Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKT 2011

• 10-01-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Hopefully not a re-post - I checked and didn't see any mention, but others presumably also got this today...
    Sean Kelly Tour 2011 set for Sunday 28th August for the 50k, 90k and 160k events.

Entry will open in late February 2011. So for now get the date in your diaries and keep an eye on www.theseankellytour.com for updates in 2011.
    In 2010 over €53,500 was raised for the Irish Cancer Societyand they have expressed their gratitude to all concerned for the generosity shown. We would like to remind all 2010 participants who haven’t yet returned their cards and/or money to do so as soon as possible. All sponsorship cards must be returned to the Irish Cancer Society. If you have yet to return your used/unused sponsorship cards please do so.
    Freepost, Irish Cancer Society, 43/45 Northumberland Road, Dublin 4. Please call 1850 606060 if you have any queries.

Bring it on............gonna aim for the 160k this time,

sh1t I said that out loud, didn't I?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

You can't get out of it now :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I did the 90km last year, my first 'event' and it was really enjoyable, the people, set-up, craic, atmosphere, food, route etc, so...........my aim is the 160km this year (there..............I've said it, phew :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm in. 160k (very very slowly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

On board for the 160km - but (thankfully) my son got his 1st road bike for Xmas so we are planning on the 50km together :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Usual carp for me, won't know 'til the last minute if I can do it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Hopefully not a re-post - I checked and didn't see any mention, but others presumably also got this today...
    Sean Kelly Tour 2011 set for Sunday 28th August for the 50k, 90k and 160k events.

Entry will open in late February 2011. So for now get the date in your diaries and keep an eye on www.theseankellytour.com for updates in 2011.
    In 2010 over €53,500 was raised for the Irish Cancer Societyand they have expressed their gratitude to all concerned for the generosity shown. We would like to remind all 2010 participants who haven’t yet returned their cards and/or money to do so as soon as possible. All sponsorship cards must be returned to the Irish Cancer Society. If you have yet to return your used/unused sponsorship cards please do so.
    Freepost, Irish Cancer Society, 43/45 Northumberland Road, Dublin 4. Please call 1850 606060 if you have any queries.

Yep Mr Blaa man, have some blaas ready at the top of mahon falls, as a display of waterford hospitality ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

michael196 wrote: »
    Yep Mr Blaa man, have some blaas ready at the top of mahon falls, as a display of waterford hospitality ......

Forget hospitaility.......depening on how I go, its a hospital that I may need at the top of Mahon Falls.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Hope to do the 160. Believe it's a really well organised event.

did it for first time last year, did a few others for first time ever also: Sky etape, Leinster loop, STK, W200

SKT 160, was very enjoyable, hugh crowd, mass start made it great , ( in contrast with individual start for the W200) , great route, challanging, great organisation,

all you need is some sunshine ( not too much) and find the group traveling at ur pace. Love the way peopl congregated at top of Mahn falls for a breather.

ambulances were busy that day however. 4 passed me by during the course of the day !!!

so hey ! lets be careful out there ...... HSB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

defo do it again .. there is even a pic of me smiling on mahon falls :D. A stone lighter now than this time last your . hope to do it in under 6 hours .

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    defo do it again .. there is even a pic of me smiling on mahon falls :D. A stone lighter now than this time last your . hope to do it in under 6 hours .

Jw , I am in wexford also, wexford wheelers, maybe we know each other ?
    Are u from Scorthy ? think we met at the league races in camross?

i cannot remeber my time from last year, twas more like 9 hours. but like urself, there is less of me this year, and hopefully less again by august,
    I remeber i walked about 100 yards at the base of the final run up to mahon falls, then cycled up the last bit just fine.

for any body contemplating sportives for the first time this year, dont be afraid to hop off and walk, I walked the big ones in the W200. I hopped off, walked and when i looked around , there was a string of walkers behind me.

when doing the swords sportive later in the year, which was a series of nasty, pesky moles of hills, up to 10% gradient, by then hill climbing had been sorted well enough, and they would not believe me when i told them i had chose ;)to walk in the w200

i think 9 hours was the W200 time, but again, was alteast a stone heavier then with no climbing ability.

only goal is to improve these sportive times for 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

thats the same weekend as the closed road Etape Hibernian in Clare.....don't you just wish people planned these things a little better.:confused: Last year SK took part in the Clare event this year he will be pulling people away....Pity:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

johnam wrote: »
    thats the same weekend as the closed road Etape Hibernian in Clare.....don't you just wish people planned these things a little better.:confused: Last year SK took part in the Clare event this year he will be pulling people away....Pity:(

SKT is Sunday 28th of August.

http://www.theseankellytour.com/

Etape Hibernia is the 21st.

http://www.etapehibernia.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

My Mistake....when I booked the Etape, I looked at accomodation aswell, and the dates were all screwed up..... glad I found out now.....would have been a bit awkward turning up in Ennis on the 28th of August asking to close the roads for just me :). The Accomodation forms had the 28th on them and the same pictures for all hotels.....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

daragh_ wrote: »
    SKT is Sunday 28th of August.

http://www.theseankellytour.com/

Etape Hibernia is the 21st.

http://www.etapehibernia.com/

It's also the same day as Lap the Lough in the north....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

~33% return to the main charity from the cycle seems like a fairly poor return. (basing this on 3500 x 40 in entry fees, doesn't take into account sponsorship). I know there was a jersey and other stuff included in the entry fee but it's a pity that more didn't end up going to the charity. I noted that the Ring of Kerry cycle raised nearly 500,000 euro last year with no entry fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Jw , I am in wexford also, wexford wheelers, maybe we know each other ?
    Are u from Scorthy ? think we met at the league races in camross?

i cannot remeber my time from last year, twas more like 9 hours. but like urself, there is less of me this year, and hopefully less again by august,
    I remeber i walked about 100 yards at the base of the final run up to mahon falls, then cycled up the last bit just fine.

for any body contemplating sportives for the first time this year, dont be afraid to hop off and walk, I walked the big ones in the W200. I hopped off, walked and when i looked around , there was a string of walkers behind me.

when doing the swords sportive later in the year, which was a series of nasty, pesky moles of hills, up to 10% gradient, by then hill climbing had been sorted well enough, and they would not believe me when i told them i had chose ;)to walk in the w200

i think 9 hours was the W200 time, but again, was alteast a stone heavier then with no climbing ability.

only goal is to improve these sportive times for 2011

yes im in slany cc .... wx wheelers never heard of them :D . ones to do in our area are the blackstairs , barrow wheelers at the end of the month and south east road 3 peaks challenge , that was a bitch last year
    for a start

jwshooter wrote: »
    yes im in slany cc .... wx wheelers never heard of them :D .

I have no answer for u !!! damn !!

oh yes, when u reach the age limit in wexford you are shipped to slaney for retirement; .... hee hee.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Have me room booked in Lawlors an all....... WOW how organised am I ...

Hey feck all rooms left by the way Id advise yez to get the finger out if you want to book into Dungarvans hottest spot.....:D

yeah dungarvan is all happenning alright, and auld lawlors is well up on the disco lights and strip lighting in the ballroom floor not to mention the video wall.....:D:D

isnt there a tiny pub in the square somewhere : nellies or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

isnt there a tiny pub in the square somewhere : nellies or something ?

A couple of others on here might be able to help on that one... if I recall a good night was had by all last year...... and I seem to remember something to do with a handbag... :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Have me room booked in Lawlors an all....... WOW how organised am I ...

Hey feck all rooms left by the way Id advise yez to get the finger out if you want to book into Dungarvans hottest spot.....:D

Booked myself into The Park Hotel last week.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Online entry is up and running just in case you didn't know already.;)

Can anyone who has completed the SKT 160k route comment on the relative difficulties of the four main climbs and place them in some sort of order of difficulty? I got up (wont say 'climbed') Seskin Hill recently for the first time and it was not a pretty sight. SO, I'm trying to gauge just what sort of a mountain I have to climb (pun intended, unfortunately) in terms of my preparation. Here's the order that the climbs appear on the day, but taking into account gradient, length and position on the day.......how do they stack up?

1 Seskin Hill
    2 Power the Pot
    3 MAhon Falls
    4 Mama Road

........and dont go telling me Seskin is the easiest (please! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

1 Seskin Hill
    2 Power the Pot
    3 MAhon Falls
    4 Mama Road

1. Killed me because of it's gradient and the need for uber concentration as there were so many round;
    2. Killed me because it started raining and my hamstrings cramped;
    3. Killed me because of its openness & wind;
    4. Kllled me because all of the others came before

Can anyone who has completed the SKT 160k route comment on the relative difficulties of the four main climbs and place them in some sort of order of difficulty? I got up (wont say 'climbed') Seskin Hill recently for the first time and it was not a pretty sight. SO, I'm trying to gauge just what sort of a mountain I have to climb (pun intended, unfortunately) in terms of my preparation. Here's the order that the climbs appear on the day, but taking into account gradient, length and position on the day.......how do they stack up?

1 Seskin Hill
    2 Power the Pot
    3 MAhon Falls
    4 Mama Road

........and dont go telling me Seskin is the easiest (please! )

hi , with a name like Blaa man shure u could do these any saturday morning !!! ( thinking ur location !! )

anyhow,

seskin short and steep ( 1 mile maybe)

Powers ( taking that to mean the climb from the nire to Powers) long and draggy, maybe a 4 / 5 mile draggy climb

Mahon: Long draggy 4 miles maybe, untill the very end where there is a 500 meter cat 1 climb ( 16 - 18% gradient )Mama

very long draggy climb, must be 10 miles or something .

will check out each on ridewithgps and report back here ASAP

three of these feature in the Carrick wheelers challange sportive on june 5th, aong with some of South Tipps and Waterford countys finest challanging hills, which a lot of cyclists will not be familiar with ( Carrick are including hills that the SKT does not usually include), so u get to see where the carrick clubs do ther hill climbing training...

http://carrickwheelers.com/?p=570

I have signed up to do the carrick challange sportive..

I would give the carrick a shot, even if its just to experience other / different hills....

regards Michael

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

We arrived from the west only knowing of the hills from Cycling folklore and this is my advice:D
    hi , with a name like Blaa man shure u could do these any saturday morning !!! ( thinking ur location !! )

anyhow,

seskin short and steep ( 1 mile maybe) Dont get caught up in the enthusiasm of the big bunch

Powers ( taking that to mean the climb from the nire to Powers) long and draggy, maybe a 4 / 5 mile draggy climb. Ride it at your own pace ignoring all those around you

Mahon: Long draggy 4 miles maybe, untill the very end where there is a 500 meter cat 1 climb ( 16 - 18% gradient )Mama As above but keep a bit in the tank as you will be convinced you are at the top and then you see the Wall

very long draggy climb, must be 10 miles or something . Wait and wait again then go for the topand enjoy the best descent of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

penexpers wrote: »
    ~33% return to the main charity from the cycle seems like a fairly poor return. (basing this on 3500 x 40 in entry fees, doesn't take into account sponsorship). I know there was a jersey and other stuff included in the entry fee but it's a pity that more didn't end up going to the charity. I noted that the Ring of Kerry cycle raised nearly 500,000 euro last year with no entry fee.

I was half-way there to switching from the W200/100 to the SKT for charitable reasons ;now I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

TheBlaaMan, preparation really is the key for this event and you’ve started nice and early, so that’s good!

It was fairly obvious last year that many on the 160k route hadn’t done much climbing during their training. As soon as we hit Seskin Hill, quite a few people almost came to a standstill and there was some serious huffing and puffing going on!

Go back to Seskin as soon as you get a chance and I’ll bet you’ll cope better than you did the last time. You now know that its steepest section is pretty steep, so that won’t come as a shock. You’ll also be fitter. If you train on hilly routes between now and August you will most likely take the 160k in your stride on the day.

If you’re carrying a few kilos more than you need, then a decent training regime should easily shift that by August and that makes a big difference on the climbs. Also, make sure you’re bike’s gearing is right. If you’ve a triple chainset, you’ll be grand. If not, then just make sure your cassette has a reasonable spread of ratios (I swapped an 11-23 cassette for a 12-27).

To answer your question, I would rank the climbs as follows, with 1 being the most difficult.

1 Mahon Falls
    - comes at about the 120km mark, so plenty of miles in the legs by this stage
    - headwind increases on higher, more exposed ground (though not necessarily in 2011!)
    - pretty steep near the top, though final and steepest section is tackled after turning through 180 degrees, which thankfully turns the headwind into a tailwind

2 Mama Road
    - a pretty unremarkable climb, little more than a drag really
    - BUT … being close to the finish you will probably be feeling pretty tired at this stage
    - could be a real struggle if you haven’t managed your fluid/energy intake properly
    - just keep plugging away at it and you’ll get there
    - if you’re riding in the company of others it will help, as you can encourage each other

3 Seskin Hill
    - yes, it’s steep. But it is also mercifully short.
    - also, it comes very early on, when the legs are fresh
    - just nail it!

4 Powers the Pot
    - the largest ascent of the day (from approx. 50m to 430m)
    - but not too steep anywhere and still early enough on the route
    - the beautiful scenery will also keep you preoccupied on the way up

Last year, the pace was controlled by the lead car all the way from Dungarvan to the approach to Carrick-on-Suir (way too long in my view), which meant everyone was still more or less together as we approached Seskin Hill. The downside of this was that the road was clogged as soon as we turned and started to climb. The upside was that it felt as though we had freewheeled the first 40km and very little energy had been used by this point.

Coming down off the Mama Road we were once again into that headwind. But a good 15-20k out from Dungarvan, we turned again and had the wind with us the rest of the way, which was just great!

Bottom line: make climbing the focus of your training and you will have no problems at all on the day. You won’t even notice the flat parts in between.

It’s a great day out. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Go for it and Good Luck!

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan, preparation really is the key for this event and you’ve started nice and early, so that’s good!

Bottom line: make climbing the focus of your training and you will have no problems at all on the day. You won’t even notice the flat parts in between.

It’s a great day out. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Go for it and Good Luck!

Keep_Her_Lit

Excellent answer and just what I was hoping for. I should perhaps have clarified that I am familiar with all of the climbs from a walking/motorcycling past but haven't tackled them on the bike, having returned to cyclinig after a long time. I took on Seskin after a 20km warm up recently and had to stop twice en-route to the top - its tough!

My concerns were that Mahon Falls coming after that and late in the day would be far worse, but I'll have a crack at it (it wont be with 120k in my legs, though) in the next week or two. Powers and the Mama road probably suit my 'built-for-endurance, not-for-speed' physique a bit better, so hopefully they will be manageable. Its the severity of Seskin that comes as a shock - RidewithGPS suggests max gradient is 16%........I've climbed hills with similar gradients (a-la RidewithGPS....) but Seskin was a step above any of those. I know that the stats from these sites are not perfect, but from what I had thought, RidewithGPS was pretty accurate. Anyway, I've got to the the KMs up. 70k yesterday, so rest today!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kphelan

The 2011 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford, Sunday August 28th
    Entry is now open for the 2011 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford
    Sunday August 28th 2011
    There are 3 routes to choose from:
    The 160k Kelly Comeragh Challenge
    The 90k Kelly Coast
    The 50k Kelly Cruise
    Also for some family fun on Saturday 27th August the 10k Kelly Ten
    The 5th Anniversary Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford 2011 event promises to be bigger & better that ever. 2010 saw over 4400 cyclists participate in the event & raise over 53k for the Irish Cancer Society.
    This is an event not to be missed - there will be a souvenir jersey for all participants & a great Waterford Welcome!!
    check out www.theseankellytour.com for more info & registration!
    PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY - NO REGISTRATION ON THE DAY!!
    THE CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF ENTRIES
    IS TUESDAY 23rd AUGUST 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Any pictures of this years Jersey yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Signed up for the 160k, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

@Blaaman - I'm going to be spending a bit of time over the next month visiting the big 4 - if yer going out that way over the weekends give me a shout if ya want company

I've tackled most of the climbs a few times now (not Powers, yet) and strung Seskin and Mahon Falls together on a 100km spin recently, but was well spent after that! I was up Mahon again today and despite being quite windy, best my previous time, making Mahon Bridge to the top cattle grid in 29 minutes.

@ Aquanaut, I dont get out regularly on a Saturday, and tend to steal time her and there to get in some spins. I'll try to co-incide with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

I've tackled most of the climbs a few times now (not Powers, yet) and strung Seskin and Mahon Falls together on a 100km spin recently, but was well spent after that! I was up Mahon again today and despite being quite windy, best my previous time, making Mahon Bridge to the top cattle grid in 29 minutes.
    TheBlaaMan, good to see you're on track for the 28th, good luck on the day! Just signed up myself, so that's it, I'm in. Do us all a favour now and kindly sort out some of that famous Sunny South East weather for the big day ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

I wontbe able to make the event, is it possible to get a refund or to sell my place to someone else does anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Seskin Hill, rumours are that it's tough, from looking at it on Strava it looks like it's 1.46km @ 9%, but that doesn't tell the whole story, there are 2 'walls' or ramps that are quite steep, is it a bit like Temple Hill (Cork) only longer, or for those that have done both, which is tougher ??!!
    Actually looking at the map & goooogle maps there's a climb parallel to this one and it looks even tougher !!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Temple hill is much harder in my book. However shorter than Seskin. It would be possible with a granny ring to 'take it easy' up Seskin, impossible to take it easy up Temple. Seskin is similar to Kilahora (Windsor S-N) in Glounthane, although again thats shorter and steeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

how do the climbs on SKT compare to the few around Dublin/Wicklow, eg Stocking Lane, Glencree, Sally Gap etc

Is Temple Hill the one out beyond the bridge over the Lee at the end of the Carrigrohane road, with the Edelweiss Lodge B&B at the base of it? If so, its far more abrupt that Seskin, but I'd never diss Seskin by saying its harder!..............then again, I've only ever driven up it and it looked like a right SOB.............is this Temple Hill though? Seskin is especially tough at the end and its a ****e surface now up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

How would Seskin compare to Inistoige ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Is Temple Hill the one out beyond the bridge over the Lee at the end of the Carrigrohane road, with the Edelweiss Lodge B&B at the base of it?

That's the one. Base is the right word!

And part of the problem with Temple Hill is you've inevitably got that f*cking song stuck in your head on the way up.

And I only know 2 words of it.

aquanaut wrote: »
    How would Seskin compare to Inistoige ?

Seskin (IMO) is two-three times harder... Depending on the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Seskin (IMO) is two-three times harder... Depending on the day!

Are you mistaking Seskin with Mahon Falls? Seskin is short but steep, whereas, Inistioge,is short and sharp at the bottom and goes on for a few km, Mahon Falls is a long climb with the steep bit at the top

Lads
    Seskin Hill has legendry status, Thats All. It comes after a perfect length of time. Respect it but dont spend the next 11/12 days thinking about it.
    There is alot more to worry about in the rest of the 160km;) I think people get sucked into a fast start on the main road and then get a shock when you hit it.

8 of us went down last year and it was the one we talked about most but on the way back it was the other hills that we remembered .

No! I know Seskin and Mahon well, and Woodstock Hill at Inistoige too. Been up all of them in the past few weeks. I 'enjoy' Mahon more than Seskin - even if it is 4.5km of climbing - and perhaps this is because of the reward of the view at the top. Seskin has few redeeming factors, IMO, and the current surface doesn't help. Taking Woodstock all the way to the top is certainly twice as long as Seskin (2.8km vs 1.4km) but its not as tough a climb given the relative gradients - in Seskin the worst is at the end, in Woodstock its at the beginning. Then again, I've got mates who disagree entirely and find Seskin quite easy by virtue if it being so short ........... I dont !

Anyway, back to the point. On the SKT, Seskin is early, Mahon late ( and Inistoige/Woodstock not there at all !) so just ride them and dont go off too strong, too early.

Now, Powers-the-Pot, thats a different matter....... :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

No! I know Seskin and Mahon well, and Woodstock Hill at Inistoige too. Been up all of them in the past few weeks. I 'enjoy' Mahon more than Seskin - even if it is 4.5km of climbing - and perhaps this is because of the reward of the view at the top. Seskin has few redeeming factors, IMO, and the current surface doesn't help. Taking Woodstock all the way to the top is certainly twice as long as Seskin (2.8km vs 1.4km) but its not as tough a climb given the relative gradients - in Seskin the worst is at the end, in Woodstock its at the beginning. Then again, I've got mates who disagree entirely and find Seskin quite easy by virtue if it being so short ........... I dont !

Anyway, back to the point. On the SKT, Seskin is early, Mahon late ( and Inistoige/Woodstock not there at all !) so just ride them and dont go off too strong, too early.

Didn't really notice powers the pot last year, as i got a mechanical on the bottom, and after fixing it, I had to chase down the guys I was with, was so focused on this, I didn't realise how long and draggy it was, but I got into such a rhythm, that when I caught up with my buddies, I just kept going straight passed them and over the top, and took a breather until they caught me........and I'm a big guy who can't climb, just didn't want to be left to fend for myself for the rest of the day ;), but as for Mahon Falls, that was one hard slog with a headwind, the best bit was getting a tailwind for the final steep bit, the worsed was the final climb of the day(more of a drag), and unexpected, but once crested the run in back to Dungarvan was great...downhill all the way

Ya but what do you call the last one with the mast. I walked the Comeragh challenge a few years back and nearly cried on it. Last year as I came over the grid I was having flashbacks:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement