Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think Henderson is certainly good enough to start, either at 4 or 6.

Still, a strong bench. Leicester's team is very solid, they'll put it up to you up front and have some good backs. I think Ulster will win at home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Leicester's 1-10 is a serious proposition and they've plenty of ability in their centres too. I'd take Leicester's front five as a unit over Ulster's but the home advantage and bench should see them win and deny Leicester the LBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leicester have been a little bit disappointing this season, but then so have Ulster as well I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not unlucky. He, like Williams I prefer to come off the bench when the teams are tired and weaker. Williams started against the hairsprays last week and he was swallowed up every time. They have their biggest influence off the bench.

Why is it better to use Henderson for 20 minutes rather than 60 or 80 minutes? Henderson was awesome off the bench against the Ospreys, but he was awesome from the start in the other games he's played. He is far too good to be benching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Would also prefer to see Hendson on from the start although I agree that Williams is best for the last quarter.

Roll on Friday night, hopefully a good game with an Ulster win.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Very strong Leicester pack.

Henderson can count himself unlucky.

Marshall will really need to have a great game at 9.

If our pack can get the edge on them then we will beat them with our backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Does anyone know if there's any particular place in Dublin where Ulster fans meet up for the matches along the lines of the way us Munster heads meet in Break for the Border?
    Would like to go and watch the match tomorrow night but obviously the soccer will take precedence in most pubs so was wondering if there might be anywhere with a bit of atmosphere.

I don't know of any but it would be great if there were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

awec wrote: »
    I don't know of any but it would be great if there were!

I'm guessing the Ulster supporters club don't have a Dublin branch then?

Bassfish wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Ulster supporters club don't have a Dublin branch then?

Ask on UAFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Leicester team, as usual, doesn't look too hot on paper but is going to be a serious challenge for Ulster. Watch out for Niki Goneva at 13, Tigers won't miss Manu Tuilagi at all if Goneva keeps up his current form. Good to see Niall Morris continuing at FB.

15. Niall Morris, 14. Miles Benjamin, 13. Vereniki Goneva, 12. Dan Bowden, 11. Adam Thompstone, 10. Toby Flood (capt), 9. Ben Youngs,
    1. Logovii Mulipola, 2. Tom Youngs, 3. Dan Cole, 4. Louis Deacon, 5. Geoff Parling, 6. Ed Slater, 7. Julian Salvi, 8. Jordan Crane,

16. Neil Briggs, 17. Boris Stankovich, 18. Fraser Balmain, 19. Graham Kitchener, 20. Thomas Waldrom, 21. David Mele, 22. Owen Williams, 23. Terrence Hepetema

Have to say I don't know much about those outside backs at all... Morris aside.

.ak wrote: »

Maybe it's because I'm not able to watch the AP this season because BT have the rights but I don't really too much about much of that side.

Obviously names like Cole, Parling, Deacon, Crane, the Youngs boys and Flood stand out but I can't say I know too much about the rest. I've read that Goneva, Thompstone and Benjamin are supposedly good but can't say I've really seen them.

Then I look at their bench and aside from Waldrom I haven't heard of any of them. To be fair Leicester fans may say the same about Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Bassfish wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's any particular place in Dublin where Ulster fans meet up for the matches along the lines of the way us Munster heads meet in Break for the Border?
    Would like to go and watch the match tomorrow night but obviously the soccer will take precedence in most pubs so was wondering if there might be anywhere with a bit of atmosphere.

Kielys will show it and probably have the football on in the corner tbh

Woolshed I would say too for more of a central location
    http://www.woolshedbaa.com/dublin/whats-on/rugby/

.ak wrote: »

They're pretty good. Bowden is a talented player who came from NZ to London Irish with things expected of him but it never really sparked for him. He has settled and is a decent playmaker. Goneva is a powerhouse. Typical Fijian with great feet, lovely hands and can hammer in a try from anywhere.

Here's one he scored a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v5Ls53NQK0

Thompstone is a big lump. Only went to Tigers a year ago and had a real breakthrough season scoring regularly.

I know very little about Benjamin aside from the fact he has been injured for the past year. IBF might be able to shed some light on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's Miles Benjamin's debut. Blaine Scully, the yank, had been playing quite well for them on the wing but must have picked up an injury against the Saints last weekend.

Goneva actually looks better at 13 than I thought he would, but he's no Tuilagi. Bowden is OK but I'd be surprised if he caused too much trouble.

Tigers aren't as strong as they have been in previous years due to a few injuries. Also don't think their back row is up to much (Salvi is good at times, but that unit is nowhere near what it used to be).

They're still good though, and as well coached as ever. I'd be disappointed if Ulster didn't beat them and they should be looking to deny a LBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jersey coming to Ravenhill on Friday in the B&I Cup. Great chance for the Ulster fans to see their favourite number 10 NOC.

I hear jacothelad will be selling his patented NOC pyjamas as well as COME BACK HOME NOC signs and t-shirts outside the ground. 25% discount for boardsies.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/latest/2013/10/paul-marshall-signs-new-3-year-deal/

Ulster scrumhalf, Paul Marshall, has signed a new three-year contract extension with the Province that will keep him at Ravenhill until 2017.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Interesting news, particularly the length of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Jersey coming to Ravenhill on Friday in the B&I Cup. Great chance for the Ulster fans to see their favourite number 10 NOC.

I hear jacothelad will be selling his patented NOC pyjamas as well as COME BACK HOME NOC signs and t-shirts outside the ground. 25% discount for boardsies.

I'm actually going to be in a nearby church bell-tower with a Barrett M82 and a sniperscope and iof I see him signing anything with Humph it's a go.

jacothelad wrote: »
    I'm actually going to be in a nearby church bell-tower with a Barrett M82 and a sniperscope and iof I see him signing anything with Humph it's a go.

NO-TO-NOC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Any update on Fez? His contract is up in December, isn't it? You'd hope to be hearing news either way soonish.

Was interviewed on Friday, I think he said he was hoping to get the moon boot off this week.

He said on Sky the other night that he hoped to get on the pitch December/January time. Fingers crossed.

BBC says Muller, Gilroy, Williams and hopefully Afoa will all be fit again for the match this weekend.

Afoa would be a massive boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Afoa will hopefully be on the bench permitting no setbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I see Olding has followed in Hendo's footsteps and shaved his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Where did you see that?

Nick out and Afoa on the bench.

There is a stat elsewhere which shows that Ulster have won 7 of their last 10 away HEC games.

That's pretty impressive, although I think some of those will be against Italian sides.

I'll try and figure it out off the top of my head

2012/13
    Saracens (A) LOST
    Castres (A) WON
    Northampton (A) WON
    Glasgow (A) WON

2011/12
    Munster (A) WON
    Clermont Auvergne (A) LOST
    Aironi (A) WON
    Leicester (A) LOST

2010/11
    Northampton (A) LOST
    Bath (A) WON (Nev's famous try in the snow)

Hmmm, not sure if I've missed someone out there as that would suggest it's 6 wins from 10 but only one game away to Italian opposition, but it's still a pretty good record given that we couldn't buy a win on the road for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    There is a stat elsewhere which shows that Ulster have won 7 of their last 10 away HEC games.

That's pretty impressive, although I think some of those will be against Italian sides.

I'll try and figure it out off the top of my head

2012/13
    Saracens (A) LOST
    Castres (A) WON
    Northampton (A) WON
    Glasgow (A) WON

2011/12
    Munster (A) WON
    Clermont Auvergne (A) LOST
    Aironi (A) WON
    Leicester (A) LOST

2010/11
    Northampton (A) LOST
    Bath (A) WON (Nev's famous try in the snow)

Hmmm, not sure if I've missed someone out there as that would suggest it's 6 wins from 10 but only one game away to Italian opposition, but it's still a pretty good record given that we couldn't buy a win on the road for years.

Aironi away - 6 - 43, in 2010/11. The start of Ferris' major knee injury. Considering the fact that we were robbed by Blind Dave at Clermont that is pretty good.

Have you any info on the rumoured big signing for next season. Reliable source on UAFC seems sure of one - or has OneF been passed by the surgeon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Fairly serious Montpellier team. Could be a cracker this.

1. Yvan Watremez - 2. Mickael Ivaldi - 3.Maximiliano Bustos - 4.Jim HAMILTON - 5. Thibaut Privat - 6. Fulgence Ouedraogo (Captain) - 7. Mamuka Gorgodze - 8. Kélian Galletier - 9. Jonathan Pélissié - 10. François Trinh-Duc - 11. Yoan Audrin - 12. Wynand Olivier - 13. Anthony Tuitavaké - 14. Timoci Nagusa - 15. Anthony Floch

Alternates: 16. Thomas Bianchin - 17. Misha Nariashvili - 18. Nicolas Mas - 19. Fred Quercy - 20. Robins Tchale-Watchou - 21. Benoit Paillaugue - 22. Thomas Combezou - 23. Benoit Sicart

jacothelad wrote: »
    Aironi away - 6 - 43, in 2010/11. The start of Ferris' major knee injury. Considering the fact that we were robbed by Blind Dave at Clermont that is pretty good.

Have you any info on the rumoured big signing for next season. Reliable source on UAFC seems sure of one - or has OneF been passed by the surgeon?

No idea Jaco, I'll try and find out.

Ferris was on Sky last Friday saying that he was getting the moonboot off this week so maybe the doctors have a had a look and passed him fit for action (in a month or two time) and therefore he has signed a central contract, but I would have thought that the IRFU would want to see him play at least a game or two before offering him a deal.

I think we can assume it isn't Afoa signing on for a new contract!

It is probably a bit too early for Anscombe to be offered a new contract, although it could be that, but I reckon Ulster will want to hold off until Christmas.

Other than that I think Chris Henry is out of contract at the end of the season so maybe he has signed a new contract.

As for signings I had heard that Ulster were talking to players that would be pleasing to the fans, but haven't heard any names. After a quiet summer we could in theory be bringing in two new NIQs and one new Project Player for next season so busy times no doubt for Humph and Logan.

1. Yvan Watremez - 2. Mickael Ivaldi - 3.Maximiliano Bustos - 4.Jim HAMILTON - 5. Thibaut Privat - 6. Fulgence Ouedraogo (Captain) - 7. Mamuka Gorgodze - 8. Kélian Galletier - 9. Jonathan Pélissié - 10. François Trinh-Duc - 11. Yoan Audrin - 12. Wynand Olivier - 13. Anthony Tuitavaké - 14. Timoci Nagusa - 15. Anthony Floch

Alternates: 16. Thomas Bianchin - 17. Misha Nariashvili - 18. Nicolas Mas - 19. Fred Quercy - 20. Robins Tchale-Watchou - 21. Benoit Paillaugue - 22. Thomas Combezou - 23. Benoit Sicart

Cracking half back combo and two ridiculous flankers, this will be a real toughie. Best will probably be having nightmares about Jim Hamilton as well.

Pretty rubbish scheduling for it to clash with the Leinster game though. Montpellier v Ulster deserves a lot more than the red button treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

That is a MASSIVE pack with real class in the backs.

Ulster will be happy with a LBP I think.

No idea Jaco, I'll try and find out.

Ferris was on Sky last Friday saying that he was getting the moonboot off this week so maybe the doctors have a had a look and passed him fit for action (in a month or two time) and therefore he has signed a central contract, but I would have thought that the IRFU would want to see him play at least a game or two before offering him a deal.

I think we can assume it isn't Afoa signing on for a new contract!

It is probably a bit too early for Anscombe to be offered a new contract, although it could be that, but I reckon Ulster will want to hold off until Christmas.

Other than that I think Chris Henry is out of contract at the end of the season so maybe he has signed a new contract.

As for signings I had heard that Ulster were talking to players that would be pleasing to the fans, but haven't heard any names. After a quiet summer we could in theory be bringing in two new NIQs and one new Project Player for next season so busy times no doubt for Humph and Logan.

Think I saw someone say they saw Humphries at the airport the day before the Leicester game. Might have been in England, can't remember.

That is a MASSIVE pack with real class in the backs.

Ulster will be happy with a LBP I think.

Yup, can imagine Tom Court et al will be dreading seeing Mas and Tchale Watchou coming on after 60 after dealing with the other two!

• Advertisement

Cracking half back combo and two ridiculous flankers, this will be a real toughie. Best will probably be having nightmares about Jim Hamilton as well.

Pretty rubbish scheduling for it to clash with the Leinster game though. Montpellier v Ulster deserves a lot more than the red button treatment.

Definitely. If I wasn't going to the Leinster game it'd be this I'd be watching.
    Should be some game.

Think I saw someone say they saw Humphries at the airport the day before the Leicester game. Might have been in England, can't remember.

I would say that any news will probably be contract related because I think any new NIQ signings will probably depend on what sort of European competition there is next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

With Lewis Stevenson called into Ulster squad, I guess it will be Nick Williams who is struggling with injury. All @hcup teams imminent

#GetMullerAndPienaarOnTwitter

starts today

• Advertisement

Can't wait to see D Fizzy P take that scrum apart!

Good team. Great backline. :D

"The Pain" :cool:

Good to see Chris Henry's twitter name covers all bases

@chrishenry678

Callum Black obviously doesn't have a very high opinion of his status within the squad

@callumblack86

Jackson has put a big foot forward in terms of Ireland selection. He must surely be ahead of the rest for being the backup 10.

Still only 21 too, he's going to be some player in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Jackson has put a big foot forward in terms of Ireland selection. He must surely be ahead of the rest for being the backup 10.

Still only 21 too, he's going to be some player in a few years.

Yeah, he took an awful lot of stick last year but people seem to forget what age he is. Definitely will have something to say about the green 10 in the coming years!

iamjenko wrote: »
    Yeah, he took an awful lot of stick last year but people seem to forget what age he is. Definitely will have something to say about the green 10 in the coming years!

If there was no vested interest from other sets of supporters in terms of candidates at their own provinces, Jackson would have been far more fairly evaluated. As it was, people refused to put their bias to one side and judge him on his performances. He's a very good player and will be a great one, hopefully. With Madigan not getting games and Keatley still not inspiring, it will be hard to leave him out of the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Buer wrote: »
    If there was no vested interest from other sets of supporters in terms of candidates at their own provinces, Jackson would have been far more fairly evaluated. As it was, people refused to put their bias to one side and judge him on his performances. He's a very good player and will be a great one, hopefully. With Madigan not getting games and Keatley still not inspiring, it will be hard to leave him out of the 23.

I agree completely and alway try to look beyond provincial favouritism when it comes to national selection (which is not hard being from Connacht!) Jackson does not for some reason seem to inspire the nation like the other potential candidates, but his record is very inspiring. The boy is a class act. I would actually put Chris Henry in the same bracket, does not get his proper recognition in my book. Some great results this weekend for all 4 provinces, top of that list tho was Ulster.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I agree completely and alway try to look beyond provincial favouritism when it comes to national selection (which is not hard being from Connacht!) Jackson does not for some reason seem to inspire the nation like the other potential candidates, but his record is very inspiring. The boy is a class act. I would actually put Chris Henry in the same bracket, does not get his proper recognition in my book. Some great results this weekend for all 4 provinces, top of that list tho was Ulster.

The problem was that he came into the Ireland team and replaced a legend. That meant that he was always going to be under the highest scrutiny. Some of the criticism was OTT, for example I think Tom McGurk described him as "that schoolboy". Some of the criticism was also fair, there is no doubt he lay too deep at times and he was occasionally a bit uncertain.

He was probably thrown in a bit soon for his own good but it will stand to him moving forward and as I've said before in a couple of years time (when he'll still only be 23) I honestly think he will be a cracking player, amongst the very best actually. That said there will still be off days ahead of him as he is still young, it's how he responds to those off days that will mark him out. So far he has coped well.

He has the potential to be better than Sexton.

In my opinion that is.

He has the potential to be better than Sexton.

In my opinion that is.

He certainly had that look about him in first game in the Aviva in the multi-interprovincial clash.

I'm not so sure though. His passing game has shown glimpses of being Sexton-esque, but he doesn't have the running game at top level IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement