Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's all a bit mad. Les Kiss being the No. 2 for Ireland as well as overseeing things in Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bizarre time to get rid of your coach. No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Teferi wrote: »
    This is unexpected, right?

A little bit, think a few people had mentioned it rumoured but most considered him to stick it out another season I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Teferi wrote: »
    This is unexpected, right?

NA its like most things at ulster been touted for a week before.

Just wonder what would be different if Humph was still about.

TBH glad he is gone.

Buer wrote: »
    That's all a bit mad. Les Kiss being the No. 2 for Ireland as well as overseeing things in Ulster?

You'd imagine the Kiss thing is a temporary thing until they find someone else (if they find someone else).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »
    A little bit, think a few people had mentioned it rumoured but most considered him to stick it out another season I think?

I thought it made sense for him to go once Humphries went whoever the new dor is is going to take on the head coach stuff as well imo.

Kiss however is a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

b.gud wrote: »
    Bizarre time to get rid of your coach. No?

Bit of chatter that he had another offer closer to home, we'll see what his next move is but it's not certain that he was pushed.

Although perfectly plausible that he was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This is not good.

Ulster will be starting their pre season soon, if not this week, and getting a new coach at this time will be difficult.

Ireland can't afford to lose another coach if Kiss where to move permanently to Ulster.

Very short statement by Ulster so it looks like he's been fired.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This is not good.

Ulster will be starting their pre season soon, if not this week, and getting a new coach at this time will be difficult.

Ireland can't afford to lose another coach if Kiss where to move permanently to Ulster.

Very short statement by Ulster so it looks like he's been fired.

NO I think this is the best time. At this level pre season is not done by the head coach and the SC guys have been about long enough to know what is needed. If anything its the bets time "new" coach who will know everyone by now he is in the game this long and will get to clap eyes on the guys at the start of the season and maybe even see some of the talent that the IRFU sunglasses usually fails to see north of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Also considering he only signed a renewal in February and would realistically have achieved his season goals (I presume they were play offs in Rabo and QF's in HEC) and that David Humpreys has also surprisingly left you do have to wonder what's going on up there!

DH leaving changed everything

IRFU spin on things

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/32123.php

$ausage$ wrote: »
    NO I think this is the best time. At this level pre season is not done by the head coach and the SC guys have been about long enough to know what is needed. If anything its the bets time "new" coach who will know everyone by now he is in the game this long and will get to clap eyes on the guys at the start of the season and maybe even see some of the talent that the IRFU sunglasses usually fails to see north of the border.

I disagree, granted yeah the pre season at this stage isn't a major problem but look at the time line to short list, interview, appoint, and then get a new coach physically in place and you could be looking at him not getting here until the season has kicked off.

Once the season has kicked off how much changes to the team and playing philosophy will he be able to make?

This is assuming that Kiss isn't a permanent appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

DH leaving changed everything

IRFU spin on things

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/32123.php

Well that doesn't actually say the two departures are connected.

NO sorry that was two post in one,
    where not to be related

It's a real life Game of Thrones up there :)

• Advertisement

You'd imagine the Kiss thing is a temporary thing until they find someone else (if they find someone else).

With Kiss not even starting for another 3 weeks, I don't think they'll have anyone else in place before the autumn series, anyway. It's going to be very difficult to source a top coach at this point.

It's a seriously disruptive situation and threatens to derail the season before it begins. They'll have a top man who is going to be completely involved in things elsewhere for long stretches of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This'll be the first Irish job that Eddie O'Sullivan isn't linked to since 2007 at least.

New stadium fitted with ejector seat and revolving doors....

Could really do with some stability, have to question the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

This is good for the team.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not sad to see the back of Anscombe

• Advertisement

"He will lead the coaching staff"

I think he will just be a figure head and more hands off than MA was give JB and Doke will step up more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What way is Mark McCall contracted to Safaracens at the moment?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    What way is Mark McCall contracted to Safaracens at the moment?

Signed on until the end of next season. I'd be very surprised if he was interested either as he'd be currently planning for next season with Saracens at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Too early for Doak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Very surprised to hear this.

I dont think Kiss has any real experience at club level. Anscombe has being criticised a bit up north for not bringing success after McLoughlin's progressive years.

With Humphreys and Anscombe gone now, its a bit of a mess I think.

letowski wrote: »

I dont think Kiss has any real experience at club level. Anscombe has being criticised a bit up north for not bringing success after McLoughlin's progressive years.

Along with Muller, Afoa, Ferris. Not great for Ulster heading into next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Somebody mentioned elsewhere that Ulster would make a short term appointment and then go for a current international coach post WC. Now that's still almost 18 months away and if we are talking about head coaches there is only one I can think off that would be a realistic possibility but I'd still think it unlikely and again as I said it is so far in the future than any interim appointment in the meantime may as wwell be full time.

Along with Muller, Afoa, Ferris. Not great for Ulster heading into next season.

In think the general feeling is that getting rid of Anscombe is a good thing and not comparable to losing the above players all of whom by the way were not in any way effective players for us last season anyway (Johann of course was a great leader).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

bilston wrote: »
    In think the general feeling is that getting rid of Anscombe is a good thing and not comparable to losing the above players all of whom by the way were not in any way effective players for us last season anyway (Johann of course was a great leader).

I think though Ulster have alot of young players coming through and with those players listed above, Ulster's age profile will be lower this year.

I feel a temporary DoR, isn't really what Ulster should have atm. There should be a long term view with regards to coaching setup particularly as I said with to a younger team.

You do wonder what's going to happen with the 13 jersey now.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »

That's not why he is criticised.

There are many reasons, but I think the one that sealed the deal was the pro 12 semi. The team selection and subsequent substitutions infuriated and confused many fans with a feeling that he threw the game away for us.

His style was contentious as he is a very abrasive character. Our general play has gone backward this year, we struggle to break the line or beat defenses that are well set. If the opposition defence is defending on their try line we are terrible at getting over. Usually either get pinged for holding on, knock it on or give a stupid pass.

Nor winning anything has little to do with it directly. If he had played our strongest team in the RDS and made sensible subs that would have been ok even if we had still lost. The HEC was outside of his control, so he can't be blamed for that.

This is where the whole Kiss appointment is a huge conflict of interest. If Ireland want to really go with Payne at 13 then Kiss I'm sure will implement this at Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    This is where the whole Kiss appointment is a huge conflict of interest. If Ireland want to really go with Payne at 13 then Kiss I'm sure will implement this at Ulster.

That could go one of two ways though. Kiss could be told to take a look at Payne in pre-season at 13 and see if he feels it's a runner. If not then that shifts the focus elsewhere. We need to know by October who we will be playing in the centre come the AIs so hopefully that issue will be dealt with and decided on fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

McLaughlin to step back in...

mfceiling wrote: »
    McLaughlin to step back in...

Would not be opposed to mcglock with a strong DoR above him.

It depends on who was pushing Payne to 13. A lot of Anscombe detractors/Cave fans have claimed it was MA but that may be agenda pushing. I've also heard that when Payne signed it was decided then that he was always going to move to 13 for when he qualified for Ireland and that Anscombe had nothing to do with that (MA wasn't even at Ulster when JP signed).

Personally I don't mind the idea of Payne at 13, with a decent run at it, rather than the odd game here and there he might do very well.

I am pie wrote: »
    Would not be opposed to mcglock with a strong DoR above him.

Doubt it will happen. Personally I'd never have got rid of McGlock in the first place as he did very well but the role he is in now is probably just as important as Ulster head coach for both Ulster and Ireland and I think we will start seeing the results of that in the next year or so with new players coming into the Academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is it reasonable to speculate that there has been some infighting behind the scenes?

molloyjh wrote: »
    That could go one of two ways though. Kiss could be told to take a look at Payne in pre-season at 13 and see if he feels it's a runner. If not then that shifts the focus elsewhere. We need to know by October who we will be playing in the centre come the AIs so hopefully that issue will be dealt with and decided on fairly sharpish.

To be honest, I can't see anything definitive being decided on the basis of pre-season games which are generally just stretching the legs with none of the internationals involved. I'll wager we see him at 13 a few times at least before the opening ECC games.

• Advertisement

Is it reasonable to speculate that there has been some infighting behind the scenes?

I think that's a pretty reasonable conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

It would be hard to pick a worst time to lose your head coach.

It sounds like he was sacked and if that is the case then why didn't Ulster act at the end of the season rather than wait until preseason kicks off. The IRFU must have giving their blessing as Kiss's dual role was certainly signed off with them.

Whatever about Ulster and I do wish them well I think it's far from ideal for our national team to have Kiss carrying out a dual role in a W/cup year more so with the national squad having just lost Plumtree.

I'd wonder how long Anscombe has been in the country too as I'd imagine he went back to NZ once the season ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Deccie gets my vote

;)

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Deccie gets my vote

;)

Get out. :D

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/28104431

Mark Anscombe's son blasts Ulster's treatment of father

• Advertisement

"Jake White and Graham Henry, both World Cup winners, have emerged as early contenders to succeed Anscombe."

I would take that!

Wow, ouch.

TBH I think he's right. Ulster letting go of Anscombe was a big decision, and wrong one imo.

Yeh it is def not the way DH would have done it. HE would have it all lined up and did a Vince McMahon screw job again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

"Jake White and Graham Henry, both World Cup winners, have emerged as early contenders to succeed Anscombe."

I would take that!

Either would be great but can't really see it, not with the sort of money and squads on offer in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Wow, ouch.

TBH I think he's right. Ulster letting go of Anscombe was a big decision, and wrong one imo.

As an Ulster fan MA lost my faith about 6-8months ago with mediocre performances and odd team selections. We probably could have handled things better but I believe Humphries leaving prior to MA messed up any plans for a smooth removal of MA. It has made things look more chaotic than they really are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement