Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looks the business! :)

awec wrote: »
    Looks the business! :)
    We just need the team to match it now. Plenty of home grown backs but not so many to do te heavy lifting a year or two down the line. At the end of next season we lose Afoa, Pienaar and Muller. Without a tight head - apart from Deccie ' I've hurt my leg again' Fitz that is - and a decent lineout boss and iconic leader - we are up the creek sans paddle.

jacothelad wrote: »
    We just need the team to match it now. Plenty of home grown backs but not so many to do te heavy lifting a year or two down the line. At the end of next season we lose Afoa, Pienaar and Muller. Without a tight head - apart from Deccie ' I've hurt my leg again' Fitz that is - and a decent lineout boss and iconic leader - we are up the creek sans paddle.
    Henderson has a big future and will become a key part of our team.

TH is worrying, there's a bit of an epidemic in Ireland at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see us land another NIQ TH.

Pienaar, well, how do you replace that man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Forwards mature later than backs.

As a fun exercise here is an Under 30 Ulster side minus NIQs.

15 Craig Gilroy 21
    14 Tommy Bowe 29
    13 Darren Cave 25
    12 Luke Marshall 22
    11 Andrew Trimble 28
    10 Paddy Jackson 21
    9 Paul Marshall 28
    1 Paddy McAlistair 23
    2 Rory Best 30
    3 Declan Fitzpatrick 28
    4 Iain Henderson 21
    5 Dan Tuohy 27
    6 Stephen Ferris 27
    7 Chris Henry 28
    8 Robbie Diack 26

That team plus a few NIQs could keep us going for a while yet. We could do with a top No.8 coming through.

bilston wrote: »
    Forwards mature later than backs.

As a fun exercise here is an Under 30 Ulster side minus NIQs.

15 Craig Gilroy 21
    14 Tommy Bowe 29
    13 Darren Cave 25
    12 Luke Marshall 22
    11 Andrew Trimble 28
    10 Paddy Jackson 21
    9 Paul Marshall 28
    1 Paddy McAlistair 23
    2 Rory Best 30
    3 Declan Fitzpatrick 28
    4 Iain Henderson 21
    5 Dan Tuohy 27
    6 Stephen Ferris 27
    7 Chris Henry 28
    8 Robbie Diack 26

That team plus a few NIQs could keep us going for a while yet. We could do with a top No.8 coming through.

But what does the bench look like?

Henderson has a big future and will become a key part of our team.

TH is worrying, there's a bit of an epidemic in Ireland at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see us land another NIQ TH.

Pienaar, well, how do you replace that man?

Yes, Henderson is a star in the ascendant. There is a 19 y.o guy at Ballyclare called Blair who is 6'9" and apparently looking very good. As you say we really need a fearsome wrecking ball of a tight head but unless we kidnap a 20 stone, 5'8" Georgian teenager we are scuppered. It will be interesting to see how some of the U20s pan out. We do have a few in the mix but they haven't set the world on fire as yet. Also there may be a surplus at Leinster by the way things look. In the interests of Irish rugby Tadgh Furlong should really come up here.......:D:D:D:D:D:D

The trouble is that the brain dead accountant who dreamed up the new NIQ regulations precludes Ulster from getting a new NIE /Q tight head. Paddy McAllister is apparently going to give it a go when he is fit. I fear the worst. Props have gone successfully from tight to loose but rarely the other way. The Claw for example became a great l/h after being a good t/h.

Wooden and mostly flat with a divot worn in it by Deccie Fitz's dressings.........................................I'll get my coat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Moving Paddy Mac to TH would be stupid - if the guy stays fit he will overtake Court and become Ulster's Healy sooner rather than later. Smacks of trying to get the best players on the pitch with no regard for the position they are playing.

Is Macklin a LH or TH?

Yes, Henderson is a star in the ascendant. There is a 19 y.o guy at Ballyclare called Blair who is 6'9" and apparently looking very good. As you say we really need a fearsome wrecking ball of a tight head but unless we kidnap a 20 stone, 5'8" Georgian teenager we are scuppered. It will be interesting to see how some of the U20s pan out. We do have a few in the mix but they haven't set the world on fire as yet. Also there may be a surplus at Leinster by the way things look. In the interests of Irish rugby Tadgh Furlong should really come up here.......:D:D:D:D:D:D

The trouble is that the brain dead accountant who dreamed up the new NIQ regulations precludes Ulster from getting a new NIE /Q tight head. Paddy McAllister is apparently going to give it a go when he is fit. I fear the worst. Props have gone successfully from tight to loose but rarely the other way. The Claw for example became a great l/h after being a good t/h.

So the NIQ rules don't let you re-sign a NIQ rule for the same position?

What about the project player scheme? I wonder if this is an option for us?

I presume for the 6'9" bloke you were referring to lock and not tight head? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So the NIQ rules don't let you re-sign a NIQ rule for the same position?

No. Though they also wouldn't have let Munster re-sign Botha so who the **** really knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Rob Herring Callum Black Adam Macklin Lewis Stevenson Sean Doyle Rob Herring Stuart Olding Adam Darcy

Rob Herring Callum Black Adam Macklin Lewis Stevenson Sean Doyle Rob Herring Stuart Olding Adam Darcy

I believe D'Arcy may be heading to sunnier climes where they eat weird stuff like Snails and Frogs Legs.

I believe D'Arcy may be heading to sunnier climes where they eat weird stuff like Snails and Frogs Legs.
    Limerick?

Ricky Andrew or Chris Cochrane then probably

Would make sense if he was to leave, he hasn't struck me as connected to Ulster, he is an Aussie that came here on trial, he turned down a wolfhounds call up in his first season, and he wasn't trusted as first choice FB with Payne and Terblanche brought in ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Moving Paddy Mac to TH would be stupid - if the guy stays fit he will overtake Court and become Ulster's Healy sooner rather than later. Smacks of trying to get the best players on the pitch with no regard for the position they are playing.

Is Macklin a LH or TH?[/QUOTE]

macklins a TH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Russell Blair. seen him play a few times between Ulster Youths and Irish Youths. Very good player. Is he involved with Irish 19s this year and is he playing more than u19 rugby with Ballymoney or he is playing much adult rugby?

Podge_irl wrote: »

Is Macklin a LH or TH?

It's Paddy's own decision apparently. All that lazing around with his feet up has addled his brain maybe.......:D Perhaps Afoa has convinced him. Paddy Mac is big enough.............but..........
    ormond lad wrote: »
    Russell Blair. seen him play a few times between Ulster Youths and Irish Youths. Very good player. Is he involved with Irish 19s this year and is he playing more than u19 rugby with Ballymoney or he is playing much adult rugby?

He is recovering from a broken leg at the moment. I think back in training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

He is recovering from a broken leg at the moment. I think back in training.

Injury bug really going around up there huh?

• Advertisement

Injury bug really going around up there huh?
    It must be the water...... I never drink the stuff as I know what fish do in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It must be the water...... I never drink the stuff as I know what fish do in it.
    Straight from the fish, right into the bushmills. Full of omega 3

Straight from the fish, right into the bushmills. Full of omega 3

Ah but it has been evaporated off. Alcohol evaporates at about 70C. Fish pish at 100C. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

James McKinney back to Ulster: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/james-mckinney-set-for-ulster-return-1-4875769

I assume that means NOC will be let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Between Jackson, Olding and now McKinney, Ulster will be well stocked with good young and IRISH OHs..

Also has there been any talk of a new contract for Wallace, could be he might not be offered another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Good to see some backup at 10 coming in.

• Advertisement

Fooker wrote: »
    Also has there been any talk of a new contract for Wallace, could be he might not be offered another one?

Contract talks won't happen until the recovery period is more clear probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Certainly not upset to see McKinney coming back to Ulster, but maybe he could've done with another year abroad?

I'd heard he was coming back and then that he was going to France but glad to see him come back. I guess Ulster think Jackson will be No.22 for Ireland next season which means he will miss a few games. Obviously Pienaar will miss a few games due to SA commitments and we know he doesn't like playing 10 so McKinney will get lots of games. I'd love to know where Ulster see Olding's future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Yea id love to see him nailed down to a main position... Versatility is good but that lad will be a right proposition if he settles somewhere (I mean at international level too nevermind provincial)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

I'd love to know where Ulster see Olding's future.

Me too. It's early days but he's definitely looked best at inside centre to me. Which I have to admit I find a tiny wee bit annoying given that other freshfaced blondie haired player who's spent the season making that shirt his. If Marshall wasn't around I'd be keen to see Olding starting in the Rabo games at 12 and further developing his skills ASAP. Feel he may be shunted around a few different positions for a while...

• Advertisement

MolBee wrote: »

Me too. It's early days but he's definitely looked best at inside centre to me. Which I have to admit I find a tiny wee bit annoying given that other freshfaced blondie haired player who's spent the season making that shirt his. If Marshall wasn't around I'd be keen to see Olding starting in the Rabo games at 12 and further developing his skills ASAP. Feel he may be shunted around a few different positions for a while...

I could see him at 13 but thebmn Farrell is coming through too and Cave is only 25 or 26 himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

So much talent coming through in the backs at the moment, very promising for the next few years.

Hopefully a few forwards in the pipeline soon other than just IH.

Always been impressed with McKinney. Solid solid player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Ulster flanker Stephen Ferris is considering a possible move to a Japanese club at the end of the season.
    The injury-plagued forward's IRFU contract expires on 30 June and a number of oversees clubs are interested in signing the Ireland player.
    This includes an unnamed club from Japan, but Ferris has had no formal negotiations with any party to date.
    Meanwhile, Andrew Trimble is expected to a sign a new two-year contract this week which will keep him at Ulster.
    Ferris has struggled with injury in recent years and the 27-year-old will miss the rest of the season after having a second operation on an ankle problem.
    He was selected for the 2009 British and Irish Lions squad but, after making a brilliant early impression in South Africa, suffered a knee injury which ended his tour.
    He also missed the 2011 Six Nations campaign and last November's internationals because of injury.

BBC

The idea of Ferris playing on a pitch where the average physique is that of Shane Williams' is positively hilarious.

Takeshi's Castle levels of bizarreness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Watching SBW playing in Japan was bizarre enough. Ferris would be like some sort of unstoppable rampaging bull

The idea of Ferris playing on a pitch where the average physique is that of Shane Williams' is positively hilarious.

Softer rugby lower injury risk. He may also be able to slim a little since a cause of his injuries may (and I'm no expert) be that he has carrying too much weight for his structure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Presumably IRFU not offering much given his injury problems. Perhaps he suspects he only has a couple of years left.

As in the Johnny Sexton case, now is pretty much the best possible chance Ferris has to get away and get some money / recovery time and still be able to come back for the next World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fezilla.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Say it ain't so! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Would playing in Japan rule him out of 6N?

Would playing in Japan rule him out of 6N?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

checked out the Jap "Top League" and the games seem to be played Sep-Jan. With playoffs last season in Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fez moving would obviously be bad for Ulster but it may do him some good in the long run - a year contract playing relatively low-level rugby and a small amount of games might do his body some good and possibly get back to full fitness. It may mean we get a few more miles out of him when he does come back.

But it's Ferris!

After the HEC quarter final last year I think thomond described us as "14 men and a demon". :D

Henderson looks like he could be the second coming of Ferris, hopefully demonic possession included. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Teferi wrote: »
    Fez moving would obviously be bad for Ulster but it may do him some good in the long run - a year contract playing relatively low-level rugby and a small amount of games might do his body some good and possibly get back to full fitness. It may mean we get a few more miles out of him when he does come back.

He'll not be back. If hes in Asia he'll have more interaction with the ANZAC brigade and if he gets a sniff of a pension tour option down south, he'll be away till he hangs up the boots.....

Its a shame to happen, we never saw the best of Ferris due to his long layoffs, and now there are conveyors of No.6s in his image looking for the shirt at both Ulster and Ireland, although not yet at his level.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

I wonder how long this has been known and if it influenced the surprising decision to sign up O'Mahony..

• Advertisement

Fooker wrote: »
    I wonder how long this has been known and if it influenced the surprising decision to sign up O'Mahony..

whatever about the merits or otherwise of POM getting a national contract, I think offering Ferris the same terms as before would be a mistake. Obviously Ferris and his representatives aren't happy with a reduced IRFU offer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement