Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

No idea why you'd want to take Bowe off the wing!

Well yes that's obviously the main counter argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

BVFgHQvCIAAGcBd.jpg:large

Heaslip to Ulster.....

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Craig ain't too bad at football!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

damianmcr wrote: »
    Its likely just rotation too. I wouldnt be thinking of it that Cave is dropped.

To be honest, I think there's a very good chance he'll be dropped when the big games come along unless he really starts catching the eye when on the field. If the choices are Cave up against Marshall and Olding for the centre spot or to bring Payne into the centre to allow Gilroy, Bowe and Trimble all on the field together then Cave's place looks precarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

BVFgHQvCIAAGcBd.jpg:large

Heaslip to Ulster.....

Jamie looks like he had a few shandies the night before this was taken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    Gilroy's positioning at 15 is a worry but for all the fair criticism his kicking got after the Welsh game in February if you remember the Castres away match in the HEC, he play FB there and his kicking was actually really good. As an attacking weapon from full back he could be devastating.
    The kicking 'issue' was invented by that loonbagbrilliantly astute observer and commentator, Captain Hook. He was looking for some negative spin to put on a player's performance so he - as he often does - just makes it up as he goes along. This was siezed upon by those who wished Gilroy to fail. Gilroy in fact kicked the ball 4 times in the game and none of them were terrible kicks. Compared to some of the bilge that some players served up in the 6 N's Gilroy was pretty o.k. We still read a load of bilge about him from the same posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jacothelad wrote: »
    The kicking 'issue' was invented by that loonbagbrilliantly astute observer and commentator, Captain Hook. He was looking for some negative spin to put on a player's performance so he - as he often does - just makes it up as he goes along. This was siezed upon by those who wished Gilroy to fail. Gilroy in fact kicked the ball 4 times in the game and none of them were terrible kicks. Compared to some of the bilge that some players served up in the 6 N's Gilroy was pretty o.k. We still read a load of bilge about him from the same posters.

Was just about to post the same jaco.....i think one of his kicks wasn't great - not horrific, just not great.

Of course Hook needs something to find wrong with a player so he
    pulled gilroy on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Buer wrote: »
    To be honest, I think there's a very good chance he'll be dropped when the big games come along unless he really starts catching the eye when on the field. If the choices are Cave up against Marshall and Olding for the centre spot or to bring Payne into the centre to allow Gilroy, Bowe and Trimble all on the field together then Cave's place looks precarious.
    I think thats rubbish. If you watch Cave he puts in a lot of work and actually makes a few yards. He wont set the world alight but he is good.

Payne is far better at fb than anyone else we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think thats rubbish. If you watch Cave he puts in a lot of work and actually makes a few yards. He wont set the world alight but he is good.

The difference being a player like Payne can set the world alight, if moving him to 13 means Ulster can get all 3 of Bowe, Trimble and Gilroy on the field that is another significant bonus. Cave of 2012 would be another story, but I think his form has noticeably dipped recently, and he will face a lot of pressure for his place.

Your 2nd paragraph is probably true and it is the main counter argument, but if Gilroy is given more games like this at fullback and proves a revelation at 15, there is a big decision to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Cave will be 28 when his contract runs out,and if his form doesn't return to 2012 levels he'll be down the pecking order at Ulster.If he doesn't move then,it will be difficult for him to get a good contract afterwards.I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that in 2015,Darren Cave will move to another club.If he does,I hope he gets to go somewhere that plays good rugby and doesn't just use him to bash it up.He's too good for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cave drop out of the Ulster squad. He's an intelligent player, but he isn't excellent at anything. A Trimble/Gilroy/Bowe back 3 with Payne at 13 is definitely the best use of resources.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cave drop out of the Ulster squad. He's an intelligent player, but he isn't excellent at anything. A Trimble/Gilroy/Bowe back 3 with Payne at 13 is definitely the best use of resources.

He is excellent in defence. He is a clever player, he isn't explosive like BOD (was) or Earls and Olding are but he is important to the Ulster side.

Payne is a better fullback, absolutely. But is he also a better 13? Or is Marshall a better 13 outside of Olding?

To my mind, Cave's position is not nearly as solid as it was even 18 months ago. Then, he was a real lynchpin of the side. But now, he hasn't consistently delivered in about a year.

There have been a few eyebrow raising selections when Cave is available. Payne is at 13 tonight with Cave on the bench. Marshall was at 13 two weeks ago with Cave on the bench. During the 6N last season, when you'd want your more experienced players on the field, Cave was left on the bench to play firstly Marshall and then Andrew Trimble at 13. Those were very important league games against Glasgow and the Ospreys.

He's a very talented bloke and, at his best, should be in the Irish set up. However, he's not at his best and I think Anscombe is definitely tinkering around for the past while to see how best to use the resources at his disposal with Cave looking to be the most likely fall guy based both on his performances and the selections this year.

Payne is a better fullback, absolutely. But is he also a better 13? Or is Marshall a better 13 outside of Olding?

To my mind, Cave's position is not nearly as solid as it was even 18 months ago. Then, he was a real lynchpin of the side. But now, he hasn't consistently delivered in about a year.

There have been a few eyebrow raising selections when Cave is available. Payne is at 13 tonight with Cave on the bench. Marshall was at 13 two weeks ago with Cave on the bench. During the 6N last season, when you'd want your more experienced players on the field, Cave was left on the bench to play firstly Marshall and then Andrew Trimble at 13. Those were very important league games against Glasgow and the Ospreys.

He's a very talented bloke and, at his best, should be in the Irish set up. However, he's not at his best and I think Anscombe is definitely tinkering around for the past while to see how best to use the resources at his disposal with Cave looking to be the most likely fall guy based both on his performances and the selections this year.

So Cave to Leinster you're saying then...

So Cave to Leinster you're saying then...

Cave of 2010 to Leinster. Cave of 2013 to England if he ever leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Cave would be a great fit for Connacht, especially if Leinster have an eye on Henshaw

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Cave would be a great fit for Connacht, especially if Leinster have an eye on Henshaw

You go onto UAFC and suggest that...

Done!

You go onto UAFC and suggest that...

No....:( i might not be allowed to attend any more home games!!!

What I'm trying to say is Cave is too good to be benched often, but doesn't have that cutting edge that is demanded from a top European sides Centre. The fact management are looking at different combinations at 12/13 shows they are not sold on him being the long term 13 for Ulster & potentially Ireland.

• Advertisement

I'd take Cave at Leinster in a heartbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Mackan looks a serious prospect if he can sort his defense. I wouldn't like to see Cave move and potentially delay his development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I suppose this all depends on our signings next year. If Ulster bring in another full back next season then we will see.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wonder with Pienaar leaving will we move for Marmion or Luke McGrath?

I'd take Cave at Leinster in a heartbeat

I'd have zero interest in him based on the last 9 months, to be honest. The dip in form has gone on too long. He's gone from being a vastly underrated and intelligent player in the 23 against NZ to being a bloke that could conceivably be second choice at any of the provinces.

Now that's probably overstating the case somewhat but the guy simply isn't getting much game time and, when he is, he's not doing enough with it. He's tidy still but but is very quiet. A touch of standing still when guys like Olding, Macken, Marshall, Henshaw etc. are all making strides and catching the eye.

awec wrote: »
    I wonder with Pienaar leaving will we move for Marmion or Luke McGrath?

Given the age of Boss and Reddan I can't see McGrath leaving Leinster.

Don't think the Pienaar move to Toulon is by any means set in stone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Now that's probably overstating the case somewhat but the guy simply isn't getting much game time and, when he is, he's not doing enough with it. He's tidy still but but is very quiet. A touch of standing still when guys like Olding, Macken, Marshall, Henshaw etc. are all making strides and catching the eye.

He's ahead of Macken at the moment, no question and any Leinster fans saying the opposite is being hugely biased. IMO Olding could be the dark horse for 13, has similar movement to a young Drico. If Marshall is 12 and Jackson 10, where else? Perfect fit. I do agree that a move for Cave might be the best thing.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    He's ahead of Macken at the moment, no question and any Leinster fans saying the opposite is being hugely biased. IMO Olding could be the dark horse for 13, has similar movement to a young Drico. If Marshall is 12 and Jackson 10, where else? Perfect fit. I do agree that a move for Cave might be the best thing.

Well, Marshall has been the one accommodating by moving to 13 thus far so who knows how it will play out. He has done alright there too.

I don't think anyone considers Macken to be better than Cave (unless I've missed a post) but what I'd say is that Macken is 22 and Cave is 26. Given the improvements that Macken has made in the past year and their respective starts to the season, I'd rather see how Macken gets on than sign a bloke who hasn't played to his potential in quite some time.

I think it's going to be very interesting for Ulster in the next two weeks when they finally bite the bullet and chose their first choice back line.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Well, Marshall has been the one accommodating by moving to 13 thus far so who knows how it will play out. He has done alright there too.

I don't think anyone considers Macken to be better than Cave (unless I've missed a post) but what I'd say is that Macken is 22 and Cave is 26. Given the improvements that Macken has made in the past year and their respective starts to the season, I'd rather see how Macken gets on than sign a bloke who hasn't played to his potential in quite some time.

I think it's going to be very interesting for Ulster in the next two weeks when they finally bite the bullet and chose their first choice back line.

Somebody did say that in a roundabout way. Yeah true, but Marshall's core game is both strength and kicking a perfect mix for 12, being a former out-half so i think he will be Irelands 12 in the 6 nations. going by that the 13 is up for grabs after Drico. Olding is my bet, obviously defence is a major test for 13 so it will be interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

if(a huge if) macken can improve defensively he will be a major factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Guys like Cave will be vital later in the season when injuries start to take effect and during intentional window.

Still has a lot to offer this season and beyond.

How did Payne go at 13, folks? I only watched about 35 minutes with Leinster on. Seemed quiet enough but was being used regularly as a second playmaker in early stages. Couple of scoring passes. Something that will be looked at again?

How did Payne go at 13, folks? I only watched about 35 minutes with Leinster on. Seemed quiet enough but was being used regularly as a second playmaker in early stages. Couple of scoring passes. Something that will be looked at again?

Looked good as ever, but was in Luke Marshall's shadow.

Personally I prefer him at 15.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

I agree, Payne back to 15....

• Advertisement

Have to say that that looked like a potentially very good centre pairing on Friday. They linked up very well, after a few more games together they could be very good. Of course the likes of Cave and Olding need to be considered as well.

If Pienaar leaves at the end of the season what odds Ulster go in for a NIQ goalkicking FB to facilitate Payne's possible move to 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Have to say that that looked like a potentially very good centre pairing on Friday. They linked up very well, after a few more games together they could be very good. Of course the likes of Cave and Olding need to be considered as well.

If Pienaar leaves at the end of the season what odds Ulster go in for a NIQ goalkicking FB to facilitate Payne's possible move to 13?

So your saying Ulster are signing Leigh Halfpenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Coach's son Gareth Anscombe more likely.

If only.

No it just seems like a good plan, if we are losing Pienaar then perhaps a goalkicking FB is the way to go, assuming we aren't allowed a scrum half. The problem there of course is that Leinster have Kirchner. Is Kirchner solely a Full Back or is just a general back three player?

matthew8 wrote: »
    Coach's son Gareth Anscombe more likely.

If Halfpenny leaves Wales, watch this space, I reckon. Anscombe is Welsh qualified and Wales are a tempting nation to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

If Halfpenny leaves Wales, watch this space, I reckon. Anscombe is Welsh qualified and Wales are a tempting nation to play for.

Can't see them leaving Halfpenny out of the squad though, even if he moves abroad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anscombe can play 10, can't he? That's a position that Wales haven't really excelled in.

If only.

No it just seems like a good plan, if we are losing Pienaar then perhaps a goalkicking FB is the way to go, assuming we aren't allowed a scrum half. The problem there of course is that Leinster have Kirchner. Is Kirchner solely a Full Back or is just a general back three player?

Unfortunately it looks like it's required. PJ doesn't seem to be ready for the place kicking this season. It's going to cost us critical wins if not resolved very soon.

Unfortunately it looks like it's required. PJ doesn't seem to be ready for the place kicking this season. It's going to cost us critical wins if not resolved very soon.

It's a problem for him, the rest of his game was excellent against Treviso and likewise Glasgow and in the second half against Connacht so he is playing well but his kicking stats are nowhere near good enough. There is anothe rpossible way around it and that is to use for the young local lads and not just rely on NIQs. Both Olding and Marshall are good goal kickers and presumably one of them will be playing outside him so why not use them.

I keep using this example but Stephen Larkham couldn't kick for toffee. He is remembered as one of the best out halves of the pro era. Imagine there was no Matt Burke though, there probably would have been no Stephen Larkham!

It already has. WE had enough kick attempts to beat the Dragons and we sure as hell had enough chances to get even a bonus point win against Glasgae.The question for me is this. Since dHumph was kicking well - about 2005/6 we have lost game after game after game, not because we were necessarily the inferior side but because our kickers couldn't regularly kick a dead granny tied to their boot. WE all know the old mantra about repeating the same mistakes ad infinitum - well step forward Ulster. There are better goal kickers within the squad than Paddy Jackson. Porter for example was at one time a very good kicker indeed. Why Ulster at least didn't even attempt to sign Steenson is mystifying.

The whole point of the game is to score more points than the opposition. Denying the obvious that young PJ is in the recent tradition of having the kicking skills of a one legged unicyclist is maddening in the extreme. I know it is disliked by many but using overseas 'granny qualified' players is something in the pro era that we cannot ignore. If we need to use NIE and NIQ players to ensure a) our on field success and therefore financial security - and b) the future of our International side in competition with financial and player available rugby giants like France, England, South Africa and of course the ABs. All the Irish sides have an ambition to stay at the top table. Well, if we have great players serving uo great rugby only to be failed by poor goal kicking then we need to address this immediately.

In my professional life I was from time to time colleagues with a few people who were qualified up the Khyber with doctorates and walls covered with diplomas and awards. All very well but none of them could deliver a lecture. Their idea of it was to photo copy a physiology text and read it out. The equivalent if you like of having all the knowledge and ability to understand the theory of how to kick a rugby ball at a set of goal posts but not being able to get the ball off the ground. Eventually the crap lecturers were shoved sideways ( we couldn't sack them). I see no problem with taking the kicking job away from P.J. if there is - and there are - a few guys better equipped for the job. If P.J comes up to snuff, and he can, as did Madigan, then there is a better player for Ulster and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quality rant!

Quality rant!
    I'm sitting in a beautiful old cottage on the shores of Loch Hourn on the West Coast of Scotland. Internet access from the guy next door. I really love Ireland but this place is stunning. There are 5 peaks all over 3,000 feet high across the Loch and two behind the cottage that are also Munros. I would live here in a heartbeat. I'm just about to head out for the Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye. The sun is shining. All is right with the world - except for Paddy's feckin goal kicking.

Thing that annoys me most about PJ's kicking is that the day he lined up in the new Lansdowne Road for the first time he had the most perfect style.

That is no longer evident.

Who is to blame for knocking him off kilter? jaco, you've questioned a certain Doak a few times on here before, is he earning his salt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can another one of the 1st XV starters not take the kicks? How is Payne/Marshall with the boot?

jacothelad wrote: »
    I'm sitting in a beautiful old cottage on the shores of Loch Hourn on the West Coast of Scotland. Internet access from the guy next door. I really love Ireland but this place is stunning. There are 5 peaks all over 3,000 feet high across the Loch and two behind the cottage that are also Munros. I would live here in a heartbeat. I'm just about to head out for the Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye. The sun is shining. All is right with the world - except for Paddy's feckin goal kicking.

Depressingly similar to a post you made this time last year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement