Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squirrel Returns Again and Again for hand-fed snacks

• 10-01-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Boston MA:

This particular chubby squirrel has been coming to my back door for a few days now. He waits on the deck until I see him, then approaches me when I go outside.

EVERY SINGLE other squirrel that I have ever seen/encountered runs from humans. Not this one. He begs for snacks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

A flat I shared in South London we had a Squirral that taped on the kitchen window every morning for his slice of toast, would get very irate if you didn't open the window and give hime a piece.

We drew the line at buttering it for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Wow, very cute...but hes one chubby squirrel alright.

On a serious note. Sandals with socks???!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Cute!! He's knows he's on to a good thing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McKuntmissioner

anniehoo wrote: »
    Wow, very cute...but hes one chubby squirrel alright.

On a serious note. Sandals with socks???!!!:D

I know, huge mistake. Let me explain...

I saw my little buddy through the window, and hurried out. I slipped into my sandals because they were quicker than shoes, figuring no one would ever know. Of course, the squirrel has other ideas, bringing my stockinged and sandaled feet into the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

I used to hand-feed several squirrels in my backyard when I lived on Cape Cod, they became very demanding and cheeky but I was wicked fond of them all the same...

• Advertisement

Guess who's back...

a.jpg
    aa-1.jpg
    flyingsquirrel.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:eek: He's HUGE!!!!!!!

anniehoo wrote: »
    :eek: He's HUGE!!!!!!!
    That's partially my fault, for feeding him. Now, he returns daily and is no longer afraid of my cat Zeuss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

awh! can I have him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Me thinks this is how dogs became domesticated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Great picture of the cat eyeing lunch. LOL very cool story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Strolling through Kensington Gardens last time I was in London I saw an elderly man sitting on a bench feeding 3 or 4 squirrels who were perched on his legs and shoulders. He told me he'd been feeding them for years and it didn't take them long to become friendly and unafraid.

He comes back pretty much every afternoon. This past Thursday, I brought a handful of peanuts outside, and he came and went 9 times until i ran out of nuts.

I love this little guy.

theghost wrote: »
    Strolling through Kensington Gardens last time I was in London I saw an elderly man sitting on a bench feeding 3 or 4 squirrels who were perched on his legs and shoulders. He told me he'd been feeding them for years and it didn't take them long to become friendly and unafraid.

I have a feeling that I wasn't the first person to domesticate this squirrel. He just happened to find the right person who responds to being stared at by cute little animals by feeding them.

squirrelchewing.gif
    (Notice the Galway crest on the Toyota's bumper...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

aa-1.jpg

This is the most perfect photographic expression of longing I've ever seen.

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Great vids and pics - he seems really comfortable around humans , I guess he has done this before :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

this is just way too cool,i wish we had squirrels over here,have you tried handling him yet or luring him into your house

CyberJuice wrote: »
    this is just way too cool,i wish we had squirrels over here,have you tried handling him yet or luring him into your house
    He's lets me pet him on the head briefly, while eating a peanut, but once he finishes the nut he moves.

It would be easy to lead him into the house, as he already follows me across the yard, deck, up the steps, etc. But that would be a bad idea, IMO.

Advertisement