Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    "An Ulster Rugby player representing your country/fan zone"

:confused:

You get to buy a player? How feckin' awesome* is that!!!!

If only Cudmore played for Ulster, he wouldn't be a bad personal bodyguard. :D

*or disturbing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Can't remember who asked for this but there is a "vintage" jersey with a real collar out.

http://www.ctsports.co.uk/uk/sports/ulster-rugby/ulster-rugby-shirts

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rumours on UAFC that all is not well with the TV coverage situation, specifically around BBCNI and the games not on Sky. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

why what sort of humours

That BBCNI may not be able to pick up the remaining games due to the higher costs with TV deals being managed centrally now. Previously it was a deal between BBCNI and Ulster, but now BBCNI have to deal with the Pro12 and it may be cost prohibitive.

Apparently BBC Wales have paid mega bucks for their coverage. Setanta is apparently sniffing round the rights.

Absolute load of bollocks this whole thing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ye, was just reading it now. I knew with RTE pulling out that people were going to be in for a shock with how many games were covered but I thought BBC NI may have been able to cut a deal but it seems not.

Surely the 3 BBC regions should of gone in centrally for rights at that point?

Even if Setanta get them I presume that means Ulster won't be on every week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Even if Setanta get them I presume that means Ulster won't be on every week too.

If Setanta get the rights then rugby fans in NI would be having to pay three subscriptions to watch rugby next season. That would be a fecking joke and something that those making this decision should consider wisely before making a decision.

I think Leinster, Munster and Connacht rights (not bought by Sky) have gone to TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Pub or internet people or go to to all the games.

Don't be worrying

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Pub or internet people or go to to all the games.

Don't be worrying
    Going to the pub costs money too.

If we're not on BBC NI it'll be a disaster and we'll have shot ourselves in the foot.

Going to the pub costs money too.

If we're not on BBC NI it'll be a disaster and we'll have shot ourselves in the foot.

Doesn't sound like it's our decision though.

True.

Pro 12, if you are reading this Ulster says no to league games on pay tv.

True.

Pro 12, if you are reading this Ulster says no to league games on pay tv.

Have them on Sky but not fecking Setanta. Does anyone in NI still have Setanta. I'm paying for Sky and BT already FFS.

Nobody in NI has Setanta cause it's got damn all on it worth watching.

Down here you get Setanta and BT Sport on the same UPC package, but up home it's just Setanta and BT Sport is extra cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

This is a disaster. It seems the ramifications of the Sky deal have truly screwed the TV viewer and rugby fan. Lets hope BBCNI are busy in the background trying to cut a deal.
    Friday night is/was Ulster rugby night on this TV.

Nobody in NI has Setanta cause it's got damn all on it worth watching.

Down here you get Setanta and BT Sport on the same UPC package, but up home it's just Setanta and BT Sport is extra cost.

its premier sports in NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

$ausage$ wrote: »
    its premier sports in NI

Setanta is still Setanta in NI. We have Premier Sports on our Sky Epg but AFAIK you cannot subscribe to it here as its only for viewers in GB but I may be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It's worth bearing in mind that it's not simply about finances - BBC NI have classed the rugby as part of their opt-out (I.e. locally generated) programming. That's part of their remit. If they stop covering it, they would have to find an awful lot of local programmes from somewhere else.

got to be a time when we stop talking about him but he did mention Ulster a few times

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/28686987

• Advertisement

Sat 18 Oct 7:45pm Leicester (A)
    Sat 25 Oct 1pm Toulon (H)

Scarlets (H)
    Scarlets (A)

Toulon (A)
    Leicester (H)

If Ulster can get 5 points from the first two matches then that will be a good start. Back-to-back versus Scarlets is a great draw, that's surely a 9/10 pointer.

Get over to Toulon for a trip in January, you'll enjoy it! :)

Any TV details for our games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Any TV details for our games?
    round 1 BT, round 2 Sky,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Any news on what kind of squad will play next week v Exeter? Will the returning Irish players be rested? New signings get a run out? I believe that the game is sold out and Exeter are no easy team to play.

Anyone else think Shanahan looks tiny and about 15? :D

10293628_704278682984567_4763585534502998289_o.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Oh FFS with the kids off for the Summer they really ruin other peoples games with their I dare you to rob their ball games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Looks like Stockdale in the background there. Must be in the academy. Where do you view those photos. Anytime i check out dickson digital their site is a mess.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Oh FFS with the kids off for the Summer they really ruin other peoples games with their I dare you to rob their ball games.

He really does look very young. Not sure of his exact age, think he only played 1 or 2 games last year.
    Hagz wrote: »
    Looks like Stockdale in the background there. Must be in the academy. Where do you view those photos. Anytime i check out dickson digital their site is a mess.

It's on the Ulster facebook, the photos are from the open training session at Monaghan RFC

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

It is Stockdale, got a 3 year academy deal apparently as well as a scholarship from Queens. It is strange at present that Ulster are encouraging their younger players to Queens rather than playing for 1B or 1A sides where they would be tested at a higher level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tbh I think all the ulster backs look about 15, ie Jackson, Marshall, Olding, Allen etc etc

.ak wrote: »
    Tbh I think all the ulster backs look about 15, ie Jackson, Marshall, Olding, Allen etc etc

Shanahan is of Leinster stock though!

Poor auld Deccie is just ragin that he has missed another meal as Shannahan escapes his clutches.

RuPi wrote: »
    It is Stockdale, got a 3 year academy deal apparently as well as a scholarship from Queens. It is strange at present that Ulster are encouraging their younger players to Queens rather than playing for 1B or 1A sides where they would be tested at a higher level.

Any idea of any other Academy newbies? Namely Owens and Thompson? Who is O'Hagan playing for this coming season?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

bilston wrote: »
    Any idea of any other Academy newbies? Namely Owens and Thompson? Who is O'Hagan playing for this coming season?

Josh Atkinson is in the academy, him and Sean O'Hagan moving to Queens with Owens and Thompson. I would imagine other places will be sorted after the 20's Inter pro's.

Josh Atkinson is in the academy, him and Sean O'Hagan moving to Queens with Owens and Thompson. I would imagine other places will be sorted after the 20's Inter pro's.

Sounds like Queens will be the Ulster U20s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

If the boys are attending Queens and studying as well as playing rugby then you can't blame them for wanting to play together with their friends and fellow students. Queens are probably helping them in conjunction with Ulster Rugby to combine both.

If you were Queens you would not expect them to help with studies and then let them play for another club. The time that they might come unstuck is if some the boys get chosen for the Irish 20's and are unable to play lots of games for Queens or indeed if Ulster rugby get first call on them and don't let them play for Queens come AIL time.

Understand that Stockdale, O'Hagan and Owens have all been training with the senior team for the last few weeks and were with the team in Monaghan yesterday for the open training session.

Stanza2 wrote: »
    If the boys are attending Queens and studying as well as playing rugby then you can't blame them for wanting to play together with their friends and fellow students. Queens are probably helping them in conjunction with Ulster Rugby to combine both.

If you were Queens you would not expect them to help with studies and then let them play for another club. The time that they might come unstuck is if some the boys get chosen for the Irish 20's and are unable to play lots of games for Queens or indeed if Ulster rugby get first call on them and don't let them play for Queens come AIL time.

Understand that Stockdale, O'Hagan and Owens have all been training with the senior team for the last few weeks and were with the team in Monaghan yesterday for the open training session.

I'm not criticising it, it hasn't done Lansdowne or Leinster U20s any harm recently.

Good to hear the young lads were training with the seniors. If Stockdale's strike rate for Ireland Schools is anything to go by he seems like a good prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Olding in the background...

That'll do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

mfceiling wrote: »
    Olding in the background...

That'll do for me.
    Is that Bronson Ross on the left? Hope he has got over his serious neck injury.

Ulster are rumoured to have 'recruited' a junior level back row player - Devin Montgomery - from S.A. - one with an Irish passport. He has registered with Malone a.f.a.i.k. I'm not sure if he is simply coming on spec of his own volition, if he has been given a trial or if he has been recommended by say someone like Muller. He's a big guy with a bit of grunt and a bit of skill. It'll be interesting to see if he gets any early game time with the Ravens, assuming of course that U.R. remember that they are supposed to play now and again. He played for Wits. I'm not sure what that level is but suspect it is a bit higher than AIL ...anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jacothelad wrote: »

Ulster are rumoured to have 'recruited' a junior level back row player - Devin Montgomery - from S.A. - one with an Irish passport. He has registered with Malone a.f.a.i.k. I'm not sure if he is simply coming on spec of his own volition, if he has been given a trial or if he has been recommended by say someone like Muller. He's a big guy with a bit of grunt and a bit of skill. It'll be interesting to see if he gets any early game time with the Ravens, assuming of course that U.R. remember that they are supposed to play now and again. He played for Wits. I'm not sure what that level is but suspect it is a bit higher than AIL ...anyone know?

Looks very like Ross alright. Never heard of the montgomery lad, but after watching SA today he'll probably be a beast...feckers must be on angel dust from primary school!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

strange they want them In Queens and not 1A/B clubs. There is Malone and Belfast Harlequins who are in Belfast and playing higher standard of rugby week in week out.
    bilston wrote: »
    Sounds like Queens will be the Ulster U20s!
    Will many of them be playing AIL week in week out? What's their alternative if not playing AIL? No 20s league in Ulster so j1?
    Stanza2 wrote: »

Yes but Stanza Queens are like any university club. Study/Classes are separate to the sports clubs. Queens can expect/not expect anything in relation to players playing with them. Those young players probably have been training with the seniors. That's the point of academies to build
    But Ulster should ideally be looking for players to play highest level they can. Playing 1A/B will be much better for them. Would be great shame for O Hagan who you talked up all last season to be taking a step back and only playing division 2 ball this season considering how he did at division 1 last season
    jacothelad wrote: »

If he was playing with Wits that's Universities level. They play top level of Varsity rugby which is a very high standard from what I know of it

I'd be surprised if there was any deal between Ulster and QUB.

QUB gain nothing from it - the Rugby club is just a normal society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if ulster would have better luck trying to poach fringe backrowers from Leinster/munster rather than signing maybe 4 amateur/semi pro iq backrows.

Reidy Butterworth Ross and maybe Montgomery.

Surely someone better could be lured north. Both sides have tonnes of backrow available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I wonder if ulster would have better luck trying to poach fringe backrowers from Leinster/munster rather than signing maybe 4 amateur/semi pro iq backrows.

Reidy Butterworth Ross and maybe Montgomery.

Surely someone better could be lured north. Both sides have tonnes of backrow available.

Saw jordy Murphy play in the same backrow as buttersworth and ross and he didn't stand out. Lot of good players get left behind in the ail. Copeland , coughlan etc and if they stand out in ail without pro training they generally will end up very good pros.

Allen Clarke new forwards coach.

"Former Ulster and Ireland hooker, Allen Clarke, has been confirmed as the province’s forwards coach for the 2014/15 season."

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/1686/Clarke-confirmed-as-Ulster-Rugby%92s-forwards-coach.aspx

Good appointment or job for the boy awec?

I honestly haven't a clue thomond.

Apparently he was our scrum coach last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Allen Clarke was Ireland u20s coach for a few years and has been slowly rising through the ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He was involved in the emerging ireland tour in summer 2013 as well.

I'm rating everything I've seen of him decently. Not a superstar appointment but not a bad choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Clarke is one of the serious candidates for top jobs in Irish rugby in the next few years. Was a great player and has a good rugby brain it seems. Congrats to him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement