Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    I'm not sure it will be at the Allianz Stadium though. They want the council to approve the temporary increase of their stadium by 50% BEFORE they have even used the stadium at its set capacity. Have they even had a test event there yet?

I'd like a date and time and at least a commitment to what city it will be played in (presumably London but with Saracens who knows?) so that I can book my flights!

date and time are out but no commitment as to which city it will be in

Allianz is the preference but if they don't get the increase it will have to be moved and I don't know if they will choose Boston, Cape Town or Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

ERC are saying it'll be in London on their FB, 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well I've booked my flights to London anyway...if nothing else it will be a good boys weekend away...even if Ulster end up in New York!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Its definitely in London. More than likely at the new pitch. The local bigwigs won't want to miss out on that money coming into Barnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Quarter final confirmed for Twickenham. Lets hope it gives me better memories than last time..

• Advertisement

Hope the Ulster contingent pack the place out... again. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Let's hope that more than the 11,000 show up like they did for Saracens QF against Clermont last season!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Let's hope that more than the 11,000 show up like they did for Saracens QF against Clermont last season!

If half the Ulster fans go that have said they're going, it'll look more like Ravenhill than Sarries at home! I'd expect plenty of Leinster/Munster fans will take the match in as well.

I'll definitely be heading if its Twickers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a good point. Leinster play Friday night, Ulster Sat evening, and Munster on the Sunday afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think it will get a good few Munster fans that arrive over there early for their own game.

Possibly a big mistake on Sarries part. Although they'll reap a good slice of the cake on the tickets.

Great little weekend planned now!

.ak wrote: »
    Hope the Ulster contingent pack the place out... again. ;)

Ha, well I suppose the good thing about the Ulster game being at Twickenham is that it will be an opportunity for Leinster fans to witness some knockout Heineken cup rugby in the flesh this season:p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Fez101

Will it better to try and get tickets via Sarcens or will Ulster be given a decent allocation seeeing as it at Twickenham?

Fez101 wrote: »
    Will it better to try and get tickets via Sarcens or will Ulster be given a decent allocation seeeing as it at Twickenham?

I suppose in theory Ulster should get 20,000 tickets so if that's the case get them off the Ulster Branch as then you'll be with the Ulster fans. To be honest I'd imagine you will be able to pay at the gate unless they only open certain parts of the stadium.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Hmm didn't think id have had a chance to get a ticket before... Weekend in London looking very tempting now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Great to be having a choice though, as tickets should not be a problem and even better that we are playing on Grass !

Surpised this one hasn't been talked about already, Afoa may be returning to NZ.
    Former Test prop John Afoa was a surprise visitor at Blues training today as he enjoys some of the country's warm weather while here on a short break from his European rugby duties with Ulster.

The burly tighthead has a third child on the way and is keen to return to these shores to be closer to family, in what would be a major boost to the All Blacks front row stocks heading towards the World Cup defence in 2015.

"We're expecting our third one, she's due in about 10 weeks," Afoa told ONE Sport today.

"I think like most people you want to be close to your friends and family in those early stages.

"Just coming home and bringing the family home for the baby is a positive...hopefully come back and play some footy too."

Afoa left New Zealand following the 2011 World Cup after signing with Ulster for two and a half years, but a return in the middle of next year, if not earlier, is more than enough time for the 29-year-old to have a decent tilt at selection for the next World Cup.

Fellow World Cup winning frontrower and former Blues teammate Tony Woodcock is confident Afoa's tighthead expertise and experience would prove invaluable in an area where the All Blacks need depth.

"He's still pretty young, from what I've heard he's playing well overseas, he'd slot straight back into the team," Woodcock said.

New Blues coach John Kirwan said the franchise would be keen to talk to Afoa if he was planning a return home.

"This is his home, over 100 games, he's one of our guys," Kirwan said.

"If he wants to come home we'd love to talk to him."

• Advertisement

Good god no! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Would love to see him stay beiynd his 2 &1/2 year contract, but players like Afoa aren't going to hang about forever. Espically if theres a chance of playing for the AB's in the next world cup, he'll still have a full season in new zealand.

Ulster rugby will be blessed to have him about for another season, but all good things come to an end. But in the mean time, I'll enjoy watching him breaking through the line & destroying oppositions scrums!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'm pretty sure any player in those circumstances would have said what the 'locals' want to hear. Perhaps another large contract will help him reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭sjwpjw

what do you ulster fans reckon about only 2 guys in the 15 when the team is playing so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

sjwpjw wrote: »
    what do you ulster fans reckon about only 2 guys in the 15 when the team is playing so well?

It's not really as black and white as that, Ferris and Bowe would be certain starters if fit, and a lot of the Ulster success is down to their fantastic NIQs who have much more influence then any of the other provinces NIQs.

I think a lot of Ulster players can count themselves unlucky to miss out on the 23 though, IMO Court and Marshall should definitely be on the bench while there are arguments for Jackson and Trimble(although I wouldn't have either). Henry is unlucky to miss out on starting as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

sjwpjw wrote: »

Have heard this questions asked constantly this week, but who else would you put in?!
    Henry is the only one that's really hard done by. Trimble is (probably deservedly) behind Fitz and anyway would be replacing Gilroy most likely.

Best, Court, Tuohy, Ferris, Henry, Wilson and maybe Stevenson would be forwards of varying degrees of ability who might be serviceable at international level.
    Wilson is too old.
    Fez is injured.
    Tuohy is injured.
    Stevenson is a developing player who, while not young, has begun to show a real edge for Ulster but wouldn't be better than Ryan, Tuohy or McCarthy and is similar to DOC.
    Court has been binned in favour of Kilcoyne. Kilcoyne seems a decent if untested player. If he proves the real deal then we have a gem of a prospect and 3 good to great loose heads with Calum Black also a better player than most think.
    That leaves Best and Henry, clearly the best hooker and the best 7 in Ireland at the moment. Henry, a great groundhog, tackler, turnover winner and excellent in the line out, is under the handicap of only playing in red when Ulster use their away strip.

In the backs, guys who might be international players we have Paul Marshall, Luke Marshall, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble and Tommy Bowe.

Bowe is injured.
    Luke Marshall is injured.
    Paddy 'Scapegoat' Wallace is apparently too old.
    Jackson isn't good enough as yet despite a lot of good things about his game.....Madigan and Keatley are better choices and all three are far ahead of O'Gara.
    Paul Marshall is a decent option considering that Reddan is not hitting the highspots, Boss is apparently a carrier of Bubonic Plague and seemingly Murray, playing a game that is slightly faster than uphill treacle, is good enough for everyone.

That leaves:
    Cave who is behind BOD - fair enough - and sadly Earls, in Kidneyworld.
    Trimble who was dropped after S.A. for having the temerity to only get one pass in the whole game and in reality is a good right wing who rarely gets the chance to play there.
    Gilroy who is in.

So two players in the starting line up is about right. Most people seem to think, as I do that Henry should be there.
    I would also have Paul Marshall on the bench to come on and fire the ball at ROG when Sexton is moved to 12......It's hard to believe that even a dullard like Deccie thinks this is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

jacothelad wrote: »
    Best, Court, Tuohy, Ferris, Henry, Wilson and maybe Stevenson would be forwards of varying degrees of ability who might be serviceable at international level.
    Wilson is too old.
    Fez is injured.
    Tuohy is injured.
    Stevenson is a developing player who, while not young, has begun to show a real edge for Ulster but wouldn't be better than Ryan, Tuohy or McCarthy and is similar to DOC.
    Court has been binned in favour of Kilcoyne. Kilcoyne seems a decent if untested player. If he proves the real deal then we have a gem of a prospect and 3 good to great loose heads with Calum Black also a better player than most think.
    That leaves Best and Henry, clearly the best hooker and the best 7 in Ireland at the moment. Henry, a great groundhog, tackler, turnover winner and excellent in the line out, is under the handicap of only playing in red when Ulster use their away strip.

In the backs, guys who might be international players we have Paul Marshall, Luke Marshall, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble and Tommy Bowe.

Bowe is injured.
    Luke Marshall is injured.
    Paddy 'Scapegoat' Wallace is apparently too old.
    Jackson isn't good enough as yet despite a lot of good things about his game.....Madigan and Keatley are better choices and all three are far ahead of O'Gara.
    Paul Marshall is a decent option considering that Reddan is not hitting the highspots, Boss is apparently a carrier of Bubonic Plague and seemingly Murray, playing a game that is slightly faster than uphill treacle, is good enough for everyone.

So tl;dr Best, Henry and Gilroy are the only ones who deserve to be starting at the moment.

Murray is having an excellent season, for once he deserves to be Ireland's 9 without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What about henderson Jaco?

Watched Olding tonight and have to say i was impressed - a lovely player to watch.

Fez posting pics of his ankle on twitter yesterday - he mustn't be a million miles away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

mfceiling wrote: »

Watched Olding tonight and have to say i was impressed - a lovely player to watch.

Fez posting pics of his ankle on twitter yesterday - he mustn't be a million miles away?

Here Captain, you heading over to the QF in London? Booked flights and hotel today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Here Captain, you heading over to the QF in London? Booked flights and hotel today.

I'll look into it this week.......have to keep it quiet from her indoors. She's already been told to make herself scarce for the next couple of months at the weekend....like a broken tele - all picture and no sound!!

So tl;dr Best, Henry and Gilroy are the only ones who deserve to be starting at the moment.

Murray is having an excellent season, for once he deserves to be Ireland's 9 without question.

Yes, Best, Gilroy and Henry plus Fitzpatrick of course. As for Murray. No he isn't at all having a season any better than last. . He is a very average player. He has no spark or invention at all. He's not quick enough off the mark to be a threat and he simply isn't an international quality 9. We don't have one. Possibly McGrath or Marmion might fill the void. If Murray didn't play for Deccie's province do you think he'd have been capped? I certainly don't.

mfceiling wrote: »

Henderson's day will come soon. Another 3 or 4 months with Ulster and a trip with Ireland in the summer.

Olding is a really good player already. Always seems to do the right thing. Is a guy who plays 10 but as we can see he can play at 12, 13, and 15. Although I'll get harassed probably for saying it but I think he's going to maybe turn out to be better than Jackson. It's a great dilemma for Ulster.

It'll be a relief for Ferris to get back and get fit for the Heineken cup.....and maybe Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Anyone hazard a guess at Ulsters forwards and replacements with everybody fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

shuffol wrote: »

Court, Best, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Ferris, Henry, Williams;

Reps: Herring, McAllister, Fitzpatrick, Stevenson, Wilson

• Advertisement

Court, Best, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Ferris, Henry, Williams;

Reps: Herring, McAllister, Fitzpatrick, Stevenson, Wilson

Would've considered that the most likely myself, tough to leave Henderson out though.

I think in a perfect world Ferris would be back in there. Court, Best, Afoa, Ferris, Muller, Tuohy, Henry, Williams.

Would've considered that the most likely myself, tough to leave Henderson out though.
    Henderson is great, but Tuohy and Muller are ahead of him if fit at this point in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes, Best, Gilroy and Henry plus Fitzpatrick of course. As for Murray. No he isn't at all having a season any better than last. . He is a very average player. He has no spark or invention at all. He's not quick enough off the mark to be a threat and he simply isn't an international quality 9. We don't have one. Possibly McGrath or Marmion might fill the void. If Murray didn't play for Deccie's province do you think he'd have been capped? I certainly don't.

I agree with most of what you say in general, jaco, but I think you're wrong about Murray. He's having a much better season this year, he's ran the show for Munster at times, and has grown into a leadership role. We all know we've had problems at out-half but Murray has taken on the burden of responsibility a lot of times. I wouldn't say he's been Munster's best player (that would be Zebo most likely) but he's been very good.

He has a nice pass, he offers a breaking threat, his box-kicking is excellent and his defence is superb. He has worked on the weaknesses an awful lot and he is comfortably the best 9 in the country imo.

awec wrote: »
    Henderson is great, but Tuohy and Muller are ahead of him if fit at this point in time.

Meant the 23, I'd have him behind Stevenson and possibly even McComb for the 2nd row.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what kind of team we're looking at for Friday v Ospreys? Muller should be back by this stage, is Afoa/Payne going to be back? All being well I'd expect something along the lines of below, the bench wouldn't be too strong though.

1-Court, 2-Herring, 3-Afoa, 4-Muller, 5-Touhy, 6-Henderson, 7-Diack, 8-Wilson, 9-Pienaar, 10-Jackson, 11-Trimble, 12-Wallace, 13-Cave, 14-Cochrane, 15-Andrew

I guess we'll have to see if there's any changes made to the Ireland squad.

Great news.
    Johann Muller will confirm on Monday that he is staying on with Ulster for another season.

The News Letter revealed last November the South African would be staying on, but the one year contract will officially be signed off on Monday.

In the wake of the exaggerated stories in respect of John Afoa planning to leave the Province once his contract runs out in 2014 as was expected, the securing of Ulster skipper, Muller (left), is a huge boost for the Province - although there will be a major changing of the guard in June 2014.

Ulster are also expected to be boosted further by the lock this week in that he will be available, and will play, against Ospreys as the PRO12 resumes after a two week break.

Great news for Ulster, possibly bad news for Leinster. Can't see them getting Bakkies now.

Excellent news!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    Great news for Ulster, possibly bad news for Leinster. Can't see them getting Bakkies now.

If the IRFU gave clearance for this, you would think they would have the common sense to allow Leinster (who need a second row far more than Ulster) to bring an NIQ in

Should have copied the end of that article over actually..
    Meanwhile, although Ulster have made no official comment regarding New Zealand prop, John Afoa, it is understood while he may miss this weekend’s game in Belfast he will be back in the Province and will be honouring his contract which is due to expire in June 2014.

Tox56 wrote: »
    If the IRFU gave clearance for this, you would think they would have the common sense to allow Leinster (who need a second row far more than Ulster) to bring an NIQ in

I get the feeling that the IRFU are quietly backing down from this nonsense.

Back to Ulster and while I'm delighted Muller has signed on for another year, he, Afoa and Pienaar all come off contract in June 2014.

Afoa, it seems will not entertain the idea of an extension if he was even allowed one and Muller will surely retire.

That leaves Pienaar, he himself has put it on record that he'd like to stay so it's up to the IRFU. With the excellent Murray (yes Jaco Murray has become a fine scrum half this season) and the young mercurial McGrath at Leinster as well as Marmion I see no reason for the IRFU to play silly buggers over Pienaar.

If having Pienaar helps get players like Henderson, Henry, Cave, Jackson, Marshall and Gilroy into HEC knockout stages then surely that's good for Irish rugby.

In all honesty I'd be gutted to lose Afoa.

A lot can happen between now and June 2014 mind!

Tox56 wrote: »

I think they wouldn't need to ale any exceptions. There are 2 2nd rows in a team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement