 a pop guy would check something like that but... well it needs to be checked by someone competent.

OP just be aware that since this problem might not pop up for a week, your brother needs to be prepared to be without the laptop for over a week so it can be tested by whoever looks at it. Make sure it is put on a long burn/stress test before you accept it as fixed and hand over money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not sure about no fix no fee but cartridge kiosk on the north main street side of castle street have sorted me out before. Rang a dozen places for fixing a laptop screen and they were 90 euro cheaper then anywhere else

If they were competent enough to replace the screen on a laptop then that is probably a good place to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Not sure about no fix no fee but cartridge kiosk on the north main street side of castle street have sorted me out before. Rang a dozen places for fixing a laptop screen and they were 90 euro cheaper then anywhere else

They're lovely blokes in there too. Really friendly, full of good advice and cheap as chips for most stuff. I buy all my peripherals from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

This guy is great very fast and very good at what he do's.Sell and fixs laptops etc on Adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/myadverts/337632

Thanks everyone. Sorry I don't have much more info guys, he's a bit clueless about computers. Sounds like overheating to me too but not certain. He rang a place today called I Electron on Cook St if anyone knows if they're good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Orthoman

Just stay away from a guy in Douglas who advertises in the Douglas Post and "guarantees" his work................ spent 150€, same fault and wouldn't refund

evilivor wrote: »
    They're lovely blokes in there too. Really friendly, full of good advice and cheap as chips for most stuff. I buy all my peripherals from them.
    Balmed Out wrote: »

Sounds good, will tell him about these guys, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Orthoman wrote: »
    Just stay away from a guy in Douglas who advertises in the Douglas Post and "guarantees" his work................ spent 150€, same fault and wouldn't refund

i have a laptop which i was hoping to sell . dell. about 3 yrs old . it needs to be checked over as there is a fault in it somewhere. and so i would nt like to sell it as working perfectly. a guy in douglas village advertises as the computer hospital. i was going to call into him. convenience really. any idea if this is a wise move ? anyone ??

There are a few of us who fix and have said hello on thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

From what I've heard PaintDoc isn't the worst ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

bit of a slow joe today sorry :) pm sent !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement