Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I always use heavy barrel.

Not big fan of tactical light. It's a great addon for confusing the bejaysus of people, but it gives out your position more often then actuoly being usefull. I am team player, but I do alot of sneaky **** behind enemy lines, so it's not good for me.

Red dot sight is a lighter version of tactical light. I use it more for blinding, then aiming. As mentioned above, it really ****s up my stealthy sneaky asshole play. So not much use for me.

Silencer... Dunno, just not that handy for me on g36c. I guess I still got a choped penys sindrome while using it. As it looks like it decreases range on Guns.

So yeah... Heavy barrel is best item for me in that slot. Engineers weapons are not best known for range, so I can't afford to sacrifice range for some flashy gadgets.

I am being very clean with my setups. Halo graphic sight
    Grip
    Heavy barrel.

No sneaky **** from me. No tactical lights, no irvn scopes ( getting nerfed thx god! ) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

TBH, the heavy barrell is very good. But ONLY when ZOOMED up, it does more accuracy bit the trade off is recoil but its vertical. But I use that to my advantage, aim for the neck and it kicks to the head = quick kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Good stuff.. Geez I didn't know that the Underslung Rail had that effect, must give it a shot tonight cos really kicking ass with the M320 frags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mozattack wrote: »
    Good stuff.. Geez I didn't know that the Underslung Rail had that effect, must give it a shot tonight cos really kicking ass with the M320 frags.
    I hate you :) and everybody else that uses them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Patch released for PC today. Needed to restart Origin to download it. Downloading now. here's hoping it fixes the stuttering that has caused me not to play the game at all really.

Here's the patch notes from Eurogamer's story, although you might get more in depth ones over on the battlelog site.
    A "major" client update for Battlefield 3 on PC is now live, as of 9am this morning, EA has confirmed.

Console versions of the patch are also due, but are taking longer due to the platforms' certification processes.

Highlights include an updated squad interface, designed to make playing with friends and Platoon chums easier. Players can now select Squads to join, allowing for servers to better balance teams.

The full change log lies below. There's still no sign of camaros.
    Client-Side Changes:

Visuals, Stability and Performance Fixes:

General performance and loading time improvements
    "Black Screen" fix for an issue occurring on some PC Configurations
    Stereo and Rendering Support for Nvidia and AMD Graphics Cards
    Adjusted the "stuttering" encountered on some PC configurations.
    Fixed several Crashes when joining MP and Co-Op sessions
    Fixed multiple problems when using multiple monitors (Eyefinity / Surround).
    Fixed visual corruption issues on certain Nvidia Cards
    Improved loading times for certain textures
    Added console command "GameTime.MaxVariableFps" to limit max FPS
    Added console command "UI.DrawEnable" to hide UI for screenshots / videos

Play in standard definition
    Play in high definition
    Server Update Highlights

EOD Bot exploit fix
    Several crash fixes
    Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings
    Improved team kill kick configuration
    Support for unranked servers. Unranked servers do not report players' scores to Battlelog, but server administrators can freely control all settings

Share your profile and stats with new Battlelog functionality

Ability to share your Profile and Stats pages to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter
    User Profile and Stats pages on Battlelog can now be accessed without being signed in to Battlelog if you know a user's URL
    Single sign on from Battlelog to Origin. If you're not logged in to Origin and join a game server, Battlelog will automatically sign you in to Origin in the background and join the game server

Quick notes on Squad changes in the Nov 22 update

Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
    Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members
    Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
    Disable Privacy flag when 1 man squad
    Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when squad drops to 1 player
    All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad Selection screen
    Players who choose not to join squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad" line
    Squads that are currently empty will display as white - if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Hopefully the audio dropouts are fixed.

Did anyone else have that issue before?

Ambient sounds just go mute, sometimes even gun sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

waveform wrote: »
    Hopefully the audio dropouts are fixed.

Did anyone else have that issue before?

Ambient sounds just go mute, sometimes even gun sounds.

Yes!! I never mentioned it because I thought it was just my crappy net. But I just got y new BB installed, and same issues last night :(

TL: DR (important fixes) version
    - Heli's now OP, scar and G3 nerf, handgun buff, IGLA and Stinger now completely useless, black screen fix, stutter fix, crash fix, EOD exploit gone, no more 'spawn+bang+dead again' fix, and they're 90% of the way to decent squad menu.

Here's the full changelog:
    Patch notes for Nov 22 patch
    Major client update for the PC version Battlefield 3 as well as a server-side update for all platforms.

The update will be made on Nov. 22nd 7:00 AM UTC / Nov. 21st 11:00 PM PST.

We’ll share release timing on the console patches as soon as we are clear on the timing, these take a bit longer due to console certification process.

---- Client-Side Changes:

-- Visuals, Stability and Performance Fixes:

• General performance and loading time improvements
    • “Black Screen” fix for an issue occurring on some PC Configurations
    • Stereo and Rendering Support for Nvidia and AMD Graphics Cards
    • Adjusted the “stuttering” encountered on some PC configurations.
    • Fixed several Crashes when joining MP and Co-Op sessions
    • Fixed multiple problems when using multiple monitors (Eyefinity / Surround).
    • Fixed visual corruption issues on certain Nvidia Cards
    • Improved loading times for certain textures
    • Added console command “GameTime.MaxVariableFps” to limit max FPS

-- Balance and Gameplay Adjustments (PC)

• Fixed a problem with high speed mouse movement
    • Added back some missing Growlers on Kharg Island Conquest Large
    • Added back EOR sound for SQDM and TDM
    • You should no longer be able to damage a friendly vehicle when sitting in an open position
    • Grenades now drop to ground if you get killed while attempting to throw it(note the affect this will have on Hardcore mode!)
    • Spawn protection now should work in Conquest. You should no longer spawn on points too close to enemies
    • You should no longer spawn too close to enemies in TDM and SQDM
    • Combat areas on Kharg Rush tweaked in order to disallow defenders to access the carrier ship after 1st base is taken and being able to enter the AA gun
    • Fixed a problem with revived players not suffering suppression
    • Fixed a problem with the camera when being revived in COOP
    • Added joystick deadzone setting
    • Fixed sound for when climbing ladders
    • Fixed an issue with some weapon sounds in first person
    • Fixed a swim sound loop error
    • Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns, AA guns, and Jet Cannons against infantry
    • Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns against jeeps.
    • Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and Jet Cannons, players under attack from these weapons should no longer lose control.
    • Increased the damage of the 44 Magnum slightly.
    • Increased the range and minimum damage of the .357 Round from the MP412 Rex.
    • Increased the range of all .45cal and 9mm weapons.
    • Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R.
    • Slightly increased the range of the 5.56mm PDW-R and decreased the minimum damage at long range.
    • Slightly increased the minimum range of the Mk11, SVD, and M39 EMR 7.62mm rifles.
    • Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons.
    • Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft.
    • Increased the damage and range of the 40mm BUCK rounds.
    • Reduced the damage .50cal weapons do against Helicopters.
    • Updated T90 canister shell tweaks to match Abrams canister shells
    UI Changes (PC)
    • Added round duration and ticket summary at EOR
    • Advanced squad polish – should be more intuitive
    • Significant changes to the Join Squad functionality (see below)
    • Fixed a problem regarding keybindings while playing
    • You should now get a better error message when being disconnected via Battlelog

---- Server Update Highlights

• EOD Bot exploit fix
    • Several crash fixes
    • Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings
    • Improved team kill kick configuration
    • Support for unranked servers. Unranked servers do not report players' scores to Battlelog, but server administrators can freely control all settings

-- Share your profile and stats with new Battlelog functionality

• Ability to share your Profile and Stats pages to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter
    • User Profile and Stats pages on Battlelog can now be accessed without being signed in to Battlelog if you know a user's URL
    • Single sign on from Battlelog to Origin. If you're not logged in to Origin and join a game server, Battlelog will automatically sign you in to Origin in the background and join the game server

-- Quick notes on Squad changes in the Nov 22 update

• Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
    • Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members
    • Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
    • Disable Privacy flag when 1 man squad
    • Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when squad drops to 1 player
    • All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad Selection screen
    • Players who choose not to join squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad” line
    • Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text

-- A detailed look at Squad refinements

A detailed look at Squad refinements

Today's PC client patch features numerous tweaks to Squad functionality and is part of our ongoing efforts to make it easier to play with friends and Platoon mates. These changes will also be implemented for consoles when we release the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 updates shortly. Stay tuned for the exact date of the console updates.

First, we need to look at how joining with Squads and Platoons affects the balance of teams. Initially, servers are commanded to equal out each side, so joining with friends can impact that balance while joining with Platoons further hinders this. As a result we have made some adjustments to the in-game Squad management screen.

For PC, you are now able to highlight the various Squads and select which one you wish to join by selecting a Squad and then clicking the Join Squad button. Please note that the Squad Privacy option still allows 2 man Squads which, during 64 player sessions, can lead to players with no squad position –- the number of people with no Squads will be shown at the bottom of the Squad selection list.

After the patch is applied to consoles (in the near future) you will be able to join Squads by cycling through the list and selecting which Squad you wish to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Funny there's no mention of tactical lights after they posted screenshots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I don't understand the nerf to the IGLA either, it's nigh on impossible to hit anything when their flares reload so quickly, there is no point going AA as engineer especially when there is so much armour floating around on the large maps.

karma_ wrote: »
    I don't understand the nerf to the IGLA either, it's nigh on impossible to hit anything when their flares reload so quickly, there is no point going AA as engineer especially when there is so much armour floating around on the large maps.

I purposely join 'flying training' n00b servers just to get a few hits with it lol

They have made them pretty pointless now - the only real AA threat are the LAV / Tunguska or other aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I purposely join 'flying training' n00b servers just to get a few hits with it lol

They have made them pretty pointless now - the only real AA threat are the LAV / Tunguska or other aircraft.

Considering I only have one confirmed kill with either SAM and I've used them several times, I don't think I will ever be using them again.

sink wrote: »
    Considering I only have one confirmed kill with either SAM and I've used them several times, I don't think I will ever be using them again.

I have 4 x IGLA, 3 x Stinger kills, out of 161 shots fired in total.

When I look at it like that, they really are pointless. However, accuracy is about 30%, indicating I have about 53 hits (meaning vehicle damage / disable etc)

These stats will drop off considerably with the patch I'd imagine. Quite how they ever thought they were OP I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Out of curiosity, did anyone feel that the Stinger/IGLA were overpowered at all? And, sadly, no mention of the Javelin being fixed (unless there was a previous patch that I didn't notice) so I guess it's back to using the SOFLAM and MBT Guided Shells as an anti-air solution for the time being >_>

Robby91 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did anyone feel that the Stinger/IGLA were overpowered at all?1 And, sadly, no mention of the Javelin being fixed2 (unless there was a previous patch that I didn't notice) so I guess it's back to using the SOFLAM and MBT Guided Shells as an anti-air solution for the time being >_>

1. Nope, far underpowered and WAY too easy to counter with flares.

2. Do you mean the fact that the bloody thing never hits? (or does so little damage that you're much better off using RPG / SMAW?)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Stinger needed a range boost if anything, its painful against jets as they just pop flares and fly off until they recharge :mad:

Glad they're fixing the physics of the AA and jet guns VS helis, felt like you were getting rammed!!

Yeah glad they fixed that. 1 hit and still on 70% but the chopper starts flying sideways was a real pain.

When using the Stinger/IGLA, I tend to wait until the flares or dropped before I shoot, as you've a much better chance.

Of course this is dependent on an ally jet shooting first, or a fellow AA soldier shooting first, or on the pilot panicking.

If you had another engineer in your squad, it would be great to team up with the AA's, you'd both be guaranteed a hit for every 2 missiles launched.

But of course it seems like a waste of time now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

waveform wrote: »
    When using the Stinger/IGLA, I tend to wait until the flares or dropped before I shoot, as you've a much better chance.

Of course this is dependent on an ally jet shooting first, or a fellow AA soldier shooting first, or on the pilot panicking.

If you had another engineer in your squad, it would be great to team up with the AA's, you'd both be guaranteed a hit for every 2 missiles launched.

But of course it seems like a waste of time now!

You can't do that, the flares reset your lock, especially if the pilot has stealth, and like the earlier poster said by the time you attempt to relock it's well out of range.

choppers aren't much better, if both the pilot and co-pilot have flares.

karma_ wrote: »
    You can't do that, the flares reset your lock, especially if the pilot has stealth, and like the earlier poster said by the time you attempt to relock it's well out of range.

choppers aren't much better, if both the pilot and co-pilot have flares.

I used to gain my lock after the flares were dropped so that wasn't much of a problem for me, maybe I just got lucky with the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

1. Nope, far underpowered and WAY too easy to counter with flares.

2. Do you mean the fact that the bloody thing never hits? (or does so little damage that you're much better off using RPG / SMAW?)

Javelin is shiet indeed. Unusable vs aircrafts and tickles ground machinery. I just droped it after first time I used it. I was so dissapointed :(. Even damn MW has more fun javelin in MP...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

I was so excited when I unlocked that thing :( , spent a whole round soflam'ing choppers for squad mates to javelin and they missed about four out of five attempts, genuinely easy ones as well with the chopper hovering on the spot, the useless thing whizzed under it then attempted to uppercut it but missed by six feet and disappeared into the heavens never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Javelin is shiet indeed. Unusable vs aircrafts and tickles ground machinery. I just droped it after first time I used it. I was so dissapointed :(. Even damn MW has more fun javelin in MP...

Javelins are grand as long as you don't fire them line of sight. Lock on, then aim way above your target before firing. This will ensure a hit most of the time and will grant extra damage given it's a top attack missile. Stingers are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

lads i just rented this and only realised when i got home that you need a bloody pass anyone got one spare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

lads i just rented this and only realised when i got home that you need a bloody pass anyone got one spare ?

Nope, ours are one-use only and you only get the one in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I was playing Conquest earlier with a friend and we were both shooting at this guy. I put a whole UMP clip into him while my friend put all of his LMG clip in and it did nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I was playing Conquest earlier with a friend and we were both shooting at this guy. I put a whole UMP clip into him while my friend put all of his LMG clip in and it did nothing.
    I've had plenty of encounters like that tonight,can only put it down to lag.
    Lost every one on one,had one lad running at me,shot him a heap of times in the head,his head was knocking back like a rag-doll,bang I'm dead and he still has 100% health :mad:

I tell you one thing that will start driving people absolute mental, is when the higher ranked players (:D) can shoot down jets and choppers with the tanks and nothing you can do about it unless you are high ranked with the ECM jammer unlocked.

Not even flares can stop the tanks as its laser guided....so its 100% KILL!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Not even flares can stop the tanks as its laser guided....so its 100% KILL!
    Is it always a kill? There's been a few times where my brother's landed a guided shell on transport heli's and he said that he only got points for disabling the chopper. I couldn't really tell whether it was the chopper being sturdy enough to take the hit or just poor luck on our part and, for one reason or another, the chopper barely survived (although, the vast majority of guided shells on heli's have been one-hit kills)

Have to say, the game feels more and more like COD in relation to the upgrades for the vehicles IMHO....very dissapointed TBH.

You grind away for these super de duper upgrades and unlock them and TBH the tanks and heli's feel the exact same. I unlocked the ECM last night and I am getting hit left right and centre it blocks **** all. Its says that it has both capabilities to block laser and heat seekers so what the **** is going on it has to be a bug coz it blocks nothing.

Same with the laser guided tank missiles, I have hit a tank from the side with the guided missile before it even sees me then hit it with normal shells and the other tank turns and hits me twice even with all my reactive armour and or maintance....a load of bollocks and so dissapointing.

Might aswell equip smoke and fast re loading...its alot better. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Have to say, the game feels more and more like COD in relation to the upgrades for the vehicles IMHO....very dissapointed TBH.

You grind away for these super de duper upgrades and unlock them and TBH the tanks and heli's feel the exact same. I unlocked the ECM last night and I am getting hit left right and centre it blocks **** all. Its says that it has both capabilities to block laser and heat seekers so what the **** is going on it has to be a bug coz it blocks nothing.

Same with the laser guided tank missiles, I have hit a tank from the side with the guided missile before it even sees me then hit it with normal shells and the other tank turns and hits me twice even with all my reactive armour and or maintance....a load of bollocks and so dissapointing.

Might aswell equip smoke and fast re loading...its alot better. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yea, the tank and heli upgrades in CoD are pretty lame :rolleyes:

Advertisement