Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Erm consoles are starting to loose their shine tbh. PS3 is fuxored since its been hacked and the Xbox will follow. PC gaming will be at the fore again, mark my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

TheFairy wrote: »
    Erm consoles are starting to loose their shine tbh. PS3 is fuxored since its been hacked and the Xbox will follow. PC gaming will be at the fore again, mark my words.
    It won't. A console will do for 5 plus years, a gaming pc wouldn't as you'd always want the best specs much more cost prohibitive especially for famalies

It won't. A console will do for 5 plus years, a gaming pc wouldn't as you'd always want the best specs much more cost prohibitive especially for famalies

A cheap as chips PC will blow away the gfx on a console at the moment, and be a far more useful tool to the whole family.

A cheap as chips PC will blow away the gfx on a console at the moment, and be a far more useful tool to the whole family.
    I agree completely, but lets say you've two kids, is it easier to get a console which both can play at once, or a pc that only one can play

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Console: programmers push console to limit
    PC: what limit? Lets add fully destructible trees. Not work on your machine? Buy this gfx card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

is it easier to get a console which both can play at once, or a pc that only one can play

huh :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Auvers wrote: »
    huh :confused:

He means two player split screen stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Any chance we could back to how this game is gonna be, even its a year away rather than Pc console wars?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

RMD wrote: »
    All of this talk of hoping it's an original BF game I just don't see it happening. BC2 completely out performed the older BF games in terms of sales considering it was on all consoles. I just don't see them creating a game with the old fans in charge, more than likely they'll be following the money trail which leads straight to the console platforms. A good console game will dramtically outsell a good PC game and I think that's whats going to happen here.

True, but they can still implement the positive things from BF2 without much fuss like spawning on SL only, CMMDR mode and no PRONE!!! YES I SAID IT NO GOD DAM PRONE. ;)

Consoles out this long are starting to lose their shine alright.....all sony have to do is release PS4 and a new GTA game where you can gang rape a jack russell in 3D and the hype goes mental again.

I am 33 and still piss my pants when a new GTA game is announced...lol :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

DICE have said time and time again that BF3 was MADE for pc gaming and tweaked and adjusted for consoles. Pc gamers will get the best version no matter what happens. As for the prone stuff, once dolphin diving isnt a problem the way it was with BF2 then ill be ok with it. Even if only recon was to get prone that would still be nice.

steve_ wrote: »
    Even if only recon was to get prone that would still be nice.

Need they get ANOTHER advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Recon wookies should have to wear a flourescent yellow jacket and lead boots.
    I think BF3 is gonna be the best thing to hit the PC in years. Have you all seen the gameplay footage? It looks as good as Crysis 1 or 2 easily. The destructability makes these games so much better than anything else out there. 64 players on the PC WOOP WOOP, DX11 Frostbite 2 graphics :D :eek: Jet :D helicopters :D. and the squad play in the BF games makes them so much better and encourage teamwork much more.
    Most of my clan have pre ordered this already, me included.
    I doubt very much we'll be dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I never found Recon to be advantageous over other classes.......not with me behind the gun anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    True, but they can still implement the positive things from BF2 without much fuss like spawning on SL only, CMMDR mode and no PRONE!!! YES I SAID IT NO GOD DAM PRONE. ;)
    Can't wait for them to bring back prone! Nothing better than to snipe people whilst prone. Like, there should be a setting where, unless you are prone, you have no accuracy if using a scoped weapon. In BFBC2, I used to kill people using a scoped M60. Fun, but seriously, wtf?

=-=

Jet + C4 + destructible building = no escape from me :P

the_syco wrote: »
    Can't wait for them to bring back prone! Nothing better than to snipe people whilst prone. Like, there should be a setting where, unless you are prone, you have no accuracy if using a scoped weapon. In BFBC2, I used to kill people using a scoped M60. Fun, but seriously, wtf?

=-=

Jet + C4 + destructible building = no escape from me :P
    Maybe have it so the bipod has to be resting on something for accuracy?? that way you can still snipe from buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

RMD wrote: »
    All of this talk of hoping it's an original BF game I just don't see it happening. BC2 completely out performed the older BF games in terms of sales considering it was on all consoles. I just don't see them creating a game with the old fans in charge, more than likely they'll be following the money trail which leads straight to the console platforms. A good console game will dramtically outsell a good PC game and I think that's whats going to happen here.

You have a point but the problem with your point is this. I'm a gamer and as a gamer who loves games, naturally I hope for the best product possible. That means hoping for it to be like the PC BF series. Because the fact of the matter is, while the console version may have made more money, as games they are weaker. They are not as good. Simple as.

Now a large part of why they ARE not as good is simply due to the limitations of the platform itself, what works on PC does not always work on console.

So the hope is, the PC version of BF3 will be very different to the console version, not just in server population but, no health regen, no ammo regen, team damage on, only spawn on squad leaders, more skill needed to fly aircraft, dedicated servers, the ability to change teams, prone for all characters, voice and text chat in-game for squad , team and global. Server Admins, etc etc etc.

Personally I hope the maps layout will even be a little different but this is unlikely. Naturally better graphics are a given.

DICE have mentioned this will be a pc game 1st, console game 2nd. So I am pretty hopeful.

I agree with what another poster said earlier on, if done right this is likely to be the biggest MP shooter on the PC and stay on that top spot for at least 2 years. DICE know this.

I agree, there is a huge gap in the market for a game to totally dominate and lock the genre down. I dont know if DICE/EA actually know this or have coped on, they have an awful knack of FOOKIN things up TBH.

I certainly hope they release an outstanding game I really do....but my "QUEEN BEE" will hit the fookin roof the amount of time I will be on my PC again... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LMAO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Comments here from Patrick Soderlund:

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84572/battlefield-3-online-can-handle-256-players-but-its-not-fun

"We play tested with 128. You’ve got to make a game that’s fun to play. And, arguably, we think that the most fun you can have is when it’s between 32 and 40 players. And we’ve done substantial research into this and tested 128 and that it’s not fun."

Most fun is between 32 and 40? A bit self-condemning when they have a limit of 24 on the console editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Spear wrote: »

Most fun is between 32 and 40? A bit self-condemning when they have a limit of 24 on the console editions.

Yep it is. But its also very encouraging! They could have lowered the bandwidth required to have up to 32 players for the consoles, like in BC2, but they didnt. They're really going for maximium PC experience with this game.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »

Wasn't there something posted a page or two back that said consoles would actually get 32 and not 24....?

Wasn't there something posted a page or two back that said consoles would actually get 32 and not 24....?

It later confirmed to be 24. One of the previews made some false claims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

It all depends on map size and freedom. No point having 32 players and having a map setup like BC2 that funnels everyone into a small area to fight over a sequence of objectives. Back to BF roots and large maps with freedom to move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

karma_ wrote: »
    Back to BF roots and large maps with freedom to move around.

It's all in the name for sure.
    May as well have called BF:BC Bottleneck Bad Company tbh.

/Me Points

Its d22, he's still alive. You coming back to play BF3 D?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Well as a single player game it looks astonishing but i guess i will wait to see some multi-player action and of course the minimum specs needed to play it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Be cool to get as many of the old crew back for some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

karma_ wrote: »
    Be cool to get as many of the old crew back for some craic.

Im sure everyone will get it, some will moan about the rankings, some will moan about a weapon, some wont play it due to CTD on start up, some will moan about tanks, some will play with some stupid rule like only 7.62mm bullets, some will EA are the devil, some will say its the best game ever, some will say its not real battlefield....................

So no real change from any other BF game.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ...So no real change from any other BF game.

True, however dedicated servers and prone will keep most of the real BF fans happy. If they took BF2 and blinged the graphics and added some similar maps then they are half way there imo.

Also add CTF back into the game, it was so missing from BFV and BF2. CTF on 1942, especially in the DC mod was seriously good fun. We used to run a BF42 DC server, and we set it to CTF on No Fly Zone. The game went on for 3 or 4 days before a side won it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement