Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Grand so, Anscombe is crap. Only thing he has going for him is his chip on his shoulder, not his 4 junior world cup wins.

Ryan, Sexton, O'Sullivan, Kirwan and more all overlooked for him so he must have interviewed extremely well for a man with no ability.

Or maybe we might wait and give him a chance before deciding how suited he is to the role (he very well may be crap, who knows).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Grand so, Anscombe is crap. Only thing he has going for him is his chip on his shoulder, not his 4 junior world cup wins.

Ryan, Sexton, O'Sullivan, Kirwan and more all overlooked for him so he must have interviewed extremely well for a man with no ability.

Or maybe we might wait and give him a chance before deciding how suited he is to the role (he very well may be crap, who knows).

getting dumped by the baby blacks wouldn't be an issue really, but they hardly mention that in the link to the article I posted. you should readthe full article. being dumped by the baby lacks is a small thing compared to:
    Ultimately, the decision-making panel of Glenn Wahlstrom, Gary Whetton, Ant Strachan, current player Benson Stanley and Dalton weren't satisfied with results of fifth, third and fifth during Anscombe's [auckland] reign

I've made the point that he has a lot to prove, so maybe he will do well.

The thing to remember is the job he's taking up at Ulster is quite different to his Auckland job.

The thing is that he was preferred to the Canterbury coaches. So evidently success in the NPC has been overlooked somewhat (haven't they done well?). I'm not even sure how well Auckland were expected to do last year.

I'm mostly excited by the prospect of another Irish team to dominate in Europe so I can continue to make fun of the English!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

As always, it's a gamble when you bring in new personnel. Look how ineffective Lofreda was at Leicester. All I know is, from watching Ulster since the 1950s, apart from the team that had guys like McBride, Millar, Gibson, McKinney, Milliken, Roger Young etc, this is the best squad. Certainly stronger than the 99 side that won the Heineken. I just don't think McLaughlin has what it takes to get the best out of them. He wasn't even first choice when he was appointed.

As always, only time will tell.

I wonder is he on an Ulster contract, a paper contract or an electronic one. :D:D:D:D:D.

Anyway, the bride and I are off on our early spring holiday. taxi is at the door. Enjoy the game. Toodle Pip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

McLaughlin took Instonians from AIL 1 to AIL 3 in two seasons!

Then he coached Malone and as Jaco says was involved with the 'Hinch that won the AIL Cup and AIL 2 a few years ago.

His record for Ulster has been far better than anything he achieved at club level it has to be said.

However his real success has been as coach of RBAI, I think he won 5 Ulster Schools Cups with them in 10 years and been to several other finals and he has also coached Ireland at Schools level and possibly at U21 level although I wouldn't swwear on that one.

It's clear his real success is with kids and that's why he is an outstanding appointment for the Academy. He was also skills coach to the senior Ireland squad in the years leading up to the 2007 WC.

Personally I think he was a tad unlucky not to get another contract as Head Coach of Ulster but I've faith in Humphreys and Logan who haven't made any mistakes yet in terms of recruitment so hopefully Anscombe will be a good appointment. Again Anscombe has had success at age group level with the Baby Blacks, in saying that I don't think the NZ U20s have ever failed to win the JWC in the last 5 or 6 years since it became an U20 tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Connacht V Ulster Weekend of 13/14/15 April. Anybody know when date/time will be fixed? Weekend only on Pro12, Connacht/Ulster sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Don't know where else to put this.

Methodist College are leading Ballyclare High School 12 - 0 in the Ulster Schools Cup Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Good to see Muller and Cave back in the squad for the Treviso game on Saturday...and with the Irish contigent of Best, Trimble and Ferris back against Aironi the following week....things aren't looking too bad.

Wonder what the latest is on Payne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Wonder what the latest is on Payne
    This is the most recent thing I can find

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/payne-showing-early-signs-of-recovery-541407.html

• Advertisement

Since then there was an interview on BBC Ulster during a game and he said pretty much the same thing. Seemed like he was training in some capacity, but I haven't seen Ulster mention it so I'd guess he's still a fair way off.

Tough game for Ulster this weekend away to Treviso.

We're still without Best, Trimble and Ferris, I don't know if Treviso will have their international players or not.

I expect McLaughlin will want to get the team out that is going to play Munster asap, obviously minus the three above. The questions then are what will the half back pairing be?

Marshall/Pienaar or Pienaar/Humphreys

And will Muller and Cave start the game after being out for a few weeks?

I think both Cave and Muller are pretty much fully fit now so I wouldn't be surprised to see them straight into the team.

The half back pairing is a big call. Marshall is really putting pressure on Humphreys. Great to see.

I'd like to see

McAllister, Kyriacou, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Henry, Falloon, Wannenberg, Marshall, Pienaar, Terblanche, Wallace, Cave, Gilroy, D'Arcy

I think both Cave and Muller are pretty much fully fit now so I wouldn't be surprised to see them straight into the team.

The half back pairing is a big call. Marshall is really putting pressure on Humphreys. Great to see.

I'd like to see

McAllister, Kyriacou, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Henry, Falloon, Wannenberg, Marshall, Pienaar, Terblanche, Wallace, Cave, Gilroy, D'Arcy

I think Court needs to get back on the pitch as soon as possible to get last weekend out of the system so I'd start him but look to give McAlistair a good 30 minute run.

I can't make my mind up about the half backs. I want Marshall in the team but the thing is Pienaar is more effective for us at 9. As well as Marshall has been playing he is isn't the same hemisphere as Pienaar. If only he were Irish!

bilston wrote: »

I'd like to see

I think Court needs to get back on the pitch as soon as possible to get last weekend out of the system so I'd start him but look to give McAlistair a good 30 minute run.

I can't make my mind up about the half backs. I want Marshall in the team but the thing is Pienaar is more effective for us at 9. As well as Marshall has been playing he is isn't the same hemisphere as Pienaar. If only he were Irish!
    Never considered Court as available after playing most of the game last weekend. If he is I hope he starts.

I'm not sure about the halfbacks either. Although maybe if Pienaar has an extended run at 10 with Marshall inside they might both grow into the partnership. I think McL needs to make his mind up ASAP on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

I'd like to see

If only you could clone pienaar and play him at 9 and 10. A quality operator in both positions, one of the best niq's to play the game on this island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Many Ulster fans headin over? I will probably take the trip up, since it's on a Saturday. I live about 3 hours away by train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'd say only the hardiest of travelling fans will head off to this one. Most will be keeping their powder dry and saving their euro's for Thomond !

Any time i've seen an italian rabo away fixture on BBC they are farely sparcely attended by away Ulster fans. It's a shame, but it's a costly enough trip away into the unknown for most !

What's the area around the ground like? Not even sure where it is tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I am pie wrote: »
    I'd say only the hardiest of travelling fans will head off to this one. Most will be keeping their powder dry and saving their euro's for Thomond !

Any time i've seen an italian rabo away fixture on BBC they are farely sparcely attended by away Ulster fans. It's a shame, but it's a costly enough trip away into the unknown for most !

What's the area around the ground like? Not even sure where it is tbh.

Treviso is in the North East; if you imagine the armpit of Italy as it flowers out at the top, it's pretty much there. The most obvious nearby attraction would be Venice, while you're also pretty close (by Italian standards, i.e., within 200km) of Milan, Bologna and the Adriatic coast. So plenty of options which can be tied into your trip.

As for the immediate area around the stadium in Treviso itself, I have never been. Will report back on Monday and let you know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wannenberg is moving on nest season, makes sense with Wilson coming in. Wilson won't be in the Irish squad mix so no point in having the two of them.

Pedrie Wannenburg To Leave Ulster Rugby

Ulster Rugby today confirmed that back-row forward Pedrie Wannenburg will leave the club at the end of this season.

