Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

theboss80 wrote: »
    What age is Cave? could he be a viable replacement for BOD. He had a great start to the season so far and 2 dot down tonight aswell. Would like to see him get a run come 6 nations

23/24 I think. A natural successor imo.

Spence did really well there to recover from his error. Brave lad going down on that ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

theboss80 wrote: »
    What age is Cave? could he be a viable replacement for BOD. He had a great start to the season so far and 2 dot down tonight aswell. Would like to see him get a run come 6 nations
    24 and yes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

I've always liked Cave, may not be the quickest but always seems to do the right thing. Scores plenty too

17-0 at half time. Ulster playing great rugby in not so great conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Cave has Ulster syndrome. Have a breakout season. Get injured. Have a burst hype season. Return to a breakout season.

F*ck me Ireland are spoiled for Wings.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    Cave has Ulster syndrome. Have a breakout season. Get injured. Have a burst hype season. Return to a breakout season.

Good point. Each step doesn't have to last a season. Look at Tuohy last season.

Stev_o wrote: »

unfortunately a cycle they need to stop. Trimble will tell you all about it too.

Need to keep them fit, and keep them playing together. So much understanding growing between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Good point. Each step doesn't have to last a season. Look at Tuohy last season.

Absolutely and look at him this season, has started the same way. Last 2 games he was by far the best player on the park

Cave off???

Hope there isn't an injury that I missed

EDIT commentator mentioned that Cave is injured

I think David Humphries has had a major influence on how Ulster Rugby has progressed. The quality of the signings and faith shown in younger lads coming through. I know he is not the manager or anything but he is definitely pulling the strings in a major way on the running of the province, would that be fair to say? What is his official role? Director of Rugby?

• Advertisement

DH is the director of rugby. It is always hard to figure out what is Humphries work and what is Brian McLoughlin's. Both of them are doing good.

I agree , they must have a fantastic working relationship though because what is emerging up there is very exciting for the future , not only for Ulster Rugby but also Irish Rugby

Cardiff penalty now 17-3

EDIT Humphries off hurt Jackson replacing him on the field. I hope that Humphries isn't hurt I wouldn't really trust Jackson to take over the OHs job for the next few weeks.

I know its still early in the season but denying Cardiff a BP could be important in the shakeup for league places at the end of the season.

FT 20-3

Porter seems to like throwing at players knees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Good win, pity they didn't build on their 1st half score but I dont think I ever seen Cardiff play with such negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Humphreys is out of tomorrow's game with a shoulder knock. Jackson has been brought in to the starting line up. I reckon if Jackson could get the guts of 10 starts this season, he'll make a lot of progress. With NOC gone to Connacht, he's going to see a lot of game time this season as Ulster's back up 10. Have been quite impressed with him at times but his game needs a fair bit of work still. But he only turned 19 this year so has a lot of developing to do still. Great prospect. Big game for him tomorrow.

Ulster (15-9): J Payne; C Gilroy, N Spence, L Marshall, I Whitten; P Jackson, P Marshall;
    (1-8): D Fitzpatrick, A Kyriacou, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, C Henry, R Diack;
    Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, T Barker, W Faloon, B McIlroy, J McKinney, A D'Arcy

Tis interesting that Fitzpatrick seems to have gotten ahead of Paddy Mac at LH

I find the development of of Gerry Cronin even more interesting. The bloke was playing AIL for his life and moved north for work a couple of years ago, transferring his AIL rugby to Ballynahinch. Ulster notice him, give him a trial run last season and now he's their starting prop (until Afoa arrives anyway) and winning great praise from our northern brethren for his work both in the scrum and loose. Still only 27. If he continues to improve in a professional set up I wouldn't rule out Irish caps in the next couple of years.

It does beg the question what level of scouting was taking place when he was playing down south and why was he not involved in the Munster set up when they were struggling to find a tighthead and, two years ago, throwing a completely unprepared Archer into games. You would have to wonder what other players are knocking around the AIL that could make the grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

That's a bit weird for munster in particular because munster seem to me to be much more likely than Leinster to unearth a late bloomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Ulster (15-9): J Payne; C Gilroy, N Spence, L Marshall, I Whitten; P Jackson, P Marshall;

Great to see the age profile of all these youngsters coming through with Ulster, very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

durkadurka wrote: »
    That's a bit weird for munster in particular because munster seem to me to be much more likely than Leinster to unearth a late bloomer.

It's not that odd, Cronin and Ross were the type of props Munster didn't want, they wanted extra backrowers like Tom Ryan and (to an extent) Buckley. A few years ago the scrum was on the way to being really depowered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Jared Payne - Awesome.

Boom.

Paddy Jackson show and go, through the gap and runs in a nice try from about 35 metres out which he converts. 7-0.

Match here: http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/82733/1/watch-ospreys-vs-ulster-rugby.html

Jackson try and conversion Ulster 7-0 up

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

I said it the first time I saw him play as a schoolboy, paddy Jackson is the future of Irish rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This referee has a serious napolean whistle syndrome it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

The standard of refereeing so far this season, in the games I have seen, has been woeful and this is no exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

This referee has a serious napolean whistle syndrome it seems.

They all have. It's getting very tedious. They have to start letting the games flow

It would be nice if this ref could take a little refresher course in which direction a knock on is supposed to travel.

• Advertisement

12-7 half time to Ospreys. Referee is making some interesting calls.

What is it with drop goals today when there's a try on? Awful effort from Biggar.

under a lot of pressure in the scrums...

Ospreys penalty try. Now 22-7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Can never understand why Blond Hair Bear Jones isn't stiil part of the Welsh set up. Mitchell and James are average at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can never understand why Blond Hair Bear Jones isn't stiil part of the Welsh set up. Mitchell and James are average at best

If you look at his appearances history you'll see he's been out of action a lot in the last 3 seasons.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/4286.php?player=85314&includeref=dynamic

• Advertisement

Missed the game, how did Jared Payne and Paddy Jackson play?

Dragons:
    15 Martyn Thomas, 14 Tonderai Chavhanga, 13 Tom Riley, 12 Ashley Smith, 11 Mike Poole, 10 Jason Tovey, 9 Wayne Evans,
    8 Andrew Coombs, 7 Gavin Thomas, 6 Lewis Evans, 5 Rob Sidoli, 4 Adam Jones, 3 Nathan Buck, 2 Tom Willis (capt), 1 Nathan Williams.

Replacements:
    16 Rhys Buckley, 17 Phil Price, 18 Kieron Jenkins, 19 Darren Waters, 20 Jevon Groves, 21 Joe Bedford, 22 Geraint O'Driscoll, 23 Matthew Jones.

Ulster:
    15 Adam D'Arcy, 14 Craig Gilroy, 13 Luke Marshall, 12 Nevin Spence, 11 Ian Whitten, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Paul Marshall,
    8 Chris Henry, 7 Willie Faloon, 6 Pedrie Wannenburg, 5 Dan Tuohy, 4 Lewis Stevenson, 3 Jerry Cronin, 2 Nigel Brady, 1 Declan Fitzpatrick.

Replacements: 16 Andi Kyriacou, 17 Kyle McCall, 18 Adam Macklin, 19 T Barker, 20 Robbie Diack, 21 Ian Porter, 22 James McKinney, 23 Conor Gaston

I've backed Ulster for this one. Shtand up for the Ulsterrrrrmen!!

0-3 Ulster Jackson penalty. Dragons have given away 3/4 penalties already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

3 -3 , hoping for a bit more discipline tonight from Ulster.

gone a bit loose and scrappy...some wheels on their no. 14 !

• Advertisement

Stupid penalty from Gilroy to give away.

even stupider yellow for spence...far too high.

ouch, TRY

double ouch, converted as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Fitzpatrick is one of the worst scrummagers ive ever seen at this level :eek:

19-6 HT, Ulster have been useless.

I am pie wrote: »
    gone a bit loose and scrappy...some wheels on their no. 14 !

Thats Chavanga. ex-springbok and widely thought to be the fastest rugby player on the planet

porters passing is really sharp

Ulster are killing themselves, who threw that quick lineout ball along the ground?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wasn't a quick lineout, ball never went dead. It was just the worst pass in the history of rugby.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement