Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Ulster Rugby ✔ @UlsterRugby
    FULL TIME: ULSTER 43 TREVISO 3
    6 tries for the hosts tonight Kingspan Stadium, including 2 for Craig Gilroy on his 100th appearance #SUFTUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Gilroy has had a very good game, worked hard and I'm delighted he got a try on an occasion that he will certainly be a little bit more in-tune too.

He got two actually.

Glad the game opened up at the end and they got some good tries, should give a good confidence boost going into the rest of the games ahead.

Good to see McCloskey back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You talking about the famously unbiased commentators on BBCNI:D. If something doesn't go Ulster's way they'll criticise it....

BBC NI may be biased but as far as I'm concerned they just make up for the attitude of RTE and the southern media in general to anything Ulster related be it the team or regarding players in relation to the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ULSTER 43 TREVISO 3 and still dross. McComish is as much use as an outside bog on the space station and Stevenson is no better. Cretins really.

jacothelad wrote: »
    ULSTER 43 TREVISO 3 and still dross. McComish is as much use as an outside bog on the space station and Stevenson is no better. Cretins really.

I thought Ulster played quite well in the second half, it just took until the last quarter for things to fall into place.

McCloskey looked like he hadn't been away and literally tore Treviso apart when he came on, and while Gilroy will get the headlines I thought Allen had a great game. Roger was good as well and Big Nick showed up well.

Agree though about Stevenson, some of his play was just inexplicably dumb at times. I thought McComish did fine to be honest!

How good was Big Licence's try? The thing I loved about it was that it involved three kids, John Andrew, Peter Nelson and of course Warwick himself. It was straight out of the Joe Schmidt playbook!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

bilston wrote: »
    BBC NI may be biased but as far as I'm concerned they just make up for the attitude of RTE and the southern media in general to anything Ulster related be it the team or regarding players in relation to the Irish team.

lol, any examples of this anti-Ulster bias from the so-called "southern media"?

Swan Curry wrote: »

Firstly why did you put southern media in inverted commas? Are the southern and northern media not separate entities?

Anyway I didn't say they were anti Ulster, but clearly Ulster have a different profile in the southern media, that being the case people shouldn't get upset when BBC NI are pro Ulster.

But just to humour you... A screaming headline from the Irish Independent in 2012 that Ulster beating Munster in the HEC would be bad for Irish rugby and the general treatment of Paddy Jackson in general, one Tom McGurk angrily described him as "that schoolboy" after he dared take ROGs spot in the Ireland team are just two examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Firstly why did you put southern media in inverted commas? Are the southern and northern media not separate entities?

Anyway I didn't say they were anti Ulster, but clearly Ulster have a different profile in the southern media, that being the case people shouldn't get upset when BBC NI are pro Ulster.

But just to humour you... A screaming headline from the Irish Independent in 2012 that Ulster beating Munster in the HEC would be bad for Irish rugby and the general treatment of Paddy Jackson in general, one Tom McGurk angrily described him as "that schoolboy" after he dared take ROGs spot in the Ireland team are just two examples.

I implore you not to base your opinion of Southern Irish media on the Indo and Tom McGuirk :(

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be fair the media down here is very much based around Leinster and Munster even when it comes to the Ireland team. That's what sells papers though, Ulster fans aren't their customers.

awec wrote: »
    To be fair the media down here is very much based around Leinster and Munster even when it comes to the Ireland team. That's what sells papers though, Ulster fans aren't their customers.

But that's exactly my point. Some posters criticise BBC NI for being pro Ulster, I'm just giving the other side of the argument. BBC NI's viewership are mostly Ulster fans. The issue I suppose is that when Ulster play another province BBC NI may be the only way Leinster, Munster or Connacht fans can watch the game.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just coming to this late but anyone complaining that BBC "northern Ireland" is pro Ulster. ...... needs to have a long talk to themselves

Anyway enough of the media chat.

Elsewhere just looking at the U20s from an Ulster perspective, Zac McCall impressed me in the loose, but here were two or three iffy throws but there is something to work with here.

Alex Thompson was pretty quiet but given the size of him I can't help but feel once he gets used to the physicality he will really come on, I think he has another year to go as well.

Lorcan Dow really impressed me, making some hard carries, one from a scrum going backwards on his own line being a particular highlight as he made it to the 22.

Sam Arnold was very good, he made some big tackles, made good yards and gave the decisive pass for two of the tries.

Finally Jack Owens scored a nice try, but made a few mistakes elsewhere, he was outshone by Fitzgerald and Dardis who were simply outstanding. It will be interesting to see Stockdale get a run in this side.

Dow and Arnold really look the biz though and give it another year and I reckon Thompson and McCall won't be far behind them. You never know we might get a couple of decent forwards out of this group!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have no problem with BBCNI being pro-Ulster. It makes sense. But I do have an issue with commentators not knowing the rules and stating things that were simply wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I have no problem with BBCNI being pro-Ulster. It makes sense. But I do have an issue with commentators not knowing the rules and stating things that were simply wrong.

Sometimes (in the past, certainly) the only way to watch some Ulster matches was on BBC 2 Wales or S4C. Naturally those channels have a bias for the Welsh team they were playing.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Can't argue with that!

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Too many to be bothered including such gems as 'A win for Ulster will be bad for Irish rugby .' - Irish Independent. 'Ulster are a bunch of 'Plastic paddies.' Neil Francis. If you can't see it you need your 'eyes tested'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just coming to this late but anyone complaining that BBC "northern Ireland" is pro Ulster. ...... needs to have a long talk to themselves

Not wrong with them being pro Ulster. Neilly sounds like a lad in the stands who is on his third pint though. The complaining about the offside call against Stevenson was just poor and he wouldn't give it a rest.

Ulster do completely get a raw deal in the southern media. RTE broadcast across the island but Ulster may as well be based in France. Tom McGurk is Ulster bred though, bilston!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neilly is like a drunk Mark Robson

Buer wrote: »
    Tom McGurk is Ulster bred though, bilston!

Oh I know. Think he's from Tyrone, that's what makes it stranger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Oh I know. Think he's from Tyrone, that's what makes it stranger!

Just wiki'd him there. Fecker is only a few miles from us at home!! Must run him past the oul lad - they're near the same age.

They also have him down at 6ft 7!! Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just wiki'd him there. Fecker is only a few miles from us at home!! Must run him past the oul lad - they're near the same age.

They also have him down at 6ft 7!! Surely not?

Correct on both counts. He's huge. Think he played lock for your boys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ive seen no mention but ulster have apparently signed samoa international mike stanley

Ive seen no mention but ulster have apparently signed samoa international mike stanley

Another Out Half?

iHumph gone again?

Samoa are at the WC too aren't they, so it's not coverage for PJ.

Interesting

Another Out Half?

iHumph gone again?

Samoa are at the WC too aren't they, so it's not coverage for PJ.

Interesting
    Its just a short term signing, for the rest of the season

https://mobile.twitter.com/mj_stanley

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/3293/Ulster-Rugby-sign-Samoan-international-on-short-term-contract-.aspx

Ulster Rugby has signed Samoan international outhalf, Mike Stanley, on a short-term contract until the end of this season.

• Advertisement

I see Stringer is being released by Bath at the end of the season, if I were Bryn Cunningham I'd be straight in there. Remember Pienaar will hardly play pre Christmas next season. Signing Stringer, albeit a 37 year old Stringer, could be a masterstroke.

I see Stringer is being released by Bath at the end of the season, if I were Bryn Cunningham I'd be straight in there. Remember Pienaar will hardly play pre Christmas next season. Signing Stringer, albeit a 37 year old Stringer, could be a masterstroke.

Consummate pro...would be a good influence on Heaney coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Like Ruan isn't a good influence?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Like Ruan isn't a good influence?

As Bilston posted...with Ruan missing a good chunk of the start of the season, wouldn't stringer be a decent signing. Therefore wouldn't he provide a good influence on the likes of Heaney? No?

Sadly, I think we could have Gareth Edwards, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, Colin Patterson, Nick Farr-Jones and Roger Young all coaching him and he won't be any more than average.

• Advertisement

Ulster likely RWC tourists list
    Very Likely Possibles Maybes
    Best Herring Fitzpatrick
    Henderson Tuohy Henry?
    Pienaar Diack Cave
    Jackson Marshall
    Payne Olding
    Trimble Gilroy
    Bowe

Currently contracted players. Bold for 'not in above table' and so almost certainly available.

LH - Black, Warwick, Murphy
    HK - Best, Herring, Andrew
    TH - Herbst, Fitzpatrick, Lutton,
    SR - Tuohy, Van Der Merwe, Stevenson, O'Connor
    BS - Henderson, Diack, McComb, McCormish,
    OS - Henry, Faloon, Ross, Reidy
    8 - Wilson, Williams
    SH - Pienaar, Marshall, Heaney
    FH - Jackson, iHumph,
    LW - Gilroy
    IS - Olding, Marshall, McCloskey
    OS - Cave, Payne, Allen
    RW - Bowe, Trimble
    FB - Ludik, Nelson, Andrew

Brillant news. I read a dirty rumour on PR at the weekend linking him with Saracens. I think I'd have given up on rugby if that had come to pass.

Best Herring Fitzpatrick
    Henderson Tuohy Henry?
    Pienaar Diack Cave
    Jackson Marshall
    Payne Olding
    Trimble Gilroy
    Bowe

Currently contracted players. Bold for 'not in above table' and so almost certainly available.

8 - Wilson, Williams
    FH - Jackson, iHumph,
    LW - Gilroy
    OS - Cave, Payne, Allen
    RW - Bowe, Trimble

I think Jackson may be up against it. There are one or two on uafc suggesting his injury is pretty serious and that the 8-12 week prognosis may be very optimisic. If he doesn't play again this season then I think he may be out of contention as all he will have left are the August games and will he even get an opportunity in those matches with Sexton, Keatley and Madigan around.

I think Jackson may be up against it. There are one or two on uafc suggesting his injury is pretty serious and that the 8-12 week prognosis may be very optimisic. If he doesn't play again this season then I think he may be out of contention as all he will have left are the August games and will he even get an opportunity in those matches with Sexton, Keatley and Madigan around.

Well he's a better out half than two of the three here. So I'd imagine so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Best Herring Fitzpatrick
    Henderson Tuohy Henry?
    Pienaar Diack Cave
    Jackson Marshall
    Payne Olding
    Trimble Gilroy
    Bowe

8 - Wilson, Williams
    FH - Jackson, iHumph,
    LW - Gilroy
    OS - Cave, Payne, Allen
    RW - Bowe, Trimble

AOC out of contract (Academy) in june not tied in for next year yet AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

shaungil wrote: »
    AOC out of contract (Academy) in june not tied in for next year yet AFAIK

AOC is in negotiations for a professional contract

madlad88 wrote: »
    AOC is in negotiations for a professional contract

Should be a no brainer for Ulster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Well he's a better out half than two of the three here. So I'd imagine so!

I don't think that's a guarantee of anything though. Earls and Fitzgerald are clearly better players than F Jones, but guess which one has been benching in the six nations

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Brillant news. I read a dirty rumour on PR at the weekend linking him with Saracens. I think I'd have given up on rugby if that had come to pass.
    London Irish had enquired about him and Bowe.

• Advertisement

damianmcr wrote: »
    London Irish had enquired about him and Bowe.

What's Olding's contract situation?

Anyone else out of contract? Trimble? Don't believe for a second that Trimble would leave though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Ulster team & replacements to play Edinburgh, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 20th February (19:35 kick off): (15-9):
    L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave, S McCloskey, M Allen, I Humphreys, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, I Henderson, F Van der Merwe, R Wilson (Captain), M McComish, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, L Stevenson, C Ross, P Marshall, L Marshall, P Nelson.

Henderson starts, as does McCloskey. Diack injured.

No sign of that Stanley guy yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McCloskey ahead of Marshall and Henderson in at second row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ugh. With a weekend of no internationals why does this clash with the Leinster game?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    McCloskey ahead of Marshall and Henderson in at second row.

Marshall is at a bit of a crossroads now. McCloskey tore Treviso apart in 20 mins last week where as Luke played fine but didn't do anything spectacular. And that kind of sums him up now. He doesn't play badly but compared to McCloskey and Olding he just looks a little military medium right now. I've always been a fan of his so I hope he can get it back.

Henderson in the row seems to end any debate about the Irish back row next weekend as well, although it was always likely to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Marshall is at a bit of a crossroads now. McCloskey tore Treviso apart in 20 mins last week where as Luke played fine but didn't do anything spectacular. And that kind of sums him up now. He doesn't play badly but compared to McCloskey and Olding he just looks a little military medium right now. I've always been a fan of his so I hope he can get it back.

Henderson in the row seems to end any debate about the Irish back row next weekend as well, although it was always likely to be the case.

Henderson in the row because of the injury problems there at the moment.

Ideally he would be playing instead of Mccomish, with AOC in the row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Early try conceded to Edinburgh? Ulster really need a win tonight.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Browne_(rugby_union)

Anyone know anything about this guy. Rumour is that you are signing him

4/5/6/8

He is IQ

Versatile but ultimately another underwhelming signing if that's true. Not going to get excited about signing a bloke from the worst team in the AP who concede about 45 points on average per game.

Stinks of desperation.

• Advertisement

Versatile but ultimately another underwhelming signing if that's true. Not going to get excited about signing a bloke from the worst team in the AP who concede about 45 points on average per game.

Stinks of desperation.

You need a good backrow signing imo, if this guy is just to take ross, reidy or the other amateur backrow forward you signed this year contract ghen all well and good but if this is it for the year then its just underwhelming

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement