Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    What does 3D spotting mean?

Basically when a teammate spots an enemy, not only does it show up in the mini-map, but also on screen in your first person view.

Its basically a wall hack that's built into the game.

You get used to it, as everyone has the same advantage / disadvantage with it, but personally I think it has no place in BF.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Basically when a teammate spots an enemy, not only does it show up in the mini-map, but also on screen in your first person view.

Its basically a wall hack that's built into the game.

You get used to it, as everyone has the same advantage / disadvantage with it, but personally I think it has no place in BF.

Just to add afaik there is a cooldown period, you cant just spam it mindlessly and let the game mark people for you.

Dcully wrote: »
    Just to add afaik there is a cooldown period, you cant just spam it mindlessly and let the game mark people for you.

+1 yep - which leads to its own problems, like leaving you with a complete inability to spot anything at all.

+1 yep - which leads to its own problems, like leaving you with a complete inability to spot anything at all.

Indeed, id prefer if there was no spotting.
    Having said that the constant spamming in BF2 of "enemy infantry spotted!" by the commander is just headache inducing.

Indeed, id prefer if there was no spotting.
    Having said that the constant spamming in BF2 of "enemy infantry spotted!" by the commander is just headache inducing.

Or in the middle of Mashtuur: "Enemy boat spotted!"

The spotting would be fine if it was a mix of the two.

1. Actually spotting would work like BC2 - you aim at the target, and click 'q'
    2. But like BF2, it tells you what it is, but only shows on the mini map, and only shows in the last position it was spotted. i.e no stupid 3D spotting, and the spotted target on the mini-map doesn't actually follow the target in real time, just stays at its last known location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Regen health makes baby Jesus cry. This and the 3D spotting has annoyed me.

I found boards through BF2 and it's cool to see all the same names in here I remember from those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

1. Actually spotting would work like BC2 - you aim at the target, and click 'q'
    2. But like BF2, it tells you what it is, but only shows on the mini map, and only shows in the last position it was spotted. i.e no stupid 3D spotting, and the spotted target on the mini-map doesn't actually follow the target in real time, just stays at its last known location.

I haven't played BF2, but I'd agree that spotting in BC2 was a bit too aggressive and unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I really don't see why people are so bothered by regen health and 3D spotting.

Just play hardcore and leave all that to new players.

Jaafa wrote: »
    I really don't see why people are so bothered by regen health and 3D spotting.

Because seeing some features designed for the lowest common denominator is a bit disheartening and more worryingly might hint at the developers design philosophy overall.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Because seeing some features designed for the lowest common denominator is a bit disheartening and more worryingly might hint at the developers design philosophy overall.

That's a very pessimistic view to have though. They are keeping the 'noob' features as Ill call them, very separate from what the hardcore people want.

• Advertisement

That's a very pessimistic view to have though. They are keeping the 'noob' features as Ill call them, very separate from what the hardcore people want.

In fairness, its a very accurate answer.

The 'hardcore' option in BC2 wasn't to everyone's tastes. 3D spotting gone great, but not having a crosshair firing from a tank was more than a bit annoying.

In fairness, its a very accurate answer.

The 'hardcore' option in BC2 wasn't to everyone's tastes. 3D spotting gone great, but not having a crosshair firing from a tank was more than a bit annoying.

But we don't know what the hardcore option will be like this time. So I don't get why everyone is bemoaning features that they don't even know if it'll affect them yet.

But we don't know what the hardcore option will be like this time. So I don't get why everyone is bemoaning features that they don't even know if it'll affect them yet.

Well I am of the opinion that if I have to play hardcore to avoid regenerating health then I am already affected by that feature.

Well I am of the opinion that if I have to play hardcore to avoid regenerating health then I am already affected by that feature.

But you have to admit that for new players Battlefield is a very difficult game to get into, compared to say COD. I know when I started playing BFBC2 it took me a good 2 months to get good at it. And that was just the core mode.

Whats wrong with having a different mode for those new players?

You say your already affected if you have to pick a new mode to play. How? Because you have to make one extra click? I'm sorry If I'm not understanding what your saying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You say your already affected if you have to pick a new mode to play. How? Because you have to make one extra click? I'm sorry If I'm not understanding what your saying.

I'd like to not have regen health but not have to play in hardcore to do so. The loss of the HUD and minimap (usually hardcore 'features') would change the game dramatically for me.

Ponster wrote: »
    I'd like to not have regen health but not have to play in hardcore to do so. The loss of the HUD and minimap (usually hardcore 'features') would change the game dramatically for me.

Me too. I like the HUD. I like the mini-map. They are BF features as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to turn off 5 features I want, just to remove the 1 feature I don't want.

Me too. I like the HUD. I like the mini-map. They are BF features as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to turn off 5 features I want, just to remove the 1 feature I don't want.

I see now. That's fair enough. Still lets wait and see what they do with it this time around.

Ponster wrote: »

These are the reasons Jaafa.

I want to play regular mode without regenerating health. It seems I cannot, therefore I am affected in a very big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I want to play regular mode without regenerating health. It seems I cannot, therefore I am affected in a very big way.

yep I cancelled my pre-order last week as soon as details started emerging about multiplayer BF3 and then pre-ordered Red Orchestra 2

I may come back to BF3 as soon as I see the real multiplayer in action but I am not that hopeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

Since they're giving the *cough* unnecessary *cough* Rush and Team Deathmatch modes, they should give a Classic mode too. Offering:

- 64 player conquest
    - keep the HUD and minimap
    - 6 man squads with leader only spawning
    - Full general and squad specific command rose (ie the Q and T keys in BF2) with the ability to place markers anywhere
    - Spotting gives audio/text confirmation and an icon on the minimap only
    - No health regeneration.
    - Limited stamina for sprinting/jumping
    - Imo parachutes should only be available to people jumping from air vehicles
    - Selectable knife only - no easy instant kills at the press of one button.
    - The only artillary available should be in a fixed location and be destroyable
    - Optional BF2 aircraft handling and controls - not forced to use the awful BC2 auto correcting system
    - Explosives - grenades, tank shells etc have a decent explosion radius instead of the 1 foot radius they have in BC2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

merc.ie wrote: »
    they should give a Classic mode too

now that would be the perfect compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Auvers wrote: »
    they should give a Classic mode too
    now that would be the perfect compromise

Can't all this stuff be done with custom server setups? *gaming server ignorance*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

grizzly wrote: »
    Can't all this stuff be done with custom server setups? *gaming server ignorance*

Not on a ranked server, and they may not release public server files, which they didn't for BC2.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

grizzly wrote: »

As Spear said, most likely we won't be able to download server files. Instead you pay for hosting with an approved host and have limited access to server config.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Since they're giving the *cough* unnecessary *cough* Rush and Team Deathmatch modes, they should give a Classic mode too. Offering:

- 64 player conquest
    - keep the HUD and minimap
    - 6 man squads with leader only spawning
    - Full general and squad specific command rose (ie the Q and T keys in BF2) with the ability to place markers anywhere
    - Spotting gives audio/text confirmation and an icon on the minimap only
    - No health regeneration.
    - Limited stamina for sprinting/jumping
    - Imo parachutes should only be available to people jumping from air vehicles
    - Selectable knife only - no easy instant kills at the press of one button.
    - The only artillary available should be in a fixed location and be destroyable
    - Optional BF2 aircraft handling and controls - not forced to use the awful BC2 auto correcting system
    - Explosives - grenades, tank shells etc have a decent explosion radius instead of the 1 foot radius they have in BC2.

I'd like a similar game mode too.

Has anyone seen the PS3 demo? Has it been shown yet? can't find it anywhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I'd like a similar game mode too.

Has anyone seen the PS3 demo? Has it been shown yet? can't find it anywhere.

The Jimmy Fallon show isn't until tonight US time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone notice the BSOD on the machine further up? ;)

lol! I hope it wasn't caused by the game itself, but sure it would most likely be ironed out by September anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

HD footage of Battlefield 3 on Jimmy Fallon last night, premeire of PS3 gameplay also....

Regarding so called hardcore , i like to call it noobcore,its ridiculously easy just like the cod games hardcore efforts.
    Totally takes away the difference in the weapons,you may aswell just have one weapon as anything will take a guy down with ease.
    Furthermore it becomes a campfest as nobody wants to come out of their foxholes.
    Far far to easy to kill people, atleast in normal mode you have to keep your ironsight on the target for more than a fraction of a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Well this is very telling!!!! Look how quiet this scenario is compared to the pc. No glossy lighting, the explosive effects are severelly dumbed down, there really doesn't seem to be anything dynamic happening here. Not as many enemy engaging, sluggish aiming system, doesn't appear to be too much of a snap-to. As time goes on it feels more and more like this game is being forcefully impeded on pc because they clearly have had to make serious limitations for console. Also looking at this video you won't be able to tell what kind of AA or resolution problems the title will suffer from until it's on your actual screen. For instance looking at a pc gameplay video next to a console video of call of duty look identical and both wil be highly lossy on full screen anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing more on the console stuff, even though I'll be playing this pc only!

Advertisement