Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You need a good backrow signing imo, if this guy is just to take ross, reidy or the other amateur backrow forward you signed this year contract ghen all well and good but if this is it for the year then its just underwhelming

You would hope it's the former. Good luck to him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

You need a good backrow signing imo, if this guy is just to take ross, reidy or the other amateur backrow forward you signed this year contract ghen all well and good but if this is it for the year then its just underwhelming

He's a lock though, an odd signing as it is an area where Ulster have a fair bit of depth with Van der Merve, Tuohy, Henderson, AOC all quality as well as there been a few others. Perhaps the plan is to ensure Henderson won't be needed in the 2nd row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I was told that he is being signed as a 6/8 more than anything else but research is showing that he primarily plays lock.

Sounds more like a Neil McComb type player. Not sure if McComb is off or not but maybe he is his replacement, ie a squad player.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

4 weeks for McCloskey.

What absolute bollocks.

Also he actually misses 5 weekends going by the dates they've given, no idea how they count their weeks in the Pro12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's a joke tbh.

Also, they banned for 4 weeks and then added a week on and took a week off!

So really if he hadn't turned up in a nice suit he'd be out for 5 weeks (which they'd probably turn in to 6 or 7 weekends or something).

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Ulster likely RWC tourists list
    Very Likely Possibles Maybes
    Best Herring Fitzpatrick
    Henderson Tuohy Henry?
    Pienaar Diack Cave
    Jackson Marshall
    Payne Olding
    Trimble Gilroy
    Bowe

Currently contracted players. Bold for 'not in above table' and so almost certainly available.

LH - Black, Warwick, Murphy
    HK - Best, Herring, Andrew
    TH - Herbst, Fitzpatrick, Lutton,
    SR - Tuohy, Van Der Merwe, Stevenson, O'Connor
    BS - Henderson, Diack, McComb, McCormish,
    OS - Henry, Faloon, Ross, Reidy
    8 - Wilson, Williams
    SH - Pienaar, Marshall, Heaney
    FH - Jackson, iHumph,
    LW - Gilroy
    IS - Olding, Marshall, McCloskey
    OS - Cave, Payne, Allen
    RW - Bowe, Trimble
    FB - Ludik, Nelson, Andrew

Any idea how Rory Scholes is getting on at the moment? Is he back playing at club level yet?

I thought he looked very promising in his few appearances for the senior team & at U20's. Hopefully he'll come back strong from his injury & get some more gametime in the back three early next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

McCloskey got the "entry point" suspension which is something I suppose.

McCloskey got the "entry point" suspension which is something I suppose.

Entry point plus one (for deterrent), minus one (for his record and choice of suit).

All seems a bit contrived to me.

I also don't see how a 4 week ban results in someone being out until March 29th, which is clearly 5 weekends.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Entry point plus one (for deterrent), minus one (for his record and choice of suit).

All seems a bit contrived to me.

I also don't see how a 4 week ban results in someone being out until March 29th, which is clearly 5 weekends.

They don't count weekends when the player is not due to play though, that's standard enough.

Also, Dylan Hartley got three weeks for elbowing someone in the bake!

Dylan Hartley. Hartley. Dylan Hartley. Three weeks. Elbow. Face. THREE weeks. Dylan fecking Hartley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dylan Hartley. Hartley. Dylan Hartley. Three weeks. Elbow. Face. THREE weeks. Dylan fecking Hartley!

Where's the bake? :D

Where's the bake? :D

24338EE400000578-2885418-image-a-36_1419364231422.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

24338EE400000578-2885418-image-a-36_1419364231422.jpg

Yeah that looks like a rap on the bake alright. Could also be argued that a bang on the snatterbox like that is seriously dangerous. I wouldn't like a rap on the chops like that myself. Fierce sore on the delf i'd imagine.

4 weeks for McCloskey.

What absolute bollocks.

Also he actually misses 5 weekends going by the dates they've given, no idea how they count their weeks in the Pro12.

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Considering he's back stupidly quick after a big injury and was playing well it's an absolute kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Hear Roger wilson is called into irish squad due to injury to diack and odonnel 's concussion so you'll be down 2 back rows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

That's the inevitable consequence of having an all English panel dishing out punishment to an England starter with the 6N round the corner, same thing happened with Tuilagi's punch on Ashton a few seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

shuffol wrote: »
    That's the inevitable consequence of having an all English panel dishing out punishment to an England starter with the 6N round the corner, same thing happened with Tuilagi's punch on Ashton a few seasons ago.

Same thing happened to Irish players in the past in the Pro 12 as well to be fair.

• Advertisement

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Hear Roger wilson is called into irish squad due to injury to diack and odonnel 's concussion so you'll be down 2 back rows...

He will probably be released, if not we will more than likely see Boys, Reidy or Ross start.

I've lost track of all the short term contracts we have dished out this year.

Raymaakers
    Ross
    Reidy
    Boys
    Stanley

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Browne_(rugby_union)

Anyone know anything about this guy. Rumour is that you are signing him

4/5/6/8

He is IQ

Was well thought of at Quins as a back-up player. I wouldn't measure him by what's happening to London Welsh, everything has gone wrong there and there's surely not a single player playing to his potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Same thing happened to Irish players in the past in the Pro 12 as well to be fair.

I don't think he's implying it hasn't. Which doesn't make either of them better but it's not going to change so what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

bilston wrote: »
    He will probably be released, if not we will more than likely see Boys, Reidy or Ross start.

I've lost track of all the short term contracts we have dished out this year.

Raymaakers
    Ross
    Reidy
    Boys
    Stanley

Anyone else?

They are strange signings alright, very short term. But necessary due to injuries I suppose.

Ross and Reidy would not be in the same bracket as the others. They were more of a punt from the AIL and are with you for a year at least. Dave Ryan and Butterworth would fall into the same category. They are just players who are IQ and worth a go. I feel a bit for them as they are not the level of signings that the Ulster faithful want or expect. Hard when you have players like Ferris and sadly this season Henry to replace.

Raymaakers and Boys are just strange signings, they just add to the frustration of low quality signings and does not show much faith in the Irish qualified lads on a years deal. Stanley I would presume was a panic deal as there is precious little cover at 10 with PJ out for so long and iHumph a bit erratic. The whole thing smacks of a lack of forward planning, but in all honesty Ulster have been totally set back with injuries in key positions and strangely enough they are still in the hunt for the Pro12 play offs and if they could get a home semi final.......... with a home final to follow. It could be a very good year yet, you just never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    They are strange signings alright, very short term. But necessary due to injuries I suppose.

Ross and Reidy would not be in the same bracket as the others. They were more of a punt from the AIL and are with you for a year at least. Dave Ryan and Butterworth would fall into the same category. They are just players who are IQ and worth a go. I feel a bit for them as they are not the level of signings that the Ulster faithful want or expect. Hard when you have players like Ferris and sadly this season Henry to replace.

Raymaakers and Boys are just strange signings, they just add to the frustration of low quality signings and does not show much faith in the Irish qualified lads on a years deal. Stanley I would presume was a panic deal as there is precious little cover at 10 with PJ out for so long and iHumph a bit erratic. The whole thing smacks of a lack of forward planning, but in all honesty Ulster have been totally set back with injuries in key positions and strangely enough they are still in the hunt for the Pro12 play offs and if they could get a home semi final.......... with a home final to follow. It could be a very good year yet, you just never know.

Olding is considered 3rd choice at 10 so with him out Stanley is being brought in. Very few teams can cope without 1st and 3rd choice at many positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Ireland u18 Clubs played Jake Byrne has signed for Ulster for the 2015/16 season (unsure whether it is sub acad or full acad) from the Northampton Saints junior academy (the non pro schoolboy (u18) academy).

Tuohy back!

Ulster team & replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 27th February (19:35 kick off):
    (15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen, I Humphreys, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, R Wilson (captain), C Ross, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, L Stevenson, M McComish, P Marshall, M Stanley, R Scholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Tuohy back!

Ulster team & replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 27th February (19:35 kick off):
    (15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen, I Humphreys, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, R Wilson (captain), C Ross, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, L Stevenson, M McComish, P Marshall, M Stanley, R Scholes.

...and Scholes

Tuohy back!

Think it's a big ask for Ross to play 7 against Barclay and Davies. He's a natural 6. Would also like see him tried in the 2nd row. I thought his scrummaging was excellent when ulster were down to 13 men and he is 6 foot 5 or so. Touhy back is huge for ulster he was the form 2nd row this year hopefully he stays fit. Think ulster should talk to the guy who found Herbst for them when they're looking for replacement players not the guy who got Reidy,Boys and Raymakers. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fear not. 5 pointer for Ulster tonight.

Think it's a big ask for Ross to play 7 against Barclay and Davies. He's a natural 6. Would also like see him tried in the 2nd row.

I've said it before but I think some of the criticism of Ross has been unfair. He is being asked to perform a role that wouldn't have been on the job spec when he was signed.

Think ulster made a mistake of not signing conor Gilsenan. Faloon is good but constantly broken. Gilsenan is younger and a natural 7 aswell.

As I said before whoever is Ulster's scout in nz is having a laugh.

Ferris Curse?

• Advertisement

Sounds positive on Paddy Jackson though. When is the next Pro 12 break? It would be great to have him back for the last 4 games with Connacht, Munster, Leinster and Glasgow.

Think ulster made a mistake of not signing conor Gilsenan. Faloon is good but constantly broken. Gilsenan is younger and a natural 7 aswell.

As I said before whoever is Ulster's scout in nz is having a laugh.

Wasn't Raymaakers injured before he got here?

Boys just seems bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are Dave Ryan or Ruaidhri Murphy even still at the club?

Are Dave Ryan or Ruaidhri Murphy even still at the club?

Yea I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Latest word is Jackson, Olding and Henry all potentials for Cardiff.

Quite the turnaround in injuries. Could be going into that difficult run of the last four games only missing Trimble from our best 23.

• Advertisement

Latest word is Jackson, Olding and Henry all potentials for Cardiff.

Quite the turnaround in injuries. Could be going into that difficult run of the last four games only missing Trimble from our best 23.

Would be fantastic to see them all back, but Henry in particular I thought might never re-appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Would be fantastic to see them all back, but Henry in particular I thought might never re-appear.

Yeah. Given Pollock and Ferris' career difficulties, it's hard to to wince when an Ulster back-rower starts to have health - never mind straightforward injury - issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

A new two-year IRFU contract for @andrew_trimble to stay at @UlsterRugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ssaye2 wrote: »
    A new two-year IRFU contract for @andrew_trimble to stay at @UlsterRugby

Excellent news for Ulster and for Ireland. Is he due back from injury anytime soon?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Excellent news for Ulster and for Ireland. Is he due back from injury anytime soon?

Hopefully in time for the WC warm ups but not before.

Marshall and Wilson both cited after the Scarlets game.

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

bilston wrote: »
    Marshall and Wilson both cited after the Scarlets game.

FFS.

Huh, what on earth for?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Marshall's got 5 weeks for that kick to the head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

iamjenko wrote: »
    Marshall's got 5 weeks for that kick to the head

Is there any footage of his or Wilson's acts? I saw neither

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

"Ulster inside centre Luke Marshall has been given a five-week suspension after being found guilty of kicking an opposing player in the head last week.

He appeared before an independent PRO12 Rugby Disciplinary Committee on Thursday, with the ugly incident having taken place against the Scarlets.

"The Disciplinary Committee, chaired by Pamela Woodman, sitting with Bill Dunlop and Roddy Dunlop (all Scotland), having listened to representations by and on behalf of the player, and viewed TV footage of the incident, found that Luke Marshall had committed an act of foul play which would have warranted a red card and considered it to be at the mid-range of World Rugby's sanctions for this type of offence, which carries an entry-point of 8 weeks," read a statement.

"The Committee found that there were no aggravating factors, and after taking into account various mitigating factors including the player's unblemished playing record, the Committee reduced the entry point by three weeks and imposed a five-week suspension.

"The player is suspended from playing until midnight on Sunday 12 April 2015, taking into account one 'down' week and has the right of appeal.""

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement