Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The guy in the grey looks like this guy btw:

gordon-hood.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

My guess is it's Gordon Hood. Stuart Hogg's agent. The guy on the left.
    BfGS80RIgAInV7K.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Beef so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

sweet, so totally confirmed reports of Payne to Leinster and Hogg to Ulster. Everybody is happy.

Hogg would be a strange signing given he would obviously be NIQ and also unavailable during the 6N / AI etc.

Unless we have been told to move Payne to 13 and are getting Hogg as an incentive to do so.

awec wrote: »
    Hogg would be a strange signing given he would obviously be NIQ and also unavailable during the 6N / AI etc.

Unless we have been told to move Payne to 13 and are getting Hogg as an incentive to do so.

Or, you know, Payne is going else where... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Sounds like you're a little in denial :P

.ak wrote: »
    Or, you know, Payne is going else where... ;)

That is definitely not happening.

So not content with having one full-back who saw red in a pressure match, they opt for another.

Hagz wrote: »
    So not content with having one full-back who saw red in a pressure match, they opt for another.

Oooh, brave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That is definitely not happening.

I've heard it was brought up by Leinster and that Payne himself didn't want to commit to Ulster until he saw who was coming in. That said I also heard he was now content with what Ulster were bringing in. The appointment of David Nucifora may make these kind of moves more likely.

Hogg would be a great signing and anyone who says different is deluded. Arguably, along with North, the best young attacking back in Britain and Ireland why on earth would we not want him. Ok so he wouldn't be available, during the 6Ns but I don't have a problem with that.

Anyway IMO suspect it's unlikely, not least because he is tied up to Glasgow until 2015. Mind you he has connections to Ulster as well (some relation to George Best I believe).

Could be worse, we could be after Liam Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    Hogg would be a great signing and anyone who says different is deluded. Arguably, along with North, the best young attacking back in Britain and Ireland why on earth would we not want him. Ok so he wouldn't be available, during the 6Ns but I don't have a problem with that.

While Hogg is obviously a fine player, I'd be very reluctant to part with a large chunk of money for him, if I was Ulster. The bloke is 21 and is still developing. His form this season already has not been near what it was last season. He's a known quantity now and the line breaks have diminished significantly.

My concern would be that he struggles to live up to such hype and that he'll ultimately end up as a solid international whose career highlight was being selected for the Lions at 20.

Regardless, I don't see the rationale in Ulster signing someone like Hogg. You've a top class back 3 already and an international winger in the 23 jersey. It'd be like Leinster going out and signing an international full back when we already have Rob Kearney and that would just be silly.

Buer wrote: »
    While Hogg is obviously a fine player, I'd be very reluctant to part with a large chunk of money for him, if I was Ulster. The bloke is 21 and is still developing. His form this season already has not been near what it was last season. He's a known quantity now and the line breaks have diminished significantly.

My concern would be that he struggles to live up to such hype and that he'll ultimately end up as a solid international whose career highlight was being selected for the Lions at 20.

Regardless, I don't see the rationale in Ulster signing someone like Hogg. You've a top class back 3 already and an international winger in the 23 jersey. It'd be like Leinster going out and signing an international full back when we already have Rob Kearney and that would just be silly.

Well the only reason we would be signing him is because Payne is either moving to 13 permanently or else he is going to Leinster. Otherwise you are right it would be a pointless signing.

I've said before I believe the Payne to Leinster story is more than just the imagination of Leinster fans on Boards. That doesn't mean I think it will happen though, but I think there is something to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Maybe Heaslip should come here as well?

I suspect that red cards are actually the link. They probably wanted to ask about the specifics of Hogg's hearing when deciding whether to appeal. The photo - or the first one, certainly - is a week old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

sweet, so totally confirmed reports of Payne to Leinster and Hogg to Ulster. Everybody is happy.

As long as her permanent off-field attire in Belfast is:

stuart+hogg+2.jpg

Then it's A-ok with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27150308

Franco van der Merwe on a two year deal with Paddy McAllister has signed for Aurillac, the French Division Two club

Interesting that he's 31 but got a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting that he's 31 but got a 2 year deal.

Ah the whole guideline thing is best ignored at this stage. Ulster have just replaced a lock with a lock. The departing lock was over 30 and given another contract. The incoming lock is over 30 and given a 2 year deal. Those guidelines are all but dead in the water. I think it's just a case by case basis now.

Anyway, interesting signing but definitely a step down from Muller but very much in the same mould. Tough South African lock with a decent amount of experience and has captained his side on a number of occasions. Doesn't have the pedigree that Muller had but will hopefully do a solid job. On the plus side, he's extremely durable. His injury record is excellent and he keeps ticking along, doing his job week in, week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

From an Irish perspective Payne to Leinster would make sense. Cave 13 at Ulster, Payne 13 at Leinster. Whoever is playing better plays for Ireland.

Sure, give us Olding while you at it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

From an Irish perspective Payne to Leinster would make sense. Cave 13 at Ulster, Payne 13 at Leinster. Whoever is playing better plays for Ireland.

Sure, give us Olding while you at it :)
    Awec to explode in 5, 4....

On the guidelines they're as good as gone, nothing officially said, just hopeful no mention of them is brought up anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

any ideas on a new shirt for ulster next season?

So bases on what we know we are looking at this as a possible HEC...sorry RCC side next season

15 Payne
    14 Trimble
    13 Cave
    12 Marshall
    11 Bowe
    10 Jackson
    9 Pienaar

So no change here, although I fancy Olding will have something to say about that. Not including Ludik until he is confirmed but I don't think he would start anyway. Gilroy and Scholes will hopefully keep the back three honest. McCloskey, Allen and Andrew will be backups. Provided Olding returns at the top of his game and we secure the signing of Ludik then we are stronger in the backs next season in terms of top class cover. Jackson with another years experience will be even better. So I'm very happy with our backs.

Now for the pack

1 Black
    2 Best
    3 Herbst
    4 Van Der Merwe
    5 Tuohy
    6 Ferris
    7 Henry
    8 Williams

Fitzpatrick (if fit), Henderson and Wilson could easily all be starters. I think Afoa is a big loss. Court and Muller (the player, not the captain) can be replaced. I've liked what I've seen from Andrew Warwick too, so hopefully him and Black fill the gap left by Court. I dont know a lot about Herbst or Van Der Merwe but Humphreys hasn't made a bad South African signing yet so hopefully his contacts put there have come good again.

So with the exception of the loss of Afoa I think our 23 is as strong and arguably stronger next season. Anyone else any opinion? I suppose it all depends on the two Saffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Those in the know really rate Herbst. I cant wait to see what he is like.

Afoa has said he rates Warwick so thats good to hear.

Ludik can cover 11,13,14 and 15 so he has a great chance of being on the bench alot. He will definitely start a good few games due to Ireland duty and player welfare scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The 2 first choice props gone as well as Muller worries me a bit to be honest.

Court and Afoa have rarely been troubled in any game and have destroyed some other teams up front in recent times.

Will the "new" front row be as potent?

I'd love to know what ideas Anscombe has up his sleeve for next year...we've looked a bit predictable at times this season.

• Advertisement

damianmcr wrote: »
    Those in the know really rate Herbst. I cant wait to see what he is like.

Afoa has said he rates Warwick so thats good to hear.

Ludik can cover 11,13,14 and 15 so he has a great chance of being on the bench alot. He will definitely start a good few games due to Ireland duty and player welfare scheme.

Ludik hasn't signed yet so doesn't really count, but potentially could be useful. The return of Olding is most important though IMO.

I've read people on uafc rating Herbst. I've no reason to disbelieve them on either him or Van Der Mewre but until I see them play there is a wee smidgen of doubt there but as I said before Humphreys hasn't signed a poor SH player to date.

If they come good we will be potentially stronger next season, albeit it is hard to imagine Herbst being at Afoa's level yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ludik hasn't signed yet so doesn't really count, but potentially could be useful. The return of Olding is most important though IMO.

I've read people on uafc rating Herbst. I've no reason to disbelieve them on either him or Van Der Mewre but until I see them play there is a wee smidgen of doubt there but as I said before Humphreys hasn't signed a poor SH player to date.

If they come good we will be potentially stronger next season, albeit it is hard to imagine Herbst being at Afoa's level yet.
    Herbst may at least be here for the entire season. Afoa's personal difficulties have led to his absence. He has played in 15 games this season out of 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Apparently you are looking at an iq flanker from the southern hemisphere to replace Doyle and add backrow depth

Probably someone I've never heard of but I can think of one who is even out of contract

Apparently you are looking at an iq flanker from the southern hemisphere to replace Doyle and add backrow depth

Probably someone I've never heard of but I can think of one who is even out of contract

There are rumours going about that there is a big signing announcement coming but nobody knows a name.

More worringly, there are rumours on UAFC that we have a back who is going to be forced into a very early retirement. It's not a poster that I'd usually associate with being in the know though, so hopefully not true.

I think we can all probably guess who it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

There are rumours going about that there is a big signing announcement coming but nobody knows a name.

More worringly, there are rumours on UAFC that we have a back who is going to be forced into a very early retirement. It's not a poster that I'd usually associate with being in the know though, so hopefully not true.

I think we can all probably guess who it would be.

Jesus,for the sake of Irish rugby let's hope that's nothing more than a rumour,losing him would be catastrophic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Luke Marshall has played the last few games so it'd be a shock if it was him!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Luke Marshall has played the last few games so it'd be a shock if it was him!

I figured it was Olding,considering we've heard absolutely nothing from Ulster about him since his injury.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I never thought about him, what is he out with?

If it's Olding I'm not watching rugby anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

That would be crushingly horrific.

Finger crossed that it's nothing more than some empty trolling.

Edit: He was back running a few weeks ago though.

If Olding comes back next year and plays like he was before the injury,Ulster's two best players would be guys who have had severe ligament injuries.That's got to be some kind of strange motivation for the rest of the squad.

Doubt that's true about Olding. The poster never name him anyway, and besides last week the same guy was lamenting how next season would be our first andast in the RCC because we would struggle to make the top six. Not sure Id take his word as gospel.

If he was even being serious ten I suspect it was sarcasm with the 'early' bit and that he is talking about Paddy Wallace.

Awec, where did you hear about this big announcement?

Honestly Olding won't be fit enough to make an assessment on until the pre-season. I think rumours of early retirement are completely misleading.

Oldings recovery is ahead of schedule. Cant see it being him.

Doubt that's true about Olding. The poster never name him anyway, and besides last week the same guy was lamenting how next season would be our first andast in the RCC because we would struggle to make the top six. Not sure Id take his word as gospel.

If he was even being serious ten I suspect it was sarcasm with the 'early' bit and that he is talking about Paddy Wallace.

Awec, where did you hear about this big announcement?

From a mate. So again, could be balls. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

so whats the verdict for the Leinster game. We in for a hiding!?

From a mate. So again, could be balls. :D

I wonder if any announcement may be a new contract for Ferris?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    so whats the verdict for the Leinster game. We in for a hiding!?

Don't think we are I'm for a hiding but I don't expect us to win. The whole season feels deflated and I don't see us recovering.

Don't think either team will be particularly confident, but home advantage would probably have Ulster as slight favourites? What are the odds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Don't think either team will be particularly confident, but home advantage would probably have Ulster as slight favourites? What are the odds?

Odds won't be released until Thursday probably, but I'd expect Ulster to be slight favourites as you say.

I'll settle for a total annihilation of Leinster.

I'll settle for a total annihilation by Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I'll settle for a total annihilation by Leinster.

what now?

what now?

Say 12-43?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Say 12-43?

I read it wrong first time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement