Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They mentioned a beta at E3, anyone know how they are going to do it? How they pick the partcipants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Spear wrote: »

Real people playing, and even Steven Spielberg is there to approve. It's hard to see much, but it's not the canned footage for public display. There's no sign of a killcam when someone dies I note.

Crosshairs look horrible. A total departure from BF and moving to a COD type crosshair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Headshot wrote: »
    They mentioned a beta at E3, anyone know they are going to do it? How they pick the partcipants

They mentioned an open beta in September. As for entry, so far we can only say that MoH purchases are guaranteed access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I read somewhere (sorry dont remember) that EA is really pinning a lot on this release. They've been in some pretty serious financial difficulties and they really NEED this to be a mammoth hit.

Which is good for us. They're going to make sure we're happy. Otherwise they can watch their share price go down the toilet.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ERTS+Basic+Chart&t=5y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Got a source? That's the first semi solid date I've seen for it.

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/overview

Perhaps not the most reliable site. Im still unable to find where they found the date and tripwire seem tight-lipped over release dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

They mentioned an open beta in September. As for entry, so far we can only say that MoH purchases are guaranteed access.

I have my key in my boards inbox that Sherdydan kindly passed on to me when he bought MoH :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306431/news/bobby-kotick-wanted-to-play-battlefield-3-at-e3-ea-said-no/

That's all over the gaming news sites currently. Sounds a bit urban legend to me, but it's CVG reporting it, rather some fly by night blog or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

The more media and details that come out, the more this seems like Bad Company 3 wrt HUD, controls and gameplay, quite disappointing.

They really need to release some clear bullet points on the gameplay such as:

- Squad leaders?
    - Squad size?
    - Squad members can spawn on leaders only?
    - Health regen?
    - Proper order/interaction menu (instead of Q does everything)
    - Commander/replacement for commander
    - Will there be built in VOIP this time? :rolleyes:

What's this about vehicles slowly regenerating armor? Absurd. And what's team deathmatch doing in a battlefield game?

Some of these have already been answered. You haven't been paying attention, tut tut!
    merc.ie wrote: »
    The more media and details that come out, the more this seems like Bad Company 3 wrt HUD, controls and gameplay, quite disappointing.

- Squad leaders? Don't know.
    - Squad size? Don't know.
    - Squad members can spawn on leaders only? Don't know.
    - Health regen? Apparently not in multi player.
    - Proper order/interaction menu (instead of Q does everything) No Commo rose.
    - Commander/replacement for commander Nope.
    - Will there be built in VOIP this time? :rolleyes: There has been since BF2...

What's this about vehicles slowly regenerating armor? Absurd. And what's team deathmatch doing in a battlefield game?

Team deaathmatch is to win over console / CoD players.

Vehicle regen seems very odd too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I read somewhere (sorry dont remember) that EA is really pinning a lot on this release. They've been in some pretty serious financial difficulties and they really NEED this to be a mammoth hit.

EA is going all out for BF3 - the marketing for the game is going to be intense. EA have every intent in knocking COD off its perch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Whatever about the infantry health regen, the vehicle regen is DEFO not in MP. It couldn't be...

EA is going all out for BF3 - the marketing for the game is going to be intense. EA have every intent in knocking COD off its perch.

I cant remember where I read it, but the details of the marketing campaign were released some time ago, something in the order of $150m set aside for marketing alone.

As much as I'd like to see it, BF3 will NOT knock CoD off its perch. It will certainly get closer than any other BF release, but it won't over take CoD.

It could be the start of BF's accession to the throne though, so if they get another 2/3 releases for BF over the next 2 years, it could well take over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nice, Respawn was there trying it! Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Will be very interesting to see how BF3 stacks up against COD7 when they're released.

Obviously PC players know all about Battlefield and how crap COD has gotten the past couple of games.
    But it's down the consolers...this is where the battle will be raged...
    That's why EA are spending €100 million on advertising this game and counting on it to be a hit on the console.
    They need to be selling 5 million copies plus to be in with any chance of toppling COD..

Look at Black Ops ..it's the worst COD game ever and it still sold 5.6 million copies on Day 1 purely on it's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

- Squad leaders? Heard people saying there is a squad leader from playing the demo, but they could figure out how it was picked
    - Squad size? I've head 4 again

Where did this come from? I can't imagine why this would be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

grizzly wrote: »
    Where did this come from? I can't imagine why this would be included.

could this auto-regen or armour be from BF2...
    you know when you parked your tank/apc etc beside another tank that had an engineer in it , your tank will start to repair...maybe that;s what they're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I reckon we're talking about the kind of points that can be altered and will surely be open to internal scrutiny to be so.

It was always nice to hear "hop in" when you didnt spot the nearly full blawk hawk about to leave the harrier with a pilot intent on getting to the back of the chinese base on wake island. All I'm saying is if you want to voice your opinion get onto the EA BF3 forums and make yourself heard there. You can be damn sure that these guys are looking at everything thats being said. Their not like the COD developers who are so sure of themselves they wont go with what the community wants(because frankly they think they know better than their own players) Just let it ride, get on the forums and see what the debate is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    could this auto-regen or armour be from BF2...
    you know when you parked your tank/apc etc beside another tank that had an engineer in it , your tank will start to repair...maybe that;s what they're talking about?

Or maybe its similar to how flying low over a friendly aircraft carrier in 1943 repairs your plane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

The vehicle regen is when the tank gets 10% and below it stops moving and can only use its guns. It eventually regens so it can move but still needs an engineer repair

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Yeah the regen will be insanely slow but its fine by me I reckon. It will make salvaging the last breath of a vehicle a bit more fun when your in survivability mode trying to regen for one last push using that set of wheels! people shouldnt be freaked by things like infinite sprint either. Fact is, I find it hilarious that in modern shooters your playing SAS, Navy Seals,USMC,Commandos etc yet they can only run for around 20 metres before packing it in hahaha. The commandos still do a 30 mile speed march over dartmoor just to wear the beret so I'm sure our games aren't doing them much justice in the fitness department :P

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Thought this was very interesting! Loving the tactical reload and fire modes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkiSRwzqI_c&feature=player_embedded#at=134

Interesting thing about the health % box. In one bit of the clip an Infantry guy is shooting and his health is flying back up, probably too fast for regen, more likely a medpac. Then at another point you see a guy with 70% health and it stays like that for a few seconds.

Straws people.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

OffDutyGamers were able to confirm the following details about DICE's upcoming military shooter, Battlefield 3 at this year's E3.

• Squad Leader confirmed, 4 Person Squad
    • Ability to spot a Enemy Squad Leader
    • Equippable Grenades
    • Falling debris from destruction 3.0 can kill players!
    • Equippable knife as well as quick knife (like BC2)
    • Support class able to mount bipods and give ammo
    • Rifleman class has medpack + defibrillator
    • Ability to change fire modes in multiplayer (semi/burst/auto)
    • Regenerative health in MP, but suppression effect stops regen (only regen when you aren't under fire)
    • Suppression effects from LMG, blur vision
    • Flashlights can blind the enemy
    • First Person Animations in Multiplayer
    • Faction Specific Weapons + Unlocks
    • Vehicles can be immobilized before being destroyed
    • Able to opt out of Revives in Multiplayer
    • 3D spotting

Also for anyone interested there's more video analysis, this time of the single player tank footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t0DCcfcAw8&feature=player_embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

Here's hoping that the presence of a squad leader means that squad members can only spawn on that leader, not each other.

3D spotting is terrible too, it's one of the major factors that spoils BC2. What's going to happen when jets pilots can see 3D spotted infantry?

Health regen in multiplayer is just a bad idea, that's what the medics are there for.

The PS3 version gets the first console footage tomorrow night in the US:

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/06/15/late-night.aspx

BULLER wrote: »
    OffDutyGamers were able to confirm the following details about DICE's upcoming military shooter, Battlefield 3 at this year's E3.

Also for anyone interested there's more video analysis, this time of the single player tank footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t0DCcfcAw8&feature=player_embedded
    Wonder where they got the guy who does the voice over.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In a gravel pit of awesome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

3D spotting is terrible too, it's one of the major factors that spoils BC2. What's going to happen when jets pilots can see 3D spotted infantry?

What does 3D spotting mean?

Advertisement