Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help estimate the cost of running a car

• 10-01-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

We're considering getting a car in the coming months and just trying to estimate how much it's going to cost us in real life. Please help to put some rough numbers on it (the car itself doesn't matter, just running it)... we never owned one, embarrassing I know :cool: Very very roughly, how much should we expect to shell out yearly for the insurance, tax, NCT, petrol?

We want to get a second hand Polo or Golf (or something along these lines, nothing wild or fancy), few years old. The car is just for weekly shop and weekend trips, around Dublin or sometimes further afield. An odd evening class perhaps. We're in early thirties, I've had my full driving license for 13 years but never really had a car of my own, he has prov license, took classes here. Both can drive, no history of any accidents or claims. Both Polish if it matters...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

We really can't guess insurance, tax and nct!
    Insurance will be very specific to you, ring around to a few brokers and get an idea.

Tax depends entirely on the car, or engine size to be specific (Assuming it's an older pre 08 car)

And the NCT will cost 50 quid, but a car may already have the nct sorted for a good while anyway.

Oh and petrol will depend on the car and mileage and driving style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If you drive 10k miles in a year, then I think the cost is at least 3000-4000e per year, everything included.

Both my old Matiz and my Volvo s40 were around those figures.

Having a car is expensive, no matter what the car is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Thanks for this! I'm only trying to get some general idea so anything helps. Insurance quotes do vary quite a bit and from what we've been told the actual thing will be different from online quotes anyway :/ I guess I need to talk to brokers so.

€€€€s for insurance
    + €400 tax (max really if you keep the engine size 1.4 or below)
    + €2480 for petrol (less than 300 miles/week at 30mpg)
    + €1000 for maintenance (2 services and a set of tyres, increase by another €500 if you need a timing belt etc or if something goes wrong).

That's a guesstimate for 15,000 miles a year.

Add in whatever it costs you to buy it and many folks also try and save a few quid to replace the car in a few years time :)

Advertisement