Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

i'd hope they would have called the other 2 stores for you. Hmm..that is a surprise as they looked to have a good few on Mon / Tues night.

If the other Elvery's don't have them, i'm at a loss !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Leinster rugby shop in Donnybrook might be worth a phone call as well. Theres also a rugby shop in the Merrion center in Ballsbridge and one in Blackrock shopping center, I'd give both of them calls too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Macartan

Dawson St. have them, they said they are getting new stock tomorrow morning as well, as the jerseys are selling quite well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thats funny, the lad at Elveries Dawson street just said that the supporters Jersey was never made available to retailers. Guess he'll be getting the home jersey then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Macartan

Well she said the home jersey and the european jersey were there now, didnt ask about the supporters one to be honest, but its worth asking if they are getting fresh stock?

• Advertisement

Macartan wrote: »
    Well she said the home jersey and the european jersey were there now, didnt ask about the supporters one to be honest, but its worth asking if they are getting fresh stock?

Nah the dude on the phone seemed real clued in, like the guy in DD elveries walked off and checked the shelf, the guy in Dawson knew exactly what I was talking about.

Possible an official ulster rugby merchandise stand near the aviva on match day will stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

errlloyd wrote: »
    Nah the dude on the phone seemed real clued in, like the guy in DD elveries walked off and checked the shelf, the guy in Dawson knew exactly what I was talking about.

Possible an official ulster rugby merchandise stand near the aviva on match day will stock it.

If I were you (if you haven't already) I'd go onto the Ulster supporters forum, and I'm sure someone there would be able to give you an answer. Too many southerners in here.

Tox56 wrote: »
    If I were you (if you haven't already) I'd go onto the Ulster supporters forum, and I'm sure someone there would be able to give you an answer. Too many southerners in here.

Good idea, did just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ian Humphreys to sign for London Irish for next season.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

bilston wrote: »

Now that's an interesting development...

• Advertisement

what!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

any official source on this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

WOW. That it massive. Huge step up for Paddy Jackson..
    OUTHALF Ian Humphreys is set to leave Ulster at the end of the season and return to the English Premiership with London Irish.

Humphreys, who returned to Ulster in 2008-09, after a successful stint with Leicester Tigers, is believed to have agreed a deal with the Exiles.

The recently turned 30-year-old has been to the forefront of the Ulster team for the past four years, but some indifferent form this year had resulted in his position being weakened.

Although he played in the entire Heineken Cup quarter-final win over Munster last month, he missed out on a start in the semi-final against Edinburgh.

However, Humphreys was instrumental in steering Ulster to the crucial home win over Clermont Auvergne in the opening European pool win, displaying the talent most Ravenhill fans have been accustomed to seeing from a player who has scored 617 points in 81 appearances.

The Ballymena man was also instrumental in guiding Ulster to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals for the first time in 12 years the previous season, with one of the stand out moments being a long rang and crucial last gasp penalty against Biarritz at Ravenhill which kept the side on course for the last eight from their pool.

Humphreys, who is on the bench for tomorrow’s last PRO12 game in Munster, is expected to feature in the Heineken Cup final.

Meanwhile, Ulster head coach, Brian McLaughlin will give young Academy player, Ian Henderson, his first competitive start tomorrow in the RaboDirect PRO12 game against Munster at Thomond Park, Limerick.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/humphreys-set-to-leave-ulster-for-premiership-1-3806685

TOL and iHumph to be flakiest halfback combo in history?

wow.
    wow.
    wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Humphreys could be surplus to requirements.

They have a good few potential half back partnerships without him. Pienaar/Jackson, Marshall/Pienaar, Marshall/Jackson, Porter/Jackson, Porter/Pienaar. I'm not sure if McKinney would stay or if he can, but even if he can't Stuart Olding looks like a top prospect.

It's a very strange development though given his brother etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

He is 30 though. Last chance for a big money move and it looked like he was being pushed to the side in the 2nd half of this season.

Unless of course this means...

---art_gareth_anscombe_20120311072829219931-420x0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Would the incoming coach have had any input into this I wonder, what a couple of weeks for Jackson, a month ago he was just another talented youngster struggling for gametime.

Great to see Henderson starting against Munster tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how he fares against O'Connell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Humphreys could be surplus to requirements.

They have a good few potential half back partnerships without him. Pienaar/Jackson, Marshall/Pienaar, Marshall/Jackson, Porter/Jackson, Porter/Pienaar. I'm not sure if McKinney would stay or if he can, but even if he can't Stuart Olding looks like a top prospect.

It's a very strange development though given his brother etc.

I think Porter and McKinney are leaving as well.

I think we'll need to bring another 10 in either to mentor or to be back up to Jackson.

• Advertisement

Surely they'll need an experienced head or is it all guns blazing for Jackson now?

I'm a huge fan of his, but is he ready to be 10 for a season? Perhaps iHumph realised that he'd be phased out over the next 12/18 months if he stayed, and decided that wasn't for him?

The McKinney rumour came around the same time as the Annett rumour. Given the Annett deal fell through, maybe the McKinney deal did as well?

Hadn't heard Porter was leaving. It would make some sense. There's always McIlroy behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Surely they'll need an experienced head or is it all guns blazing for Jackson now?

I'm a huge fan of his, but is he ready to be 10 for a season? Perhaps iHumph realised that he'd be phased out over the next 12/18 months if he stayed, and decided that wasn't for him?

I'd say that's probably his logic. I still think he could have got another decent season at Ulster, despite being in and out of the 10 slot. However, his probability of getting a good-paying multi-season contract is better at 30 than 31. Probably made sense for him.

Maybe its a promotion for Marshall rather than Jackson with Pienaar to play more at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

shuffol wrote: »
    Maybe its a promotion for Marshall rather than Jackson with Pienaar to play more at 10.

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought Pienaar had it in his contract that he was there to primarily play at 9 so that mightn't be an option

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought Pienaar had it in his contract that he was there to primarily play at 9 so that mightn't be an option

Think you're correct there but didnt he sign another one.

shuffol wrote: »

That was a bit of a rumour though that spiralled though. He said when he was in talks with Ulster that he only wanted to play 9 so that he could make the Springboks squad for the world cup. He has played 10 a couple of times.

I'm sure he'd still want to stay at 9 though, so I think the more likely starting combination is himself and Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

This brings up lots of interesting questions;

Was this the reason why Jackson has started nearly every game since the q/f?

Or is it a case that iHumph is moving BECAUSE Jackson has started every game since the q/f?

Also from a LI perspective this is interesting - iHumph, TOL and even Geraghty; bit of an Irish renaissance going on there, wonder are they just trying to cash in on the now considerable (again) Irish immigrant presence in greater London? or is it all just coincidental? Cos those three wouldn't exactly constitute the most consistent of half-back rosters around....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Tox56 wrote: »
    TOL and iHumph to be flakiest halfback combo in history?

But it's grand, cos if Humphreys is having an off-day, LI can send on Shane Geraghty to steady the ship.

Good lord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

But it's grand, cos if Humphreys is having an off-day, LI can send on Shane Geraghty to steady the ship.

Good lord.

It reminds me of Northampton last summer. Geraghty wasn't cutting it and wasn't the steady hand they needed at the tiller to guide the team so they went out and signed Ryan Lamb. Shock horror, Lamb is deemed flakey and unreliable and Stephen Myler ends up in the team again.

Think it's a vote of confidence in Jackson more than anything and I'm sure Humphreys was taken aside and told the score a couple of weeks ago ahead of the Leinster game. I massively rate Jackson and I think the Ulster coaching staff do too. They were giving him starts as a 19 year old in the ML last season. McKinley was the only one getting a start at that age at outhalf. Fully believe that Jackson will be a 50 cap international. He's 20 and playing with a simple effectiveness that many 30 year olds don't.

Stunned by this. I hope it goes well for Ian and also for PJ. Hope he get's his chance and we don't draft in a big name replacement from the sourthern hemisphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Ulster match day squad to face Munster, Saturday 5th May 2012, Thomond Park (kick-off 7.30pm)

(15-9): A D'Arcy; A Trimble, N Spence, I Whitten, C Cochrane; P Jackson, P Marshall;

(1-8): P McAllister, N Brady (c), D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, I Henderson, W Faloon, R Diack;
    Replacements

(16-23): N Annett, C Black, T Court, M McComish, A Birch, B McIlroy, I Humphreys, C Gilroy

Unavailable due to injury: J Payne (achilles), S Danielli (hamstring), T Barker (back), C Henry (ankle), N McComb (neck), A Kyriacou (shoulder)

Good chance for Fitzpatrick to build on his SF scrummaging performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So will Ulster be looking to pick up a new outhalf as back up for Jackson? You have Olding coming through but he has no experience at all and I doubt Ulster will want 2 inexperienced 10's playing for them. Pienaar will only ever play the odd game at 10.

So they'll be looking for a player that has some experience, willing to leave his current club and is preferably Irish qualified..........

Lads I think Jeremy Staunton fits that criteria. God help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Unless of course this means...

---art_gareth_anscombe_20120311072829219931-420x0.jpg

he was dropped from their 22 for there last game being giving the blamed for their poor results lately

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    So will Ulster be looking to pick up a new outhalf as back up for Jackson? You have Olding coming through but he has no experience at all and I doubt Ulster will want 2 inexperienced 10's playing for them. Pienaar will only ever play the odd game at 10.

So they'll be looking for a player that has some experience, willing to leave his current club and is preferably Irish qualified..........

Lads I think Jeremy Staunton fits that criteria. God help you.

Luke Marshall also covers 10, a likely IQ replacement might be Gareth Steenson, Ulsterman and a solid enough player, doesnt start for Exeter these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Out
    Cronin
    Kyriacou
    Annette??
    Barker??
    Faloon
    Wannenberg
    McKinney??
    Humphries
    Whitten
    Danielli
    Terblance

In
    Wilson
    Bowe

Ulster have to make some signings soon imo too many players going out and not enough players ready to step up within the Ulster system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm absolutely stunned if this is true, first choice 10 to surplus to requirements in 3 weeks. Wow.

Out
    Cronin
    Kyriacou
    Annette??
    Barker??
    Faloon
    Wannenberg
    McKinney??
    Humphries
    Whitten
    Danielli
    Terblance

In
    Wilson
    Bowe

Ulster have to make some signings soon imo too many players going out and not enough players ready to step up within the Ulster system.

Yep. Need an experienced steady hand willing to play back up at 10, a terblanche type figure. Need back row reinforcements. Remember we'll have Payne back in. Terblanche was cover for him whilst in recuperation. He covers FB, we're well stocked at centre & wing positions. Just need backrow and no. 10. Didn't realise Andy Kyriac...yeah him, was going. He's been a trooper and will def be missed. Not sure what we coming through in behind him, Nigel Brady will cover Rory when he's away. Have we any strength in the youth set up?

I guess Anscombe will come with some ideas for replacements. Might have to wait until he gets a look at the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I am pie wrote: »
    Yep. Need an experienced steady hand willing to play back up at 10, a terblanche type figure. Need back row reinforcements. Remember we'll have Payne back in. Terblanche was cover for him whilst in recuperation. He covers FB, we're well stocked at centre & wing positions. Just need backrow and no. 10. Didn't realise Andy Kyriac...yeah him, was going. He's been a trooper and will def be missed. Not sure what we coming through in behind him, Nigel Brady will cover Rory when he's away. Have we any strength in the youth set up?

I guess Anscombe will come with some ideas for replacements. Might have to wait until he gets a look at the squad.

Am I getting confused or is Brady leaving as well?

• Advertisement

Am I getting confused or is Brady leaving as well?

No, sorry what i meant was that Kyriacou had a good number of apprearances this year as hooker with Brady as back up. Brady will cover Rory Best while Rory is away on international duty, which leaves us short of backup for those periods.

Not sure what the development squad is like for hookers?

I am pie wrote: »
    No, sorry what i meant was that Kyriacou had a good number of apprearances this year as hooker with Brady as back up. Brady will cover Rory Best while Rory is away on international duty, which leaves us short of backup for those periods.

Not sure what the development squad is like for hookers?

Niall Annett..sorry, answered my own question!

Brady is retiring, I think but Annett is staying. They need more depth at hooker though with Kyriacou leaving

At 10 you've got 2 12s and a 9 capable of covering. Olding is coming through and he's a top talent.

Squad seems like

McAllister, Court, Fitzpatrick, Afoa, Macklin, McCall
    Best, Annett (!)
    Tuohy, Muller, Stevenson, Barker, Henderson
    Ferris, Henry, Wilson, Diack, Birch, McComb

Pienaar, Marshall, McIlroy
    Jackson, McKinney?, Olding
    Wallace, Marshall, Spence, Farrell, Cave
    Trimble, Gilroy, Bowe, Cochrane
    Payne, D'Arcy, Nelson

To me the only position that lacks cover there is hooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7730941,00.html

Move confirmed, 3 year deal. At 30 years old a contract at that length is quite appealing. Big step down in terms of club though, London Irish are a mid table Premiership team these days.

Brady is retiring, I think but Annett is staying. They need more depth at hooker though with Kyriacou leaving

At 10 you've got 2 12s and a 9 capable of covering. Olding is coming through and he's a top talent.

Squad seems like

McAllister, Court, Fitzpatrick, Afoa, Macklin, McCall
    Best, Annett (!)
    Tuohy, Muller, Stevenson, Barker, Henderson
    Ferris, Henry, Wilson, Diack, Birch, McComb

Pienaar, Marshall, McIlroy
    Jackson, McKinney?, Olding
    Wallace, Marshall, Spence, Farrell, Cave
    Trimble, Gilroy, Bowe, Cochrane
    Payne, D'Arcy, Nelson

To me the only position that lacks cover there is hooker.
    Are you sure Annett is staying? Anyway with Brady and Kyriacou leaving someone needs to be signed, I'm sure Anscombe has ideas but I have to wonder if Ulster missed a trick by not signing Fogarty and letting him off to France. Solid experienced backup similar standard to brady and the Kyriacou.

Last I heard Annets move had been cancelled when Brady decided to retire?

Last I heard Annets move had been cancelled when Brady decided to retire?
    ok thanks I didn't know about that but good to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Niall O Connor to return to Ulster to fill the gap vacated by ihumph as backup to Jackson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Niall O Connor to return to Ulster to fill the gap vacated by ihumph as backup to Jackson?

Ulster to win surprise victory in Twickenham, ROG to declare his wish to play for a team currently capable of winning the Heineken Cup and demand a move North? ....roughly about as likely I'd say.

Maybe its being explored. To be honest Ulster could play with only halfback (marshall on the bench) and with Jackson having no international involvement he could play a lot more games for Ulster than ROG or Sexton for their provinces and as such any signing at 10 would probably only get a few games if so (With my Ulster hat on) I wouldn't mind NOC returning.

If however the plan is to sign someone who will usually be on the bench and will start a number of games I really wouldn't like to see it being NOC.

There is room for a NIQ signing although there is a clamour from the fans to sign another backrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement