Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

For instance looking at a pc gameplay video next to a console video of call of duty look identical and both wil be highly lossy on full screen anyway. only!
    you so crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

As time goes on it feels more and more like this game is being forcefully impeded on pc because they clearly have had to make serious limitations for console.

From the PC footage I've seen so far the graphics have looked anything but impeded!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Dcully wrote: »
    Regarding so called hardcore , i like to call it noobcore,its ridiculously easy just like the cod games hardcore efforts.
    Totally takes away the difference in the weapons,you may aswell just have one weapon as anything will take a guy down with ease.
    Furthermore it becomes a campfest as nobody wants to come out of their foxholes.
    Far far to easy to kill people, atleast in normal mode you have to keep your ironsight on the target for more than a fraction of a second.

Ah now, hardcore is much more difficult than Softcore (which i call noobcore - take that!).

No Map,
    No 3D Spotting,
    No view of where you were killed from.
    No Regenerating health,
    Realistic bullet damage,

Teamwork is more critical in Hardcore mode than anywhere else. You have to actually call out an enemys location instead of spotting them and letting your teammates home in on a big orange triangle like homing missiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Dcully wrote: »
    Regarding so called hardcore , i like to call it noobcore,its ridiculously easy just like the cod games hardcore efforts.
    Totally takes away the difference in the weapons,you may aswell just have one weapon as anything will take a guy down with ease.
    Furthermore it becomes a campfest as nobody wants to come out of their foxholes.
    Far far to easy to kill people, atleast in normal mode you have to keep your ironsight on the target for more than a fraction of a second.
    yes, empty a full uzi clip into someone just to watch them run off, gotta love the realisim of softcore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Korvanica wrote: »
    Ah now, hardcore is much more difficult than Softcore (which i call noobcore - take that!).

No Map,
    No 3D Spotting,
    No view of where you were killed from.
    No Regenerating health,
    Realistic bullet damage,

Teamwork is more critical in Hardcore mode than anywhere else. You have to actually call out an enemys location instead of spotting them and letting your teammates home in on a big orange triangle like homing missiles.

How to be good in hardcore

1. Pick a sniper rifle
    2. Find an enemy to shoot.
    3. Single shot to head, or neck, or arm, or leg or toe or wherever.
    4. Get the kill.
    5. repeat steps 1-4

Hardcore is stupid.

• Advertisement

How to be good in hardcore

1. Pick a sniper rifle
    3. Single shot to head, or neck, or arm, or leg or toe or wherever.
    4. Get the kill.
    5. repeat steps 1-4

Hardcore is stupid.
    only with an m95 actually, and any gun that can sever an arm with one bullet, I'd consider that a kill.

All other guns need magnum, I know people who use the vss with red dot/4 x as assault rifle.

How to get kills in soft core.

place c4 over a friends vehicle, have them drive/fly it into opponent vehicles, reload, rinse and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Good luck finding them without the big orange triangle over their heads...:pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

only with an m95 actually, and any gun that can sever an arm with one bullet, I'd consider that a kill.

All other guns need magnum, I know people who use the vss with red dot/4 x as assault rifle.

How to get kills in soft core.

place c4 over a friends vehicle, have them drive/fly it into opponent vehicles, reload, rinse and repeat

My favorite is driving a quad with c4 in to a tank, coming in from a 90 degree angle so they don't see ya coming. never gets old. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

The game is far more balanced in softcore mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Conquest on PC...
    Without it the game is pointless.
    Outsell COD on consoles is where it will be determined.
    Battlefield...
    We will be the losers.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

d22ontour wrote: »
    Conquest on PC...
    Without it the game is pointless.
    Outsell COD on consoles is where it will be determined.
    Battlefield...
    We will be the losers.... :(

Thats down to sheep and silly gamers though. Right now, as I speak, there are thousands upon thousands of people raging at Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2. They're saying they are sick of this crap and will never buy another CoD game ever.

And yet, they'll be front of the queue on MW3's release day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Thats down to sheep and silly gamers though. Right now, as I speak, there are thousands upon thousands of people raging at Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2. They're saying they are sick of this crap and will never buy another CoD game ever.

And yet, they'll be front of the queue on MW3's release day.
    Pre-order figures for MW3 are a testament to that (very true) statement.

I think they've already exceeded Black Ops.

I'm holding out for Fighter Jet gameplay. I would love the F-4 to be in it, but it's a little outdated compared to modern day Jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Hardcore is solely for camping snipers who sit there hiding in their precious bushes picking off guys with shots to their little toe.

It is for amateurs.

mozattack wrote: »
    Hardcore is solely for camping snipers who sit there hiding in their precious bushes picking off guys with shots to their little toe.

It is for amateurs.

i haz lulz at this post.

Fact, Battlefield is for the mature crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fair play to him :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

console kiddie. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Haha, that was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

"Thats funny because the oldest call of duty player is 11."

heh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

fair funny...

• Advertisement

Some chap gave a review of the multiplayer at Dreamhack
    half way down this page

Before I start I would just like to point out that the game version we played was pre-alpha and as such still had some bugs and issues, and nothing in it is final. Also, this is all from memory so I reserve the right to be wrong about and/or forgetting stuff.

We got to play one round as attackers and one round as defenders on the Rush game mode(destroy/defend a number of objectives in order on a narrow map). It was 16vs16, give or take. Each round was approximately 20 minutes.

The Map
    The map was Operation Metro(I think that's the name). It takes place in and around a part of the Paris metro. Russia is defending and the USMC are attacking.
    The first stage of the map is a park with a pond or small lake, lots of bushes, some trees, low walls, park benches and stuff like that. The USMC gets a LAV-25, the rest is pure infantry. This is the most sniper/scope friendly part as it's quite open and has engagement ranges from a few meters up to probably around 100m. It looks nice and it's in my opinion a good idea to have something different before heading into the metro.

The second stage takes place down in the metro itself, and is accessed from the park area through a collapsed tunnel which in turn leads into the station where the objectives are. There's lots of CQB action with the attackers having to force their way through the tunnels(giggidy), up some escalators and on to clearing rooms and corridors. Some parts of the tunnels are dark and sneaky, so the weapon lights can both help you and get you killed depending on how and when you use them.

The final part spans from the station exit/entrance on the other side and a bit into the city itself. This part is urban with a few smallish streets and some enterable multi-storage buildings leading down to a sort of square area where the final objectives are. If the first part is long range and the second is close I would say this part is medium-ish in range. Lot's of people sitting in windows covering the streets. RPGs come in handy to blow the campers away.

Overall the map is very linear and feels designed for Rush from the start. The mix of longer range combat at the park, followed by intense CQB action in the tunnels and station and finally some street fighting adds some nice variety. It would be interesting to know how accurate the map is compared to the real thing.

Kits
    The kit layouts were something like this. No limitations.
    USMC
    Assault - M16A4(4x scope), M9, Frag Grenade, Medic Box, Defibrillator
    Engineer - M4(ironsight+weapon light), M9, Frag Grenade, SMAW, Repair Tool
    Support - M249(4x scope), M9, Frag Grenade, Ammo Box
    Recon - M110(bit more powerful scope, dont know exactly), M9, Frag Grenade, C4
    RUS
    Assault - AK74M(4x scope), MR-444, Frag Grenade, Medic Box, Defibrillator
    Engineer - AKS-74U(ironsight+weapon light), MR-444, Frag Grenade, RPG7, Repair Tool
    Support - Pecheneg(4x scope), MR-444, Frag Grenade, Ammo Box
    Recon - SVD(bit more powerful scope, dont know exactly), MR-444, Frag Grenade, C4

Random stuff
    Sprint. There seemed to be unlimited stamina. You can strafe(slightly) while sprinting, which is pretty nice.
    Weapon lights. Can be turned on/off via a hotkey(L). Blinds people at close range. Other player's lights are seen as a glowing dot at long range.
    Vaulting. When approaching an obstacle you can press space to climb/jump over it. This seemed to work on everything I tried it on. You can not fire while the animation plays(around 1 second). Jumping is still ingame if for some reason the vaulting isn't working on something.
    Deviation. Deviation feels pretty good for a vanilla game. As always it's stance-dependant. When hipfiring it's accurate enough to take out people close to you, but that's it. When aiming down the sights you can kill people at range quite effectively. Snipers/marksmen are most accurate, assault rifles are in the middle and undeployed machine guns last, however deployed machine guns felt more or equally accurate as assault rifles. When jumping you get maximum deviation, and it takes a second or two to settle again. When going prone you get this animation thing that moves your view around a bit, but the crosshair stays tight. I tried it against a spot on the wall, and since the animation is not random it's easy to compensate and fire at the intended spot while going prone. So prone diving works pretty much. However it may just be that they haven't added the deviation increase when going prone yet.
    Deploying weapons. Machine guns can be deployed on most surfaces like walls, windows and different kinds of cover, as well as when being prone. When prone or standing/crouching next to a deployable surface you just right click once and you fold out the bipod. That locks your weapon to the surface and you can swivel around the bipod itself(which looks nice) in a limited arc(100-ish degrees maybe, it could be dependant on the surrounding objects). You can fire via the crosshair or scope in for added accuracy. To un-deploy you just move away from the position.
    Rockets. The two rocket weapons on this map were both unguided, and seemed to be fairly accurate with not much drop. Explosion radius was enough to kill guys at maybe 1-2m but nothing extreme(BC2 CG, I'm looking at you).
    Squadleader. There were 1 SL per 4 man squad. There was no squad selection/creation menu(yet?) so it appeared to be random for now. The SL was the only player in the squad you could spawn on.
    Commo-rose. No commo-rose or communication tool to be seen anywhere. Probably not implemented yet. At the closed presentation we were on before the play test the devs there got asked if BF3 would have a commo-rose a la BF2 or a context sensitive key a la BC2(which means one key, and depending on what you're looking at/doing it gives a different message). He said the commo-rose is awesome, but was prone to causing spam in BF2. He couldn't give a full answer due to the marketing plans they have(gameplay details/news to come at GamesCon btw), but I interpreted the rest of his somewhat dodgy reply as that they were aiming for something in between the commo-rose and the BC2 system.
    Spawning. You could spawn on either the team's main spawn or your SL. When having the SL selected your camera spectates him until you spawn. I spawn killed a few guys and spawned too close to the action a few times myself when using the team spawn, so we'll see if they improve this somewhat. Spawn time was a few seconds as always.
    Melee. Melee is BC2 style, i.e. a melee key and no knife in the inventory. I never got to melee anyone(sadface) but my friend got one and said it triggered some animation where he grabbed the enemy and slit his throat in a cinematic fashion. Unknown if it's always like that or only in some situations. I personally hate being helpless because I have to spend several seconds caught in a knifing animation with no way to abort. Edit; according to the internets I might have missed there actually being a knife weapon slot, dunno. Would be nice though.
    Damage. Rifles seemed to kill in around 4-5 shots. LMGs felt the same. Snipers(or marksmen really) in 2-3 shots. This is all non-headshot. So somewhere in between vanilla BC2 and BC2 hardcore.
    Hit Detection. The hit detection felt solid and I didn't notice any shenanigans, but it was a local LAN game after all. Edit; I've been told by people from DH crew that the game was in fact not on LAN only, which is a good sign that it's solid.
    Sounds. The sounds were very nice. Really. A bit less cinematic than BC2(which is good in my opinion), and more sharp, snappy or crisp than many other games. Having been in the army and hearing different weapons first hand, I wouldn't go as far as saying the sounds are fully realistic, but they are pretty good. And as always there were echo and other sound simulation effects that changed depending on the location.
    Medicing. Press 3 to throw a medic box on the ground, which in turn heals people in a radius around it. Press 4 to pull out the defibrillators, then use them on a dead guy to revive. When being revived you start prone, and you're blurry and unarmed for a second or two. It would also appear that you don't auto-heal to full health, more like 80-90% or something.
    Vehicles. There were only one vehicle on the map, and I didn't get to use it. It went down real quick seeing as half the team was playing as engineer because of the ironsight weapon the class got. However my friend managed to get in a LAV-25 that was stuck(lulz), and he reports that the driver/gunner position is shared as always and that thermal vision can be activated via right click.
    Fire selector. You could switch between single, burst or automatic fire depending on the weapon type by pressing V. Not much to say really, it works and can be nice to have although I prefer running on auto and doing manual single fire.
    Destruction. The destruction felt a bit toned down from BC2. You blow parts off of walls and most other stuff, but it took some more shooting. When I fired an RPG at a guy in a window, it left a hole approximately 2x2 meters in the wall. I never got to see a building collapse. Overall you could notice that the destruction was there, but it didn't feel like it was the main focus of the game, like in BC2. Less gimmick and more gameplay.
    HUD. The HUD can be seen in videos and stuff like that, so I won't go into detail. But generally it felt pretty unobtrusive and it showed the important stuff. The minimap was decent, but not perfect - I'd personally prefer a more map-like one over the stylish one. And there was no way to bring up a big map. However they keep insisting, like so many other new games, to block my view with these damn score popups.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Game
    YOU KILLED [player]
    +10 KILLING A DUDE
    +5 HEADSHOT
    +1 NOT KILLING YOURSELF
    +20 NOT SEEING ANYTHING BECAUSE OF THIS
    Suppression. There is some form of suppression implemented in the game, but my vision didn't get impaired every time I got shot at - more like just a few times. Likewise, I only got points for suppressing(yes, you do get that..) after killing a guy a few times despite me killing a lot of guys. I'm not sure what's going on here, but if you can't suppress people every time by shooting at them I fail to see the point. Gimmick or bug?
    Mods. They got asked about mod tools at the presentation, and like we already know there are currently no plans for them. They will look into it post-release, whatever that means
    Reloading. This is a nice one. If you still have a round in the chamber and press reload, you do a quick reload and just put in a new mag, while if you're completely empty the animation is longer because you need to chamber a new round. Because of this 31 rounds of ammo in total is possible(30+1). Strange thing is that you spawn with that as well - I'd like to see 29+1 as default.
    Animations. Animations looked really nice. Reloads were fairly accurate and the running/climbing stuff looked motion capped or at least equally realistic.
    E-Sport. They were very secretive, but they hinted at them doing more for E-Sport with BF3 than with previous titles. For me, being a competitive clan player since BF1942, this is awesome news if true.
    Servers. There will be dedicated servers. No word on if it's only through GSPs, but unfortunately I find that likely given the current trend among games.
    Scopes. The scopes were in 3D and looked nice, but they zoomed the whole screen and not just the area in the sight :/
    Prone. It's prone. You're crawling on the ground. Bit nicer movement animations than previous games though.
    Ammo. The support class can throw an ammo box on the ground by pressing 3(or 4) which then re-supplies everyone in range. It disappears after a while and the player gets a new one.
    Graphics. It looked kinda like in the trailers, albeit a bit smudgy or something that I can't quite put my finger on. It's possible that they had it turned down slightly for gameplay purposes, since a pre-alpha game isn't fully optimized yet.

Conclusion
    So what did I think of the game? Well you probably noted that I mentioned Bad Company 2 as a reference several times. That's simply because they are similar in many aspects. In a good way though, because this feels like an improved BC2 in pretty much all aspects. If you liked BC2, you'll probably need new pants after playing BF3 - and if you despised BC2 and wanted more of a BF2.5 you might be disappointed. The gameplay is fast, action packed and at times a bit spammy - like any BF game(so not really a PR style game, but who expected that?). However because it did feel more like Bad Company than Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed personally. But maybe that's just me being nostalgic, and not willing to accept that newer games just wont feel like the older ones?

So will Battlefield 3 be the shizzle? Well I can't answer that question. Why? Simply because the BF3 I'm waiting for is a game with 64 players, a combination of air, ground and infantry working together on big(ish) conquest maps. This demo version had only one of those things - infantry. So guessing what the other components are like is as hard for me as it is for you. What I can say though is that for a vanilla BF game, the infantry part felt very nice - and the 40 minutes I spent in the BF3 area flew by and my heart was pumping for a good while after getting back to my regular seat.
    So considering this, and if the other parts are equally fun, this game could turn out really good in the end.

I'll keep updating the post if I remember something else. If I missed something or there's something you want to know, feel free to ask.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

KilOit wrote: »
    Fact, Battlefield is for the mature crowd

Apparently there are guys in their 80s playing arma2 and BC2 over on tactical gamer.
    While i have played on their servers and used their teamspeak etc i personally cannot vouch for this but word from a couple of long time tactical gamer community members is it is very true indeed.
    Fair play to them.

More footage of operation metro, it's 10 mins taken from a crappy camera phone by the looks of it, but does give a good view of the map.

^ looks like the wii version! :pac:

Yeah looks awful, looking at it though it looks like same footage from E3 that was being play tested by randomers, must of being frapsed on each machine and thrown together and converted to ipod nano resolution :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

The song in the middle is quality tho!! so at least they got that right!

Could this be a hidden class in BF3??
    :D

5uspect wrote: »
    Could this be a hidden class in BF3??
    lol

"you are over encumbered and cannot run"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Conclusion
    So what did I think of the game? Well you probably noted that I mentioned Bad Company 2 as a reference several times. That's simply because they are similar in many aspects. In a good way though, because this feels like an improved BC2 in pretty much all aspects.

Oh dear--I hope its not too much like BC2.

If you liked BC2, you'll probably need new pants after playing BF3
    Im really starting to worry about BF3--I hated BC2 with a passion and from this conclusion it seems like this is like either a BC2.5 or a
    if you despised BC2 and wanted more of a BF2.5
    you might be disappointed.
    If its too like BC2 I will be big time disappointed.Been looking forward to this for what seems like a lifetime.
    However because it did feel more like Bad Company than Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed personally.
    I really hope that this is only because it an early build that was played.It was BF2`s actually all the BF series` gameplay that made it.Try the play for free version and even that despite the graphics etc it still plays better than any Fps out there at the minute--I keep going back for more.
    But maybe that's just me being nostalgic, and not willing to accept that newer games just wont feel like the older ones?

Was this not the attraction of the older games ie feel of the Battlefield series??They never captured that in BC2 and I hope to god they manage to capture it in BF3 (or bf2.5 as this reviewer is calling it :)

Its going to be a big disappointment if this is closer to BC2 than BF2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its going to be a big disappointment if this is closer to BC2 than BF2.

yep face it the game is wanked and gone over to the dark side to compete with call of duty

Red Orchestra 2 is the only old style BF players chink of light

Advertisement