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/13590.php

Alternatively Kaino is to indicate tomorrow where he will be going next season :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

i suppose with wilson coming back someone was gonna lose out.with the new rules coming in was more than likely gonna be him has been a class player for ulster tho

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Wannenberg is moving on nest season, makes sense with Wilson coming in. Wilson won't be in the Irish squad mix so no point in having the two of them.

Pedrie Wannenburg To Leave Ulster Rugby

Ulster Rugby today confirmed that back-row forward Pedrie Wannenburg will leave the club at the end of this season.

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/13590.php

Alternatively Kaino is to indicate tomorrow where he will be going next season :P
    In terms of NIQs for next season Ulster have
    Afoa, Muller, Pienaar, and Payne contracted. If I'm right they are allowed one more NIQ signing.

I'm not really sure what Ulster should go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The Kaino innuendos are killing me ! ...but i can't believe it's him.

Maybe a 10? Anyone out there?

Farewell Pedrie ! ...much appreciated by the Ravenhill faithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Kaino's going to Japan anyway.

Although really, he should have come to Ulster instead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

• Advertisement

After what happened before it would be remarkable for Rush to go to Ulster.

If Ulster wanted an old NIQ number 8 they wouldve kept Wannenberg (who wanted to stay).

please tell me it isn't actually saying this but rather talking about how rush was supposed to come to Ulster but pulled out (paying a wedge in compensation) and Ulster got Wannenberg insead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rush hasn't been mapped for the last few seasons, it would be a seriously retrograde step to sign him. I can't see it happening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yup kaino to japan anyway.

Ulster's Additions to the HEC squad are interesting.

ULSTER RUGBY

Player - Chris COCHRANE

Date of Birth: 18/12/1988
    Position: Wing
    Height: 1.85m / 6'1"
    Weight: 83kg / 13st 1lb

Player - Iain HENDERSON

Date of Birth: 11/03/1991
    Position: No 8
    Height: 1.95m / 6'5"
    Weight: 112kg / 17st 8lbs

Delighted to see Henderson's superb form for the U20s rewarded (any flailing elbows aside).

Unlikely that we'll see him involved in Thomond, but it just goes to show that Ulster have no problem getting the younger guys up to speed. Cochrane not exactly an oulfella either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ULSTER RUGBY

Player - Chris COCHRANE

Player - Iain HENDERSON

Delighted to see Henderson's superb form for the U20s rewarded (any flailing elbows aside).

Unlikely that we'll see him involved in Thomond, but it just goes to show that Ulster have no problem getting the younger guys up to speed. Cochrane not exactly an oulfella either!

agreed, Henderson's going to be a serious player for Ulster, a season or two learning from Muller then step into his shoes

ULSTER RUGBY

Player - Chris COCHRANE

Player - Iain HENDERSON

Interesting it says Henderson is a No.8, that's supposedly where he played at school and there is talk that he will probably make his Ulster debut in the back row before the end of the season. I've never seen him play in the back row so can't comment on his abilities there but I think I prefer the idea of him as a second row!

Good to see Cochrane get a HEC sxquad place, again he'll only be involved if there are injuries but he's had a rough time over the last few years with injuries of his own. Two tries in two games this season for Ulster isn't a bad start for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Interesting it says Henderson is a No.8, that's supposedly where he played at school and there is talk that he will probably make his Ulster debut in the back row before the end of the season. I've never seen him play in the back row so can't comment on his abilities there but I think I prefer the idea of him as a second row!

Good to see Cochrane get a HEC sxquad place, again he'll only be involved if there are injuries but he's had a rough time over the last few years with injuries of his own. Two tries in two games this season for Ulster isn't a bad start for him though.

Henderson is a guy of real potential. No ifs or buts. He's big, fast, fearless, skillful and mean. A bit like POC was at his age.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Henderson is a guy of real potential. No ifs or buts. He's big, fast, fearless, skillful and mean. A bit like POC was at his age.

thought he was standout player in the U20s this season.

What's really impressive is he is actually a very decent ball carrier given his size. He pumps the legs in the tackle like Ferris and SOB and makes the extra half yard every time by doing so.

Lets hope we see more of him in the coming seasons alright. He's in good hands up there.

Ulster team is out. Court starts, best to get back on the horse as they say. I think he's the only Irish player from last weeks 22 to be involved, let alone start, this weekend.

Marshall is on the bench with Humphries and Pienaar starting. Good to see Cave back too.

If Leinster beat the Ospreys and Ulster win then Ulster will go into the top 4. I'm not accounting for bonus points.

Ulster Match Day Squad to face Treviso, Saturday 24th March 2012, Stadio Monigo (kick-off 3.15pm GMT)
    (15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, D Cave, P Wallace, S Terblanche; I Humphreys, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, A Kyriacou, J Afoa, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, C Henry, W Faloon, R Diack;

Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, L Stevenson, N McComb, P Marshall, I Whitten, N Spence

Unavailable due to injury: J Payne (achilles), D Fitzpatrick (neck), S Danielli (hamstring), Mike McComish (concussion), P Wannenburg (illness)

Unavailable due to player management: Rory Best, Andrew Trimble, Stephen Ferris

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ulster team is out. Court starts, best to get back on the horse as they say. I think he's the only Irish player from last weeks 22 to be involved, let alone start, this weekend.

McFadden as well (though you'd be forgiven for not realising he was in the 22 last week).

Good to see Cave starting again.

Pretty much the expected team (almost guessed it right!). Surprised/happy to see Court is playing. Interesting to see this halfback pairing, a lot of healthy competition there.

Hopefully Wannenberg will get back fitness quickly.

Ulster should win this.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    McFadden as well (though you'd be forgiven for not realising he was in the 22 last week).

Good to see Cave starting again.

Actually McCarthy for Connacht, TOL for Munster, and Cronin for Leinster are also involved in their 23's for this weekends games.

Did anyone see Ulster today? It wasn't televised except by Rai in Italy although bbc online showed it.

Ulster won 27-23 after trailing 23-13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Very good away win in Treviso for Ulster...apparently two late tries.
    Henry, Wallace and Whitten with the tries, Pienaar with the 3 conversions and 2 penalties!
    Missed it all due to the BBC, their red button and matters out of their control!
    Hopefully we can get a bonus point next week against Aironi.

• Advertisement

Paul4As wrote: »
    Henry, Wallace and Whitten with the tries, Pienaar with the 3 conversions and 2 penalties!
    According to RDPro12 Darcy scored instead of Whitten

Couldn't watch it because the BBC had technical difficulties but it turns out we won 27-23. No matter how we achieved it that's a very good win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

According to RDPro12 Darcy scored instead of Whitten

Yep last minute try by D'arcy sealed the victory, I assume it didnt have to go to the TMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster had to win today after Ospreys won at Leinster. Good on them.

A Munster loss could make things very interesting when the two face each other in the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Turns out it was Whitten who scored the try

Hagz wrote: »
    Turns out it was Whitten who scored the try

Your right, ulsterrugby site said it was D'arcy an hr ago, they've changed it to whitten.

The beeb, pro 12 website and ulsterrugby all had it down as D'arcy. Sky sports was the first place I got the result and they'd it down as whitten, but I wasnt going to take their word for it as acording to them Chris Henley scored Ulsters opening try.

D'Arcy tweeted that it was Whitten who'd scored it.

Really important to salvage that win. They'll be big big points at the end of the season.

Highlights from Treviso game

http://youtu.be/ItB74mia8zY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

I really think Ulster will beat Munster comprehensively in the QF. I just think we're a stronger team in nearly every area of the pitch. Our front row is better, our second row is ahead with POC and Ryan injured, out backrow is much better, Pienaar is streets ahead of Murray and Wallace is playing better than O'Gara. I think Cave is a better 13 than Earls as well. Munster edge probably edge it in the back 3 though. I know it's in Thomond but this is a poor Munster team compared to previous years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement