Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Auvers wrote: »
    Red Orchestra 2 is the only old style BF players chink of light
    Looked at a video, and it does remind me of BF1942. Does it have tanks, planes, etc, though?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

the_syco wrote: »
    Looked at a video, and it does remind me of BF1942. Does it have tanks, planes, etc, though?

No planes, but it does have two tanks, Panzer 4 and T-34.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Interesting debate on BF3 and MW3 here
    with guys from Kotaku, GT and Shacknews

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Spear wrote: »
    No planes, but it does have two tanks, Panzer 4 and T-34.

fúck it then...it's not a Battlefield replacement :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

preview of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-05-red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad-preview
    The battle for Stalingrad is less than two months away now. I'm as excited as I am nervous, and you should be too.

• Advertisement

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    fúck it then...it's not a Battlefield replacement :(
    Agreed. Without lots of planes, tanks, jeeps, etc, I may as well just play DoD :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Agreed. Without lots of planes, tanks, jeeps, etc, I may as well just play DoD :pac:

exactly..that's what it actually feels like... I bloody hated DoD..at least all those stupid closed in maps my mates used to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

No modding tools to be released with BF3 :(

http://bf3blog.com/2011/07/dice-battlefield-3-too-complex-for-mod-tools/

and dod's an awesome game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

Saw a video of RO2 and it looked terrible. AI looked clueless and the game had the look of a shareware program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

omerin wrote: »
    Saw a video of RO2 and it looked terrible. AI looked clueless and the game had the look of a shareware program.

yup I thought it looked pretty dated, but, from Eurogamer..

"When a single shot can kill you, suppressive fire becomes a valid tactic. When you can't aim while moving, cover becomes important. When the game doesn't go out of its way to point out other players, camouflage becomes key. These are the bricks that make up the grim, impossibly dramatic bungalow that is Red Orchestra. For the sequel, Heroes of Stalingrad, Tripwire Interactive aren't so much building a different house as they're adding a second storey, slotting new feature after new feature onto the existing framework.

Here are just some of them: a first-person cover system; the ability to blind fire around corners; a system for commanding your squads; better bullet ballistics; more true-to-life sniper scopes; more detailed tanks with no less than ten individual mechanisms that can (and will) break down. If Red Orchestra teaches its player base anything, it's that the only thing scarier than a tank is driving one, a process comparable to drunk-driving a house while peering out of the letterbox.

Every bit as exciting are all the features Tripwire Interactive are adding around the game. Not only will there be a single player campaign for the first time in Red Orchestra's history, leading you first through the battle for Stalingrad first as the Germans, then as the Russians, and not only will there be persistent stat tracking, medals to earn, weaponry unlocks and the ultimate class of "Hero" to attain (heroes don't receive any boosts themselves, but buff players around them very slightly), but - are you ready for this? - the character models of veteran players will slowly but surely be made to look more ragged and tired, with damaged and jury-rigged bits of uniform acting as some kind of strange badge of honour. That's something more meaningful than any medal
    "

64 player realistic shooter with the possibility of tactical teamplay - could be great fun even if the graphics aren't up to par with modern shooters.

The biggest disappointment so far for BF3 is that it won't be moddable - the great thing about mods in BF2 was the fact that certain ones drew more mature team-orientated players - always a plus when you are used to playing on servers swarming with angry lone wolves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Graphics do not make good game play. They are just eye candy at the end of the day. How often do you stop in the middle of a hectic multiplayer game to admire the scenery?

I'm deffo getting RO2 and we will be hosting a server as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

TheFairy wrote: »
    Graphics do not make good game play. They are just eye candy at the end of the day. How often do you stop in the middle of a hectic multiplayer game to admire the scenery?

I'm deffo getting RO2 and we will be hosting a server as well.

I think I'll get it also to fill the time before BF3 release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bf2000ie

Headshot wrote: »

Had a look at the trailers for this game, reminds me of the old Medal of Honor games from the PS2. I agree that graphics alone dont make a good game but why make a game that looks worse than it could be. They obviously have to do the visualisation anyway so why not make it as good as they can.
    Just smacks a lot of a rush to market job.
    BC2 can fill the gap till BF3 comes out. Its better than going to black ops anyway, awful game!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

bf2000ie wrote: »
    Had a look at the trailers for this game, reminds me of the old Medal of Honor games from the PS2. I agree that graphics alone dont make a good game but why make a game that looks worse than it could be. They obviously have to do the visualisation anyway so why not make it as good as they can.
    Just smacks a lot of a rush to market job.
    BC2 can fill the gap till BF3 comes out. Its better than going to black ops anyway, awful game!

It's been in development for 3 years.
    It's from an indie company. Their budgets are insanely low so how could someone expect graphics to be exceptional?
    The game was due for release at the beginning of the year but they weren't happy with the balance of the game so they've been refining and polishing it, so I don't expect many bugs/issues with the game at all.
    By the way, I don't think the graphics are that bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Its anything but a rush to market! Why release a game with super eye candy graphics that only a small percentage of the PC market could really see the best of anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

The original RO was a great game. RO2 is shaping up nicely. It's clearly not for 12 year old angry lone wolves rushing out into the open, getting popped once in the head and ragequitting.

In terms of AI, I think it's unfair to criticise a predominantly MP game based on their efforts of making an SP experience.

I would prefer to see pure MP FPS games devs concentrating on making them better for online play than trying to do both MP and SP.

To my mind, the BF and RO series' are MP only games, they shouldn't bother trying to make SP. Unfortunately, they have to try to compete on every selling point in the marketplace.

COD is more suited to linear, single player storytelling with unending waves of magically spawning enemies to punish you if you don't move forward. It's main strength is SP. COD has a decent MP mode as part of the package, driven by prestige/achievment OCD addiction. Perfectly suited to those lone wolves I mentioned and enjoyable for an organised group of mates to play.

BF3 will likely play more like BC2, when looking at upcoming sequel games, you can only really guess what they might be like based from the devs latest release, in this case, BC2. A better MP game than COD:BLOPS for sure, but the series itself has lost it's way a little since the 1942/BFV and even BF2.

Personally hoping that BF3 can recapture some of the large scale feel of its' predecessors and give us something new also... but that's a few months out.

First, RO2 :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165167

EA released images of Andy McNab assisting with the motion capture.

They also apparently have a BF3 based book out at the same time.

TheFairy wrote: »
    Graphics do not make good game play.
    Are the graphics worse, or same/better than Wolfenstein:ET? If the former, I'll probably ignore it, but if the latter, I may get Red Orchestra (it's only a tenner).

RO2 is out end of August, just before the open beta of BF3, so can't see myself getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

So, what do you guys think of www.modernwarfare3.com now automatically redirecting to the Battlefield site?

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    So, what do you guys think of www.modernwarfare3.com now automatically redirecting to the Battlefield site?
    Checking out the cache, and this video pops up on the main page:

And underneath it is
    Modern Warfare is crap. On November 8, 2011, the most over-hyped first-person action series of all-time returns with the copy and paste sequel to the lackluster Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Check out the E3 2011 gameplay demo featuring the Black Tuesday level for a look at the epic fail of the campaign. Pre-Order Call of Duty MW3 Today for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC to secure exclusive bonuses only available online for Modern Warfare 3 fanboys who don't know that Battlefield 3 is the better game.
    modernwarfare3.com/beta.html redirects to http://www.ea.com/errors/404
    instead of:
    WANT TO JOIN THE MODERN WARFARE 3 BETA?

The devs are not giving out any beta keys right now! Is it because they don't want to show off how crappy the game is?

Check out the Battlefield 3 Beta Instead (because they know its a better game)
    Looks like someone had fun :D

• Advertisement

bl-home.png

The first Battlelog images appear.

http://www.battlefieldbadcompany2.com/de/news?id=1440

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

looks pretty cool, it has to be said. waiting on an exact date for the beta now, can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Probably silly question to ask right now but...

How do we get the Beta?

I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Probably silly question to ask right now but...

How do we get the Beta?

I want.

Was under the impression if you bought Medal of Honor you got in the beta. Got ityself in steam sale even though I can't stand it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Those green, blue and gray borders on the friends avatars look very much like those in steam. Odd that.

5uspect wrote: »
    Those green, blue and gray borders on the friends avatars look very much like those in steam. Odd that.
    Almost like they had planned the release for Steam? Aye. I'm thinking it'll be changed before release if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

What do you guys think of the rumors floating around about BF3 having a dinosaur horde mode as an answer to Nazi Zombies?

I think it'd be fun, personally, though its very unlikely.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    What do you guys think of the rumors floating around about BF3 having a dinosaur horde mode as an answer to Nazi Zombies?

I think it'd be fun, personally, though its very unlikely.
    Like:
    If so, no, it won't be happening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Would be pretty cool in fairness, I remember RA2 had the giant ant missions which were brilliant.

Advertisement