Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 hornet

• 10-01-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

how are ye lads

just lookin for some info on a 22 hornet
    are they any good
    and any other info welcome

i was lookin at the hornet because i can change it onto an existing licence so i want to leave out the nonsence of signatures and all that i have a 22 lr at the min and dont need another bunny gun would it be any good for foxs i know a 223 is really the right gun for foxs but i can get a hornet some much easyer and cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean raff

nothing wrong with the hornet but it still has its limits too
    you can change up to a 22/250,with little or no hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i use a hornet, great foxing rifle, virtually no recoil so easy enough to stay on target after firing and is quiet as far as centerfires go, its good out to about 200 yards for foxes,
    although saying that i'd love to upgrade to a .204 or .223 or swift so i can shoot grey crows and magpies during the day at a lot longer distances,
    if your just going to be using just for foxing a hornet is perfect,some lads tend to knock the hornet saying its the weakest cf calibre but then still recommend .17hmr's:rolleyes:
    if you get a good deal on one go for it, its a major step up from a .22 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I tried for months to sell my CZ hornet and now I am glad I didnt sell it, I put a new mod and a new scope on it €500 and I am more than pleased with it my longest kill on a fox to date with it is just short of 200 yds.
    There is some recoil, with the leupold scope its deadly accurate out to 180+ yds , ammo cost anywhere between €38- €55 per box of 50 which is probably much the same as the.223

i spent 1300 on mine in the past 2 months:eek: putting a new scope and mod on it, had to get it threaded for the mod so got the barrel shortened down to around 19" while i was at it
    Photo0081.jpg
    would sell the gun and mod for a grand, dont think i'll ever sell the scope though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

how are ye lads

just lookin for some info on a 22 hornet
    are they any good
    and any other info welcome

i was lookin at the hornet because i can change it onto an existing licence so i want to leave out the nonsence of signatures and all that i have a 22 lr at the min and dont need another bunny gun would it be any good for foxs i know a 223 is really the right gun for foxs but i can get a hornet some much easyer and cheaper

Hornet will kill foxes no problem.
    It is a true hunting round and not a target round.

If you can't afford a new .223 it might be the rifle for you.
    However, it may be harder to sell in future as the newer Available in Ireland calibres are more popular.
    Hornets can be picked up for €200 and €350 with scope second hand.

If you are a student then that might be your best option.

However, If you can stretch I'd buy a .223/.204 for more accuracy and longer range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

very nice lookin tool
    is there any other advantage to shorting the barrel or just to make it more portable did the gun loose a bit of accuricy with the barrel shorted and did you sortin it yourself or get it done
    i may look more into it now and see what happens are they hard to tread or could you get the a good steel worker to do or whats the procedure

i got fergal white to do it, he's one of the 2 riflesmiths in the country, so 1 of the best,other lads do it around the place but i dont know whether to trust them or not. i would be very careful about getting the barrel threaded as the barrell has to be perfectly centred so the sound mod is alligned properly, it was around 150 euro to get the barrel shortened recrowned and threaded, the only downside to shortening the barrel is you can lose some speed, but i did a bit of research on uk and us forums and found that the hornet loses very little if any speed cutting it to around 19 or 20" as all the powder has already burnt, some guys had ones with 14" and 16" barrels and said they didnt lose much speed, but its illegal (or restricted not to sure) to go shorter than 500mm (19.68 inchs) here in ireland.
    on the accuracy front i can't tell if shortening it made any differance but its shooting very well now after getting it recrowned, and i sanded off the stock a bit as the weight of the mod was causing the stock to touch of the barrel when using the bipod, which brings me to another question, if any of ye guys have done this before what did ye put on the stock to seal it, will any oil do as it wont be seen so doesnt have to match the colour of the rest of the stock, because i think we have some linseed oil out in the garage that used to be used on hurleys and i was thinking of using it

However, If you can stretch I'd buy a .223/.204 for more accuracy and longer range
    longer range yes, but my weihrauch hornet is very accurate and always was, same with other guys i know that have cz hornets
    i dont know why people say the hornet is not accurate

ormondprop wrote: »
    longer range yes, but my weihrauch hornet is very accurate and always was, same with other guys i know that have cz hornets
    i dont know why people say the hornet is not accurate

I say a brand spanking new Krico out of a box with brand new scope, shot by Competition shooter and not group as good as swifts .204's .223's etc.

I have seen several Hornets same.

However, what is your definition of accuracy?
    Mine would be 3 leave clovers or less @ 100 yards

maybe you saw inaccurate guns not an inaccurate calibre,
    what is your definition of accuracy?
    Mine would be 3 leave clovers or less @ 100 yards
    clovers? can you not get em all in the one hole:D

i can get 5 shots in an inch at 100m when i do my part, might not be as good as what other lads can get with their guns but as its a hunting rifle thats a kill with every shot if i can point it straight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

tack would you ever stop harping on about how unaccurate hornets are :p
    the 'calibe' which is what we are talking about has the potential to be just as accurate as a 223 or 22-250 or whatever,,, if you picked up a rem 700 in 22hornet and spent what you have on your 223 on it then it would shoot just as well as yours i have seen rifles of various calibres that wouldn't shoot good groups :confused: and have seen out of the box hornets that would clover leaf at 100yrds ;)
    now to the op a hornet is a great fox round out to 200 they are readily available as the more sexy calibres are more popular these days in the bad old days it was the bullet of choice for a lot of us , it hits hard and will kill foxes all night long

landkeeper wrote: »
    tack would you ever stop harping on about how unaccurate hornets are :p
    the 'calibe' which is what we are talking about has the potential to be just as accurate as a 223 or 22-250 or whatever,,, if you picked up a rem 700 in 22hornet and spent what you have on your 223 on it then it would shoot just as well as yours i have seen rifles of various calibres that wouldn't shoot good groups :confused: and have seen out of the box hornets that would clover leaf at 100yrds ;)
    now to the op a hornet is a great fox round out to 200 they are readily available as the more sexy calibres are more popular these days in the bad old days it was the bullet of choice for a lot of us , it hits hard and will kill foxes all night long

I was at several 150yard Fox comps in my younger days, where all .224 and below calibres were entered, hornet never won any of them.

Several of my friends once owned hornets and 1" was best they could gety, they get 1/2" or less with .223/.204's so THUS I draw MY opinion that tehy are more accurate.
    BC of .109 on Hornady Hornet ammo, which is undisputed premier factory ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

that dosn't suprise me as you were shooting at a range and in all probability who ever was shooting a hornet was almost certainly using a hunting rifle whereas i bet a pound to a penny the rifles that won were 'played ' with sporting rifles or dedicated target rifles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Have an Anschutz .22Hornet and can't fault it. I don't see any reason why I'd need a .223 or .204. If I ever get the deer permissions sorted I'll invest in a decent .308 and keep the Hornet for foxes and bunnies ( it's a great round for head shooting rabbits at distances a .22lr starts to become a bit loopy in my hands ).

landkeeper wrote: »
    that dosn't suprise me as you were shooting at a range and in all probability who ever was shooting a hornet was almost certainly using a hunting rifle whereas i bet a pound to a penny the rifles that won were 'played ' with sporting rifles or dedicated target rifles

Had to be sporting rifle to enter.
    A CZ .223 would kick the pants off a cz Hornet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Had to be sporting rifle to enter.
    A CZ .223 would kick the pants off a cz Hornet

We're not talkin about puttin holes in paper tho the op already said its gonna be a fox gun so for that job its just as accurate as the rest. 1 inch groups or half inch groups is still a fox on the ground ether way.

I didnt think they could be gotten that cheap. have ya looked at any yet lad?

We're not talkin about puttin holes in paper tho the op already said its gonna be a fox gun so for that job its just as accurate as the rest. 1 inch groups or half inch groups is still a fox on the ground ether way.

I didnt think they could be gotten that cheap. have ya looked at any yet lad?

Through 1973-2001 the country was riddled with hornets, everything from bolt action to folding stock single shot.

There are plenty of cheap hornets available for ~ the €200-250 mark.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055575752

The above was scope rifle and accessories for €500, so it proves they can be got for small money.

I know of several RFD's with loads of hornets and .17rem's that have not moved in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭leupold90

My first cf was a hornet.

Great round. Very 'shootable'.Ammo not too expensive and easily available. I had good results out to 200yds with it.

Get one - you won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I am a proud and un wavering Hornet user, at least once a week, upto 4 times a night.:D

The ruger 22 hornet I use, http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/specSheets/7203.html

More foxes were shot in this country with the hornet in the days when you were lucky if the guards gave you a 22lr and bags of high nitrogen fertilizer was in short supply.:rolleyes:

All these fan dangle modern calibers......i have a very simplistic view on it, how far can you see with a lamp at night and how big are the fields you lamp on.

you'll find the hornet is plenty, the way were going lads in 10yrs time the 223, 204, 22-250, 243 will be no good the 50 cal will be the only man for fox shooting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

I am a proud and un wavering Hornet user, at least once a week, upto 4 times a night.:D

The ruger 22 hornet I use, http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/specSheets/7203.html

More foxes were shot in this country with the hornet in the days when you were lucky if the guards gave you a 22lr and bags of high nitrogen fertilizer was in short supply.:rolleyes:

All these fan dangle modern calibers......i have a very simplistic view on it, how far can you see with a lamp at night and how big are the fields you lamp on.

you'll find the hornet is plenty, the way were going lads in 10yrs time the 223, 204, 22-250, 243 will be no good the 50 cal will be the only man for fox shooting:D

The way were going you wont get ammo for your hornet in the future.:D

• Advertisement

Id say I will, ;)
    I may have to pay dearer for them:( but a box or two over a year is very reasonable, the hornet is very popular down the reloading route UK and US. Its not dead yet:)
    http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/131461/22_Hornet_calibre_review.html

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/22hornet_082306/

thats what was in my mind alright wondering would the ammo just get harder amd harder to get

ive looked at a couple and seen a couple of nice ones seen one it was 300 bullets and it had bushnell scope cant really remember the mag on it but i think it was a 4 x or 6 by decent enough scope

The way were going you wont get ammo for your hornet in the future
    plenty of hornets being used in the country so i wouldn't be worried about that, infact there is more new ammo after coming out, i saw federel 45gr soft points in stakelums the other day but havent tried them yet and remington have brought out a 35gr balistic tip but havent seen them yet in irish dealers but getting good reviews on the uk sites

seen a rifle the same as that for sale in stakelums aswell not sure of the price but might be worth giving him a call and find out, lovely clean rifle

do you have a number for them or where are they might get there number of directorys even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Had an anschutz hornet myself. mate had a Krico but the most accurate hornet I ever seen belonged to another mate. It was a ruger exactly the same as the one cavan shooter uses.
    It would shoot quarter inch groups at 100 yards with rws ammo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

zeissman wrote: »
    Had an anschutz hornet myself. mate had a Krico but the most accurate hornet I ever seen belonged to another mate. It was a ruger exactly the same as the one cavan shooter uses.
    It would shoot quarter inch groups at 100 yards with rws ammo.

That RWS ammo is very good. Had it years ago when I had a Hornet. Pricey but worth every penny (before we converted to the current Monopoly money :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

im using sellior and bellot 45gr sum job accurate a round as ive used in her got them in southern rifle and optics 17euros for box of 20sum yolk to cap a fox:D

looked at a couple more hornets

1) cz hornet 300 euro bushnell scope
    2) cz hornet 550 euro buris scope
    3) rouger hornet 500 euro nikko sterling
    4) cz hornet no scope it was 50 euro with my baigal o/u
    the guy said the cz would have 1:12 twist the other lad said rueger would have twist 1:8
    the rueger barrel was 20 inchs long but the cz looked alot longer from memory i never measured the cz
    any opions or ideas lads

• Advertisement

i thought most hornets have a 1:14 twist and older ones have a 1:16
    i know for definate rugers are 1:14

that what i thought you said that earlyer on in the tread thats why i asked to make sure it wasnt an ancient yoke either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

that what i thought you said that earlyer on in the tread thats why i asked to make sure it wasnt an ancient yoke either

Age of a secondhand firearm is not very relevant in my opinion. When I bought my Anschutz hornet it was 32 years old but very well looked after and generaly in very good if not excellent condition and it still shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 paces and I've had it for 4 years and have rattled a good bit of ammo through it.

When you're buying second hand I'd even be inclined to look for older quality stuff rather than middle of the road newer stuff in the same price range.

The older I get the stronger my urge to get older rifles to match an older cartridge,

I have a yearning for a rolling block or martini actioned Hornet, I have seen some nice Winchesters on the web. There is something about the rolling block or martini action design thats just......I dont even have a word for it.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The older I get the stronger my urge to get older rifles to match an older cartridge,

I have a yearning for a rolling block or martini actioned Hornet, I have seen some nice Winchesters on the web. There is something about the rolling block or martini action design thats just......I dont even have a word for it.:o

They're brilliant fun to shoot. A Ruger No. 1 in .22 Hornet would be a real cracker too.

ok ive decided

the rouger 22 hornet is the one for me
    a friend was going on and on about the brno but your yer advice i decided there cant be that much between them if anything at all apart from cosmetics rouger was nicer lookin lighter and rotatin mag so it stays up out of the way also it is shorter ond easyer to manage aswell

i hope my dicision is the right on

thanks for all the advice and help

• Advertisement

you wont be disappointed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I'm in the process of organising something along this line. I was at the buddies house at Xmas (who happens to be a gunsmith) and he had a lovely greener single shot shotgun, like a falling block or Martini action. I fell in love and bought it, (waiting on licence), any way I asked how difficult to put in a nice long rifle barrell, no-problem - so i'm gonna put in a heavy profile barrell in Hornet and get some nice peep sights - along the line of Quigley down under. I love the Hornet - lovely round. Project after that is gonna be a Winchester Hi-wall, havent decided calibre yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ah yes, i had one of these babies for years. Served me well, there is many a tree alive in the Irish midlands today due to my out witting of them rabbits and that trusty Hornet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I'm in the process of organising something along this line. I was at the buddies house at Xmas (who happens to be a gunsmith) and he had a lovely greener single shot shotgun, like a falling block or Martini action. I fell in love and bought it, (waiting on licence), any way I asked how difficult to put in a nice long rifle barrell, no-problem - so i'm gonna put in a heavy profile barrell in Hornet and get some nice peep sights - along the line of Quigley down under. I love the Hornet - lovely round. Project after that is gonna be a Winchester Hi-wall, havent decided calibre yet.

I'm jealous :)

Pictures when it's done PLEASE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dreancaid

I'm jealous :)

Pictures when it's done PLEASE ;)

Somebody should revive this old thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Completely forgot about this thread. A couple of more projects got in the way, but I actually got the hornet about a month ago. Not finished yet, Brand new 30 mm barrel in it. It looks mad at the moment, it's basically the action hanging off a an artillery barrel..ðŸ˜I'll try to get pics up tomorrow Eve..

Advertisement