Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which of these 2 freesat/ddt combos is best

• 10-01-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

not sure where too post this,but here it goes
    geeting a combo box in next few days ,for freesat sat and irish ddt whith option too record

have looked at all types over last couple of weeks,kinda stuch at moment on two as on budget like most these days,maybe i can get advise from others whi know this better than me ,
    looking at Ferguson HD Ariva Combo Box and Edision Argus VIP2 Combo Receiver

which is better or even better value
    pros and cons as far as recording and watching after wards and even watch either irish ddt or sat while recording tv
    ferguson a little cheaper,,a issue with both boxs here is they dont have Ferguson can't use a 7 day epg,maybe a issue in future,,

is there a combo box out there that has 2 usbs maybe
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'm looking at similar ones myself, would be interested if anyone could suggest a combo box for FreeSat/DTT that has 7 day recording?

One that I'm looking at is the Sagem 500GB HD PVR Freesat with recording, on the page below?
    (not sure why the name of the link below is the Humax, I guess they changed their stock and didn't update the website properly)
    http://satellite.ie/acatalog/Humax_Foxsat_HD_PVR_Freesat_.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i narrowed it down too 2 different brands,the triax combo and qbox hd mini,after talking too some here and friends who do installs and know more than me ,have decided too go for Qbox hd mini,has alot too offer and is open source,has a web browser built in and can view record content like moves ,matchs etc
    my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If the TV has no Irish Digital then you need MHEG5
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/triax-for-saorview

Get a combo with MHEG5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

edanto wrote: »
    I'm looking at similar ones myself, would be interested if anyone could suggest a combo box for FreeSat/DTT that has 7 day recording?

One that I'm looking at is the Sagem 500GB HD PVR Freesat with recording, on the page below?
    (not sure why the name of the link below is the Humax, I guess they changed their stock and didn't update the website properly)
    http://satellite.ie/acatalog/Humax_Foxsat_HD_PVR_Freesat_.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this box is Freesat only and doesn't do Saorview (Dtt) and therefore is not a combo box. We are all waiting for a combo box that will have a 7 day epg for both satellite and Saorview, but apparently it will be a long wait, as there is no market for such a box in the UK, and the Irish market is too small. But fingers crossed anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The qbox mini hd referenced above will do it (once someone copies the relevant part of say the vix image for enigma and ports it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

galtee boy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this box is Freesat only and doesn't do Saorview (Dtt) and therefore is not a combo box. We are all waiting for a combo box that will have a 7 day epg for both satellite and Saorview, but apparently it will be a long wait, as there is no market for such a box in the UK, and the Irish market is too small. But fingers crossed anyway !

Not entirely, the new Triax Saorview Certified combo, while not being "Freesat" on Satellite part might have Internet EPG for Freesat. The MHEG included for Saorview (DTT) might work on Freesat channels. It should be available very shortly. Triax ST-HD537 http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/triax-for-saorview I don't think we will see an "actual" Freesat certified + Saorview certified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

STB wrote: »
    The qbox mini hd referenced above will do it (once someone copies the relevant part of say the vix image for enigma and ports it).

Appreciate the help guys, it's fantastic to have such a knowledgable community here.

Question about the quoted bit - that means the qbox mini HD out of the box won't give 7 day TV guide, but how would an amateur like me do what you've mentioned, is it a question of updating firmware or something from a download?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

will have qbox hd mini next week,will have wifi and tuners all setup
    stb know more about them than me but the specs are good,as far as the triax como goes,yes it be certified but not like the setup menu and i know from 2 suppliers that the new more will be 250 too 260 euros or more and the current one 527ci model is 200 euros ,at least with a qbox running linux you have more options

as they say
    too each there own :D

Advertisement