Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Spear wrote: »
    Comments here from Patrick Soderlund:

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84572/battlefield-3-online-can-handle-256-players-but-its-not-fun

"We play tested with 128. You’ve got to make a game that’s fun to play. And, arguably, we think that the most fun you can have is when it’s between 32 and 40 players. And we’ve done substantial research into this and tested 128 and that it’s not fun."

Most fun is between 32 and 40? A bit self-condemning when they have a limit of 24 on the console editions.

Aaarrgghh Patrick Soderlund, **** your research! 128 players would be amazing... nothing, I mean nothing has yet touched the experience of first driving with a dozen tanks on ABerdeen in an armoured spearhead..

Actually when I am playing Vietnam me and a mate grab the D flag on Hastings, manage to scoop both Helicopters, make sure we pick up some passengers, then formation fly them low and fast side by side for maximum cinematic effect.. good times good times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Stingerbar wrote: »
    Aaarrgghh Patrick Soderlund, **** your research! 128 players would be amazing... nothing, I mean nothing has yet touched the experience of first driving with a dozen tanks on ABerdeen in an armoured spearhead..

Actually when I am playing Vietnam me and a mate grab the D flag on Hastings, manage to scoop both Helicopters, make sure we pick up some passengers, then formation fly them low and fast side by side for maximum cinematic effect.. good times good times
    I don't think I would find 128 players fun at all. I hated 64 in BF, 32 was the sweet spot I felt. 28 is better for BC cause of smaller maps etc.

More players =/= more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Jim wrote: »
    I don't think I would find 128 players fun at all. I hated 64 in BF, 32 was the sweet spot I felt. 28 is better for BC cause of smaller maps etc.

64 BF2 was excellent. Some great battles were had on some maps. I remember one Karkand round being particularly epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jim wrote: »

Yeah make it Inf ony too :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

dreamers75 wrote: »

And where exactly did he say inf only in his post? We not allowed to not like 64 player servers next? Not the first snide remark I've seen from you on this thread, although I'm not altogether surprised.

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    And where exactly did he say inf only in his post? We not allowed to not like 64 player servers next? Not the first snide remark I've seen from you on this thread, although I'm not altogether surprised.

Bloody hell, untwist those french frillys.

He was onbiously getting at the fact that one of the best things about BF2 was the scale of the battles, and was making a jibe at the others guys opinion.

Thats all.

Relax da kax. Jaysus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Bloody hell, untwist those french frillys.

He was onbiously getting at the fact that one of the best things about BF2 was the scale of the battles, and was making a jibe at the others guys opinion.

Thats all.

Relax da kax. Jaysus.

Shan't.

karma_ wrote: »
    Shan't.

Coola boola. As they say. Whoever 'they' are. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Lol that you dis Inf Only, yet it became the most played mode in BF2 by a far mile due to the vehicle imbalance. The other BF games didnt suffer from this. 128 and 64 player servers where meh imo as well, all you had were pockets of fighting. Smaller numbers gave a more coherent fight on the one front, far better fun, again IMO!

No?

*shrug*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just to drag this back on topic..... How F'in sweet are those trailers the attention to detail is fantastic but what blows me away are the lighting effects. When they open the door to the rooftop in the sniper trailer and the sun light blinds you a little bit.
    And also at the very beginning of the other trailer when the squad get out of the APC the light coming through the archway down the road... just stunning!
    This is just the incentive i need to keep on saving for my PC, for some reason i don't think my PS3 or Xbox will do it justice. :)

'F'ucked up, but still up' < class line.

Oh and the combat looks savage too.

weiland79 wrote: »
    for some reason i don't think my PS3 or Xbox will do it justice. :)

Anyone? Anyone? Buller?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

And also at the very beginning of the other trailer when the squad get out of the APC the light coming through the archway down the road... just stunning!
    This is just the incentive i need to keep on saving for my PC, for some reason i don't think my PS3 or Xbox will do it justice. :)

'F'ucked up, but still up' < class line.

Oh and the combat looks savage too.

Make sure you get it for PC! It wont be the same experience on the consoles; I mean it can't be!

That second episode looks as amazing as the first. Hopefully they'll be able to implement the proning properly and use lessons learned from BF2 patching. If done correctly, it can only add to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

This might sound weird but i think ill play the single player campaign on the consoles and the multiplayer on the PC. I enjoy sitting back on the couch and playing through a single player game

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Woo-hoo: prone at the one minute mark :D Liking the way that you will be crawling on the belly, and not able to slither forward and shoot at the same time.
    When they open the door to the rooftop in the sniper trailer and the sun light blinds you a little bit.
    They had something like that in BF:BC2, to the point where you'd be flying the chopper half blind :S so people just turned the option off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Man that sniper cant shoot for s**t :P
    Btw seen on the bottom of the BF BC 2 menu it mentioned soemthing about a Battlefield 3 limited edition.Any more news on it ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Soby wrote: »
    Man that sniper cant shoot for s**t :P
    Btw seen on the bottom of the BF BC 2 menu it mentioned soemthing about a Battlefield 3 limited edition.Any more news on it ?

It gets you the Back to Karkand expansion for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ugh annoyed now from a youtube comment i read.Notice the pots damaged from the first sniper shot.The leaves and stuff jsut fall into the ground.Obviously nothing major but annoying when ya notice it.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Any clue about recommended specs for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

dpe wrote: »
    Any clue about recommended specs for this yet?

My guess would be;

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz/AMD Athlon 64 x2 2Ghz or better
    GPU: NVidia 8800GT 512Mb/ATI 3850 512Mb or better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Hmmm.. id have thought higher...

found this:

http://enterbf3.com/battlefield-3-minimum-requirements.php
    While no official announcement of minimum requirements for Battlefield 3 have been made, we do know what engine the game will be running. Frostbite 2.0. Because of this we can estimate what requirements will be expected when Battlefield 3 hits shelves.

Minimum System Requirements
    Processor: Dual Core
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Drive: 15 GB for Digital Version, 10 GB for Disc Version
    Video Memory: 256 MB
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    DirectX: 10
    Keyboard and Mouse
    DVD Rom Drive

Recommended System Requirements
    Processor: Quadcore Processor
    Memory: 4 GB
    Video Memory: 512 MB
    DirectX: 11
    Keyboard and Mouse
    DVD Rom Drive

grizzly wrote: »
    My guess would be;

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz/AMD Athlon 64 x2 2Ghz or better
    GPU: NVidia 8800GT 512Mb/ATI 3850 512Mb or better

I'd say that's min spec rather than recommended. I look at those demo videos and I'm kind of dubious about how the game will run with my ATI4870....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd say that's min spec rather than recommended. I look at those demo videos and I'm kind of dubious about how the game will run with my ATI4870....

I believe they've already said that if you can run BC2 happily, you'll be okay for BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Yeah sorry I meant min specs. I'd say the recommended will be very high!

What's the story with the beta?

I believe they've already said that if you can run BC2 happily, you'll be okay for BF3.

Think I'm going to upgrade, probably to an Nvidia GTX570 (or whatever's out by then). BF seems to be optimised for Nvidia cards and I can't help thinking 64 players + destructible environments + heavy urban maps = graphics card meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Think I'm going to upgrade, probably to an Nvidia GTX570 (or whatever's out by then). BF seems to be optimised for Nvidia cards and I can't help thinking 64 players + destructible environments + heavy urban maps = graphics card meltdown.

I think you're underestimating the power of your current card! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Korvanica wrote: »
    Hmmm.. id have thought higher...

found this:

Minimum System Requirements
    Processor: Dual Core
    Memory: 2 GB
    Video Memory: 256 MB
    DirectX: 10
    Keyboard and Mouse
    DVD Rom Drive

DX10 ??

Have yet to see anything regarding this anywhere tbh.DX9 or DX11 would be supported for sure but i would seriously doubt DX10 would be the minimum spec.

d22ontour wrote: »
    DX10 ??

Have yet to see anything regarding this anywhere tbh.DX9 or DX11 would be supported for sure but i would seriously doubt DX10 would be the minimum spec.

DX9 is not supported, it's Vista and Win 7 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DX9 is not supported, it's Vista and Win 7 only.

That official?

Find it stange they would blank XP when they dont have to. large chunk of people using it.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=pc

• Advertisement

That official?

Find it stange they would blank XP when they dont have to. large chunk of people using it.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=pc

It's official, Frostbite 2.0 doesn't support DX9 at all.

http://www.gamersmint.com/dice-battlefield-3-wont-support-windows-xp

Advertisement