Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

The IRFU have requested he gets more game time at 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RuPi wrote: »
    The IRFU have requested he gets more game time at 13.

Hopefully the response from Ulster was, "let us offer Ruan a new 2 year contract and we will think about it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I it might be both parties interest... but none of us know for sure who requested what in fairness.

That's akin to the Rob Kearney/Isa thing. A lot of people thought the IRFU were meddling there, but in reality it was all about getting the best players on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Bear in mind that Payne played 13 in Ulster's first pre-season game last season as well. So I don't think you can read too much into the selection.

Hagz wrote: »
    Bear in mind that Payne played 13 in Ulster's first pre-season game last season as well. So I don't think you can read too much into the selection.

I reckon that for now it's more to do with Anscombe and Doak etc wanting to have a look at options at full back. Nelson is potentially a very good player but is still a bit green and while he got a bit of stick a couple of years ago for his performances on the wing I always thought David McIlwaine looked a decent enough 15 so it will be interesting to see how he has developed in England over the last two years. But with D'Arcy gone these guys need a run.

Maybe the IRFU will want Payne to play 13 but there isn't a major rush for it at the moment, maybe he will pop up there a handful of times this season but it will be this time next year when it will become more of an issue.

So, how many are expected at the game tonight? I heard the current capacity is 10k and it's sold out? I need to be back in the city centre for 9.30, will there be taxis at the grounds considering it's a pre-season game?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 farrell2121

Not familiar with Belfast City. Was thinking of using the Park n Ride Facility from
    Montgomery Road to Stadium. Just wondering what parking facilities are like around
    Montgomery Road on a Friday evening.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    So, how many are expected at the game tonight? I heard the current capacity is 10k and it's sold out? I need to be back in the city centre for 9.30, will there be taxis at the grounds considering it's a pre-season game?

028 90 33 33 33

That's the Fonacab phone number, phone them at ravenhill and you'll have a taxi within 2 minutes and back to the city centre will cost you 3 or 4 quid max.

awec wrote: »
    028 90 33 33 33

That's the Fonacab phone number, phone them at ravenhill and you'll have a taxi within 2 minutes and back to the city centre will cost you 3 or 4 quid max.

Gent, thanks!

• Advertisement

Good question, usually if I am taxiing rather than driving I hang around the beer tent for an hour or so so I always just order a taxi. Your best bet may be to order the taxi in advance of the game for about 9.10-9.15 and that should get you into town in time. Maybe get it to pick you up 5 or 10 mins walk from the ground as well. Maybe the garage (Shell?) on Ladas Drive.

Cool. Will try with that number awec gave. Cheers.

You might need to change the 028 at the start to 004428, not sure.

Fonacab / valuecabs are very good - far better than the black taxis.

awec wrote: »
    You might need to change the 028 at the start to 004428, not sure.

Fonacab / valuecabs are very good - far better than the black taxis.

Yep I'd need to add the international prefix. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

There are taxi ranks for fonacab directly outside ravenhill. You wont need to call

Fonacab are a sponsor so they should be there, friendly or not... I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep I'd need to add the international prefix. Cheers.

No no no....don't use the international prefix - just use 048 instead of 028.

When i used to ring home years ago i always used 0044 until the guy in the phone shop told me it was a premium expense number. 048 is counted as a regional number and so the cost is the same as calling donegal/cork/wexford etc.

Actually sorry.......if you are using your southern phone in NI then the 028 should work ok.

• Advertisement

Handy to know! Cheers!

Posts moved to off-topic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tac4271

Hopefully see a good few Big Nick and Payne tries like those this season.

Really interesting selection for Ulster tomorrow against Leicester.

13 Luke Marshall
    12 Chris Farrell

The interesting call being Marshall at 13. On fact either way it would be fascinating to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've been looking for more of Marshall at 13 for a while now. Since his game there on the way back from injury last season. Hopefully we'll see it in a big game. Could be the best use of resources for both Ulster and Ireland.

I just hope this combo is tried at some point during the season.

13. Olding
    12. Marshall

I just hope this combo is tried at some point during the season.

13. Olding
    12. Marshall

I would think it'll be the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Whatever way around the two play, I would imagine that is Ulsters first choice centre combination.

I would think it'll be the other way around.

I think so, yeah, but I think Marshall's strengths are at 12 and Olding on paper could make an amazing 13 - lovely outside break, great hands, isn't going to punch many holes at 12 and is probably the faster of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It'll be interesting who becomes Ulster's first choice 13 then, Cave, Olding and Payne are all options. Great to see lots of talent in the back line coming through.

I think so, yeah, but I think Marshall's strengths are at 12 and Olding on paper could make an amazing 13 - lovely outside break, great hands, isn't going to punch many holes at 12 and is probably the faster of the two.

I would say the opposite. I think they'll want to keep Olding closer to the breakdown as he's the better first receiver and Marshall is the better defender.

I would say the opposite. I think they'll want to keep Olding closer to the breakdown as he's the better first receiver and Marshall is the better defender.

I just like my inside centers to be bigger lumps. I know outside channel is harder to defend, but that doesn't translate into bigger hits. Generally speaking a lot of teams will send a lot of traffic down the 10/12 channel, that's where I'd want my bigger unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Leicester's Toby Flood taken to hospital after head injury

Last Updated: Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 17:49 UK

Leicester and England fly half Toby Flood required hospital treatment after taking a blow to the head during a pre-season game against Ulster on Saturday.

The 28-year-old Tigers captain suffered the injury in the 10th minute as a result of being struck in the face by second row Dan Tuohy, who was sin-binned for the offence.

Flood lay motionless on the ground and required oxygen as the game was stopped for 12 minutes.

The injury gives director of rugby Richard Cockerill cause for concern as the Tigers open their Aviva Premiership campaign against Worcester Warriors next Sunday.

I saw a tweet from a few minutes ago and thankfully the stretcher/bracing seem to have been precautionary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What exactly does "struck in the face" mean does anyone know?

Was it a punch? Or a forearm in the act of a hand off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

CatFromHue wrote: »

Ulster Rugby ‏@UlsterRugby 5h
    Tigers 0 Ulster 0 after 15 mins. Game stopped due to an injury to Toby Flood when he attempted to tackle Dan Tuohy. Solid start.

From twitter...

Tuohy went led with the forearm.

INPHO_00731325.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

He's done that before and caused damage to a player.Hopefully he'll cop on and keep his arm a bit lower from now on.

CatFromHue wrote: »

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ulster Rugby ‏@UlsterRugby 5h
    Tigers 0 Ulster 0 after 15 mins. Game stopped due to an injury to Toby Flood when he attempted to tackle Dan Tuohy. Solid start.

From twitter...

From Twitter
    Ulster Rugby ‏@UlsterRugby 6h Game restarted after a 15 min delay. Flood replaced by Ryan Lamb with Dan Tuohy yellow carded for the use of his forearm. #suftum

Tuohy went led with the forearm.

Is leading with the forearm illegal when you you're on a run and in pocession of the ball?

I've seen players steamrolled before by something similar and no penalty awarded, maybe the height is taken into account.

phog wrote: »
    Is leading with the forearm illegal when you you're on a run and in pocession of the ball?

I've seen players steamrolled before by something similar and no penalty awarded, maybe the height is taken into account.

It really depends on the circumstance. As you said I think height is the major factor. You can't fend with your forearm in the same vein you would your hand, but plenty of players use their non carrying forearm to shield off tacklers who are going low i.e. the typical Tuilagi 'don't argue'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

It really depends on the circumstance. As you said I think height is the major factor. You can't fend with your forearm in the same vein you would your hand, but plenty of players use their non carrying forearm to shield off tacklers who are going low i.e. the typical Tuilagi 'don't argue'.

I think the height that counted in this case is that it was a second row against a smaller opponent.

shuffol wrote: »
    I think the height that counted in this case is that it was a second row against a smaller opponent.

Well Flood isn't going low and Tuohy looks like he fends rather than shields.

I think after an incident in England where a player lost an eye that fends were not to be used above the neck area, a duty of care is required.

• Advertisement

Can players be cited in friendlies.

Tuohy seems to do this a lot, I don't think it's malicious but I guess that doesn't matter.

Anyway the important thing is that Flood is ok.

Disappointing if not altogether unsurprising result.

Next weekend can't come quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Here's where he did it in the Canada match last summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlyANodweM&feature=player_detailpage#t=4373

I think after an incident in England where a player lost an eye that fends were not to be used above the neck area, a duty of care is required.

You can definitley fend the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Here's where he did it in the Canada match last summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlyANodweM&feature=player_detailpage#t=4373

That can't be legal, a forearm to the face?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Looks like a closed fisted as well which doesn't make it look any better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

You can definitley fend the face.

Only with the palm of your hand. Using your forearm or closed fist is a penalty.

Always hard to tell from a still photo but that looks pretty damming against Tuohy.

• Advertisement

Only with the palm of your hand. Using your forearm or closed fist is a penalty.

Of course

Someone led with the forearm on me last season in a game and caught me in the mouth, I needed four stitches and had to make do with sucking cold soup out of a straw for 10 days, I gave out to the lad who did it to me only for him to say that I should learn to tackle properly!! I have to confess that I chuckled a bit at his witty response even though I thought he was a bit of c***!

Anyway it is something referees should have a look out for because very often players get away with it. Mouth injuries are nothing more than an inconvenience, what happened to Flood could have been serious no matter of the intent on Tuohy's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

How did Chris Farrrell & Luke Marshall do as a centre partnership & individually?

It should really be illegal to use the palm of your hand as well. You could easilly break someone's nose or the like. Although I've never seen anything too bad come out of it myself and mostly people are fine with it.

In my first year at senior level I was on the end of one and by the time I had gotten back up we'd conceded a try. One of my worst ever performances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

The fact that Leicester would need to lodge a complaint for any citing to happen probably means he'll get away without sanction.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement