Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

In fairness 3 of them were in March/Aprul 2013 if I recall correctly

Maybe they were................ but it is not good. I really feel for the boy. He has taken the long sabatical and is still struggling. It is a bad situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 rugbyU

Holy overreaction.

it's been nearly a year since he last, obviously ideally he would avoid them totally but I doubt he is about to retire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

rugbyU wrote: »
    Holy overreaction.

it's been nearly a year since he last, obviously ideally he would avoid them totally but I doubt he is about to retire.

It possible is but that one he took for Ireland against France last year I thought killed him. The way he was lying on the ground I just thought he was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Have people looked at what seems to be the cause for the disproportionately high occurrence of concussion with Marshall, relative to other players? Is it bad luck, bad technique, overcommittment, etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 rugbyU

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Have people looked at what seems to be the cause for the disproportionately high occurrence of concussion with Marshall, relative to other players? Is it bad luck, bad technique, overcommittment, etc?

well last weekend it was bad luck to my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Yeah,it's not like he was tackling with his head,he just caught a boot from one one of his teammates on the way down after a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hes had a sickening collision of heads, a kneed in the head and been kicked in the head. I think luck plays a part in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Really unlucky for him... have to start to wonder what's ahead for him after rugby in later life if this trend continues.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Really unlucky for him... have to start to wonder what's ahead for him after rugby in later life if this trend continues.

Yes. He'll probably be only fit to be a politician. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just started reading the Wiki about concussion, and this struck me as extremely ominous for Marshall:
    There is also a negative progressive process in which smaller impacts cause the same symptom severity

I think he may need to seriously think about how much a rugby career is worth to him, at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There as three concussion s in about a month or so last year. The second and third one he sh8uld have been stood down for and were imo because he was playing when shouldn't have been. Other than those two its one a year which isn't really abnormal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Hurrah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tickets for Ulster v Connacht booked in East Terrace :cool:

Looking forward to seeing Ferris back and the new Ravenhill - Ulster fans always great craic down in Galway so hope to repay ye with a bringing a vocal away group!!

Apparently PaddyMac and Adam Macklin are both off to England next season probably Rotterham.

This leaves Ulster with Black Fitzpatrick Murphy and Lutton as experienced props in the squad.

Really need signings in the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Apparently PaddyMac and Adam Macklin are both off to England next season probably Rotterham.

This leaves Ulster with Black Fitzpatrick Murphy and Lutton as experienced props in the squad.

Really need signings in the front row.

real shame these guys have been hampered by injury. I had high hopes for PMAC. Ulster starting to looking a little light across the pack. Hopefully DHumph has a few aces up his sleeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    real shame these guys have been hampered by injury. I had high hopes for PMAC. Ulster starting to looking a little light across the pack. Hopefully DHumph has a few aces up his sleeve

There seems to be a bit of a clear out going on. Annett is away too as is it seems is Farrell and of course Court, Muller and Afoa. Hopefully Humph has a few signings lined up and it's just confidentiality agreements that are holding back any announcements for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ulster's reply to the Saracen's video

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's the best Traveller call out video yet :D

• Advertisement

Ulster
    Chant: Stand up for the Ulstermen
    Colours: White, red and black
    Signings: Usually south african
    Video: A random assortment of people motivating their club whilst doing random activities.

Saracens
    Chant: Stand up for the Saracens
    Colours: Black, red and white
    Signings: Usually south african
    Video: A random assortment of people motivating their club whilst doing random activities.

Am I banned?:pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I saw that countdown on twitter earlier and had no idea what it was for.

Just so long as we follow this video up by dishing out a good beating I'm happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That Ulster video is awesome. Fair play. Brought a tear to my eye, and I'm not even an Ulster fan!!

I always associated the "stand up" song to be for Ulstermen, was really annoyed that Sarries stole that song.

Their PR dept is not classy, the day they drowned out the Munster supporters in Watford in the HC with the PA system blaring was not in the spirit of the game. So hope that they get a warm welcome at Ravenhill !

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I always associated the "stand up" song to be for Ulstermen, was really annoyed that Sarries stole that song.

Their PR dept is not classy, the day they drowned out the Munster supporters in Watford in the HC with the PA system blaring was not in the spirit of the game. So hope that they get a warm welcome at Ravenhill !

With just about every rugby chant for the Irish provinces, who are late comers to mainstream support (only attracting crowds of 300 / 400 to games for interpro's with the exception of the odd test match every 5 or 10 years), all of their chants are taken from previously established national sports teams or GAA.

"The Fields of Athenry" came to major prominence amongst Irish sports fans following Irelands visit to Italia 90, where it became a crowd anthem at the tournament. On the back of that it then spread to British soccer clubs with major Irish following, such as Celtic FC and Liverpool (who altered the words to "Anfield Road"). Munster, then becoming the first of the Irish provinces to enjoy European rugby crusade, took a generic Irish sports song for their games which then became associated with them and since the growth of Connacht support, perhaps more appropriately, has become their anthem.

"Stand Up" is also a soccer anthem, again as long back as I can remember was sung by the Irish soccer team "Stand up for the boys in Green", it is also widely used in GAA matches "Stand up for the Boys in Blue" being a long used Dublin chant.

"Molly Malone" is as old a rugby chant as it gets, it used to ring around Lansdowne Road well before "fields of Athenry" as a the Irish rugby chant of choice, but as trends changed, and particularly with other songs from other sports in major events (take a leaf from soccer support and bringing it to rugby) it never really made it into soccer circles and this lost use in the Irish rugby world, however it's been used in Leinster schools rugby for decades upon decades, possibly even century, I don't know, but the the effect of molly malone lyrics up to "She wheeled her wheel barrow through streets broad and narrow crying *clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap* SCHOOL NAME!"

Come on you boys in Blue used by Leinster is also a football / GAA chant, another chicken and egg case of which came first, but come on you boys in green for the national team and come on you boys in blue for the Dublin team.

So in summary, don't be annoyed with Sarries stealing "Stand Up", as all the provincial tunes are stolen from other parts of rugby or other sports entirely :)

Fair enough points and well documented.

For me some songs are synonomous with certain clubs, especially in the modern era, I know lots were "borrowed" from other clubs etc (eg fields of Athenry by Munster, which is actually in Galway as we all know) but the songs become part of the fibre of the club, "Stand up and Fight" being one example.

Stand up for the Ulstermen is a song that I personally associate with Ulster, I know the "Stand up" element was used elsewhere by others. It was for me taken and used by a new look PR dept in Sarries a few years ago when the South African money flooded in. Big games in Wembley with a singer blaring out the words over the PA to try and get the crowd going. The song was used by Ulster and everyone in Rugby understood that. Just think that it is bad taste and a bad reflection on a club to use a song commercially that is associated with another club.

It also shows a lack of originality, which is a sad reflection on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

You have to question Saracens PR dept

http://www.saracens.com/video/?vid=477

Hate the voiceover of WJMcB.

There's only one answer to this and I hope they get it with interest.

I LOVE the Saracens PR department...

How you can hate anything that gave us this...

Right Said Fred no less...with players cameos.... it's pure fu*kin GOLD! :pac:

An awful lot of forced standing will be had in the Quarter so.

First to sit loses.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ferris is going to annihilate them.

phog wrote: »
    You have to question Saracens PR dept

http://www.saracens.com/video/?vid=477

Hate the voiceover of WJMcB.

There's only one answer to this and I hope they get it with interest.

It appears to have been removed? What was it?

EDIT: NVM, I found it

• Advertisement

Ha that's very good, I like it alot!

Nick Williams has returned to training after disciplinary. UR to make no further comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I hear Ferris is to bench on Friday night. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

I hear Ferris is to bench on Friday night. Can't wait!

Nice if true. How much time will they give him you reckon? about 10-15 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

shuffol wrote: »

He's a massive talent, not sure where he'll end up but I think he will be just as critical as JP after another full season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Payne set to play 10 tomorrow night for Ulster, apparently. Could be interesting!

Ferris a doubt after picking up some niggles in training.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/payne-set-for-flyhalf-as-ferris-forced-to-wait-30088403.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Payne set to play 10 tomorrow night for Ulster, apparently. Could be interesting!

Ferris a doubt after picking up some niggles in training.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/payne-set-for-flyhalf-as-ferris-forced-to-wait-30088403.html

I was thinking about this, if you haven't been taking contact for 16 months it's inevitable the body is going to hurt after a week or two of contact so if he has to wait another week then it's worth it, as long as it isn't the ankle reacting which that's report would suggest it isn't.

Payne at 10 is worth a look. He had the attacking skills against the Dragons two weeks ago, all whole 80 mins is another matter. It also allows for a back three of Bowe, Scholes and Gilroy which is a really exciting attacking unit. The pitch should be in good order I after a week of nice Spring weather and we may see some good attacking rugby tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

Edit - rumours on uafc that Jackson may be released to Ulster. May be a wind up as I've learnt not to trust that place recently but would be interesting for both Ulster and Ireland if that were the case, it would be a bit bizarre for Joe to make that switch now though, I can't see much logic to it so for now I'm calling it a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    I was thinking about this, if you haven't been taking contact for 16 months it's inevitable the body is going to hurt after a week or two of contact so if he has to wait another week then it's worth it, as long as it isn't the ankle reacting which that's report would suggest it isn't.

Payne at 10 is worth a look. He had the attacking skills against the Dragons two weeks ago, all whole 80 mins is another matter. It also allows for a back three of Bowe, Scholes and Gilroy which is a really exciting attacking unit. The pitch should be in good order I after a week of nice Spring weather and we may see some good attacking rugby tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

Edit - rumours on uafc that Jackson may be released to Ulster. May be a wind up as I've learnt not to trust that place recently but would be interesting for both Ulster and Ireland if that were the case, it would be a bit bizarre for Joe to make that switch now though, I can't see much logic to it so for now I'm calling it a wind up.

I can't see Jackson being released unless Ulster were really, really pushing for it. Even then I can't imagine the IRFU or Joe allowing it. But with Madigan in the squad I suppose there is that option there if Ulster really are stuck. Would it be considered a vital game? I doubt it given that they are already in 3rd and 4 points clear of the Ospreys with this game in hand. It won't be the difference between a top 4 finish and not I wouldn't think.

What can Payne not do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What can Payne not do?

Have a baby.

Say mass.

Eat a fruit pastille without chewing it.

He probably can do the above tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've heard there's a picture out there somewhere if Payne giving away his last rolo to an old lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've heard there's a picture out there somewhere if Payne giving away his last rolo to an old lady.

Apparently his tears can cure cancer...

Too bad he never cries...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mfceiling wrote: »
    Apparently his tears can cure cancer...

Too bad he never cries...

Hey he's good but he's no Chuck Norris. You'd better watch yourself now.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-09-at-3.37.44-PM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Scarlets team v Ulster, Friday 14th March kick-off 7.05pm at Ravenhill:

15 Jordan Williams, 14 Kristian Phillips, 13 Gareth Maule, 12 Olly Barkley, 11 Frazier Climo, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Phil John, 2 Kirby Myhill, 3 Jacobie Adriaanse, 4 George Earle, 5 Johan Snyman, 6 Josh Turnbull, 7 John Barclay, 8 Rob McCusker ©

Replacements: Darran Harris, Rob Evans, Shaun Hopkins, Richard Kelly, Sione Timani, Aled Davies, Josh Lewis, Adam Warren

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Payne 15
    Nick Williams starting
    Dont know much aboud McCloskey
    Ferris Bench:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ulster XV and replacements to face Scarlets, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday (kick off 19:05) (15-9): J Payne, T Bowe, D Cave, S McCloskey, R Scholes, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), R Diack, R Wilson, S Doyle, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, R Lutton, L Stevenson, S Ferris, M Heaney, C Gilroy, R Andrew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Bet there's a few Scarlets wishing this game had gone ahead a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

ssaye2 wrote: »
    S Ferris

borat-dance.gif

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Dont know much aboud McCloskey

Got 60 minutes against the Dragons (when LMarshall got injured) did enough to earn a chance to start tomorrow.

Any ideas as to who will play 12 come the HEC QF, will Marshall be back? Funny coming into the season I would have said 12 was ulster's strongest position with Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall and Stuart Olding. However all three are injured at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

FERRIS!!!!!!!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement