Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Tyres for 25km+

• 10-01-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice on tyres.

I own a 2006 Honda accord estate.

Travel approx 25k a year mostly on motorways, stick to 135kph.

At the moment I have bridgestone potonza 225/45 R17 and I replaced them in Sep/Oct and I need a new front pair already!

I'm just looking at Bridgstone ER300 now, but if any of you guys could recommend a good tyre from your own experience it would be of great help.

Cheers
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Vredistreins. I cant think of the model etc but i will check..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

im using potenzas now too. finding them to be very poor in just about every conceivable circumstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Potenzas are worse than useless in the snow/frost. Here OP I started this old thread. Have a look through it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055972736

• Registered Users Posts: 21 isainmdom

had vredestein sportrac 3 on they lasted for 21000 miles with a small bit of life left,was surprised as they were a softer compound and on the driving wheels,useless in frost and ice,but stuck to the road well in all other conditions,have bridgestone turanza er300 on the others,they have 16000 miles on them with probably another 10 or so left,had to replace two of them as buckled an alloy in a pothole so tyre developed a bulge,put on michelin energy all garage had in stock ,they have 6000 on them and no real sign of wear,meant to be a long lasting tyre will see how they go but again in the ice wont grip much,thats from driving motorway and country roads bout 35 k miles a year on a 3 series bmw,good luck with search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bridgestone potenzas on the front of my vRS Octavia tdi and at 7.5k kilometers there is not much left in them
    My local tyre fitter suggests i use Hankook

Your car takes the same as my one
    These are the tyres he suggests >>Hankook
    He quoted me €110 per tyre fitted and balance
    Thats cheaper than bringing them in

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    These are the tyres he suggests >>Hankook
    He quoted me €110 per tyre fitted and balance
    Thats cheaper than bringing them in

:eek: summer tyres, shame on you Vectra :pac:
    (Only joking I have budget summers on the ZT, Accelera Phi and find them happy out, they were also on the 520i I had and even on wet private roads they were disappointingly good, loads of folk in the UK run them on Alfa 159s or whatever the new ish Alfa is that runs 19s)

RoverJames wrote: »
    :eek: summer tyres, shame on you Vectra :pac:

Not paying 200+ for winters or all seasons..
    Just drive slower in the slippery weather and you will get there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Eco contacts...they are expensive being continentals but my fronts were half worn after 17k miles when traded in...admittedly a 1.4 focus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I would recommend Dunlop SP FastResponse. I have them on my Superb, and the last set lasted 35K mls, and they were not even down to the indicator yet.

My driving is about 90% Motorway driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice on tyres.

I own a 2006 Honda accord estate.

Travel approx 25k a year mostly on motorways, stick to 135kph.

At the moment I have bridgestone potonza 225/45 R17 and I replaced them in Sep/Oct and I need a new front pair already!

I'm just looking at Bridgstone ER300 now, but if any of you guys could recommend a good tyre from your own experience it would be of great help.

Cheers
    J

You can even it out also by rotating the tyres at around 20k.
    If its a diesel the extra weight on the front combined with the extra torque can eat front tyres much more quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've about 60,000km on my Conti Premium Contacts on the Accord (205/55/16). Still about 5mm of tread left - practically all motorway work.

The Diesel will be heavier on tyres, but to be worn already at that mileage (mainly motorway) is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

For longevity and effeciency, Michelin are hard to beat.

DubDani wrote: »
    I would recommend Dunlop SP FastResponse. I have them on my Superb, and the last set lasted 35K mls, and they were not even down to the indicator yet.

My driving is about 90% Motorway driving.

They got quite a good review on tyretest
    Hmm..
    Another option for me ;)

STForSale wrote: »

Any particular ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

STForSale wrote: »
    Dunno, I had 225/55/R17 Michelin Primacy on my C5 and they were well shot after 15k miles.
    vectra wrote: »
    Bridgestone potenzas on the front of my vRS Octavia tdi and at 7.5k kilometers there is not much left in them

:eek: Flamin' Nora!

In terms of wear, I have Federal Supersteel 595 (or something like that) 225/50/R17 on my GS300 for the last 10k miles and I don't think they're worn at all! Note these are cheapass budget tyres and wouldn't be recommended if you like to push it in the corners but should be fine for motorway cruising. Wouldn't buy them myself but when there's already 4 new ones on a car when you buy it, it's hard to say no...... And they do last....

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Have PS3's myself and can't fault them.
    For that sort of mileage probably worth looking at an energy saver.
    Last longer, shorter braking distances and up to 5% saving on fuel?

@padraigmor, if you tyres are hardly worn after 10K miles, your grip must be non existant.

quick google, review of that tyre varies form adequate to outright dangerous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Also an Accord owner (petrol saloon), and I recently changed front tires from Bridgestone Potenzas to Continental SportContacts. Car feels much better now - Conti's are way quieter and there's absolutely no tramlining now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

In comparing to Michelin Energy savers, Michelin Primacy HP is worth to look as they are nice motorway tyres and last long. I expect better grip them than energy savers as it is upper class in Michelin scale.

There was 5 euro per tyre difference between them when I bought my 205/55/16 tyres.

Advertisement