Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKT 2011

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Seskin (IMO) is two-three times harder... Depending on the day!
    Hi Guys,

I have been reading your opinions recently and at the moment I am re-booking my flight to come back from my holidays to do the SKT.

I started cycling actively just this season and I never new I will get involved in sportives, but after completing Tour De Kilkenny, I love it. Obviously, I am not as strong as I wish I was, and only few months in the saddle do not build greatest fitness. But then, I feel strong enough mentally :).

The main question is, am I ready for the big one? I did TDK, but only the 110km Route and it was my first Event and the longest and the toughest cycle I have done so far. I know, at the end of the day I will be the one to take the decision which Route to pick, but I believe I should have no problem with doing the 90km Route. But am I physically able to complete the Comeragh Challenge?

I will appreciate your view.

See you there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Seweryn wrote: »
    The main question is, am I ready for the big one? I did TDK, but only the 110km Route and it was my first Event and the longest and the toughest cycle I have done so far. I know, at the end of the day I will be the one to take the decision which Route to pick, but I believe I should have no problem with doing the 90km Route. But am I physically able to complete the Comeragh Challenge?

Unfortunately you'll have to decide before the day which one to do. You're meant to register for the event you want, and they go off at separate times and in separate directions, so unlike the TDK, you can't decide to do one or other route half way round.

How did you feel after the TDK 110? I would reckon the SKT 160 is a big step up, but if you felt ok in the 110 and have done a nice bit of training and climbing since, then you'd get round the 160.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Unfortunately you'll have to decide before the day which one to do. You're meant to register for the event you want, and they go off at separate times and in separate directions, so unlike the TDK, you can't decide to do one or other route half way round.
    Yeah, it is understood, I am going to take the decision by tomorrow and get registered on-line.
    How did you feel after the TDK 110? I would reckon the SKT 160 is a big step up, but if you felt ok in the 110 and have done a nice bit of training and climbing since, then you'd get round the 160.
    I felt OK after the TDK 110km and I managed to cycle another 18km home after the Event, but I realise that the SKT is in a different league. I am doing a bit of training on my own and will try to hire a bike on my holidays to keep up the fitness and reduce the amount of drinks ;).
    All in all, my mind wants to do it, not sure if the body is strong enough :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I'm 90% sure you can choose between the 90 and 160 on the day, once you are registered in advance. This was the case in past years. Both routes are essentially going off in the same rough direction and the fee for each is the same.

I know you cannot pre-register for the 50 and then opt for the 90 on the day.

Get in touch with the organisers to be certain:
    Email: info@theseankellytour.com
    Phone +353 (0)58 21104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I'm 90% sure you can choose between the 90 and 160 on the day, once you are registered in advance. This was the case in past years. Both routes are essentially going off in the same rough direction and the fee for each is the same.
    Just a word of warning on the 90km route, it goes off an hour after the 160km route, and the homeward journey of the 90km route is full of short sharp steep climbs, so be prepared for some hurt/fun !
    seve65 wrote: »
    Temple hill is much harder in my book. However shorter than Seskin. It would be possible with a granny ring to 'take it easy' up Seskin, impossible to take it easy up Temple. Seskin is similar to Kilahora (Windsor S-N) in Glounthane, although again thats shorter and steeper.
    Phew thank goodness for that. On the TDM thread I see Sean (King) Kelly went up Patrick's Hill...........in the saddle, fair play, considering he's not using a 'small' gear, savage leg strength. But...........would he go up Temple Hill in the saddle !!
    Sean, if you're listening, there's a challenge :pac:

Also, has anyone done that hill next (or parallel) to Seskin Hill, as I said earlier, it looks steeper & harder than Seskin, if that's possible, the road surface could be worse also of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just a word of warning on the 90km route, it goes off an hour after the 160km route, and the homeward journey of the 90km route is full of short sharp steep climbs, so be prepared for some hurt/fun !

Aye the trip back coast hops from cove to cove, as soon as you reach the top of one short steep climb you get to see the next one about a minutes descent away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I did the 90km last year as my first sportive and got a bit of a shock on the way home. It's all pretty straightforward on the way out, and then you hit some short but savage climbs on the way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I did the 90km last year as my first sportive and got a bit of a shock on the way home. It's all pretty straightforward on the way out, and then you hit some short but savage climbs on the way back.
    Yep, same for me last year, I guess for the rookie or people who are doing it for the 1st time, just to be aware of getting in the right gear before the climb and be aware of other cyclists stopping or falling, yep, I saw a guy fall off in Annestown, he got stuck in the big chainring. On a nice (sunny) day it's a fabulous route.

Advertisement