Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Horrible start for ulster Northampton try 7-0

:D any links?,cheers in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

:D any links?,cheers in advance.
    this one is decent

http://www.justin.tv/twomintpork1#/w/1065967072

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

thanks very much,decent but no more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

lologram wrote: »
    And Jamie Smyth goes to the Dragons.
    Any idea why he left? Was he getting no gametime at all?

theKramer wrote: »
    He definitely wasn't getting much game time, with Payne coming in he was going to move down the pecking order so it is the right decision for him to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

theKramer wrote: »

Got injured early in the season IIRC and that gave D'Arcy the chance to nail down the shirt. Think he only back fit recently.

It's the right decision by him to leave, as Ciaran says. Poor Martyn Thomas broke his leg again so Smith will get a run of games in the 15 shirt for the Dragons (assuming he's been signed to play fullback).

It's the right decision by him to leave, as Ciaran says. Poor Martyn Thomas broke his leg again so Smith will get a run of games in the 15 shirt for the Dragons (assuming he's been signed to play fullback).
    Thats the second time Thomas has broken that leg, I beleive that Dragon's will be playing a winger at 15 for the next while so I presume that Smith has been signed to step into that position.

Does anyone know Diack's height the Ulster site says 6"4 and 6"6 in different spots on the one page

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/ulster_first_team.php?player=78138&includeref=dynamic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Was really impressed with Paddy McAllister again tonight. I know Wright is working his way back to full fitness but McAllister had him bet up a stick in a few scrums.

He's going to put real pressure on Cian Healy in the near future if he continues to improve as he has this season.

Agreed, I think McAllister has serious potential. He's very mobile considering his size, and if he gets a decent run next season with Botha gone, (Court moving to TH?) he could definitely be squeezing Healy for an Irish berth.

Definitely a problem I'd be happy to have as Irish coach!

McAllister will get a run of games during the World Cup to cement a place. Hopefully then he'll be a good position to compete with Court and Afoa for a place.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/13129071.stm

Ulster are set to be without injured pair Andrew Trimble and Paddy Wallace for the remainder of the season as both players have suffered fractured thumbs.

The duo will undergo surgery and are likely to be out of action for up to six weeks, ruling them out of Ulster's upcoming Magners League fixtures.

BJ Botha is very doubtful for Friday night's game against Connacht as he awaits the results of an MRI scan on a knee injury sustained against Leinster.

Ian Humphreys and Tom Court are fit.

Humphreys came off injured during the second half of the defeat by Leinster while Court withdrew from the game late on, citing a mild concussion suffered during the Heineken Cup loss to Northampton.
    South African second row Johann Muller returns to the squad after a leg injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ulster are set to be without injured pair Andrew Trimble and Paddy Wallace for the remainder of the season as both players have suffered fractured thumbs.

The duo will undergo surgery and are likely to be out of action for up to six weeks, ruling them out of Ulster's upcoming Magners League fixtures.

BJ Botha is very doubtful for Friday night's game against Connacht as he awaits the results of an MRI scan on a knee injury sustained against Leinster.

You would have to worry for Ulster's play off prospects. They've some excellent players to come in to the back line but they'll face a massive challenge to come through a match like the Dragons in Dave Parade without the old heads. It's a tough place to go at the best of times.

Botha isn't worth it for them at this stage. Ridiculously injury prone all season. This will be Ulster's 28th game of the season. He has started only 12. I'm beginning to think that the acquisition of Afoa for them and losing Botha is a blessing in disguise given his advancing age and injury haunted season.

It looks like they'll have to play Whitten at 12 for the rest of the season, Luke Marshall is unfortunately also injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It looks like they'll have to play Whitten at 12 for the rest of the season, Luke Marshall is unfortunately also injured.

I've always thought Darren Cave is an excellent player, lots of injuries but could do a decent job for them. Ulster only have to hold it together for another two games then into knockout stages.

I've always thought Darren Cave is an excellent player, lots of injuries but could do a decent job for them. Ulster only have to hold it together for another two games then into knockout stages.

Don't like to say it but, at this moment in time, and given the respective run ins, I think Ulster might be pipped and miss out on the play offs. Can see them taking 5 points from their remaining games, Osprey taking 6 and possibly more depending on the team Munster put out against them and Cardiff could very well take up to 9 from their last 3 games. If they finish on the same points and number of wins as Cardiff or Ospreys, they'll miss out due to their inferior points difference. Hope I'm wrong and they manage a win in Newport but it's a very tricky place to win. Only 2 teams have managed it all season thus far.

Ian Humphreys and Tom Court are fit.

Humphreys came off injured during the second half of the defeat by Leinster while Court withdrew from the game late on, citing a mild concussion suffered during the Heineken Cup loss to Northampton.
    South African second row Johann Muller returns to the squad after a leg injury.

****:(

Does anyone think we will see an ulster backline of
    9 Pienaar
    10 Humphries
    11 Gilroy
    12 Spence
    13 Cave
    14 Danieli
    15 D'arcy

for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

That's one brutal thumb war:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

GerM wrote: »
    Don't like to say it but, at this moment in time, and given the respective run ins, I think Ulster might be pipped and miss out on the play offs. Can see them taking 5 points from their remaining games, Osprey taking 6 and possibly more depending on the team Munster put out against them and Cardiff could very well take up to 9 from their last 3 games. If they finish on the same points and number of wins as Cardiff or Ospreys, they'll miss out due to their inferior points difference. Hope I'm wrong and they manage a win in Newport but it's a very tricky place to win. Only 2 teams have managed it all season thus far.

Cardiff are capable of winning all 3 of their remaining games beginning with a bp win tonight against Treviso and I think Ospreys could well pick up 9 points from their 2 remaining games. This would mean Ulster winning with a BP at home to Connacht and winning at Dragons which is within their reach especially if Dragons lose at Edinburgh and Scarlets win against Glasgow as that would put Dragons out of the hunt for a HC place. So it's possible but Ospreys getting a bp win at home to Munster makes it more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

You would have to worry for Ulster's play off prospects. They've some excellent players to come in to the back line but they'll face a massive challenge to come through a match like the Dragons in Dave Parade without the old heads. It's a tough place to go at the best of times.

Botha isn't worth it for them at this stage. Ridiculously injury prone all season. This will be Ulster's 28th game of the season. He has started only 12. I'm beginning to think that the acquisition of Afoa for them and losing Botha is a blessing in disguise given his advancing age and injury haunted season.

:) Clever , that was a really good episode. Muller is the glue in that team, they can live without Wallace and Trimble against the likes of Connacht and Dragons.

Ulster Team v Connacht (Magners League, Ravenhill, Friday 22nd April, kick-off 7.05pm)
    (15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, S Danielli; I Humphreys, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): P McAllister, R Best (capt), J Cronin, J Muller, D Tuohy, C Henry, W Faloon, P Wannenburg;
    Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, B Young, A Macklin, T Barker, R Diack, P Marshall, I Whitten, C Gaston.

Will be very interesting to see how the front row goes. They looked pretty decent against Leinster. Big game for Cronin. Botha out with a damaged medial ligament. The Leinster game could possibly have been the last time we see him in Ulster colours unfortunately. Hope Ulster and Botha prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It's been a catastrophic season for some players and the team with savage injuries.

We've lost Pollock and Cunningham completely to injury forced retirement.
    Ferris and Botha for half the season or more.
    Trimble twice to bone breaks and now Wallace.
    We lost Macklin and Cave for most of the season.
    Luke Marshall for 12 weeks.
    Rory Best for 10 weeks.
    Tuohy for about 10 weeks.
    Diack for 14 weeks.
    Humphreys has missed 10 weeks all told also through injury.
    Court has been out quite a few times.
    Deccie Fitz has lost over half of the season.
    Danielli for 5 or 6 weeks.
    Add in the normal run of bruises and niggles that have kept others out from time to time and it's been a shocker. Perhaps it helps put in perspective the poor results and indifferent play. It also shows the chance you take running with the smallest squad in the ML.

So. For large chunks or in some cases most of the season, of our starting / front line players we were without,
    Pollock, Cunningham, Ferris, Best, Botha, Court, Humphreys, Danielli,Trimble, Fitzpartrick, Diack and Tuohy. The replacements have been largely forgettable. Why so many injuries I wonder. Some bad luck but........

Big game for Cronin.
    Cronin doesn't have a contract yet for next season I beleive. This could be his chance to nail down a slot for next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Cronin doesn't have a contract yet for next season I beleive. This could be his chance to nail down a slot for next season

Eh? He's signed for Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

danthefan wrote: »

Jerry Cronin I think he's referring to.

J.Cronin (Ulster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Silly me, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

jacothelad wrote: »
    It's been a catastrophic season for some players and the team with savage injuries.

We've lost Pollock and Cunningham completely to injury forced retirement.
    Ferris and Botha for half the season or more.
    Trimble twice to bone breaks and now Wallace.
    We lost Macklin and Cave for most of the season.
    Luke Marshall for 12 weeks.
    Rory Best for 10 weeks.
    Tuohy for about 10 weeks.
    Court has been out quite a few times.
    Deccie Fitz has lost over half of the season.
    Danielli for 5 or 6 weeks.
    Add in the normal run of bruises and niggles that have kept others out from time to time and it's been a shocker. Perhaps it helps put in perspective the poor results and indifferent play. It also shows the chance you take running with the smallest squad in the ML.

That's some list of injured players, have Ulster a smaller player pool than Connacht?

Fair play to Ulster for getting into the top 8 of the H/C and could still make the top 4 of the ML.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    That's some list of injured players, have Ulster a smaller player pool than Connacht?

Fair play to Ulster for getting into the top 8 of the H/C and could still make the top 4 of the ML.
    I know for next season Ulster will only have 33 contracted professionals and 15 academy players, thats the total after further signings and academy players still to be promoted

I think Connacht have a bigger squad
    I meant Jerry Cronin, he is a good enough player who is probably fighting for the 6th or 7th prop contract up in Ulster for next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Told you! Cave was probably the best player on the pitch tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Told you! Cave was probably the best player on the pitch tonight

TBH, I thought it was poor game from both side but Jonny O'Connor was my MOTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I know for next season Ulster will only have 33 contracted professionals and 15 academy players, thats the total after further signings and academy players still to be promoted

I think Connacht have a bigger squad

I meant Jerry Cronin, he is a good enough player who is probably fighting for the 6th or 7th prop contract up in Ulster for next season

Connacht have a bigger squad ? First I've heard of it.

Connacht have a bigger squad ? First I've heard of it.
    How many contracted players do Connacht have?

I would be surprised if it is less than 33.

I couldn't really tell you, the only reason I keep mentioning 33 in regards to Ulster is that Humpries and Logan have both announced that Ulster will have 33 contracted players for next season.

BTW I'm talking about number of contracted players when I talk about squad size, not academy players who can make the step up or AIL players who are brought into to play fringe rolls or anything like that but contracted professionals

How many contracted players do Connacht have?

I would be surprised if it is less than 33.

I couldn't really tell you, the only reason I keep mentioning 33 in regards to Ulster is that Humpries and Logan have both announced that Ulster will have 33 contracted players for next season.

BTW I'm talking about number of contracted players when I talk about squad size, not academy players who can make the step up or AIL players who are brought into to play fringe rolls or anything like that but contracted professionals

We currently have about 27/28 full time professionals for this current season. That's been whittled down 2 because Conor O' Loughlin and Robbie Morris retired mid season

We had 3 props on 3 month contracts, Dylan Rogers, Barry Fa'amasuili and Rob Sweeney. That was a good while back and those contracts weren't renewed.

O'Halloran, Griffin, Dermot Murphy, Fanning, Monahan and Nolan are all on development contracts afaik so they don't count as full time professionals.

Ulster are still in the market for 4/5 players and a few of their academy/development players will have their contracts upgraded to professional next year (like Griffin for next year at Connacht). That 33 could go up to 40 when Ulster are finished handing out contracts.

We currently have about 27/28 full time professionals for this current season. That's been whittled down 2 because Conor O' Loughlin and Robbie Morris retired mid season

We had 3 props on 3 month contracts, Dylan Rogers, Barry Fa'amasuili and Rob Sweeney. That was a good while back and those contracts weren't renewed.

O'Halloran, Griffin, Dermot Murphy, Fanning, Monahan and Nolan are all on development contracts afaik so they don't count as full time professionals.

Ulster are still in the market for 4/5 players and a few of their academy/development players will have their contracts upgraded to professional next year (like Griffin for next year at Connacht). That 33 could go up to 40 when Ulster are finished handing out contracts.
    Its less than 33 at the moment, 33 is what was announced would be the total number of contracts given out for next season.

I'm surprised that Connacht have less simply because I didn't think it would be possible to run a team with that small a pool of players. Below is Ulsters list of contracted players for next season, I doubt there will be another signing but P Jackson, Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy to be promoted to full (or development) contracts

FR: McAllister, Black, Afoa, Court, Fitz
    H: Best, Brady, Kyriacou
    SR: Muller, Barker, Tuohy, Stevenson, McComb
    BR: Ferris, Diack, Wannenberg, Henry, Faloon, McComish
    SH: Pienaar, Marshall
    OH: Humphreys
    C: Wallace, Whitten, Cave, Spence
    W: Danielli, Trimble
    FB: Payne, D'Arcy

We should have a bigger squad than we usually have next season given the promises by the IRFU

Contracted players for next year

FR: Ah You, Wilkinson, Maguire, Loughney
    H : Flavin, Reyneke
    SR: Swift, McCarthy, Browne
    BR: O'Connor, Muldoon, Naoupu, Grace, Anderson, McKeown, Ofisa
    OH: O'Connor, Jarvis, Nikora
    SH: Murphy, Moore, O'Donoghue
    C : Matthews, Griffin
    W: McCrea, Tuohy, Loxton, Vainikolo
    FB: Duffy

That's 29 so far. We're still in the market for a centre and we could probably do with 2 to be honest. I'm sure we're also in the market for a 2nd row and 1 if not 2 props

Depends who signs on again for next year. The likes of Troy Nathan, Shane Monahan and Darragh Fanning haven't signed yet, and not sure whether their contract will be renewed. Also, Danny Qualter and Tiernan O'Halloran may get full contracts next year if they're not snapped by anyone else. Talk of Munster after O'Halloran

Upton, Taylor and Ta'auso are likely to be on the way out

Benson Stanley is not a done deal, and a long way from being a done deal I'd say. Wouldn't be surprised if we snapped up Bryan Young if Ulster don't renew his contract.

We do need a bigger squad for next season, as we've barely been getting by over the last few season and if we're in the Heineken Cup we'll need a bit of rotation.

I know redevelopment of Ravenhill was announced a few months back but does anyone know when it will take place?

edit just found a source saying that after next season the ends will be done and the third stand will be done at a later date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 test4444

6th or 7th choice?
    Listing all Props who played for Ulster this year, leaving out Botha and Young who are leaving adding in Afoa you have:

1) Afoa
    2) Court
    3) McAllister
    4) FitzPatrick
    5) Cronin
    6) Macklin (Not sure he played for the Senior team this season)

test4444 wrote: »
    6th or 7th choice?
    Listing all Props who played for Ulster this year, leaving out Botha and Young who are leaving adding in Afoa you have:

New signing callum black would be rated ahead of Cronin, Black can play both sides, also I hope that next season is the season that Macklin step up and plays in order to properly develop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Ferris just tweeted he might be playing before seasons end.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Ferris just tweeted he might be playing before seasons end.
    and ulster might make the ML final, probably the same odds

IE I heard a few weeks ago that he should be able to play in the end of may so if Ulster get that far he will technically play before the end of the season

Neil Francis on the breakdown just claimed that Pienaar isn't coming back to Ulster after the WC

Anyone hear anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He was right about something a couple of weeks ago too, but I've actually forgotten what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He was right about something a couple of weeks ago too, but I've actually forgotten what it was.

He told some one the time perhaps.

McLaughlin getting the nod ahead of Jenno a day or two ahead of the team being announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ruan was approached by either Sale or Bath. (always get the two mixed up!)

It's true, and it's fairly common knowledge, so not surprised Franno got his hands in it. Very surprised noone else did.

Don't think the team are too concerned about him leaving. The Saffers aren't just in Ulster for rugby reasons, I don't think he'll leave unless he's being offered something fairly special.

Pienaar is on a 2 year deal anyway so it would require Ulster releasing him from the remaining time on his contract which they simply won't do given how valuable he has been this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pienaar is on a 2 year deal anyway so it would require Ulster releasing him from the remaining time on his contract which they simply won't do given how valuable he has been this season.
    There is a negotiated release clause.

If there wasn't, then the approach that was made to him would be illegal. As it is at the moment, the board are aware of the discussions, and that would suggest to me that there is something in his contract that allows him to leave if certain criteria are met.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement