Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Pope good for Catholicism/Christianity?

• 10-01-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,
    Could I ask for opinions of Catholics specifically and Christians generally on the Pope and whether he's been a positive or negative force for either cause so far? Not looking for a poll. Just thoughts.

It just stems from one or two conversations with Catholic friends, who I'd have had down as liberal and pretty a-la-carte themselves, but who announced their respect for what they considered his principled conservatism. It took me by surprise a little so I was wondering if this view is widely held?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ubertrad

Benedict XVI has been excellent for the Church. When I look back over the last five years, I am amazed and my impatience is pacified. This Pope has achieved so much in such a short time. Pope John Paul II I think prepared the ground for Benedict. Cardinal Ratzinger was John Paul's right-hand man for much of his papacy.

Benedict has worked towards Christian unity - with the Orthodox, and with those who are outside the Church but desiring to come in - the Anglicans, as well as those who are in an irregular state of communion: the Society of St. Pius X, but who have much to offer the Church.

He has also tackled head on, much to the anger and venom of the secularists, the rising dictatorship of relativism and the threat it poses.

I hope Benedict gets another 5 years at least. But I am confident that the next Pope will continue this good work. A major objective is the restoration of the Catholic liturgy - a central issue.

I recommend Light of the World if you want to get a detailed insight into this Pope's mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I think he's been good for the Church overall. His daily youtube updates and his intellectual writings are truly excellent - a light of hope in the modern world.

He has to be congratulated particularly for his work at reaching out to other faiths and global travels (continuing on from the work of JPII) - Muslims, Protestants, Lutherans, Jews, etc.

He has a job to maintain continuity and try his best to bring along everyone with him.

Traddies cling to the fact that he has a personal preference for all things traditional, particularly with regard to the liturgy, but that's just him personally and it's true that he has done lots of good work at bringing traditionalists back into the fold which is a good thing IMO. I don't like the triumphalism coming from certain traditional quarters though.

I think his handling of the child sex abuse scandal has been good overall - it's difficult if not impossible to fix things without stepping on someone's toes. He's right that all us Catholics need penance, time and guidance from the Holy Spirit to repair the damage that has been done. It will take at least a generation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

His positive attributes are that he posesses an excellent academic record and uses that to defend Catholic beliefs and doctrines which in turn provide a moral compass to catholics.
    I might quibble a bit with his stance on wealth "redistribution". Internationally he has annoyed the Mainland Chinese by
    supporting the Dalai Lama, a positive. I'll start on his "Light of the World" at the end of the month to perhaps gain a better understanding of his policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

His like will not be seen again. That is because he is one of the last men and women who are steeped in the high culture of Europe. John Paul II was an intellectual and philosopher. His own charm made him much loved, but he showed little awareness of the non-verbal aspects of the liturgy and his writings are so academic in style that they are almost impossible to understand for anyone who does not have a university education in philosophy or theology. Benedict XVI, on the other hand, is brilliantly intelligent too but has a wonderful gift for putting the most complex and sublime ideas into language that anyone can understand (CS Lewis had a touch of the same gift). Benedict also has a vast hinterland in the music, art, drama and sculpture of Europe, given even deeper roots by his knowledge of Classical civilisation and the historical context of the origins of the Church.

Benedict's spiritual profundity enables him to be indifferent to the demands that the Church should accommodate passing secular whims in the First World. His gift of expression makes him a great teacher. His depth of culture makes him intolerant of ugly slip-shod liturgies that (however unintentionally) cause people spiritual harm.

However he is one of the last of his kind. I fear for what may come after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

Michael G wrote: »
    However he is one of the last of his kind. I fear for what may come after him.

As he gets to choose the men who vote for his successor is he not in a position to ensure this continuity even after he's gone?

• Advertisement

eblistic wrote: »
    As he gets to choose the men who vote for his successor is he not in a position to ensure this continuity even after he's gone?
    No. That is what I was trying to say. The next Pope may try to preserve as much as he can of what Benedict leaves behind, but Benedict is one of the last of his kind as a European. After him, we are in new territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Not to sound morbid, but does anyone here (Catholics) have in mind any worthy successors? Are there Cardinals appointed by JPII and BXVI that will continue this conservative trend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Not to sound morbid, but does anyone here (Catholics) have in mind any worthy successors? Are there Cardinals appointed by JPII and BXVI that will continue this conservative trend?

"I Papabili" the favorites don't always get the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

No. That is what I was trying to say. The next Pope may try to preserve as much as he can of what Benedict leaves behind, but Benedict is one of the last of his kind as a European. After him, we are in new territory.

Pope Benedict is a brilliant mind! But so had JPII. But the Church needs different people for different times. St. Pio X came from a extremely poor family and was just a Man of God (also intelligent).

At the end of the day, the Pope as Bishop of Rome is the custodian of faith. No Pope can change the Faith of the Church, its inherited and at times clarified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

alex73 wrote: »
    "I Papabili" the favorites don't always get the position.

But surely the amount of Cardinals appointed by John Paul over the course of his long papacy and those appointed by Benedict would have very similar attitudes to their patrons, epecially since John Paul II's Universi Dominici gregis apostolic constitution?

Even a compromise candidate would most likely mirror the conservative trend seen lately? Or are there wild cards being appointed in error?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The General.

I dont know how anyone can believe in all this muck tht the church says.I'm talking about anything it says about "Jesus" and "God" and all that sh*te.

There are some excellent new candidates, like Cardinal Raymond Burke, Cardinal Canizares Llovera, Cardinal Arinze and others. I'm really looking forward to the next Pope, though of course I want to hold on to Benedict XVI for as long as the good God desires.

I dont know how anyone can believe in all this muck tht the church says.I'm talking about anything it says about "Jesus" and "God" and all that sh*te.
    I think you are here just to feel pain in a dirty way :D. Each to his own. Enjoy. But take care with the personal hygiene afterwards.

Even a compromise candidate would most likely mirror the conservative trend seen lately? Or are there wild cards being appointed in error?
    Yes, a conservative candidate probably would try to do that. However he would probably not have such deep roots in European/Classical culture and philosophy as Benedict has and John Paul (though more in philosophy than in culture) had. The next Pope's foundation in culture and philosophy may not be so deep.

Yes, a conservative candidate probably would try to do that. However he would probably not have such deep roots in European/Classical culture and philosophy as Benedict has and John Paul (though more in philosophy than in culture) had. The next Pope's foundation in culture and philosophy may not be so deep.

Michael, who do you think would make a good Pope? (I think Cardinal Arinze would be class!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I'd love to see Cardinal Burke getting in. A long papacy under his stewardship would see a separation of the wheat from the chaff.

ubertrad wrote: »
    Michael, who do you think would make a good Pope? (I think Cardinal Arinze would be class!)
    So do I, and I think Cardinal Burke would make a fine Pope too. Mind you, I would not be disappointed to see Archbishop Martin as Pope.

For anyone who wants to get to know Cardinal Arinze (the first one is funny):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

yeah, Cardinal Arinze is really good. but I think he is getting old.almost 80 now?

• Advertisement

yeah, Cardinal Arinze is really good. but I think he is getting old.almost 80 now?

Yeah I think so, but I think he is in pretty good shape. Benedict is 84 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

eblistic wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could I ask for opinions of Catholics specifically and Christians generally on the Pope and whether he's been a positive or negative force for either cause so far? Not looking for a poll. Just thoughts.

It just stems from one or two conversations with Catholic friends, who I'd have had down as liberal and pretty a-la-carte themselves, but who announced their respect for what they considered his principled conservatism. It took me by surprise a little so I was wondering if this view is widely held?
    I think he has been good for both - restoring order in the Catholic Church, and reminding Christians what the Roman Catholic Church is all about.

Woolly-minded Christians should now be fully aware that ecumenism means us falling into line with them, not a reformation of morals and doctrine in the RCC.

John 4: 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Advertisement