Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Only a year long deal though, presumably so our new head coach can do what he wants when he arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stupidly I thought he was already our forwards coach!

Probably a good appointment. I'd say he has designs on the top job at Ulster (if not this time round) so he will have plenty of motivation to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It was a bit of a no brainer. He's a good coach. He has significant experience and has previously been in the set up for the senior side. He has a previous working relationship with Les Kiss from his IRFU days. I'd have been surprised if anyone else had been announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/28850830
    BBC Northern Ireland has secured a new four-season deal to provide live coverage of Ulster's matches in the Guinness Pro12.

In the league section of the competition, BBC TWO NI will broadcast Ulster home and away games which are not being shown live on Sky Sports.

The matches that Sky select will be live on BBC Radio Ulster.

BBC Northern Ireland has also secured live TV coverage of any play-off match involving Ulster - including finals.

Yes! Yes and thrice YES!

Both home and away games is excellent news!

Great news. I'm not against Pay TV getting involved as it does mean more money and usually better coverage but asking rugby fans in NI to splash out on three subscriptions would have been too much.

BBC NI mightn't be the most objective in their coverage of Ulster but it has definitely helped raise the interest in Ulster over the last few years and long may that continue!

I actually think their coverage is very good. I like Jim Neilly as a commentator.

BBC NI are in a unique position in that there is only 1 team in their main area of coverage. So given that 90% or more of their audience is Ulster fans it's no surprise that they are very pro-Ulster. There is no need for them to try and be more middle of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The size of Henderson^^

Jacob Stockdale starting on the wing!

1. Callum Black
    2. John Andrew
    3. Declan Fitzpatrick
    4. Alan O'Connor
    5. Franco van der Merwe
    6. Charlie Butterworth
    7. Sean Reidy
    8. Ryan Wilson
    9. Paul Marshall
    10. Ian Humphreys
    11. Rory Scholes
    12. Michael Allen
    13. Louis Ludik
    14. Jacob Stockdale
    15. Ricky Andrew

16. Kyle McCall, Johnny Murphy, Andrew Warwick, Rhuardri Murphy, Bronson Ross, Wiehahn Herbst, Lewis Stevenson, Neil McComb, James Simpson, Conor Joyce, Clive Ross, Mike McComish, Frankie Taggart, Josh Atkinson, Michael Heaney, Dave Shanahan, Jack Owens, Sean O'Hagan, Ross Adair

Butterworth getting a start.

Allen at 12.

Ludik at 13! :pac:

Hagz wrote: »
    Jacob Stockdale starting on the wing!

1. Callum Black
    2. John Andrew
    3. Declan Fitzpatrick
    4. Alan O'Connor
    5. Franco van der Merwe
    6. Charlie Butterworth
    7. Sean Reidy
    8. Ryan Wilson
    9. Paul Marshall
    10. Ian Humphreys
    11. Rory Scholes
    12. Michael Allen
    13. Louis Ludik
    14. Jacob Stockdale
    15. Ricky Andrew

16. Kyle McCall, Johnny Murphy, Andrew Warwick, Rhuardri Murphy, Bronson Ross, Wiehahn Herbst, Lewis Stevenson, Neil McComb, James Simpson, Conor Joyce, Clive Ross, Mike McComish, Frankie Taggart, Josh Atkinson, Michael Heaney, Dave Shanahan, Jack Owens, Sean O'Hagan, Ross Adair

Just the four second rows on the bench!! Two scrum half's as well benching!

Anyway good to see Van Der Merwe and Ludik starting likewise Butterworth and Reidy. Not going but I'd be very excited to see Stockdale in action, likewise O'Hagan and Owens from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Think I saw on twitter tonight that with the two Andrew's starting it's the first time brothers have started since Simon Best was on the scene.

I take it tonight's match isn't on tv?

• Advertisement

14-5 to Ulster at half-time. Tries from Rory Scholes and Louis Ludik.

21-8 now, Scholes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I hope scholes gets an extended run in the side this year, competition is tough but he could have a real breakthrough season or languish behind too many other people. It could either way for him.

I hope scholes gets an extended run in the side this year, competition is tough but he could have a real breakthrough season or languish behind too many other people. It could either way for him.

He will have to make the most of his chances with Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy ahead of him. By the end of last season he seemed to have jumped ahead of Allen I think who is a good player in his own right.

Latest 21-22 to the Chiefs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    He will have to make the most of his chances with Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy ahead of him. By the end of last season he seemed to have jumped ahead of Allen I think who is a good player in his own right.

Latest 21-22 to the Chiefs

I'm thinking Allen will get a lot of runs as 23 cover for centre and wing in the league so get time off the bench and could earn opportunities based on that.

• Advertisement

Himself and Gilroy won't have to wait too long before the space opens up. Maybe 2-3 more seasons. But it will be difficult for Ulster to keep them patient.

Exeter win 22-21.

Anyone at the match? How'd we go?

So awec has rumours. Reliable rumours.

1. We're getting a major name for our new coach
    2. Once Humph left Anscombe had to go - Humph was his last supporter
    3. The players really didn't like Anscombe at any point in his tenure
    4. Pienaar and Anscombe especially didn't get on

And probably the most surprising:

5. The players are not overly enthusiastic about Kiss. He is seen to be away with Ireland too much.

awec wrote: »
    Anyone at the match? How'd we go?

Match report courtesy of UAFC

http://www.uafc.co.uk/index.php?i=content&mode=news&t=17453

Sounds like Ludik and Scholes impressed and while not mentioned in that report and based on posts on UAFC our scrum allegedly decimated theirs once Herbst came on which is very encouraging.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In defence of Kiss he's doing two jobs so he will be away from Ulster at times, there's no doubt of that.

So awec has rumours. Reliable rumours.

1. We're getting a major name for our new coach
    2. Once Humph left Anscombe had to go - Humph was his last supporter
    3. The players really didn't like Anscombe at any point in his tenure
    4. Pienaar and Anscombe especially didn't get on

And probably the most surprising:

5. The players are not overly enthusiastic about Kiss. He is seen to be away with Ireland too much.

Well Kiss will be away with Ireland and there is nothing the players can do about it. The upside for them is that they can impress him and know they might have someone fighting their corner in Irish selection meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Darren Cave won't have any more excuses anyway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/28912420

Highlights of the Ulster Exeter game. Scholes shows some serious gas for his second try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I find it quite strange that ulster are playing Buttersworth at 6 and Ross at 7 when the played the other way round for landsdowne for the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 SilRenton

Academy:

Prop: Michael Lagan
    Prop: Craig Trenier
    Hooker: John Andrews
    Hooker: Jonny Murphy
    Lock: Alan O'Connor
    Lock: John Donnan
    Lock: Alex Thompson
    Backrow: Frankie Taggart
    Backrow: Lorcan Dow
    Backrow: Josh Atkinson
    Scrumhalf: Dave Shanahan
    Outhalf: Sean O'Hagan
    Centre: Sam Arnold
    Centre/Wing: Jacob Stockdale
    Centre/Wing: Jack Owen
    Wing: Ross Adair
    Fullback: David Busby

SilRenton wrote: »
    Academy:

Prop: Michael Lagan
    Prop: Craig Trenier
    Hooker: John Andrews
    Hooker: Jonny Murphy
    Lock: Alan O'Connor
    Lock: John Donnan
    Lock: Alex Thompson
    Backrow: Frankie Taggart
    Backrow: Lorcan Dow
    Backrow: Josh Atkinson
    Scrumhalf: Dave Shanahan
    Outhalf: Sean O'Hagan
    Centre: Sam Arnold
    Centre/Wing: Jacob Stockdale
    Centre/Wing: Jack Owen
    Wing: Ross Adair
    Fullback: David Busby

Not seen them all play but there some very good players in there, let's hope they can make the step up in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Some very good players in that list. Ulster have really strengthened their Academy over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Quite good stuff from Scholes. Plenty of talent and decent size and looks very quick.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Quite good stuff from Scholes. Plenty of talent and decent size and looks very quick.

Hopefully this will be his breakthrough season but he has a lot of competition. We already have three test class wings and Scholes certainly has the potential to be a fourth given time.

The thing that stands out to me are the lines he takes. He is very similar to Tommy in this respect. Watch his second try against Exeter last week. But for the ginger hair itncould have been Tommy scoring that try!

Ulster XV and replacements to face Leinster, Pre-Season Friendly, Tallaght Stadium, Saturday 30th August (kick off 16:00): (15-9) L Ludik, M Allen, J Payne, S Olding, C Gilroy, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-9); A Warwick, R Herring, W Herbst, D Tuohy, F van der Merwe, R Diack, S Reidy, R Wilson (C);

Replacements: R Murphy, J Andrew, D Fitzpatrick, A O’Connor, N McComb, C Joyce, C Ross, N Williams, C Black, K McCall, B Ross, L Stevenson, M MCComish, M Heaney, D Shanahan, S O’Hagan, R Adair, J Stockdale, R Scholes, R Andrew.

Pretty much as strong we can be minus the internationals.

Payne Olding combination will be interesting to watch. We'll see if Payne looks a better 13 with Olding than he does with Marshall.

Paddy Jackson injured?

• Advertisement

Paddy Jackson injured?

Still recovering from his back injury I believe. Should be back at the end of Sept.

Payne Olding combination will be interesting to watch. We'll see if Payne looks a better 13 with Olding than he does with Marshall.

Well it will be interesting to see how Payne does with a run of games at 13 which he will probably get now with Cave seemingly out for the first three or four games.

I'm just glad to see Olding back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Well it will be interesting to see how Payne does with a run of games at 13 which he will probably get now with Cave seemingly out for the first three or four games.

I'm just glad to see Olding back!

What's wrong with Cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Potential Ireland Centre pairing at the WC there. Depending on how they go.

S12b wrote: »
    What's wrong with Cave?

Think he had shoulder surgery and he is recovering from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭badknees

Oh my Payne at 13 when Ludik can play there,no doubt there will be a gnashing of gums, the Payne and Anscombe 13 position was very much condemned by a lot on the east coast dominated uafc,apparently there seems to be not a whisper, especially now that it seems that Kiss is in charge. Of course the IRFU do not have any say in Ulsters selection policy.Blame Anscombe and move on.

• Advertisement

badknees wrote: »
    Oh my Payne at 13 when Ludik can play there,no doubt there will be a gnashing of gums, the Payne and Anscombe 13 position was very much condemned by a lot on the east coast dominated uafc,apparently there seems to be not a whisper, especially now that it seems that Kiss is in charge. Of course the IRFU do not have any say in Ulsters selection policy.Blame Anscombe and move on.

1. Cave is injured
    2. it's a friendly so nobody really cares who plays where.

The issue with Payne at 13 was that it weakened us at 13 and at 15. If Darren Cave is fit then he is our best 13. When he's not then there's not so much of an issue with Payne playing there now given we signed another decent fullback.

If we're randomly dropping Darren Cave in big games through the season and then seeing that action have a direct impact on our performance then I'm sure the same discontent will quite rightly return. Anscombe's selection of Payne at 13 in the semi final cost us the game along with his ridiculous substitutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭badknees

Can you really say that with 100 percent accuracy. If you can back it up with evidence fair enough,but since you appear to have some some sort of insight what was the injuries during those last games of the season,was Jackson not injured and when did Cave pick up his injury,but ultimately what you are saying is that outside of Cave Ulster have no 13 to play in a meaningless preseason friendly.Dont let power go to your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Are you saying uafc is full of Dubliners or people from Antrim?

I think its more that Darren Cave can do no wrong whatsoever in the eyes of some on UAFC and so when Payne has the temerity to play 13 he gets condemned. I'm actually a huge fan of Caves myself but the criticism Payne has got is completely OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

How do you know that the UAFC is dominated by the 'East Coast'? There are no addresses available afaik. :D However since more than 50% of the rugby playing population of Ulster live within 30 miles of the Greater Belfast Catchment, it would be bizarre if most of the posters didn't come from the area in which rugby is most popular and where most of the people live. The problem with Payne isn't that he is a poor player. The problem is that at 15 he is actually a stellar player and has contributed massively to Ulster's attacking play and Cave at 13 has a hand in a huge number of Ulster's tries. When Payne has played at 13, we lose his f.b. play and defence and tactical kicking (which is superb) and we lose Cave's subtley and off loading and line breaks in attack. We also lose Cave's defence. Have a look at Madigan's try in the semi final. That wouldn't have happened with Marshall at 12 and Cave at 13, both players were in the playing squad. Payne hadn't a clue. While Madigan deserves credit, Payne isn't a patch on Cave as a defender at 13.
    I think its more that Darren Cave can do no wrong whatsoever in the eyes of some on UAFC and so when Payne has the temerity to play 13 he gets condemned. I'm actually a huge fan of Caves myself but the criticism Payne has got is completely OTT.
    Payne is so good at 15 it's really that by comparison as a 13 he wouldn't normally get a start there. Cave 13 and Payne 15 is exponentially greater than Payne 13 and Ricki Andrew at 15. Which would you pick if it was your call?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement