Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

What do people think Spence's position is?

I don't think he has the passing ability for 12 and would prefer to see him at 13. That said I think he could do a good job on the wing if Cave is prefered at 13.

I dunno about Spences passing ability because I havn't seen enough of him but he is good at offloading the ball.

Too greedy and focused to be a 12 imo. 13 is where he needs to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What do people think Spence's position is?

I don't think he has the passing ability for 12 and would prefer to see him at 13. That said I think he could do a good job on the wing if Cave is prefered at 13.

It is going to be a problem and I hope that he doesn't become the victim of rugby's version of musical chairs like Paddy Wallace which hindered his career drastically. Spence is too valuable a player to simply shunt out to the wing although he is a very good 11 or 14. I would say that while he is ostensibly a better 13 than 12, he is going to find it hard to shift Cave. Darren( and O'Malley maybe) is the most naturally gifted 13 in Ireland after BOD, only lacking real, top-end acceleration to be a very good international. Then there is the arrival of Payne who is a very good 13 and 15. In order to keep our D'Arcy in the game, he will play at 13 at times. Given that Spence has only started 16 league and 5 Heineken games don't you think it is a bit premature to write him off as a 12 considering most of his games have been on the wing and a few at 13. Right now I would have him over Gordon Darcy as a 12 in a heartbeat. He is a beast in defence and is really quick going forward. He is a lot faster and at least as strong as Gordon.

The next obstacle for Spence is that Luke Marshall just might become an absolute gem at 12. Marshall has only played 311 minutes of pro rugby so far but already has looked like he has been around for years. He is immensely strong, pretty fast and is brilliantly skilled. (Marshall is actually a better 10 than most back-up 10s in Ireland.) So Spence has great competition for his place which is good for him and good for Ulster and Ireland. Even on the wings there is a list of good players waiting to get starts. Gaston, Cochrane, Nelson never mind Gilroy are real prospects.

The question maybe is which of those other guys are good enough to play with Spence rather than which position should he be moved too, in order to accommodate another player. This type of thinking has become a scourge in Irish Rugby.

Jared Payne has arrived and will be available next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

jacothelad wrote: »
    Jared Payne has arrived and will be available next week.

Savage player, Ulster have recruited really well again. Getting rid of Botha and brining in Afoa was a master stroke. Adds one more serious ball carrier to an already very mobile pack.

I fancy Ulster to win something this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Whitten scores in the corner, conversion missed 5-0

Dan Tuohy try after great play again from Humphreys. Converted 3-12

Tuohy going to start the season with a bang again? Delighted

He had a stormer last week aswell

Yup, I think he's a cracking player. He peaked at the wrong time last season. Injuries really stopped him being involved in the international scene.

He's the closest 2nd row we have to a Lawes/Grey style of player. Providing he's on form!

Williams in , now 10-12 to Ulster

• Advertisement

Yes, I have Tuohy and Williams in my fantasypro12 team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

This isn't televised right?

Hagz wrote: »
    This isn't televised right?

right, following updates here - http://twitter.com/#!/UlsterRugby

60M penalty from HUMPHREY , Ulster lead 15-13

theboss80 wrote: »
    60M penalty from Keatley , Ulster lead 15-13
    Sneaky Transfer? :pac:

Sneaky Transfer? :pac:

:o Brainfart lol

I have been up way too long today :P

16 - 15 to Aironi. Ulster's front row under pressure. Lineout messy. Team playing like drains. McAllister subbed off and Deccie Fitz playing loosehead. :eek:

Have Gilroy in my team too!!

Gilroy scores a third try after great play by Marshy. 16-20

Try for Gilroy, set up by Paul Marshall. Against the run of play. Humphs misses. Ref over rules the touch judges and gives it. 16 - 22

• Advertisement

Try for Gilroy, set up by Paul Marshall. Against the run of play. Humphs misses. Ref over rules the touch judges and gives it. 16 - 22

Are you watching it????

Pen. Ulster 16 - 22 still. Missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Three tries now for Ulster, hopefully they can push on and claim the bonus

Ulster are playing like drains in what sounds like excessive heat. Poor discipline.

Monster pen 54rom Humphs. 16 - 25.

Monster pen 54rom Humphs. 16 - 25.

himself and Pienaar have yee well covered from distance!

What's on the clock?

• Advertisement

19 - 25. Cronin in the bin. 6 mins left.

himself and Pienaar have yee well covered from distance!

What's on the clock?

Hopefully Humphries will kick as well as he was last season, hes only 4 from 6 today.

Game over Ulster win 25-19

FT 25-19

Aironi get the losing bp and Ulster fail to get a try bonus point. Thats twice in a row where Ulster got 3 tries but failed to score a 4th.

Marshall knocks on with the lion open. F.T. 19 - 25

• Advertisement

Good win tbh, not a place many will take results from this year.

That's last night's Leinster game and today's Ulster game where they should have but didn't manage the BP.

15. Chris Czekaj 14. Alex Cuthbert 13. Casey Laulala 12. Gavin Evans 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Lewis Jones

8. Xavier Turncoat 7. Martyn Williams 6. Maama Molitika 5. Paul Tito
    (c) 4. Michael Paterson 3. Scott Andrews 2. T Rhys Thomas 1. Sam Hobbs

16. Rhys Williams 17. Nathan Trevett 18. James Monck 19. James Down 20. Thomas Young 21. Richie Rees 22. Rhys Patchell 23. Dafydd Hewitt

Ulster (15-9):
    J Payne; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, I Whitten; I Humphreys, P Marshall;
    (1-8):
    D Fitzpatrick, A Kyriacou, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, C Henry, R Diack;

Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, N McComb, M McComish, I Porter, P Jackson, A D'Arcy

Payne gets his debut, Whitten still on the wing 2TH props and 3 backrowers who are best at number 8.

Afoa has looked very lively in the loose for New Zealand today.

A serious signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Was Payne signed as a fullback?

utility back afaik

I think so. Is his best position and the position that he plays that Ulster are weakest.

Ulster have plenty of quality at center and on the wing while the best FB they have is D'arcy who is decent but not great.

FAO: Anyone going to the Ulster game tonight
    Wagamama competition tonight at Ravenhill - “find the mama”
    I’ll be wearing a red rose in the food village area from 6.30pm.
    First person to find me & say that Chris Henry’s fav wagamama dish is a steak teriyaki wins meal for 2. Happy hunting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Aww they get an entire food village?!

Humphries misses a penalty.

Payne did well with the first high ball he had to deal with

Ulster looking dangerous today. Ulster 3 up Humphries penalty

EDIT Payne had an excellent break there, he threw a pass to Gilroy that was marginally forward. Would have been a try otherwise.

EDIT2 Humphries missed another penalty, Cardiff are active at the breakdown. They are getting a few turnovers but giving away penalties. Another missed penalty for Ulster. 1 out of 4 successes so far.

• Advertisement

Gilroy is ****ing fantastic. If he keeps going he should be in the reckoning for Ireland come Six Nations.

Loving the impromptu chants from the Ulster crowd as well!

Good try from Cave.

Spence pass frees Gilroy who makes a break, Cave follows up after Gilroy is pulled down short.

Humphry converts to make it 10-0

EDIT Saw a good banner there, welcome to fortress Ravenhill the house of Payne

Try Ulster , Gilroy with brilliant run and offloads to Cave who slides in. Humphries
    converts
    Ulster 10-0 up

Gilroy and Cave actually work so well together.

Ulster are playing like Leinster at the moment

Ulster are playing like Leinster at the moment

They have the players for it. Just need to keep them fit. That was a gorgeous try

Fantastic try, boy we could do with that kind of cohesiveness with Ireland...

Cave gets his second backs move off the back of a lineout

Marshall Humphries Spence Whitten Cave try line

17-0

What age is Cave? could he be a viable replacement for BOD. He had a great start to the season so far and 2 dot down tonight aswell. Would like to see him get a run come 6 nations

• Advertisement

What age is Cave? could he be a viable replacement for BOD. He had a great start to the season so far and 2 dot down tonight aswell. Would like to see him get a run come 6 nations

23/24 I think. A natural successor imo.

Spence did really well there to recover from his error. Brave lad going down on that ball!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement