Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odor Meters?

• 10-01-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I'd get a meter that will read all kinds of odors and about how much also would a radon gas meter do for all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Could you possibly rephrase the question? I'm not really sure what you're after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

A meter that takes odor readings whats so complicated about the original post if I may ask?

francie81 wrote: »
    A meter that takes odor readings whats so complicated about the original post if I may ask?
    I don't know what you mean by an odour reading. I'm trying to establish what an odour reading is so I can determine the most appropriate forum for your thread (I'm pretty sure this isn't it).

I mean something that picks up volumes of smells like radon gas in a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

francie81 wrote: »
    I mean something that picks up volumes of smells like radon gas in a house?

Radon gas doesn't smell, that's why it hangs around enough to give you lung cancer.

• Advertisement

Crasp wrote: »
    Radon gas doesn't smell, that's why it hangs around enough to give you lung cancer.

Ok well then just tell me if am out of luck here because we have a kerosene type of odor going through our house from time to time which i believe is coming from next door neighbour's oil heating system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_detector

I'm not aware of any specific odour meter but maybe something that measures the presence of flammable gases.

OP, I think your best bet for more specific advice is the DIY forum.

Moved from S&EI.

EDIT: I probably should have changed the title before I moved it. Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Volatile Organic Compounds can be measured (qualitative and quatitative) with various devices. For a cheap first hand DIY reading device you could check the www. for the company " Draeger ". There are many others as well.

But if you have a permanent present air pollution with VOCs your place isn't suitable for habitation anyhow. Find and stop the source first, then meassure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Another route you could take is if the 'odours' are a 'gas' type odour and are in an enclosed area, you could use an oxygen detector or oxygen depletion monitor...

Mike.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    OP, I think your best bet for more specific advice is the DIY forum.

Moved from S&EI.

EDIT: I probably should have changed the title before I moved it. Oops.

Ok thanks I'll take it from there.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice your on the same track to what am after but its a kerosene/oil type of smell as I say not sure if gas meter would pick that up.

Advertisement