Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea the fall on reference. At you talking about king of the hill btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

bilston wrote: »
    Was just reading the rumours section on UAFC and it seems we have signed two forwards. Reading the rumours I think this guy Boys is one of the two but the second is from another province. We know now it isn't Dougall anyway.

It's Etzebeth Bilston...isn't it? It is him though.

It's definitely him...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

awec wrote: »
    Yea the fall on reference. At you talking about king of the hill btw?
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Faloon is contracted until 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

No offence to Connacht's Willy....but i'd be seriously underwhelmed if we signed him. I'm sure plenty of Ulster fans would feel the same.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    No offence to Connacht's Willy....but i'd be seriously underwhelmed if we signed him. I'm sure plenty of Ulster fans would feel the same.

Connacht's Willy is bigger than yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »

He would be a good signing for squad depth. We could have done with him this last few months.

Has Dougall definitely signed for Pau?

Connacht's Willy is bigger than yours

Yeah, but its cold today....thats why... :o

He would be a good signing for squad depth. We could have done with him this last few months.

Has Dougall definitely signed for Pau?

Agree on the Squad depth issue. I think that is where Leinster really put some distance between themselves and the other provinces.

Would be great if we signed a top quality Backrow post world cup. Rory Mc to payoff Big Nick so he isn't hogging up our valuable NIQ spot.

• Advertisement

Article on IrishTimes talking to Sean O'Brien. Among many things he says that Iain Henderson is the most powerful player in Ireland....

High praise indeed...!

Michael Heaney at outhalf for the Ravens tomorrow v Connacht!!

Ulster Ravens team & replacements to play Connacht Eagles, Galway Sportsground, Thursday 5th February (kick off 16:00): (15-9): P Nelson; R Adair, R Andrew, J Pentland, A Craig, M Heaney, C Young; (1-8): K McCall, J Andrew, D Ryan, L Stevenson (C), N McComb, S Reidy, T Boys, C Butterworth; (Replacements (16-23): P Jackson, C Trenier, R Murphy, F Taggart, C Joyce, J Bingham, M Best, A Liddell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

S12b wrote: »
    Michael Heaney at outhalf for the Ravens tomorrow v Connacht!!

Ulster Ravens team & replacements to play Connacht Eagles, Galway Sportsground, Thursday 5th February (kick off 16:00): (15-9): P Nelson; R Adair, R Andrew, J Pentland, A Craig, M Heaney, C Young; (1-8): K McCall, J Andrew, D Ryan, L Stevenson (C), N McComb, S Reidy, T Boys, C Butterworth; (Replacements (16-23): P Jackson, C Trenier, R Murphy, F Taggart, C Joyce, J Bingham, M Best, A Liddell.

Paddy Jackson making a sly early comeback as substitute hooker.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Paddy Jackson making a sly early comeback as substitute hooker.

Not quite, it's his bro Paul.

Very weak looking Ravens team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

What's the story with Rory Scholes, was expecting big things from him this season.

shuffol wrote: »
    What's the story with Rory Scholes, was expecting big things from him this season.

Been injured. Think he is expected back soon. Had a lot of injuries unfortunately. Probably ahead of Allen when fit but like Seymour before will have his work cut out getting much game time at Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

The Eagles look strong as well, more senior players back and Heenan getting more game time. Was hoping to see a stronger looking Ravens team. Is Sean O'Hagan injured?

Been injured. Think he is expected back soon. Had a lot of injuries unfortunately. Probably ahead of Allen when fit but like Seymour before will have his work cut out getting much game time at Ulster.

Hasn't he been expected back soon since early in the season.

Willie Faloon heading back up to ye. Not the big name backrow ye want but a good signing nonetheless....he will be a valuable squad player and provide quality backup to Henry.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/willie-faloon-to-return-to-ulster-rugby/#ConnachtNews

A 1 year deal just?

I thought it was him from what was being said a few weeks ago.

Ulster team & replacements to play Benetton Treviso, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 13th February (19:35 kick off): (15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen, I Humphreys, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, L Stevenson, F Van der Merwe, R Wilson (Captain), M McComish, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, R Diack, C Ross, P Marshall, S McCloskey, P Nelson.

Gilroy becomes youngest ever player to hit 100 caps.

McCloskey on the bench!

Diack released from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Ulster team & replacements to play Benetton Treviso, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 13th February (19:35 kick off): (15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen, I Humphreys, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, L Stevenson, F Van der Merwe, R Wilson (Captain), M McComish, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, R Diack, C Ross, P Marshall, S McCloskey, P Nelson.

McCloskey on the bench!

McCloskey all better then? What happened his arm again was it 'just' ligament strain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

No he required surgery, that's a remarkable recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

.ak wrote: »
    No he required surgery, that's a remarkable recovery.

wow yeah, hope he isn't being rushed back too soon. Or maybe we have another wolverine on the island.

McCloskey on the bench!

Great news about McCloskey!

Unfortunately with it having been dry for the last four weeks the forecast ia for heavy rain tomorrow. The weather Gods obviously knew Ulster had a game.

I was hoping we would get a look at Boys but to be fair McComish does deserve the shirt at the moment.

Brillant achievement by Gilroy to hit 100 caps, especially given he would have been behind both Trimble and Bowe for a lot of his career to date. He has hit some good form this season.

Just noticed AOC is missing.

I actually can't believe Gilroy has 100 caps.

I actually can't believe Gilroy has 100 caps.

only 1 cap behind Earls @ Munster!

Great to see McCloskey back, injury update on the 13th of January said 6-8 weeks so definitely ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Trimble suffered a reoccurrence of his foot injury and will miss the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Get well soon Andrew. Tough stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Just noticed AOC is missing.

Hearing he could be injured and out for a number of weeks

Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Presumably it's the big toe then? Heard it can be a bitch to get right, and you have to be careful with rehab as it'll effect your running form if you don't heal it properly.. As running/stepping/balance is a wingers biggest asset I'm fine with him taking some down time to get it right and hopefully he'll be back for the warmup games in August.

As for Ulster yeah it's a kick in the nads, but you have some brilliant back three players and with McCloskey's miracle recovery it looks like you'll be set. Also it means Payne will almost certainly be lining out at 15, which is what most of you seem to prefer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

.ak wrote: »
    Presumably it's the big toe then? Heard it can be a bitch to get right, and you have to be careful with rehab as it'll effect your running form if you don't heal it properly.. As running/stepping/balance is a wingers biggest asset I'm fine with him taking some down time to get it right and hopefully he'll be back for the warmup games in August.

As for Ulster yeah it's a kick in the nads, but you have some brilliant back three players and with McCloskey's miracle recovery it looks like you'll be set. Also it means Payne will almost certainly be lining out at 15, which is what most of you seem to prefer!

Ludik......

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ludik......

Which is madness. Ludik seems popular with some fans and certainly doesn't do much wrong but Payne is superior. Also I was thinking while watching the France v Scotland game last weekend that we were very close to signing Hogg. Not sure why it fell through but we lost out there.

madlad88 wrote: »
    Hearing he could be injured and out for a number of weeks

Can anyone confirm this?

Well sure he plays for Ulster so in all probability he is injured.

• Advertisement

I think the Hogg deal was done and then he decided he wanted more money and was told to sling his hook.

Anyway, it would be a problem this time of year. Our squad is limited enough without losing NIQ players during the 6N and AIs as well.

Ulster need a bit of discipline here. Stevenson gives away a stupid penalty. Some silly errors as well but at least the backs look dangerous on the few occasions they've got the ball.

The Treviso hooker cannot hook!

Lovely finish from Allen. Great breaks from Wilson and Cave in the build up. Cave looking really excellent...shock...

Jaysus Gilroy just nearly scored a worldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Who are the commentators? They strike me as quite ignorant of the rules.

Saying Marshall put that lock onside for a try is just BS. He advanced from an offside position so there is no way that was a try. Correct call by the ref.

I think the penalty try was wrong. Once the ball crosses the try line, there is no offside line. The Ulster no. 8 should have fallen on it as soon as it touched the line. Otherwise the Italians were within their rights to collapse, kick at it, dive on it etc.

Unless these rules have changed recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Who are the commentators? They strike me as quite ignorant of the rules.

Saying Marshall put that lock onside for a try is just BS. He advanced from an offside position so there is no way that was a try. Correct call by the ref.

I think the penalty try was wrong. Once the ball crosses the try line, there is no offside line. The Ulster no. 8 should have fallen on it as soon as it touched the line. Otherwise the Italians were within their rights to collapse, kick at it, dive on it etc.

Unless these rules have changed recently.
    You talking about the famously unbiased commentators on BBCNI:D. If something doesn't go Ulster's way they'll criticise it....

• Advertisement

Gilroy has had a very good game, worked hard and I'm delighted he got a try on an occasion that he will certainly be a little bit more in-tune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You talking about the famously unbiased commentators on BBCNI:D. If something doesn't go Ulster's way they'll criticise it....

So the rules haven't changed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    So the rules haven't changed??
    No laws have changed but what you and I see happening doesn't always appear to be what they see as its through very much Ulster tinted glasses

Did we get 4 tries? Out for a meal and forgot to record this :(

Did we get 4 tries? Out for a meal and forgot to record this :(

Six I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement