Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster look like a rabble who have never met before. The performances have been edging downwards since the end of the Heineken Cup.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ulster look like a rabble who have never met before. The performances have been edging downwards since the end of the Heineken Cup.

Unbelievable.

22-14, come on ffs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If Ulster don't win tonight I'd worry about them making the play offs.

25-14 :mad:

• Advertisement

Brutal. Massive kick up the ass needed.

Ulster didn't so much shoot themselves in the foot as machine gun both legs off. Woeful. Saracens will destroy them if they play like that. Undisciplined and unskilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Tuned in and out. Ulster should have been 12-0 up after 10 minutes. Really have to be better than that especially next weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Can only hope this gives them a wake up call and they play out of their skins against the Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tbm

Didn't see the game but noticed Ferris was taken off at half time. He ok? Had he given away some penalties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

tbm wrote: »
    Didn't see the game but noticed Ferris was taken off at half time. He ok? Had he given away some penalties?

Didn't see the game either but I assume it was just a pre-planned substitution due to his lack of match fitness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think there's still a question mark in some teams about how the artificial pitch effects the body. Could have been due to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jesus, ye lost to feckin' Cardiff?!

Jesus, ye lost to feckin' Cardiff?!

Brutal. Disgraceful.

In Anscombes post-match interview his exact words were "they gave us an ass kicking".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

How bad actually were Ulster?
    Does the smaller number of ulster teams in division 1a compared to leinster and munster contribute to the larger number of ulster fringe players going abroad to serve an apprenticeship and get experience?
    Yes IMO.
    danthefan wrote: »
    Is there a larger number? Don't know about Munster because I don't follow them as closely but there's a ton of ex-Leinster and ex-Leinster academy players over in England, and the odd one in France.
    There is proportionally. Leinster have much bigger/better over time academy and have most of all provinces playing elsewhere
    bilston wrote: »
    Not sure if there are more Ulster players going to England but I do think the fact we have just one Div 1A team (barely) is a big problem. Don't all LEINSTER Academy players play in Div 1A? There are probably Ulster Academy players in Div 2A and B. I think this probably explains in part why the Ravens struggle.
    Most Leinster academy players are with 1A sides but many are still playing a lot of u20s rugby.
    There is the odd player or two in Ulster Academy playing division 2 rugby and always has been. James McKinney was dominating a Queens Uni side that dominated division 3 back in 2010 while part of academy. If he'd been in another province he'd have been playing division 1 rugby

I didn't see all the match, but what I saw we were absolutely bloody sh**e and looked as potent as a wet lettuce.

On the plus side Jackson was 6/6 at goal kicking and only missed 1 last week making him 9/10 in Pienaars absence.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    On the plus side Jackson was 6/6 at goal kicking and only missed 1 last week making him 9/10 in Pienaars absence.

Jackson missed the conversion for Cave's try, so he wasn't 6/6.

Penalties AWEC, I was talking about penalties :)

Still 8/11 ain't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    I didn't see all the match, but what I saw we were absolutely bloody sh**e and looked as potent as a wet lettuce.

The second half was better. I think we actually won the second half 18-3 so the optimist in me says we have ironed out the rustiness, the pessimist in me thinks we were utter tosh in the first half.

• Advertisement

Jackson missed the conversion for Cave's try, so he wasn't 6/6.
    6/7 I think. Ulster will have to stop blowing almost cert tries.
    Bowe's non pass to Trimble was a cert score.
    Payne fumbling Trimble's pass was a simple run in.
    Marshall not being seen to ground the ball.
    Diack missing a simple touch down - not really a criticism but he could / should have been more aware. There were other attacking efforts that I suspect Leinster, Munster or last season's Ulster would have scored from. They were awful but given about a 10% improvement in awareness and accuracy could still have racked up a big score.

bilston wrote: »
    The second half was better. I think we actually won the second half 18-3 so the optimist in me says we have ironed out the rustiness, the pessimist in me thinks we were utter tosh in the first half.
    18 - 6.
    'Utter tosh' was being kind. Stupid penalties kept Cardiff in the game. Knocks on, dropped passes, even careless kicking, missed or incomplete tackles, Herring having a bad enough l/o game. Fez was anonymous, Williams looked better than he has. Afoa is half the player he was when he came here. All those Airmiles.

Ulster need a new scrum half. Heaney and Small P are shyte squared. We've known about Marshall for years. His contract wasn't being renewed way back when until Boss took the 30 pieces of Euro and bailed. Shanahan looks like an Under 12 player. Pity steroids are illegal. He looks skilled enough but he's tiny. When I see Hart playing in France and I'm sure he's having the time of his life, I'm envious. Ulster used to produce really good scrum halves. We haven't done so for years.

One positive was Warwick. At least he didn't look out of place and the scrum was more destructive with him on all be it late in the game and Cardiff's props are pretty average apart from G.J. It wasn't a really strong test and he certainly doesn't look like a guy who would frighten the horses. He seems to be the same size and shape as Black. If he turns out as good it'll be a bonus. Neither would be international class so we're still at a worrying stage of team development.

Trimble was two lots of head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch apart from Munster's new no. 8.

Yes, Afoa's head was elsewhere. I hope he has no more trips planned before the end of the season.

18 - 6.
    'Utter tosh' was being kind. Stupid penalties kept Cardiff in the game. Knocks on, dropped passes, even careless kicking, missed or incomplete tackles, Herring having a bad enough l/o game. Fez was anonymous, Williams looked better than he has. Afoa is half the player he was when he came here. All those Airmiles.

Ulster need a new scrum half. Heaney and Small P are shyte squared. We've known about Marshall for years. His contract wasn't being renewed way back when until Boss took the 30 pieces of Euro and bailed. Shanahan looks like an Under 12 player. Pity steroids are illegal. He looks skilled enough but he's tiny. When I see Hart playing in France and I'm sure he's having the time of his life, I'm envious. Ulster used to produce really good scrum halves. We haven't done so for years.

One positive was Warwick. At least he didn't look out of place and the scrum was more destructive with him on all be it late in the game and Cardiff's props are pretty average apart from G.J. It wasn't a really strong test and he certainly doesn't look like a guy who would frighten the horses. He seems to be the same size and shape as Black. If he turns out as good it'll be a bonus. Neither would be international class so we're still at a worrying stage of team development.

Trimble was two lots of head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch apart from Munster's new no. 8.

I thought Warwick looked decent as well and the lineout improved with Annett on at hooker.

Shanahan has impressed on the two occasions I've seen him play. We will see how he goes in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

From what I saw Tuohy was woeful but understandable given his layoff. What was the story with Ulsters maul defence, similar to the Munster game where it was non existant. Worrying going into next week but in fairness it was the same before the Leicester game and they turned it round then. Henderson needs to learn how to go into contact better, he gets turned over far too often.

I just hope Pienaar is fit and on form.

If he isn't then we haven't a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I just hope Pienaar is fit and on form.

If he isn't then we haven't a hope.

What's the story with him , is he back for Saturday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

18 - 6.

Ah yeah Jaco, but how do you really feel? :D

duckysauce wrote: »
    What's the story with him , is he back for Saturday ?

Supposedly is back.

Whether that is 100% fighting fit and back to his best, or that he's not 100% but we are deeming him fit enough to play I don't know.

We need the former really.

• Advertisement

Supposedly is back.

Whether that is 100% fighting fit and back to his best, or that he's not 100% but we are deeming him fit enough to play I don't know.

We need the former really.

75% fit Pienaar is better than the alternatives!

No question about that, but is a 75% Pienaar good enough to beat Saracens?

The thought of Heaney or Marshall? *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

5min interview with Ruan about his time with Ulster;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26154978

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Reference is made in that article to: "The 'Mutant' Man Child, Iain Henderson" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

ssaye2 wrote: »

Schoolboy error - there's no smoking section!!

Bleughh the paint work is so clinical and cold!

Everything is just so white!

15. Jared Payne; 14. Andrew Trimble, 13. Darren Cave, 12. Luke Marshall, 11. Tommy Bowe; 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Tom Court, 2. Rory Best, 3. John Afoa, 4. Johann Muller (c), 5. Dan Tuohy, 6. Roger Wilson, 7. Chris Henry, 8. Nick Williams
    16. Rob Herring, 17. Andrew Warwick, 18. Ricky Lutton, 19. Iain Henderson, 20. Stephen Ferris, 21. Robbie Diack, 22. Paul Marshall, 23. Craig Gilroy

15. Alex Goode; 14. Chris Ashton, 13. Duncan Taylor, 12. Brad Barritt, 11. David Strettle; 10. Owen Farrell, 9. Richard Wigglesworth; 1. Mako Vunipola, 2. Schalk Brits, 3. James Johnston, 4. Steve Borthwick (c), 5. Mouritz Botha, 6. Billy Vunipola, 7. Jacques Burger, 8. Ernst Joubert
    16. Jamie George, 17. Richard Barrington, 18. Matt Stevens, 19. Eoin Sheriff, 20. Kelly Brown, 21. Neil de Kock, 22. Charlie Hodgson, 23. Chris Wyles

• Advertisement

Ulster XV and replacements to face Saracens, Heineken Cup Quarter-Final, Ravenhill, Saturday 5th April (kick off 18:30) (15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, T Bowe, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, R Wilson, N Williams, C Henry; Replacements (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, R Lutton, I Henderson, S Ferris, R Diack, P Marshall, C Gilroy.

PIENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR

BEST!

Ferris and Henderson to come off the bench :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is Diack carrying a knock? Thought he'd start. 6-2 split on the bench....

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

.ak wrote: »

Na, doubt it. Wilson will switch to 8 with Henderson moving to 6 when Williams goes off... likely. However, Henderson could move to lock (Dan Thuoys just back from injury really) with Diack taking over from Wilson. With Henderson you never know where he'll play these days

60 minutes, Tuohy and Williams off, Ferris and Henderson on. Both looking pumped up and looking like they want to flatten someone.

Pienaar puts ball up in the air - Ashton catches it - Ferris and Henderson both steamroll over the top of him. Farrell tries to stop it, ends up getting flattened in the process. The two of them get left in a little pile on the field.

Make it happen please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

When Ferris comes on I reckon Farrell will suddenly get a knock when he sees him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ferris, Henderson, Diack.... Herring & Gilroy. All players well capable of making a big, big impact from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Saracens think they are prepared for the atmosphere factor at Ravenhill. Fans claiming they will feed from it. While some teams may do... there is no way Saracens will be ready for what awaits.

6.30KO, terraces full an hour before kick off, first QF at home... the list goes on.

Then theres the moment Ferris comes on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Can someone fill me in on Warwick? Is he any sort of an option off the bench?

.ak wrote: »

Clearly Ferris is going to be playing in the back-line, maybe in the centres where he can do the most damage.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can someone fill me in on Warwick? Is he any sort of an option off the bench?
    no, not an option. Only there because if there are not a substitute props fit and available the team has to play a man short.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement