Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Centre Fire Cases

Options
  • 10-01-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I was in Court 23 to-day, along with 60 other appeals. All cases have been adjourned until 9th May. The reason is that the High Court Test cases are delayed because the respondent has not made full disclosure. They are back in the High Court on 19th Jan, when an order for full disclosure should be made. It is hoped that these cases will then be heard by end the of March. If successful, all appeals will be sent back to the Chiefs for issue of licence. If unsuccessful, we return to the District court on 9th May and seek a date for hearing. The Judge said the the earliest date for hearing would be October !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

October :eek: !!

Good luck with it either way and thank you for taking up the fight while others gave in !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

UN-BeLIVE-able!!!!:mad::mad:.Stall,obfusticate,delay,and coat trail to waste yours and the taxpayers money!
    Well, maybe to be expected anyway with this shower of gutless gobdaws.Bet they are hoping to drag this out so they can cash in their pensions and jump ship and not be worried about it.After the next election which might be...Oh! this time next year???:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    After all the nasty little man from Louth has hopped into his lifeboat with his loot and has left the ship,leaving some other poor SOB to clean up after him.
    Anyways strong arms and stout hearts to ye lads.My thoughts go with you!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

October :eek: !!

Good luck with it either way and thank you for taking up the fight while others gave in !

not all of us had the option to take up the fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

murph226 wrote: »
    +1 on that,,gave up mine due to finances,,simply could not raise that kind of money,needed it for other things like school exams etc.
    thats why i think there should be a panel of people on an appeal comittee that would cost nothing,then off to the courts if needed.

good luck to those who can make the appeal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Best of luck to all of ya's lads hope it works out. where will that leave you murph if they are sucessful? will you be able to apply on a new gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

murph226 wrote: »
    daveob007 wrote: »
    +1 on that,,gave up mine due to finances,,simply could not raise that kind of money,needed it for other things like school exams etc.
    thats why i think there should be a panel of people on an appeal comittee that would cost nothing,then off to the courts if needed.

good luck to those who can make the appeal..

While I know that some unfortunatly havent had the finances to appeal I also know of others who do yet just didnt bother. It became apparent very quickly who actually wanted there firearms and who didnt.

I dont mean to offend the people who couldnt for legitimate reasons couldnt persue there case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Whether or not individuals challenged their refusals was a personal decision and whether or not they could afford it, were afraid of becoming lost in the legal system, decided to do something else, lost them in '72 and couldn't face it all over again, etc. is their decision and we should not pick over it.

I'm sure having to make the decision was bad enough without people picking over it again now. I am very fortunate not to have had to make that decision as I do not know what I would have done. I count myself blessed.

People in the shooting sports are extremely passionate about their sport and dedicate an inordinate amount of their time to it - being forced to abandon it is a very big deal and for anyone to have been so forced it is of no help to question their decision.

B'Man

A very rough idea would be to set up a type of "AA for gunowners".
    Basing this on a preventive legal service
    Voulantary,pay in a subscription which provides you access to a legal/expert witness team dedicated to dealing with firearms appeals and DC cases.The more in the pool the cheaper it becomes obviously.As I think it will be a case of repeating this carry on every three years for certain of us who were "nails that stood out of the planks".
    As this would be seperate from all shooting organisations and is a legal council,any monies left over or not being used could be pooled and invested on behalf of each member for reducing their costs should a court case arise every three years.IOW the more you pay in the cheaper your legal costs should be,should you ever need the service.If you never need it and give up shooting through whatever reason,you should recive back a dividend on the monies invested.

Back of an envelope idea at the moment,but do yez think it would have any merit??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Who'd manage the money Grizzly? (And I mean who as in what person?)
    You're talking about a large wad of cash in an economic recession if you're talking about an effective legal fund. It's not a bad idea; but you'd want to trust the person with the purse-strings.

Would say it would have to be a solicitor or solicitors Sparks with financial experiance.Prefably also somone with knowledge of the firearms laws,but not a shooter themselves..A contradiction possibly ,but no doubt exists..So that the funds must be accounted for and are totally seperate from any outside influence.
    I dont have an idea on how this is set up as a legal entity[IE limited company,trust,covenant, pool of funds ??] I'm not that up on financial law or busisness set ups of that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The thing is Grizzly, you'd want a soliciter overseeing it certainly, but someone has to give that solicitor instructions, so having one doesn't really solve the problem so much as kick the can down the road a bit. Ultimately, you'll have a wad of notes and someone making a decision as to what case they're spent on (because there's no way we could fund every single case ever taken, unless we all win the lotto and all donate our winnings to a single fund!).

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

While I know that some unfortunatly havent had the finances to appeal I also know of others who do yet just didnt bother. It became apparent very quickly who actually wanted there firearms and who didnt.

I dont mean to offend the people who couldnt for legitimate reasons couldnt persue there case.
    no offence taken, i did piss me off big time having to sell the gun and lose money as well as the enjoyment of going to the range and meeting others,but i still have my other guns to use so it's not the end of the world.
    I will however get back into pistol shooting as soon as the finances allow,get mmyself a .22 rimfire and join up a club again,,i'm not gone away by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

hi all
    how did the lads get on today in court???

Advertisement