Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ye's got Poite, we get Barnes. No fair. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

.ak wrote: »
    Ye's got Poite, we get Barnes. No fair. :(

Poite is ithe deal ref for Ulster and their breakdown tactics. Will Edinburgh be in their red jersey? Poite deosn't seem to like the colour red :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There is a group of Ulster fans who always disliked Marshall. A lot of that is warranted, but I do think they can be a little harsh on him.

I would have him as number 3 myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Heading up to the game in Ravenhill on Friday evening..

I see from the Ulster Rugby website that there are park and ride facilities from Pirrie Park and Montgomery Road.
    Any one of the 2 better than the other, where are the park and ride facilities at these 2 places??

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ongarite wrote: »
    Heading up to the game in Ravenhill on Friday evening..

I see from the Ulster Rugby website that there are park and ride facilities from Pirrie Park and Montgomery Road.
    Any one of the 2 better than the other, where are the park and ride facilities at these 2 places??

Cheers

Pirrie Park is the Rugby and Sports ground of Methodist College and site of Downey House, one of the schools two Prep' Schools. It is only a short walk from Ravenhill. It's easily accessed off the Ravenhill Road. if you look on Google maps you'll see how close they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There is a group of Ulster fans who always disliked Marshall. A lot of that is warranted, but I do think they can be a little harsh on him.

I would have him as number 3 myself.

Marshall is the perfect bench player. He mightn't like it but he's made for the role. If he has a future with Ireland that's where it will be, if you're chasing a game or a couple of tries for the bonus point he's a great option to spring off the pine.

I'm surprised to hear some Ulster fans knocking him as he's very popular up here. I suppose like anything it depends who you talk to but generally speaking most Ulster fans think he should be in the Irish squad but are realistic that he is behind at least Reddan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Ulster squad: Forwards: Callum Black, Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, Paddy McAllister, Andi Kyriacou, Nigel Brady, Rory Best, Lewis Stevenson, Johann Muller (captain), Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Neil McComb, Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg, Ali Birch, Mike McComish, Chris Henry, Robbie Diack

Backs: Blane McIlroy, Ruan Pienaar, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Ian Whitten, Darren Cave, Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence, Michael Allen, Stefan Terblanche, Craig Gilroy, Conor Gaston, Andrew Trimble, Adam D'Arcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

leonard7 wrote: »
    Ulster squad: Forwards: Callum Black, Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, Paddy McAllister, Andi Kyriacou, Nigel Brady, Rory Best, Lewis Stevenson, Johann Muller (captain), Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Neil McComb, Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg, Ali Birch, Mike McComish, Chris Henry, Robbie Diack

Backs: Blane McIlroy, Ruan Pienaar, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Ian Whitten, Darren Cave, Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence, Michael Allen, Stefan Terblanche, Craig Gilroy, Conor Gaston, Andrew Trimble, Adam D'Arcy

I sometimes wonder why they bother releasing squads like this. They've named 36 players, essentially every fit player is in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

bilston wrote: »
    Marshall is the perfect bench player. He mightn't like it but he's made for the role. If he has a future with Ireland that's where it will be, if you're chasing a game or a couple of tries for the bonus point he's a great option to spring off the pine.

I'm surprised to hear some Ulster fans knocking him as he's very popular up here. I suppose like anything it depends who you talk to but generally speaking most Ulster fans think he should be in the Irish squad but are realistic that he is behind at least Reddan.

I hope it doesn't come across that i am knockin wee Paul ! Not at all, i think he is great SH to have in yer back pocket. He needs to work on the box kicking and sometimes take a bit of pace / height off some of his passes which can be a little too 'urgent' when he is trying to inject pace into the game...something he has improved greatly on this year. Other than that I'm delighted to see him get game time. Definitely deserves his praise this year.

More concerned about Luke Marshall's development. Jackson could play as 12 and 10, Spence showed some great form at 12 this season when Wallace was unavailable and Cave looks he is a serious candidate at 13. Hard to see Luke getting a run of games? Will we see him feature more next year?

Marshalls season has been extremely disrupted. I still have high hopes for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know when the work on Ravenhill is going to happen. Is it fantasy to hope that work will be begun this summer?

I remember reading that work is expected to be done in 2015 and was thinking, could the pan be one stand a summer till then.

Does anyone know when the work on Ravenhill is going to happen. Is it fantasy to hope that work will be begun this summer?

I remember reading that work is expected to be done in 2015 and was thinking, could the pan be one stand a summer till then.

I believe it is to start at the end of the year.

I am pie wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't come across that i am knockin wee Paul ! Not at all, i think he is great SH to have in yer back pocket. He needs to work on the box kicking and sometimes take a bit of pace / height off some of his passes which can be a little too 'urgent' when he is trying to inject pace into the game...something he has improved greatly on this year. Other than that I'm delighted to see him get game time. Definitely deserves his praise this year.

More concerned about Luke Marshall's development. Jackson could play as 12 and 10, Spence showed some great form at 12 this season when Wallace was unavailable and Cave looks he is a serious candidate at 13. Hard to see Luke getting a run of games? Will we see him feature more next year?

Paul Marshall's box kicking has improved a lot since Pienaar arrived, the urgency he brings to a game can be a plus and a minus for the reasons you say, that's why he's perfectly moulded to be an impact player.

As for Luke, well he's had his fair share of injuries this season which haven't helped and given that every game has been like a cup final over the last few months the chances have been limited. I was surprised he didn't start at 12 at Connacht but in fairness Jackson was probably Ulster's standout player. With Whitten gone next season he should get more chances but he needs to stay fit. I don't know about Spence at 12, he's maybe a bit wasted there or at least not used properly. I'd like to see a bit more of him on the wing at some stage.

When you think of it Ulster will have unreal depth in the outside backs next season. Shame the same can't be said for the back row!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

With Whitten gone next season
    Where is Whitten going? He seemed to be the heir apparent for Paddy Wallace a year or two ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

theKramer wrote: »
    Where is Whitten going? He seemed to be the heir apparent for Paddy Wallace a year or two ago..
    Exeter chiefs http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17299422

theKramer wrote: »

In terms of style of play Marshall would be the ideal heir apparent for Wallace, but as I say his progress has been hit by injury. Whitten is a good player. Dare I say it he'd have been a better signing for Munster than Downey given he's 25 and probably as good but with more development potential.

You will be missed.

Hopefully he gets a good send off tonight. Are the teams out yet ?

You will be missed.

Hopefully he gets a good send off tonight. Are the teams out yet ?

Yep

Ulster: S Terblanche; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar; T Court, N Brady, D Fitzpatrick; J Muller (capt), L Stevenson; C Henry, W Faloon, P Wannenburg.
    Replacements: A Kyricaou, P McAllister, A Macklin, N McComb, R Diack, I Porter, I Humphreys, A D'Arcy.

Leinster: R Kearney; D Kearney, B O'Driscoll, F McFadden, L Fitzgerald; J Sexton, E Reddan; C Healy, R Strauss, M Ross; L Cullen (capt), B Thorn; K McLaughlin, D Ryan, S O'Brien.
    Replacements: S Cronin, H van der Merwe, N White, D Toner, S Jennings, I Boss, I Madigan, F Carr.

Yep

Ulster: S Terblanche; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar; T Court, N Brady, D Fitzpatrick; J Muller (capt), L Stevenson; C Henry, W Faloon, P Wannenburg.
    Replacements: A Kyricaou, P McAllister, A Macklin, N McComb, R Diack, I Porter, I Humphreys, A D'Arcy.

Leinster: R Kearney; D Kearney, B O'Driscoll, F McFadden, L Fitzgerald; J Sexton, E Reddan; C Healy, R Strauss, M Ross; L Cullen (capt), B Thorn; K McLaughlin, D Ryan, S O'Brien.
    Replacements: S Cronin, H van der Merwe, N White, D Toner, S Jennings, I Boss, I Madigan, F Carr.

Aye, cheers, i saw them on the match thread. Looking fwd to seing Fitpatrick, wonder if he's 100%. Would be great to have another good option there for next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aye, cheers, i saw them on the match thread. Looking fwd to seing Fitpatrick, wonder if he's 100%. Would be great to have another good option there for next weekend.
    Did very well!

Also impressed by Paddy Jackson.

Jackson to start next week?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cave defended very well from midfield this evening. Was pretty disappointing in attack though.

Faloon was very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

@dk3lly: Paddy Wallace (concussion/"sick"), Wannenburg (groin) and Henry (shin), spotted on crutches, all doubts for next week's HC semi #rugby

I think he has to. The only thing Humphreys has on him at the minute is experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think he has to. The only thing Humphreys has on him at the minute is experience.

Which will count for a lot considering it's the second biggest game in the History of the club (arguably bigger than the 99 final)

Didn't see the game tonight but Jackson would want to have had some game for management to entrust someone who's never even played at HC level (80% sure of this but open to correction) into a semi

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Which will count for a lot considering it's the second biggest game in the History of the club (arguably bigger than the 99 final)

Didn't see the game tonight but Jackson would want to have had some game for management to entrust someone who's never even played at HC level (80% sure of this but open to correction) into a semi

He has at least 3 HEC games this season under his belt....all from the bench if memory serves me though. The thing is Humphreys had a poor game against Munster, that got lost in the euphoria, but he was poor, and he has been for a while now. It would be a big call but he looked very comfortable tonight.

Actually with Wallace looking very doubtful at the minute I wouldn't be altogether shocked to see him at 12 next week. Jaco would have an embellism(sp?) though!

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jackson's kicking tonight was better than Humphrey's against Munster (drop goal aside obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I think he has every chance. Humphreys star seems to have waned this season. We've see Pienaar a few times as well as Jacknson in the last few months.

That said Humphreys is always outstanding against Edinburgh. The type of game they play makes it easy for him to exploit space with ball in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Edinburgh have conceded bucketloads of points this season, albeit mostly in the Pro12. Humphreys' flair game suits that.

Ulster are in trouble if Wannenburg and Henry are out, Faloon was useless last night. Plus Edinburgh's backrow of Denton, Rennie and Talei is quite strong.

He has at least 3 HEC games this season under his belt....all from the bench if memory serves me though. The thing is Humphreys had a poor game against Munster, that got lost in the euphoria, but he was poor, and he has been for a while now. It would be a big call but he looked very comfortable tonight.

Actually with Wallace looking very doubtful at the minute I wouldn't be altogether shocked to see him at 12 next week. Jaco would have an embellism(sp?) though!

I've one in readiness...... :D Spence, Whitten, Farrell....before anyone else.

Wannenberg and Henry are crucial although Diack played like a man possessed when he came on....the way he did when he arrived here. Faloon was pretty poor. penalties and stood and watched McLaughlin score. Perhaps more people can see why he's going to Connacht. No 'top 2 inches.'.... in either sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Has there been any news on the lads who went off injured last Friday?

Paddy Wallace looked very uncomfortable after being taking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Good news on the injury front
    Henry and Wannenburg given all-clear for euro clash

ESPNscrum Staff
    April 22, 2012

Ulster have received a double boost ahead of their Heineken Cup semi-final against Edinburgh next weekend with the news that Chris Henry and Pedrie Wannenburg have been passed fit for the clash.

Both players were injured during the 16-8 RaboDirect PRO12 defeat to Leinster on Friday night and immediately considered doubts for the Aviva Stadium showdown on Saturday.

Flanker Henry was forced out of the game after twisting his lower leg but a subsequent x-ray on the injury revealed there was no serious damage. Wannenburg was withdrawn after picking up a groin injury but there are reportedly no concerns about the South African No.8.

Centre Paddy Wallace was another casualty from the game following a head injury and his previous history of concussion means he remains under an injury cloud.

Coach Brian McLaughlin chose to rest Rory Best, Stephen Ferris and Dan Tuohy ahead of next weekend's semi-final but retained first-choice players Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy, Ruan Pienaar and Johann Muller in addition to Henry, Wallace and Wannenburg while Declan Fitzpatrick made a welcome return at tight-head after a long lay-out through injury

"We have to focus on a really tough game next week against Edinburgh and do our damndest to win to ensure we get another crack at them (Leinster)," McLaughlin said following the game. "The only thing we think about now is what we do in the Aviva next Saturday."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

shuffol wrote: »
    Good news on the injury front

It would be a shame for them to miss the Semis so it's great to see them available.

jacothelad wrote: »
    I've one in readiness...... :D Spence, Whitten, Farrell....before anyone else.

Wannenberg and Henry are crucial although Diack played like a man possessed when he came on....the way he did when he arrived here. Faloon was pretty poor. penalties and stood and watched McLaughlin score. Perhaps more people can see why he's going to Connacht. No 'top 2 inches.'.... in either sense.

Thank feck Henry will be fit because as you say Faloon at 7 would not have been good news. I don't think there was ever much doubt about Wannenberg.

Two days on I'm not sure what I'd do at 10 now. On Friday night I was all for giving Jackson the jersey but now I'm feeling less brave about it, plus Thomond made some good points earlier in the thread about Humphreys having experience and Edinburgh suiting him down to the ground...but then he's playing like a drain...

Thank feck Henry will be fit because as you say Faloon at 7 would not have been good news. I don't think there was ever much doubt about Wannenberg.

Two days on I'm not sure what I'd do at 10 now. On Friday night I was all for giving Jackson the jersey but now I'm feeling less brave about it, plus Thomond made some good points earlier in the thread about Humphreys having experience and Edinburgh suiting him down to the ground...but then he's playing like a drain...

Major relief that Chris Henry is going to start, Falloon had a few decent games earlier in the season but his form has waned severely. For his own sake I hope he develops with more game time at Connacht.

I'd give iHumph the first half. With no improvement in his kicking from hand (chronic against Munster) I'd whip him off and play Jackson at 10.

Likely Paddy W might not make it back and Paddy J will start at 12, which would take the pressure of Hump a bit, an extra outlet with the boot out of hand.

Starting to get very nervous / excited. I've a feeling it will be a long week in work !

don't play Jackson at 12!!!

9. Pienaar
    10. iHumph
    11. Gilroy
    12. Spence / Whitten / L. Marshall
    13. Cave
    14. Trimble
    15. Treblanche

20. Porter
    21. Jackson
    22. D'Arcy

covers the backline just fine

Major relief that Chris Henry is going to start, Falloon had a few decent games earlier in the season but his form has waned severely. For his own sake I hope he develops with more game time at Connacht.

I'd give iHumph the first half. With no improvement in his kicking from hand (chronic against Munster) I'd whip him off and play Jackson at 10.

Likely Paddy W might not make it back and Paddy J will start at 12, which would take the pressure of Hump a bit, an extra outlet with the boot out of hand.

Starting to get very nervous / excited. I've a feeling it will be a long week in work !

This morning's Belfast Telegraph is saying that out of Wannenberg, Wallace and Henry the one Ulster are most concerned about is Henry. But from the tone of the article I would expect all three to play on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Clegg wrote: »
    Has there been any news on the lads who went off injured last Friday?

Paddy Wallace looked very uncomfortable after being taking off.

Mincer suffered a migraine during the game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I do wince when I hear things like that. He looked pretty ill on the sideline too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10430.php

Wallace and Wannenburg likely to be fit, Henry not ruled out yet and Marshall still undergoing assessment.

• Advertisement

As much as I admire him. This is not a good idea.

John Fogarty will tell him all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10430.php

Wallace and Wannenburg likely to be fit, Henry not ruled out yet and Marshall still undergoing assessment.

I thought Wallace took a knock to the head in the tackle before he went off, I hope it is actually a migraine and not a cover up of mild concussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Migraine?
    Forgive if I'm a teensy bit dubious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Good, hopefully Bristol get up and David builds on his form and establishes himself in the Premier league over there.

Right, so...we've gone quiet (quiet trepidation i reckon!) in here lads. Who is going to get a match thread up and running?

I'm not up to the job unfortunately : ) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey guys, a mate and I are bringing a good friend to the match for his birthday.

As well as the tickets we wanna get him a Jersey, and we'd like to get him one of those Ulster Supporters Jerseys, the cartoon strip ones. Does anyone know if there is a shop in Dublin that stocks them, or any way I could get one before Saturday?

Good, hopefully Bristol get up and David builds on his form and establishes himself in the Premier league over there.

Right, so...we've gone quiet (quiet trepidation i reckon!) in here lads. Who is going to get a match thread up and running?

I'm not up to the job unfortunately : ) !

someone do it. Ulster die hard please, none of these Southern Softies :pac:

That's you, jaco or bilston.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hey guys, a mate and I are bringing a good friend to the match for his birthday.

As well as the tickets we wanna get him a Jersey, and we'd like to get him one of those Ulster Supporters Jerseys, the cartoon strip ones. Does anyone know if there is a shop in Dublin that stocks them, or any way I could get one before Saturday?

You can get them in Elvery's Dundrum. Was in there a couple of days ago and they had the white home strip and black and red polo shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You can get them in Elvery's Dundrum. Was in there a couple of days ago and they had the white home strip and black and red polo shirts.

Just rang them they said they were out of stock, damn this is bugging me. Will an Ulster Merchandise van be around the stadium or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What about Elverys jersey shop on Dawson street?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement