Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

d22ontour wrote: »
    DX10 ??

Have yet to see anything regarding this anywhere tbh.DX9 or DX11 would be supported for sure but i would seriously doubt DX10 would be the minimum spec.

DX11 is a superset of DX10. So DX10 is essentially a minimum requirement for a DX11 title.

DX11 in 'DX10' mode, is essentially DX11 'low' settings.

DX11 can expose features to hardware, that only that hardware supports.

i.e if my Directx 10 card supports compute shaders, well DX11 can expose the compute shader features to my dx10 card.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    That official?

Find it stange they would blank XP when they dont have to. large chunk of people using it.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=pc

They don't want or need the extra dev resources required for developing back to DX9.

For the consoles they are just chopping dx11/10 features, and only exposing the dx9 features to the console hardware.

The real platform for this is PC. As it should be, unlike BC2.

Frostbite 2.0 is a DX11 engine (supports DX10 obviously). End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They don't want or need the extra dev resources required for developing back to DX9.

For the consoles they are just chopping dx11/10 features, and only exposing the dx9 features to the console hardware.

The real platform for this is PC. As it should be, unlike BC2.

Frostbite 2.0 is a DX11 engine (supports DX10 obviously). End of.

Imo wont happen EA aint gonna cut off 30% of their target audience when its not that difficult for DX9 to run it as consoles going to be running it.

Anyway not my problem :D /strokes 6870 W7 64bit but D22ontour may be looking for a dvd soon :p

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Imo wont happen EA aint gonna cut off 30% of their target audience when its not that difficult for DX9 to run it as consoles going to be running it.

Anyway not my problem :D /strokes 6870 W7 64bit but D22ontour may be looking for a dvd soon :p

lol You don't understand a thing I wrote!!

And how could EA be cutting off 30% of their potential sales? (btw - how do you know 30% of those on STEAM are EA's 'target' audience?).

1. Its a STEAM survey
    2. Only a portion (probably a fairly smnall protion) of that 30% would play it
    3. Most gamers who would be buying brand new, high end games, are on Vista/7 and have DX10/11 cards.

Your 30% is moot tbh.

Even according to the latest steam survey, over half of XP users have dx10/11 cards. They will most likely be either a) upgrading to 7 within the next year or b) are laptops with dx10 class integrated GPU's

So for one, you can rule the DX10/11 class laptops on XP out of it, but we don't even know how many are laptops.

So in fairness, they are only excluding a failry small potential market, and DICE are a fairly big developer, I doubt EA push them around as much as smaller devs.

Plus, Frostbite IS a DX11 based engine, that is fact.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's no official release date yet, right? I plan on upgrading my pc for Skyrim, so hopefully it's around that time.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    There's no official release date yet, right? I plan on upgrading my pc for Skyrim, so hopefully it's around that time.

Nope, but I'd say October or thereabouts. (they keep mentioning 'fall')

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Nope, but I'd say October or thereabouts. (they keep mentioning 'fall')

24th of October perhaps? That'd be a sweet birthday present for me!! Any takers?!

[DISCLAMER WARNING: The following paragraph contains a lot of assumptions, some of which you may find offensive.]
    I think anyone who's running Xp with a Dx11 card is crazy at this stage. I dont see it as an obsticle really. If you want to play a new game, you need an OS thats not over a decade old! If you're still running Xp going into 2012 you're a very sentimental type anyway and are probably still playing BF1942...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

BULLER wrote: »
    24th of October perhaps? That'd be a sweet birthday present for me!! Any takers?!

[DISCLAMER WARNING: The following paragraph contains a lot of assumptions, some of which you may find offensive.]
    I think anyone who's running Xp with a Dx11 card is crazy at this stage. I dont see it as an obsticle really. If you want to play a new game, you need an OS thats not over a decade old! If you're still running Xp going into 2012 you're a very sentimental type anyway and are probably still playing BF1942...
    WHATS WRONG WIT 1942!??!?"£!"?$!"£%?$"£%

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

I agree. If you can afford a DX11 card, you can afford win7 (Home edition is pretty cheap anyway, I got a three licence pack for 100 quid), and its a far nicer OS than XP anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You can forget about BF3 being released in October 2011...
    the beta is scheduled for release in October then so add about 2-3 months onto that and we're talking about a Spring 2012 release...
    I call it as more likely March 2012..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ABE

lol I couldn't help but laugh at this.. it has karma aka kev written all over it

karma will be buried with his windows xp pc running 800x600 and 1942 CD :pac:

dpe wrote: »
    I agree. If you can afford a DX11 card, you can afford win7 (Home edition is pretty cheap anyway, I got a three licence pack for 100 quid), and its a far nicer OS than XP anyway.

It can be had for around €45, so really no excuse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was pretty cool. Graphics are amazing. Not sure about the QTE type close combat, but it will only be in single player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I was just coming in here to post that, I just got a press release with it:

(disclaimer if you didn't know: Boards.ie has an advertising deal with EA and so I get press releases and review copies of games etc sent to me.)

I'm personally undecided as to whether I'm looking forward to this or not. MoH was a disappointment to me in terms of Single Player (5 hours and I was done and in a most unexpectedly quick manner), but I kinda enjoyed the Multi on it.

I made the mistake of getting BC2 on the XBox and playing any FPS game with a control pad is a fundamentally broken and unacceptable way to play. The SP Campaign was grand and interesting, but I found the Multi Player far too annoying and the damn near criminal act of not allowing me to remap the controls to my preferences (RS for Melee and B for duck is all I wanted) meant I dabbled in it maybe twice and never returned to it again.

I was a big fan of BF2 multiplayer (did it even have SP? I don't think I ever played it if it did :D) I could play Karkland and Wake Island all day :) So I think I could see myself getting stuck into this on the PC if it's got a similar feel to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dav wrote: »

I was a big fan of BF2 multiplayer (did it even have SP? I don't think I ever played it if it did :D) I could play Karkland and Wake Island all day :) So I think I could see myself getting stuck into this on the PC if it's got a similar feel to it.

There was a simplistic singe player with bots, no story or campaign.

And BF3 has Karkand and Wake in the Back to Karkand expansion.

I hope they sort out Hardcore mode.

In the last two days I've encountered countless games where 1+ on my team was just being a dickhead blowing up our tanks and killing people.

There's no way to get rid of them, they need to either incorporate a voting system(but make it clear to all the team that that person is team killing, it can be too easy to miss it unless you're vigilante) or else have it that killing more then one team mate in a round is an auto-kick.

Earlier I got an unusual one.... I was arming an M-COM upstairs in a house and a team mate killed me and armed it himself :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Dav wrote: »
    (disclaimer if you didn't know: Boards.ie has an advertising deal with EA and so I get press releases and review copies of games etc sent to me.)

All I have to say to that is " ! "

We have a direct source to EA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I hope they sort out Hardcore mode.

In the last two days I've encountered countless games where 1+ on my team was just being a dickhead blowing up our tanks and killing people.

There's no way to get rid of them, they need to either incorporate a voting system(but make it clear to all the team that that person is team killing, it can be too easy to miss it unless you're vigilante) or else have it that killing more then one team mate in a round is an auto-kick.

Earlier I got an unusual one.... I was arming an M-COM upstairs in a house and a team mate killed me and armed it himself :mad:

I hadnt played in a few weeks, so stuck it on last night. First game I played two guys with the same clan tag just started team killing. Then I disarming the MCOM, after killing 3 guys to get to it, and just as I did, one of the punks ran in and defibrillated me, and we lost.. so annoying..

I don't see why there's no automatic kicking, as in black ops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

war is hell soldier!
    I've been known to empty a full clip into a sniper, who had the cheek to join my team and spawn miles away from the action!

war is hell soldier!
    I've been known to empty a full clip into a sniper, who had the cheek to join my team and spawn miles away from the action!

That's fine, snipers don't count as people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

That's what I thought haha!
    I've also been known to tracer dart the queue waiting for the chopper just to piss em off.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

(rant)
    Theres an awful amount of people narrow minded about snipers on bc2, maybe half the snipers are narrow minded too, but theres nothing boils my blood more than some spastic giving me guff cause i have a sniper kit, or shooting at me, i use the kit as much as i use assault and engineer but im not one to sit in the back a mile away for the whole round and not move, thats quite boring, im running up sometimes ahead of the assault people, or covering them taking a flag, watever, its just annoying how narrow minded people are , once they see a sniper, its like they have seen a spider, eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kill it...... Funny though, it used to be really bad, i havnt had anyone bother me about it in months, prob will be scurged tomorrow if im on now after saying that
    (/rant)
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Everyone always bitches about snipers and yet if a sniper moves up there's always an asshole who has to blast of an rpg/lmg right beside you. Two examples.

Port Valdez, Last base I always steal the chopper in the back of their base, take it, bail above the antenae and land on it. Sets up a spawn point directly above on mcom and looks directly at the other mcom. Without fail some asshole always does one of the 2.

Isla innocents. Last base, always sneak around over looking the chopper spawn. Sets up a spawn point/ chooper capture point and lets me cover the back of their base. Instead of letting me be a spawn point some dick always rockets the chopper even if I have it grounded for 5 minutes

yup, all they can think of is kill the sniper lol, and u working real hard, harder than them, to win the round :eek:

Murray135 wrote: »
    (rant)
    Theres an awful amount of people narrow minded about snipers on bc2, maybe half the snipers are narrow minded too, but theres nothing boils my blood more than some spastic giving me guff cause i have a sniper kit, or shooting at me, i use the kit as much as i use assault and engineer but im not one to sit in the back a mile away for the whole round and not move, thats quite boring, im running up sometimes ahead of the assault people, or covering them taking a flag, watever, its just annoying how narrow minded people are , once they see a sniper, its like they have seen a spider, eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kill it...... Funny though, it used to be really bad, i havnt had anyone bother me about it in months, prob will be scurged tomorrow if im on now after saying that
    (/rant)
    lol

No objects to that, since you're actually contributing. It's the morons sitting on a hill a kilometre from any fighting, ignoring objectives that give a bad name to anyone playing as recon.

aye some ppl see that, but ya always get the mad fools who just go mad soon as u spawn, before u breath, dont even notice what your doing lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I dont mind recons, but the only thing that pisses me off is seeing an entire squad of them camped out in the same spot on a hill or in a tree. Just 4 recons side by side shooting at the same targets.
    The recon class is great but some people haven't got a clue what their at

Advertisement