Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Image of a live server

• 10-01-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

Need to take an image of a live server (Win 2003). Anybody been through this before? Any issues? What software did you use?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

VMware vCenter Converter will let you do a live snapshoot of a Server running most current OS's.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

That software only appears to be about converting physical images into VMware compatible disc images, not about backing up/restoring physical images. I'm open to correction on it, but that's my understanding.

Acronis True Image Server (not free AFAIK) will do what you want. I've been using True Image Home on the PC here for over a year doing live backups and it's done it's job great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Thanks guys, I had been looking at Acronis but its cost prohibitive. I was just looking to take an image of a Win 2003 Server before its upgraded to 2008 incase it all went pear shaped. Ordinarily I'd just backup the files off the server. Looks like it might be a sunday night job then if it has too be shutdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

When you're upgrading you'll have to shut it down/take it offline.

So while it's down factor in some program like Clonezilla to image the hard drive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

When you're upgrading you'll have to shut it down/take it offline.

So while it's down factor in some program like Clonezilla to image the hard drive :)

The plan was to do an In-place upgrade (hate upgrading, I'd rather a fresh install) but have now been given auth for another server so happy days. So no upgrade, fresh install and redundancy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

never used it, but drive image xml does live imaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

macrium reflect is best to take image of live server and disk snap is another option,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I can't believe that I am recommending something from Symantec but BESR (Backup Exec System Restore) is working pretty well for my current client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

+1 for Acronis

They have a 15 day trial on most of their products - Thats should be enough to cover you.

See: http://kb.acronis.com/content/2768

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NTBACKUP - do full system state and system drive as one backup and do data seperatly

you can then do a fresh install of windows on another machine and restore overt the top , might not be as fast as restoring an image BUT you can restore to different hardware if you choose the option to not overwrite existing files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Drive Snapshot - Cheap , have used it for years and have about 40 servers backing up with it every night using differenital backup , I have images for the last 31 days of each server , :)

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/down.htm

I also use disk2vhd to virutalise server's and create images nightly on critical servers

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

you have to check the software limitations as some "cloning" programs doesn't like dynamic disks or various "flavours" of RAID cards/controllers...

so check first what reqs needs the software and if they apply to your hardware !
    good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

never used it, but drive image xml does live imaging.

Have used this countless times, works quiet well we bought 5 licenses.
    Couple of extra steps needed when restoring to a <NT6.0 box mind.

Advertisement