Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Nightlife

Options
  • 10-01-2011 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm 18, and so are my 3 friends. We're thinking about going to Dublin for a weekend after the leaving cert. Anyone have any good suggestions about where to go for a good night/nights out? Like clubs/pubs, general areas. Were looking for 18-25 age group.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

q bar and 21's are popular among your age group, they are on burgh quay and d'olier street respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

q bar and 21's

Hahahahaha.

Q bar is dirt. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It completely depends on what you're looking for eg. commercial establishment or genre-specific club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The Porterhouse(s) are amazing pubs. Not sure what the age limit is though.

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/templebar.html

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/central.html

chin_grin wrote: »
    The Porterhouse(s) are amazing pubs. Not sure what the age limit is though.

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/templebar.html

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/central.html
    You see, this is the thing. The Poterhouse pubs aren't my scene at all, in fact, they bore me to tears. Fine for a few drinks watching the match, maybe, but I just couldn't see myself spend a night in any of them.

Music would be the focus of my nights out, I'm into electronic music, so Crawdaddy's my usual haunt. But I'm sure it's some peoples' idea of hell. I know some of my friends aren't fond of it at all but they'd happily wander 50m down the road to Coppers, which I can't stand.

So this is why people need to be a little specific when they're looking for somewhere to suit their tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

CavanCrew wrote: »
    Hahahahaha.

Q bar is dirt. :eek:
    +1 to that! worse than Break for the Border imho.

not a massive fan of the porter house either. Fine for a quick drink and a look, but not much beyond that. I listed out a few pubs here before. Some late, some not late. You could easily make a weekend out of all of them, move up Harcourt St or Wexford St later on in the night then. A lot of places in the city centre will be open late on the weekends though.

what weekend did you say you were travelling!? ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pace2008 wrote: »
    So this is why people need to be a little specific when they're looking for somewhere to suit their tastes.

This, people can list off clubs/pubs till their heart's content but none could suit the OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the academy has kickin nights, propaganda/octopussy. bernard shaws then palace too, suite 54 in b rock good spot too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Wait.. after the Leaving Cert?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

The Academy is usually reliable for good nights, as mentioned Propoganda / Octopussy are both great nights, Andrews Lane is also having some good nights right now. No problem finding the 18-21 crowd, just look for wherever is doing the cheapest deals on that particular night.

Are you in to any particular music or will anything do? Could suggest a few places if you're into certain types of music, if it's just regular chart music then once again look for cheapest drinks, guaranteed 18-21 crowd and chart music.

Where are you from by the way? I live in Dublin myself and to be quite honest I'd recommend Galway much more than Dublin for a weekend away type thing, great city with some great clubs. Everything seems to be within 5-10 min walk. Thinking of heading down during the races, could be a great weekend.

• Advertisement

RMD wrote: »
    The Academy is usually reliable for good nights, as mentioned Propoganda / Octopussy are both great nights, Andrews Lane is also having some good nights right now. No problem finding the 18-21 crowd, just look for wherever is doing the cheapest deals on that particular night.
    I ended up in Octopussy there a few weeks ago. It was during one of the mini ice ages and there were **** all places open. Possibly the worst night of the year for me, and I'd say 15-18 would be a more accurate description of the age-bracket that attend.

Propaganda is alright. If you go there a few times you'll realise they play the same setlist week in, week out, but it's a bit of a happy middle ground between people who like completely commercial clubs and people who are more discerning in their musical taste. Reasonable soundsystem as well.

EDIT: Actually, I’m probably centering this too much around my point of view (it still helps to be specific, though!). If you’re in your LC year it’s unlikely you’ll have years of clubbing experience under your belt. Propaganda is a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Propaganda is good. Probably one of the best in my opinion.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I ended up in Octopussy there a few weeks ago. It was during one of the mini ice ages and there were **** all places open. Possibly the worst night of the year for me, and I'd say 15-18 would be a more accurate description of the age-bracket that attend.

Propaganda is alright. If you go there a few times you'll realise they play the same setlist week in, week out, but it's a bit of a happy middle ground between people who like completely commercial clubs and people who are more discerning in their musical taste. Reasonable soundsystem as well.

EDIT: Actually, I’m probably centering this too much around my point of view (it still helps to be specific, though!). If you’re in your LC year it’s unlikely you’ll have years of clubbing experience under your belt. Propaganda is a good shout.

Ye anyone I knew in Octopussy that night were from 17-19 and only saw a similar age bracket. That's going to make no difference to anyone though in 6th year, have to remember that's the right crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 adelarge1

dandellion or the academy would be your best choices.

adelarge1 wrote: »
    dandellion or the academy would be your best choices.

I'll agree on the academy, but from personal experience Dandellion is just full of posh twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dandelion, Coppers, D2 are all over 21's. Not that it's not possible to get in seeing as you're all girls but it's probably not worth wasting time over. Dandelion in particular cares more about where they think you're from than your age. Although you would probably class Dandelion as being too old so doesnt matter. Andrews Lane and Alchemy, Templebar are the best clubs for your age group, both are a bit scene/indie though. There's not a great selection if that's not your thing- you tend to get knackery places then, like Qbar..which can be good but only if you're off your face. I wouldn't recommend 21's at all, hated it even when I was 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

The grand social is 18s or over

the academy is awesome now and its 18 or over,

Friday bigfoot and trainwreck from the Pod Harcourt st, Saturday Hussle in the academy from the button factory and €4 a pint

to get on the cheaplist comment cheaplist for Friday bigfoot and trainwreck on facebook event page and bigfoot is in the academy now(its used be in the the Pod Harcourt st)
    to get on the cheaplist comment cheaplist for Saturday Hussle on facebook event page and Hussle is in the academy now (its used be in the button factory)

cheaplist closes on facebook on 8pm on the night , at the door midnight in the academy

all alcohol drinks are €4 each in the academy

Dandelion, Coppers, D2 are all over 21's. Not that it's not possible to get in seeing as you're all girls but it's probably not worth wasting time over. Dandelion in particular cares more about where they think you're from than your age. Although you would probably class Dandelion as being too old so doesnt matter. Andrews Lane and Alchemy, Templebar are the best clubs for your age group, both are a bit scene/indie though. There's not a great selection if that's not your thing- you tend to get knackery places then, like Qbar..which can be good but only if you're off your face. I wouldn't recommend 21's at all, hated it even when I was 18.

Temple bar nightlcubs are dance floors are tiny and expensive to drink pints are over €5-€7 its depends on club, some nightclub change their prices after midnight around temple bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bogger14

Hi all, not sure if im in the right place but was just wondering if anyone has any experience of bojos35...used to be bojangles im told until recently in harcourt stree, few over 40s (motly single in fairness) heading to Dublin in a few weeks time and looking to visit a few old haunts but im told sachs is no more, any advice would be appreciated

• Advertisement

The grand social is 18s or over and the best is Thursday night with housewerk upstairs ( house music used be in tripod) and provider ( R n b , hip hop music used be in tripod)

The grand social is next to hapenny bridge on liffey street.

to get on the cheaplist comment cheaplist housewerk or provider on facebook event page either one u still get on the cheaplist for both events for €6

cheaplist closes on facebook on 8pm on the night , at the door midnight The grand social

the only one good nightclub around temple is the button factory, the rest of them are too small to be a nightclub

the mezz too small to be a nightclub

the kitchen too small to be a nightclub

club m too small to be a nightclub

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

wampyrus77 wrote: »

Friday bigfoot and trainwreck from the Pod Harcourt st, Saturday Hussle in the academy from the button factory and €4 a pint

to get on the cheaplist comment cheaplist for Friday bigfoot and trainwreck on facebook event page and bigfoot is in the academy now(its used be in the the Pod Harcourt st)

The Pod is closed ages.
    the only one good nightclub around temple is the button factory, the rest of them are too small to be a nightclub

the mezz too small to be a nightclub

the kitchen too small to be a nightclub

club m too small to be a nightclub

Button Factory is hit and miss imo. Kitchen isn't too small, Mezz is average and I've never been in Club M (thankfully).

The Pod is closed ages.

Button Factory is hit and miss imo. Kitchen isn't too small, Mezz is average and I've never been in Club M (thankfully).

i know the pod has closed for ages,

i just informing people that dj group trainwreck that has used play in the pod on fridays, has moved to academy now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 MalahideMullet

I am also in a similar situation as the OP.

Where do I go for some tittie action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Why are people suggesting the Q Bar? Total hole of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Not sure what day it's on or whatever but the Workman's Club was pretty nifty the whole 2 times I went. Very chilled vibe.

Brokentime wrote: »
    Why are people suggesting the Q Bar? Total hole of a place.

the qbar gets very big on saturday nights and its free entry before midnight , €5 entry fee after midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

the qbar gets very big on saturday nights and its free entry before midnight , €5 entry fee after midnight

Does nothing to sway me. I still think it's a dive. Far better bars around that area. The only thing good about the Q Bar was the fact that it was usually still open late on weekdays so you could snag a sneaky pint on the way home from another bar.

• Advertisement

alot of bars and clubs temple bar changes their prices after midnight and im not paying €6 for pint

Advertisement