Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Ferris coming straight back into the Rabo to spare the poor bastards he'd come up against in AIL Div 2a!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ferris coming straight back into the Rabo to spare the poor bastards he'd come up against in AIL Div 2a!

Fully professional players can't play in division 2 at all now I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

McCloskey looked good against the Dragons(though who wouldnt), is a big lad.

Gilroy in the dog house?

shuffol wrote: »
    McCloskey looked good against the Dragons(though who wouldnt), is a big lad.

Gilroy in the dog house?

I think they are trying to give young Scholes a chance during the six nations.

Gilroy will be in next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Payne 15
    Nick Williams starting
    Dont know much aboud McCloskey
    Ferris Bench:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ulster XV and replacements to face Scarlets, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday (kick off 19:05) (15-9): J Payne, T Bowe, D Cave, S McCloskey, R Scholes, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), R Diack, R Wilson, S Doyle, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, R Lutton, L Stevenson, S Ferris, M Heaney, C Gilroy, R Andrew.
    McCloskey has been doing v well with a Dungannon side in UBL that is struggling.
    21 former Bangor Grammar.
    Earned his place with performance against Dragons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

McCloskey looks to be a good prospect, hope he continues to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

twitter
    https://twitter.com/stephenferris6

Great to be back tomorrow night for Ulster. Thanks to everyone who has supported me over the last 15 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Delighted to see Ferris return. One thing to keep the Northies minds off the Jackson snub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Delighted to see Ferris return. Delighted to have PJ available for the game. Us Irish rugby supporters are very fortunate that we have a coach that explains his squad selections. Having 3 experienced international out halves will stand us in good stead for the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hey he's good but he's no Chuck Norris. You'd better watch yourself now.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-09-at-3.37.44-PM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Lads from the outset, sorry for my ignorance but I've a few questions and reckon ye should be the lads to ask.....

1) Paddy Wallace - I can't remember when he got injured, what did he do and when is he expected to be back?

2) Paul Marshall - same as above

3) Stuart McCloskey - what's his story? Academy lad ya? Age, club, underage with Ireland?? Looked very good today!!

Thanks

S12b wrote: »
    Lads from the outset, sorry for my ignorance but I've a few questions and reckon ye should be the lads to ask.....

1) Paddy Wallace - I can't remember when he got injured, what did he do and when is he expected to be back?

3) Stuart McCloskey - what's his story? Academy lad ya? Age, club, underage with Ireland?? Looked very good today!!

Thanks

Paul Marshall was injured playing for the ravens earlier in the week, should be back next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Thanks

Wallace came back from his ACL injury and played a few games but I believe has had a bad reaction and there is chat that he is done which would be a real pity

McCloskey is 21, he didn't feature for the Irish U20s as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

No stats available on McCloskey. Looks like a big unit though.

bilston wrote: »
    McCloskey is 21, he didn't feature for the Irish U20s as far as I know.

With the likes of Olding Marshall and jj at 12 I would imagine it was easy to overlook him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

McCloskey was very impressive, held up ball carriers, two turnovers on the deck, powerful balanced runner and showed great hands too. Where do Ulster find all these centers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

wprathead wrote: »

The roar as soon as he makes that hit is fantastic, would make the hairs on your neck stand up.

With the likes of Olding Marshall and jj at 12 I would imagine it was easy to overlook him.

Yeah, a lot of competition, but he has really impressed me in the two games he has played. I reckon he will get a few more games this season with Marshall, Olding and Wallace out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    The roar as soon as he makes that hit is fantastic, would make the hairs on your neck stand up.

What stands out for me is how he slows down his run (at 43/44 seconds on the clip) just before the Scarlets player catches the ball and then accelerates into him. Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

Some massive support at the game !! fair play to the fans up there, You's swear you where watching a Hcup quarter final with that crowd for such small game

Gidea wrote: »
    Some massive support at the game !! fair play to the fans up there, You's swear you where watching a Hcup quarter final with that crowd for such small game
    It wasn't a small game. Ulster needed win to keep the pressure on Leinster/Munster in race for a home semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Gidea wrote: »

Limited capacity too, to 14k i think (health and safety during construction). Hence empty terrace spaces. HC qf is 17k limited capacity then full 18,400 I think for leinster. Basically every games been a sell out (at 14k) :)

However. We need to crank the atmosphere back up again once people get settled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Thanks

McCloskey was at Bangor Grammar, then went to Dungannon and was added into the academy this season. This would be his third season out of school, as far as I know he may have played ulster 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Ultimate Rugby app has McCloskey down as 6'4 and 106kg.

Thanks
    see post 646 on McCloskey. is 21 was in school in Bangor Grammar, now playing well with Dungannon in UBL. Didn't play Irish 20s but had played with some Ulster sides.

Just thinking aloud really but is there an argument to say we now possess the most potent back three in European rugby?

Andrew Trimble
    Tommy Bowe
    Jared Payne

I can't think of another back three in club/provincial rugby that I'd take over that trio right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

You could make the argument. But personally I think the a back-three of Bryan Habana, Drew Mitchell and Delon Armitage shades it. And then Hosea Gear, Yoann Huget and Maxime Medard would be a tight call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »

I think it was just because everyone was a little bit nervous how he'd handle coming back on playing pro rugby. And it was literally the first thing he did coming onto the pitch. That's the roar of relief and glee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just thinking aloud really but is there an argument to say we now possess the most potent back three in European rugby?

Andrew Trimble
    Tommy Bowe
    Jared Payne

I can't think of another back three in club/provincial rugby that I'd take over that trio right now.

Brian Habana
    Drew Mitchell
    Pallison / Armitage

or

Nalaga
    Sivivatu
    Byrne

or

Vincent Clerc
    Yohan Huget
    Maxim Medard

I'd definitely take those three over the Ulster back-three for starters!

Apparently Ulster are talking to Wiehahn Herbst (2013 Sharks squad before being released, he has not found a super rugby place for 2014) as a TH project signing for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Apparently Ulster are talking to Wiehahn Herbst (2013 Sharks squad before being released, he has not found a super rugby place for 2014) as a TH project signing for next season.

Yes. This has been mentioned a few times. WE desperately need something. I have to say a few people have been underwhelmed by Ruaridh Murphy's signing. Losing 4 props in one fell swoop might be described as a tad careless. Is Herbst any good? A tight head not getting a position speaks volumes to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Any more word on Pienaar injury? Initial prognosis was 2 weeks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just heard on the radio at 6 that he's out of this weekends game anyway.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. This has been mentioned a few times. WE desperately need something. I have to say a few people have been underwhelmed by Ruaridh Murphy's signing. Losing 4 props in one fell swoop might be described as a tad careless. Is Herbst any good? A tight head not getting a position speaks volumes to me.

The chat is we are signing five players but confidentiality etc etc means they can't be announced.

I assume the five are the following...

Murphy
    Humphreys
    Project Prop
    Two others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The chat is we are signing five players but confidentiality etc etc means they can't be announced.

Murphy
    Humphreys
    Project Prop
    Two others?

I doubt the return of iHumph. Have you heard if it's definite? I have always thought that McLaughlin treated him poorly and I think he was right to leave. He still has a year to run at L.I. O'Hagan is quite a prospect but sadly McKinney seems to have fallen off a cliff. If we were to try and bring back a player I'd hope they attempted to tempt Steenson.

jacothelad wrote: »
    I doubt the return of iHumph. Have you heard if it's definite? I have always thought that McLaughlin treated him poorly and I think he was right to leave. He still has a year to run at L.I. O'Hagan is quite a prospect but sadly McKinney seems to have fallen off a cliff. If we were to try and bring back a player I'd hope they attempted to tempt Steenson.

Haven't heard anything myself but the way people are talking elsewhere it sounds a done deal

Utility back of some sort I hope.

Murphy
    Humphreys
    Project Prop
    Two others?

Which Murphy is this, Jordi? Will he be compensation for Payne?

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Which Murphy is this, Jordi? Will he be compensation for Payne?

Ruaidhri.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ulster-sign-prop-ruaidhri-murphy-from-the-brumbies-30016553.html

Ah, my apologies! :o

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ah, my apologies! :o

:D

Next year we'll have Jackson, Bowe, Trimble, Olding, Marshall, Payne and possibly Cave and Gilroy all away at Ireland camps. That's our entire back line.

We need a utility back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Do ye reckon Ferris has a chance of starting the quarter final lads?

Has a chance yea. We have two Rabo games between now and then and he'll need significant game time in both, more than just a 20 minute cameo at the end.

40 minutes against Edinburgh and then a 60 minute start against Cardiff and I think he'd have a good shout at a start against Saracens. Bench at the very least though, decent impact option to have. :)

Do ye reckon Ferris has a chance of starting the quarter final lads?

Maybe, but I think the bench is more realistic. He would need to start one of the next two games first IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

For those of you interested. Here is the warmup from the Leinster ravens game. Obviously leinsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

$ausage$ wrote: »
    For those of you interested. Here is the warmup from the Leinster ravens game. Obviously leinsters.

Haha, pretty funny Word skills going on there. Interesting none the less.

Ulster XV and replacements to face Edinburgh, RaboDirect PRO12, Murrayfield, Friday (kick off 19:45) (15-9): J Payne, T Bowe, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, M Heaney; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), I Henderson, S Ferris, S Doyle, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, A Warwick, R Lutton, D Tuohy, N Williams, R Diack, P Marshall, S McCloskey.

Ferris starts. :D:D

Absolutely cracking pack we have there.

Looking forward to seeing Heaney at 9.

What positions does McCloskey cover from the bench? Does he cover the back 3?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement