Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused with new router.

Options
  • 10-01-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi just bought a new tp link td-w8960n. Its a wireless N adsl2+ modem router, rated at 300mb. I have the router working fine with wired connections. A bit confused with the wireless side of it. When connected with wireless G laptop it connects at 54mb (when laptop beside it and 100% signal). I also bought a getnet wireless usb dongle also rated at 300mb. The maximum this connects is 72mb :confused: , the security type is wpa2-personal and the encryption type is aes. I have tried it on two different laptops (installed software that came with dongle) but results are the same on both laptops. I take it I should be getting a faster connection or have I missed something.

Broadband package is 8mb with vodafone.

Not too technical with the advise please :p

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

To gain a full wireless "n" network you have to have all "n" equipment - i.e. modem/router and wireless cards. If there is a g network card or usb present at all the network become a "g" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 a7v8x

Thanks for the reply, so assuming 3 laptops are on the wireless side, if I purchase two more wireless dongles (n) it should work as an "n" network. The fact that two are on "g" and one is on "n" makes the lot work as "g" ?

I take it the devices on the wired side have no impact on the wireless n side?

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

a7v8x wrote: »
    Hi just bought a new tp link td-w8960n. Its a wireless N adsl2+ modem router, rated at 300mb. I have the router working fine with wired connections. A bit confused with the wireless side of it. When connected with wireless G laptop it connects at 54mb (when laptop beside it and 100% signal). I also bought a getnet wireless usb dongle also rated at 300mb. The maximum this connects is 72mb :confused: , the security type is wpa2-personal and the encryption type is aes. I have tried it on two different laptops (installed software that came with dongle) but results are the same on both laptops. I take it I should be getting a faster connection or have I missed something.

Broadband package is 8mb with vodafone.

Not too technical with the advise please :p

Obviously less technical than OP :(

Anyone know how to set up for Eircom - it looks for a whole bunch of settings - not really a plug and play device.

Anyone set one of these boyos up? Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Can't go wrong, here are the settings you need, its the same for everyone on eircon, BTW those are Google DNS servers dumped the eircom ones myself months ago due to them being cr@p

Username: eircom@eircom.net

Password: broadband1

Encapsulation: PPPoE

Multiplexing: LLC Based

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Can't go wrong, here are the settings you need, its the same for everyone on eircon, BTW those are Google DNS servers dumped the eircom ones myself months ago due to them being cr@p

Hi! Thanks for that. Actually, I did find these settings on Eircom pager over the wknd.

By the way, what does putting in different "DNS servers" detail do in terms of performance. Sorry not really clued so had to google it. Is the idea to speed up page loading?

Looks like some issues here -

• Advertisement

Also the latest firmware on tplink website shows latest firmware to be TD-W8960N_V1_100825 but there is a later one showing on my modem - 100900

Does that mean I have the latest version does anyone know?
    Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Legend, thanks, just bought a TP-Link there. Connection keeps dropping, need to rule out the router (old Netopia).

In cork city and my buddies up and down the road can get UPC but I can't, dose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

thefloss wrote: »

Legend, thanks, just bought a TP-Link there. Connection keeps dropping, need to rule out the router (old Netopia).

In cork city and my buddies up and down the road can get UPC but I can't, dose.

Dig up a uyear old thread for that :/?
    Just pay UPC to put a cable from your house to the end of where upc go nearest you!

Advertisement