Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Afoa cited...hearing to take place this Thursday, on the 12th. It's confirmed on the ERC site.

Any danger he is going to miss the semi? Gulp...

Possibly in danger of a 3 week ban for a 'mid level' offense. It didn't look great on the replay i have to say.

Damn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the ERC site:

Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and either dropping or driving that player's head and/or upper body into the ground whilst the player's feet are off the ground.

Under the IRB Recommended Sanctions for Offences Committed within the Playing Enclosure, Law 10.4 (j) carries the following penalties: Low End: 3 weeks; Mid Range: 6 weeks; Top End: 10+ to 52 weeks.

If the low end is three weeks and the mid range is 6 weeks I'd be surprised if he makes the Semi. The Semi is three weeks from the offending game and the final is 6 weeks so he could be a doubt for that.

The only thing in his favour is that Jones was jumping up to get the ball he knocked on so it could be argued that Afoa didn't lift him. He did turn him in the air and drop him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If its 3 weeks you'll get the customary good behaviour deduction + the odd situation of Jones jumping to get to the dropped ball etc. He should be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hopefully 3 weeks with 1 off for a good discipinary record. It didn't strike me as being malicious not that that really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Afoa to miss the semi-final
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7667435,00.html

I presume he can appeal or something

EDIT: Beat everybody by a minute, yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Hagz wrote: »
    Afoa to miss the semi-final
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7667435,00.html

I presume he can appeal or something

Massive blow for Ulster, im sure they will be appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I suppose the big question now is Fitzpatrick, or Macklin for the semi. Is Fitzpatrick up for a knockout game, he was injured in November and has been missing in squads until recently. He hasn't played since. That said Macklin hasn't started a game yet.

The options are:

1) McAlistair/Court
    2) Black/Court
    3) Court/Fitzpatrick
    4) Court/Macklin

I think we have to remember Ulster are playing Edinburgh and not England so playing Court at TH is a genuine option.

Fitzpatrick is just back from injury and hasn't any game time for Ulster since his return, Macklin has had some sub appearances and done well when his chance has come. Hmmmm it could be a big chance for one of them but I'd be tempted to go for McAlistair and Court and put both Fitzpatrick and Macklin on the bench just in case...

I suppose the big question now is Fitzpatrick, or Macklin for the semi. Is Fitzpatrick up for a knockout game, he was injured in November and has been missing in squads until recently. He hasn't played since. That said Macklin hasn't started a game yet.

Bah. Feckin gah !

From the quotes in the article i don't think an appeal is likely. Immeasurable loss in the loose and in the scrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

depending on how well macklin plays at connacht he could start...he will be playing for his heineken cup place this weekend....if he starts that is but i assume he will

leonard7 wrote: »
    depending on how well macklin plays at connacht he could start...he will be playing for his heineken cup place this weekend....if he starts that is but i assume he will

Court to switch over and macallister to start is more likely I feel. However....you never know what mclaughlin will do !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

i'd have to agree with that but this connacht game just became a lot lot more interesting for macklin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Heinrich Brussow to Ulster?

Its the latest rumour on UAFC.

Probably a load of rubbish but there is a lot of Saffer influence at Ulster now. Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jesus Ferris and Brussow in the same team...christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clegg wrote: »
    Heinrich Brussow to Ulster?

Its the latest rumour on UAFC.

Probably a load of rubbish but there is a lot of Saffer influence at Ulster now. Stranger things have happened.

Surely not; with Henry in great form, Ferris being Ferris and Wilson coming home, I'd imagine the money for Brussow would be better spent elsewhere, e.g. a utility back.

• Advertisement

Surely not; with Henry in great form, Ferris being Ferris and Wilson coming home, I'd imagine the money for Brussow would be better spent elsewhere, e.g. a utility back.

Payne will be back next season and Bowe is coming, I don't see the need for a utility back.

A backrow signing is possible, Wilson could be seen as a direct replacement for Faloon (IQ for IQ) in the squad, I know it's not like for like in terms of position though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Brussow thing sounds very far fetched. I think Ulster are pretty well stocked for backs. A utility backrow is a higher priority imo. Wannenberg and Falloon are leaving and Robbie Diack isn't good enough.

Clegg wrote: »
    The Brussow thing sounds very far fetched. I think Ulster are pretty well stocked for backs. A utility backrow is a higher priority imo. Wannenberg and Falloon are leaving and Robbie Diack isn't good enough.

We are short of a genuine 10 to push ihumph tho...the number of times we've seen Marshall come on and pienaar go to 10 seems to suggest that Jackson hasn't pushed himself into the thoughts of the management firmly enough.

Put it this way, was anyone thinking last week when Humph was having a few wobbles with the boot "I wish Paddy Jackson was out there?" Nope. Anyone thinking about a change was thinking about moving our 9 to 10 and bringing on the reserve S/H. Still think we need a 10.....not sure who tho ! They're aren't growing on trees out there :)

I am pie wrote: »
    We are short of a genuine 10 to push ihumph tho...the number of times we've seen Marshall come on and pienaar go to 10 seems to suggest that Jackson hasn't pushed himself into the thoughts of the management firmly enough.

Put it this way, was anyone thinking last week when Humph was having a few wobbles with the boot "I wish Paddy Jackson was out there?" Nope. Anyone thinking about a change was thinking about moving our 9 to 10 and bringing on the reserve S/H. Still think we need a 10.....not sure who tho ! They're aren't growing on trees out there :)

You hint at it yourself but there are very few 10s out there. Ideally we'd bring in a world class 10 to help nuture Jackson through (or Olding or McKinney if he doesn't leave) but he'd have to be very very good to do that and apart from DC (which is never going to happen) can you think of any world class 10s out there that we could sign? There's also the problem that the IRFU probably wouldn't allow it as we'd have two NIQ half backs plus they possibly see Jackson as the most likely candidate to challenge Sexton down the line so won't want his progress stunted. The other thing is our current NIQ half back can play out half anyway.

I think if you put Jackson in alongside Pienaar and Wallace he will prove his worth but there haven't been any opportunities to do that in the last couple of months and before that he was either injured or captaining the Irish U20s.

As for the Brussow story it was someone taking Michael! But we do need a back row. I'd love Brussow, but actually I'd happily take a young Irish back row like Dom Ryan. He currently has McLaughlin, Ruddock, O'Brien, Jennings and Heaslip ahead of him at Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

12 changes to the Connacht side, Terblanche, Court and Humph are the only starters who started at the weekend.

Ulster Match Day Squad to face Connacht, Saturday 14th April 2012, Sportsground (kick-off 5.15pm)

(15-9): S Terblanche; I Whitten, N Spence, P Jackson, A D'Arcy; I Humphreys, P Marshall;

(1-8): P McAllister,N Brady (capt), T Court, L Stevenson, N McComb, M McComish, W Faloon, R Diack;
    Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, C Black, A Macklin, I Henderson, A Birch, R Pienaar, C Gilroy, M Allen

Unavailable due to injury:
    Jared Payne (achilles tendon), Simon Danielli (hamstring), Tim Barker (back), Chris Cochrane (foot)

• Advertisement

Jackson at 12?!

Fitzpatrick defnitely not in the running for the semi then...if he had an outside chance he would have started here.

Jackson at 12?!

He's played there loads of times at various levels, in fact he came off the bench and played there against Aironi in the HEC just before Christmas, scored a very good try as well.

Of more significance in the short term is the prop situation and firstly I think I Am Pie is right this means Deccie Fitz isn't in contention. In fact I'd go further and say it's nailed on now that it will be Paddy Mac at LH and TC at TH as I would have thought the plan would have been to rest Court this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

12 changes to the Connacht side, Terblanche, Court and Humph are the only starters who started at the weekend.

Ulster Match Day Squad to face Connacht, Saturday 14th April 2012, Sportsground (kick-off 5.15pm)

(15-9): S Terblanche; I Whitten, N Spence, P Jackson, A D'Arcy; I Humphreys, P Marshall;

(1-8): P McAllister,N Brady (capt), T Court, L Stevenson, N McComb, M McComish, W Faloon, R Diack;
    Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, C Black, A Macklin, I Henderson, A Birch, R Pienaar, C Gilroy, M Allen

Unavailable due to injury:
    Jared Payne (achilles tendon), Simon Danielli (hamstring), Tim Barker (back), Chris Cochrane (foot)

It is selections like this that support those who are content with McLaughlin being promoted sideways. Some of this is just nuts to be honest. Why not Luke Marshall at 12 and Jackson at 10? Why not have a winger like Gaston on instead of D'Arcy and have him at full back where he belongs? You can see how shallow the reserves and the thought processes are when you see selections like this. Mental. Giving up on the league.

jacothelad wrote: »
    It is selections like this that support those who are content with McLaughlin being promoted sideways. Some of this is just nuts to be honest. Why not Luke Marshall at 12 and Jackson at 10? Why not have a winger like Gaston on instead of D'Arcy and have him at full back where he belongs? You can see how shallow the reserves and the thought processes are when you see selections like this. Mental. Giving up on the league.

Jaco do you really think we have the squad to compete on both fronts? I'm all for giving the league our best shot but realistically we've more chance of winning the HEC than Pro 12. I think McLaughlin is picking his battles...and in fairness given the season we've had his selections haven't been too bad.

The Marshall thing is interesting. There's no issue with Jackson playing 12, as I said above he has done it before, but it does make you wonder what the future is for Luke Marshall...maybe he's injured...again...

jacothelad wrote: »
    Why not give Darcy some time at 11. He gets the 23 shirt for most big games which is ok but imo he needs to be able to cover more than 15 if he wears 23 so must get gametime on the wing occasionally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Matt Sexton who was supposedly one of the guys in the running to replace McLaughlin has been appointed head coach of The Southern Kings, they're the new SA team that will be entering the Super 15 next year.

It's in the last paragraph of the below link.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/6747874/Top-coach-Rob-Penney-in-line-for-Munster-job

The really frustrating thing about the Marshall injury is it gives Kidney an excuse to ignore him again.

Dunno what Ulster will do for depth now. Ian Porter?

The really frustrating thing about the Marshall injury is it gives Kidney an excuse to ignore him again.

It will have to be Porter and he will need to get 20 mins at least against Leinster this weekend. Porter isn't a bad player at all, he's just unlucky to be behind Pienaar and Marshall.

The real problem for me is that this now means Pienaar can't really be regarded as a back up 10 as I don't think he will be moved to 10 on a tactical basis as it would mean throwing in a very inexperienced 9. Conversely it should mean that Jackson will get on the bench for the semi final.

What hasn't really be mentioned since Saturday is that Humphreys went off with a bit of a niggle against Connacht after being taken out very late. Will he be fit for the semi final, I assume he will as he managed to play on for 20 odd minutes.

How long is Marshall out for?

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How long is Marshall out for?
    Seems a pretty bad shoulder injury but I haven't heard anything official

Seems a pretty bad shoulder injury but I haven't heard anything official

It looked more like his wrist or arm to me on the TV, but if it's a break his domestic season will be over, but depending on the nature of it I suppose he could in theory be fit for June but he won't tour if he isn't involved for the rest of the season.

Ah bollocks, that's a blow for Ulster.

bilston wrote: »
    It looked more like his wrist or arm to me on the TV, but if it's a break his domestic season will be over, but depending on the nature of it I suppose he could in theory be fit for June but he won't tour if he isn't involved for the rest of the season.

The paper says his elbow. Absolute shame for the lad. Should be in the Irish 22 based on this season.

Terrible misfortune. Missing a Semi and / or a final. Poor fecker. It also deprives the team of a second strategy with him at 9 and Pienaar at 10. Humphreys' game has totally collapsed on the evidence of the last few games.

No bones broken apparently. Elbow damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Have to say if I were ulster I would focus 100% on the cup.

1. The best they could expect is an away semi in the RDS.
    2. Relatively shallow squad
    3. It will be a long time before an opportunity as good as this arises to win the HEC.

I'd let the league go to blazes, to be frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Matt Sexton who was supposedly one of the guys in the running to replace McLaughlin has been appointed head coach of The Southern Kings, they're the new SA team that will be entering the Super 15 next year.

It's in the last paragraph of the below link.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/6747874/Top-coach-Rob-Penney-in-line-for-Munster-job

That'll be an embarassing start to his head coach career. The Kings have a average losing margin to the other SA super teams of 72 points. Word is they're hopeful of getting that down to 57 by the 2013 season!

That'll be an embarassing start to his head coach career. The Kings have a average losing margin to the other SA super teams of 72 points. Word is they're hopeful of getting that down to 57 by the 2013 season!
    They'll be able to lure a much higher quality of player when they have superrugby though. I'm pretty sure Clint Newland started their last few games and thats an indication of the level of talent they have at the moment.

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »

3. It will be a long time before an opportunity as good as this arises to win the HEC.

Quite...we can get some use out of the last two games now in terms of squad development, although I'd expect we'll go pretty close to full strength for the first 50 mins against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Fitzpatrick defnitely not in the running for the semi then...if he had an outside chance he would have started here.

That's what I figured too. Is he injured or just lacking match fitness or something? He's not listed as unavailable due to injury.

durkadurka wrote: »

I'd disagree on this and wasn't too happy with the team Ulster put out for Connacht on Saturday. As they still have to play Munster finishing in third spot is still a realistic goal, or was before the Connacht game. Beating Connacht, Munster, and picking up points against Leinster I think could have got them third on 64/65 points. While finishing fourth and getting a play off game away to Leinster would be tricky game doesn't mean you shouldn't bother trying.

Before the HEC QF Ulster were talking about getting respect and wanting to be seen as big team, or something along those lines anyway. Losing away to Connacht when a win would have done so much for their play off hopes is not what a big team does or would be happy with. The team that was put out was not expected to win.

I don't see why they couldn't have had Best, Tuohy, Henry, Wallace, and Trimble on the bench. Certainly bringing them on with 20 mins to go would have put Ulster in a good position of strength.

From Ulster rugby:

An ultrasound scan has revealed that Ulster scrum-half Paul Marshall has sustained some tendon damage to his right elbow.

Paul was injured in the act of scoring a try for Ulster during last Saturday's PRO12 match against Connacht at The Sportsground in Galway.
    It is hoped that Paul could be available for Ulster's Heineken Cup semi-final against Edinburgh on 28th April however at this stage it's a case of 'wait and see', with treatment and re-assessment ongoing.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10404.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

From Ulster rugby:

An ultrasound scan has revealed that Ulster scrum-half Paul Marshall has sustained some tendon damage to his right elbow.

Paul was injured in the act of scoring a try for Ulster during last Saturday's PRO12 match against Connacht at The Sportsground in Galway.
    It is hoped that Paul could be available for Ulster's Heineken Cup semi-final against Edinburgh on 28th April however at this stage it's a case of 'wait and see', with treatment and re-assessment ongoing.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10404.php

Without wanting to jinx anything, I think it'll be the final he'll want to be fit for, not the semi...

Raisins wrote: »
    That's what I figured too. Is he injured or just lacking match fitness or something? He's not listed as unavailable due to injury.

I assume it's a lack of match fitness. Hasn't featured in a 1st XV game for Ulster since Nov i think ? Had been injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was chatting to a few Ulster fans at the match on Saturday (sound bunch of lads). They all reckoned while Marshall is an exciting prospect, that this clamour for him to be in the Irish squad is a bit premature, and he's got a bit more deveoping to do yet. Pretty unanimous agreement that he's behind Reddan, Boss and Murray. I was surprised, usually fans are pushing for their own provincial players to be recognised, but not in this case.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was chatting to a few Ulster fans at the match on Saturday (sound bunch of lads). They all reckoned while Marshall is an exciting prospect, that this clamour for him to be in the Irish squad is a bit premature, and he's got a bit more deveoping to do yet. Pretty unanimous agreement that he's behind Reddan, Boss and Murray. I was surprised, usually fans are pushing for their own provincial players to be recognised, but not in this case.

I'd agree with them but I would have preferred him to be on the bench against England ahead of TOL.

He will be 27 this summer, physically he doesn't have too much more developing to do?

I do think he is behind Boss & Reddan but would struggle to put Murray ahead of him or either of the other 2 this season. Boss moving on to Leinster was the best thing that happened to him in terms of his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd agree with them but I would have preferred him to be on the bench against England ahead of TOL.

You're not wrong there!
    He will be 27 this summer, physically he doesn't have too much more developing to do?

I do think he is behind Boss & Reddan but would struggle to put Murray ahead of him or either of the other 2 this season. Boss moving on to Leinster was the best thing that happened to him in terms of his development.

I wasn't aware he was 26, and I would agree with you, I was surprised at the Ulster fans' opinion myself. They were more talking about game development than physical I think.

You're not wrong there!

I wasn't aware he was 26, and I would agree with you, I was surprised at the Ulster fans' opinion myself. They were more talking about game development than physical I think.

Yeah, I don't expect to see him figure for Ireland regularly. I'd expect to see Reddan starting and Paul to be fighting it with Boss in terms of form. I don't his kicking game is there. He would be a fantastic impact player tho, last 20 minutes of a game against a tiring side his pace and willingness to break is a really useful trait.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement