Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

shuffol wrote: »
    Very congested squad of centers at Leinster too, at 12 alone he'd be competing with D'arcy, Macfadden, Fitzgerald, Reid, O'Shea. Englands the right move for him I think.

In terms of numbers it seems congested. I don't think the field really is that congested though and he may cut straight through it. I really think D'Arcy is fading quickly. I don't think Fitz is thought of too seriously at 12 by Joe. It's frequently discussed on Boards but I've never seen much evidence that he'd be picked anywhere but wing in a HC game, for example.

McFadden is in line to take over fully at 12 (next year even, in my opinion). Whitten would basically be in a two horse race with him because Reid and O'Shea are good prospects but not close to being picked at HC yet.

Joe/Leinster love squad depth (I wish other coaches would love it too...) and so I'd see Whitten/McFadden being competition a la Healy/Van Der Merwe, Reddan/Boss, Strauss/Cronin etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kaino wants to stay in NZ so he never spoke to anyone I don't think.

Annett is a bit small I think? Premiership will sort him out. Hopefully he does a better job than that leinster waster did over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Chris Farrell: 12 or 13?

Well he's played 12 in the two games he's played for Ulster, but has played 13 for the Ravens with Marshall at 12 and obviously is playing 13 for the 20s with JJ inside.

To be honest I don't know yet, for all his size and power he's a very good passer of the ball and he's a very good offloader which might point towards 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

McKinney to England would be disappointing. Would like to see him at Leinster next year as third choice 10 (Reid is a better 12 imo) but it's understandable that he wants more first team action.

What's Annett been like this season? IIRC he was great at U20s level. Would they not let someone like Brady go to try to give a young talented hooker a chance?

Also was that Kaino to Ulster rumour bullshít?

Annett is only 21, a couple of years in England will hopefully do him good. If it makes him as a player hopefully we'll get him back, if he doesn't progress then he gets a career in the lower reaches of the AP or Championship and more power to him.

Hype710 wrote: »
    McKinney to England would be disappointing. Would like to see him at Leinster next year as third choice 10 (Reid is a better 12 imo) but it's understandable that he wants more first team action.

I agree with this. McKinney is a solid player. He doesn't have Jackson's natural ability but at the minute I would probably trust him to manage a game a bit better than PJ. It would be good to keep them both at Ulster but you can see McKinney's point of view. Be 3rd or 4th choice 10 at Ulster or get regular game time in England somewhere. It's not unlike the Gareth Steenson situation actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Annett is a bit small I think? Premiership will sort him out. Hopefully he does a better job than that leinster waster did over there.

Harsh; he's had a couple of nasty injuries so hasn't had a run of it.

Harsh; he's had a couple of nasty injuries so hasn't had a run of it.
    I work with a couple of lads from there who have a poor opinion of him but tbf that could just be because of the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Also was that Kaino to Ulster rumour bullshít?
    He came to Ulster but not as a player, he came and visited his best mate John Afoa and papers tv and twitter made a massive deal out of it. Yes some of the players built it up bigger Ferris Payne Afoa and Kaino tweeted about 'coming to ulster' but it was just teasing the press

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

lologram wrote: »
    In terms of numbers it seems congested. I don't think the field really is that congested though and he may cut straight through it. I really think D'Arcy is fading quickly. I don't think Fitz is thought of too seriously at 12 by Joe. It's frequently discussed on Boards but I've never seen much evidence that he'd be picked anywhere but wing in a HC game, for example.

McFadden is in line to take over fully at 12 (next year even, in my opinion). Whitten would basically be in a two horse race with him because Reid and O'Shea are good prospects but not close to being picked at HC yet.

Joe/Leinster love squad depth (I wish other coaches would love it too...) and so I'd see Whitten/McFadden being competition a la Healy/Van Der Merwe, Reddan/Boss, Strauss/Cronin etc

Theres no doubt Leinster would make use of him if they got him but I dont think they need him and I think he'd be better served going elsewhere. It'd be very like the Fionn Carr situation, I couldnt see him getting into HC squads ahead of Mcfadden and D'arcy, at least not initially and I think like Carr he could be coming under pressure from younger players behind him. I also think it'd serve Leinster better to develop their own youngsters as they're not short of centers. As for Fitz, whether he moves to 12 depends on the progression of Dave Kearney and Conway. Nacewa and Rob are nailed down for 2 of the back 3 slots and if D.Kearney or Conway show enough Fitzgerald could be moved inside, he certainly has the game to play there as he's showed in his all too few outings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't think Whitten to Leinster would be a great idea for him. He'd probably get some gametime, but he does at Ulster too and he probably would get even less meaningful gametime (maybe the wrong word but I couldn't see him making the HC 23 or the big pro12 games either).

A move to Munster could have been good before they signed Downey and Laulala, but again...he'd probably be second choice if he moved there now. Though maybe he could force his way ahead of Downey.

And Connacht...well it would be a straight battle between him and McSharry for the 12 shirt. And rightly or wrongly, he'd probably want assurances that he'd be a regular starter if he moved to Connacht. So maybe England is the right option?

Though McKinney...I rate him, I think he could be a great signing for Connacht. Much better than NOC imo, and Parks is only a short-term signing really. McKinney has the potential to be better than Jarvis, Nikora and NOC so I think being understudy to someone experienced like Parks could really benefit him and then he could be a starting out-half for a team who are making huge strides in the right direction.

Does anyone know if Connacht attempted to sign him when they got NOC? It seemed like a move that would make sense even last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Faloon to Connacht possibly?

I think Whitten is better than both McSharry and Downey at 12.

He'll do well in England I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

NZ Under 20 coach Mark Annscombe is reportedly Ulster's new coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7578612,00.html

Whitten to Exeter confirmed, 2 year deal. Good luck to the guy.

• Advertisement

I'm not happy to see him leave tbh.

Hopefully he can be one of those exiles that comes back in 2/3 years twice the man he left as.

I'm not happy to see him leave tbh.

Hopefully he can be one of those exiles that comes back in 2/3 years twice the man he left as.
    Humphs is supposedly very good at keeping tabs on Ulster guys around the place.

I think this is a case of it suiting Ulster and the player perfectly.

RC? (hopefully)

RC? (hopefully)
    I don't think he's needed by Ulster, plus he doesn't have the best reputation there. Muller, Tuohy and Stephenson are all guys I'd rate as H Cup capable and Henderson is coming through with Barker as depth.

Leinster might be a better option for him. Only way I could see him coming back if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭NikNak8

Redsock wrote: »
    Saw that on the BBC website, quite surprised. Hadn't heard him linked to the job, in fact I have never heard of him before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Surprised to see Whitten leave... The country in general is very tight on 12s, and he has bags of potential to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

A bit of a left-field appointment but I think that the he has a decent pedigree. A top name was never going to appointed after Shane Logan made it clear that any new coach would have to work within the current management structure, in other words have dhumph sticking his beak in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

.ak wrote: »
    Surprised to see Whitten leave... The country in general is very tight on 12s, and he has bags of potential to be honest.

Its grand sure D'arcy will be playing till 2015 and then Sexton can fill in while ROG is still playing 10; And if all that fails theres always Paddy Wallace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

hardly an earth shattering appointment. Auckland NPC and NZ U20's coach. Had expected a bigger appointment.

.ak wrote: »
    and yet he is probably 4th choice 12 at Ulster. Wallace, Spence, Marshal all ahead of him when fully fit. Injuries to Wallace, Spence, Marshall and Cave game him chances this season that mightn't come next season.

I think Ulster were trying to develop him into a McFadden style utility back this season playing a lot of games on the wing as well as in the center and maybe he doesn't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7579260,00.html

Mark Anscombe confirmed as new Ulster coach from next season

bamboozle wrote: »
    hardly an earth shattering appointment. Auckland NPC and NZ U20's coach. Had expected a bigger appointment.

Its a definite:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0308/1224313032345.html

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7579260,00.html

Mark Anscombe confirmed as new Ulster coach from next season

Damn your quick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's been confirmed on the IRFU website. To me he is ahead of both Matt Sexton and John Kirwan due to his club coaching history. His record is:

2010/11 NZ U20 Head Coach
    2009/10 NZ U20s Asst Coach
    2008 NZ U20s Development Coach
    2008- 2011 Auckland ITM Cup Head Coach
    2006-2008 Northland Air New Zealand Cup Head Coach
    2004/05 North Harbour NPC Asst Coach
    2002/03 Auckland Blues Development Team Head Coach
    2001-2003 Auckland Development Team Head Coach
    1999-2000 Auckland Colts Head Coach

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/25842.php

Unfortuneatly we've now one less Irish coach in the system. I'm not saying McLaughlin should be kept on more that I'd prefer to have more Irish coaches knocking about. Hopefully now Munster will appoint an Irish coach.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hopefully now Munster will appoint an Irish coach.

Would his first name start with D and his surname start with K by any chance; if so i hope so too :D

• Advertisement

There are Irish coaches around though. Bradley, McCall. Also there's always Ruddock who isn't Irish but is kindve IrishISH.

Anscombe is a good guy. Club experience was irrelevant but a history of working with youth was vital.

Ulster were slightly limited in the number of established coaches willing to apply for the job because they have Humph as the director of operations. This is a very good structure which will benefit them more in the long term than that in place at certain other Irish provinces.

Ulster finally have a structure now that will allow for the sort of success that should be expected of them. Logan and his boys should be congratulated on that.

Interesting to see what other moves they make...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anscombe is a good guy. Club experience was irrelevant but a history of working with youth was vital.

I'd disagree on club experience being irrelevant. One of the criticisms of McLaughlin was that he had little club coaching experience and that he was more of a youth/development coach. Which is were he's gone to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

That's what I'll be waiting on before forming an opinion. If he goes in there and keeps the same backroom staff, I'll be cynical. If he goes in there, takes a look at some games and stats and tells Bell to take a walk, I'll be far more optimistic. I think he could be a very good acquisition. There are highly successful coaches that didn't have big CVs when they took on a significant job like Jake White or Schmidt. Humph is nobody's fool and I can't see him bringing someone in that isn't going to move the team forward. Hopefully it's a shrewd move.

EDIT: Also, Bradley and McCall, as far as I'm aware, are contracted next season already. Bradley definitely is. Don't think McCall would be brought back and I'm not sure Bradley would be a success in Ireland. Too much water under the bridge and his final years at Connacht would be serious baggage for when dealing with players.

I'd disagree on club experience being irrelevant. One of the criticisms of McLaughlin was that he had little club coaching experience and that he was more of a youth/development coach. Which is were he's gone to now.
    That wasn't quite the problem with McL though...His problem was the fact he was a little out of depth with the level of coaching required and the actual man management side of head coaching didn't seem to suit him. He had (relatively unsuccessful) club experience before he ever joined Ulster I think. (One of the real norn ironers can confirm that, I might be wrong... Was it banbridge or Bangor or one of the Bs?) Both issues that could affect him in any sort of organisation.

The way Ulster have set things up now the head coach is able to be sourced on a purely rugby basis. Things that are unique to professional club coaching will be handled by the DO. This allows them to recruit from a much wider range of coaches than, say, Munster can. They can grab a national coach or a schools coach or a non-pro club coach, so long as they have the rugby credentials and not worry about business experience.

Or rather that's hopefully how it'll work. Ulster finally resemble some sort of self-sufficient professional organisation!

GerM wrote: »

That's what I'll be waiting on before forming an opinion. If he goes in there and keeps the same backroom staff, I'll be cynical. If he goes in there, takes a look at some games and stats and tells Bell to take a walk, I'll be far more optimistic. I think he could be a very good acquisition. There are highly successful coaches that didn't have big CVs when they took on a significant job like Jake White or Schmidt. Humph is nobody's fool and I can't see him bringing someone in that isn't going to move the team forward. Hopefully it's a shrewd move.

EDIT: Also, Bradley and McCall, as far as I'm aware, are contracted next season already. Bradley definitely is. Don't think McCall would be brought back and I'm not sure Bradley would be a success in Ireland. Too much water under the bridge and his final years at Connacht would be serious baggage for when dealing with players.
    Dunno if its quite that simple to just point at someone and say get out. They had trouble shifting BMcL without giving him the first permanent coaching contract in sports history.

However I hear they are lining up a job for Mr. Terblanche which sound alarmingly similar to Johnny Bell's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Mclaughlin previously had coaching roles at Inst & Malone, don't think he was at banbridge or bangor, maybe i'm wrong.

I am pie wrote: »
    Mclaughlin previously had coaching roles at Inst & Malone, don't think he was at banbridge or bangor, maybe i'm wrong.
    I was thinking of Malone!

You know, B, M, that whole connection?

That wasn't quite the problem with McL though...His problem was the fact he was a little out of depth with the level of coaching required and the actual man management side of head coaching didn't seem to suit him. He had (relatively unsuccessful) club experience before he ever joined Ulster I think. (One of the real norn ironers can confirm that, I might be wrong... Was it banbridge or Bangor or one of the Bs?) Both issues that could affect him in any sort of organisation.

I can't really comment in the man management side of things as I've no idea what he's like. Would more exposure to club coaching not have improved this as well as his level of coaching needed for the Ulster job?

I can't really comment in the man management side of things as I've no idea what he's like. Would more exposure to club coaching not have improved this as well as his level of coaching needed for the Ulster job?
    I havent a clue to be honest. Its all rumour anyway, Im just more confident in it because its from a good source, but it could be that the closer you get the wilder the rumours are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Well 'a' was definitely the 2nd letter !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

He was coach of that Ballinahinch Team that won everything 3 or 4 years ago and probably why he got the job for ulster in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

jm08 wrote: »
    He was coach of that Ballinahinch Team that won everything 3 or 4 years ago and probably why he got the job for ulster in the first place.
    He wasn't. He 'assisted' while teaching at RBAI.

jacothelad wrote: »
    He wasn't. He 'assisted' while teaching at RBAI.

Ulster bragged big time about his ballinahinch cv when appointing him to be Ulster coach.

How have 'hinch being doing since he left?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster bragged big time about his ballinahinch cv when appointing him to be Ulster coach.

How have 'hinch being doing since he left?

Total nonsense. Ulster actually informed Richard Hill that he had been awarded the job before McLaughlin. If you don't know, best to say nothing rather than invent garbage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17302017?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

jacothelad wrote: »
    Total nonsense. Ulster actually informed Richard Hill that he had been awarded the job before McLaughlin. If you don't know, best to say nothing rather than invent garbage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17302017?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Only name I ever heard associated with that hinch win was brian Mclaughlin.

this is what Ulster rugby say on its website about it:
    Having had previous spells coaching Malone and Instonians, Brian returned to coaching club rugby with Ballynahinch at the start of the 08/09 season and helped guide the Co. Down club to a historic season culminating in winning promotion to AIB Division 1.

The main attribute that Anscombe has is that he has something to prove having being dumped by Auckland & the baby blacks.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/6000005/Anscombe-fed-excuses-before-his-ditching

• Advertisement

Anscombe has also "helped" with 4 junior world cup wins. Some of those he was actually a head coach for. Of course that counts as an accomplishment for Declan Kidney but maybe you won't count it for Anscombe.

Anscombe has also "helped" with 4 junior world cup wins. Some of those he was actually a head coach for. Of course that counts as an accomplishment for Declan Kidney but maybe you won't count it for Anscombe.

My dog could coach the baby blacks to a world cup win.

don't know what kidney has to do with this thread :rolleyes: .

My dog could coach the baby blacks to a world cup win.

don't know what kidney has to do with this thread :rolleyes: .
    A lot of Kidney fans brag about his winning the U19 WC in 1998

A lot of Kidney fans brag about his winning the U19 WC in 1998

to be fair, its a significant thing to have on your cv when you think that ireland have only won it once and when you think only 3 of that squad made it as pro rugby players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

What's the matter, JM? Not enough bites on LF these days so turning your attention north? :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement