Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just hope it not an "i'm invincible while stabbing people" type animation. Not really liking the quick prone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningShovel

Burgo wrote: »
    Lovely dolphin diving :P

Is it just me or does the stabbing action seem to take ages?

Kind of the point, no? Stop people panic-knifing. Anyways, the whole melee combat system is completely redone. Not sure if this has been posted in the last 50 pages, but:

2 knife modes: Quick slash and holdable knife.
    2 quick slashes to front to kill
    1 quick slash to back? (Unconfirmed)
    Take out knife and assassinate= OHK and Dogtags.

Dogtags are a whole lot harder to get. All the more satisfying when you do.

Also your accuracy goes to hell and back when transferring in and out of prone, and while vaulting.

---

Did anyone see the C4 Video that was put up? Was amazing, but it got taken down already :(

In short:
    Support gets C4 now.
    Detonator is independent of C4 Packs, constantly held and usable
    C4 can take out buildings with ease and amazing explosions
    Grenades are cookable, you can also suicide

Suicide bombing campers with grenades is gonna be fun. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hmm, Dragon Age 2 just got pulled from Steam as EA just released the first DLC for it. Since BF3 will have the Back to Karkand DLC 4 weeks after release it seems unlikely that Steam will have BF3 unless there's an agreement reached between EA and Valve first. Given that the BF3 pre-orders are already 10 times that of BC2 I can't imagine Valve will hold out and knowingly forfeit 1 or 2 million sales like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=5811
    Texas Battlefield 3 launch LAN bans women from attending

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Okay then, Prepubescent little ****s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The dolphin diving/prone abuse should be fixed in future builds:

https://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/96252597815607296

"Just fixed drop shooting. Short pause in shooting now while the transition to prone occurs, and again when getting up."

• Registered Users Posts: 54,373 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

good news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

That has to be the worst ****ing decision i've seen made in a long time!!!!

If an extreme minority of over-sensitive females are going to get offended about the way some guys are acting, they should know better than to attend.

Its just ruining it for all the other female gamers who are solely there to enjoy the game, and not get hung up about this ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what are you, 15?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Spear wrote: »
    The dolphin diving/prone abuse should be fixed in future builds:

https://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/96252597815607296

"Just fixed drop shooting. Short pause in shooting now while the transition to prone occurs, and again when getting up."

Good to see that they are listening to the beta testers, and actually implementing changes that are being suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Kiith wrote: »
    Good to see that they are listening to the beta testers, and actually implementing changes that are being suggested.

Get off boards and get back to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Super stuff :d.That was the main issue i seen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

TheFairy wrote: »
    I think its turned off mainly! Only a few buildings can be brought down now, which is a really good thing. I've been on a few rounds of BC2 where there was very little left on the map, and it was crap. I'd rather have it with little or no destruction.

I was in BC2 where we were holed up in one house, fighting the good fight, then a creak and a groan and we were out of there like rats off a sinking ship.. never seen so many come out of one little house.. straight into the next.. which wasn't long for this world either - destructable environments make these games

If you don't like em go play BF2 and get your tank stuck on a twig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Is it just me or are reload times much quicker in that vid? Only took 2-3 seconds to load a RPG. More like 8 in BFBC2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anyone else see the BF3 ad in the cinema , man EA is throwing everything at this game hoping, the ad in the cinema is a excellent idea the excellent sound and visuals look great. They are really goin the jugular with this against COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Anyone else see the BF3 ad in the cinema , man EA is throwing everything at this game hoping, the ad in the cinema is a excellent idea the excellent sound and visuals look great. They are really goin the jugular with this against COD.
    Anything new in the ad or just the same stuff we've seen?
    I'm sure they'll sell millions and make a massive profit, but think it will still fall shy of taking over CoD, i believe the next Battlefield DICE put out after Battlefield 3
    will lord it over CoD if Activision doesn't get their act together, you can be guaranteed they'll lose fans this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

KilOit wrote: »
    Anything new in the ad or just the same stuff we've seen?
    I'm sure they'll sell millions and make a massive profit, but think it will still fall shy of taking over CoD, i believe the next Battlefield DICE put out after Battlefield 3
    will lord it over CoD if Activision doesn't get their act together, you can be guaranteed they'll lose fans this time around.
    From the videos iv seen online, it seems to be a edited together version of a few different videos i have seen , its just the sound in the cinema made it so much better .

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I was in BC2 where we were holed up in one house, fighting the good fight, then a creak and a groan and we were out of there like rats off a sinking ship.. never seen so many come out of one little house.. straight into the next.. which wasn't long for this world either - destructable environments make these games

Make them....bad? In BC2 on a full 32 player server, most of the buildings are rubble by the round halfway point ruining the cover and layout of the map. They need a few larger buildings per map to NOT be fully destructable so maps retain their shape and playability. Or what about the abomination that is Rush, where one of each pair of MCOMs are destroyable just by calling mortars on the building around it

What's gonna happen if jets can level buildings? The entire map will be rubble in minutes.

It's not like destroyed buildings can no longer be used for cover, with reduced mobility.

It's funny how people demand a degree of realism in some things but despair about others.

• Advertisement

http://kotaku.com/5826516/ea-enlists-ex+sas-operator-to-pen-battlefield-3-the-russian

slight spoilers:
    there's a playable Russian character called Dima

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

5uspect wrote: »
    It's not like destroyed buildings can no longer be used for cover, with reduced mobility.

It's funny how people demand a degree of realism in some things but despair about others.

Exactly. Usually you can climb into the rubble and use it for cover too.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Exactly. Usually you can climb into the rubble and use it for cover too.

It would be interesting if the building had more than one mode of destruction.
    So perhaps a random wall in the building wouldn't collapse supporting some of the collapsed structure. That way you would have somewhat unique and interesting cover options for each game.

seyeM wrote: »
    Make them....bad? In BC2 on a full 32 player server, most of the buildings are rubble by the round halfway point ruining the cover and layout of the map. They need a few larger buildings per map to NOT be fully destructable so maps retain their shape and playability. Or what about the abomination that is Rush, where one of each pair of MCOMs are destroyable just by calling mortars on the building around it

What's gonna happen if jets can level buildings? The entire map will be rubble in minutes.

Very true, recently started playing BC2 again and jumped on a 1000 ticket game in heavy metal and with 500 tickets to go the entire center was a smoking rubble, you could barely hide behind the rubble with high cliffs around. same goes for arica harbor, most of the buildings in that map can be completely demolished.
    So for me i'd like to see major destruction. but only 2nd and 3rd floor of the buildings should be able to wiped out leaving somewhat of a hideout. maybe some maps to have reinforced steel buildings and bunkers that could still be used as cover. i like long games, but even the sort of destruction in BC2 by the end of it you could barley recognize the map.

5uspect wrote: »
    It would be interesting if the building had more than one mode of destruction.
    So perhaps a random wall in the building wouldn't collapse supporting some of the collapsed structure. That way you would have somewhat unique and interesting cover options for each game.

I agree. But it may be difficult to do in the code though. "Random" isnt as easy as it sounds, and if you had five buildings you may have two with the same wall remaining and it would stick out. Just a thought.

KilOit wrote: »
    Very true, recently started playing BC2 again and jumped on a 1000 ticket game in heavy metal and with 500 tickets to go the entire center was a smoking rubble, you could barely hide behind the rubble with high cliffs around.

Thats a lot of tickets so you're going to get a lot of damage.

And I really enjoy that about Heavy Metal; "B" starts out as a little village and gets flattened.

:rolleyes:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I agree. But it may be difficult to do in the code though. "Random" isnt as easy as it sounds, and if you had five buildings you may have two with the same wall remaining and it would stick out. Just a thought.

Oh of course. It wouldn't really need to be truly random. The destruction in BC2 appears similar to the gore engine in L4D2 (PDF). Bits of walls are removed and this doesn't affect the structural stability of the building until all the walls have been hit.

Buildings then pretty much fall into one of a few scripted configurations. Perhaps if they simply left a bit more room inside, or even a basement of some sort it might be more interesting. Of even once a building has collapsed it can take a lot more damage to completely flatten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

seyeM wrote: »

I've played some long-ass games on packed servers and there's generally always cover.

Rarely have I seen a completely flattened wasteland, perhaps maybe only on 1000+ ticket servers which the game wasn't exactly designed for

I think they'll keep the damage sensible regarding jets, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

On the BF3 blog they've announced more US pre-order bonuses;
    Over the past month or so, European gamers could pre-order Battlefield 3 and get a series of bonuses, depending on where they pre-ordered. Now, the pre-orders have finally arrived stateside, and it’s the same offerings we’ve seen before, only with different retailers. Here’s what we know so far:
    Gamestop Battlefield 3 pre-order
    GameStop’s pre-order includes the Physical Warfare pack, in addition to the Back To Karkand DLC. If you are part of their PowerUp Rewards, you’ll get a free Prima Battlefield 3 strategy guide as well.
    Amazon Battlefield 3 pre-order
    If you pre-order on Amazon, you’ll receive an exclusive set of dog tags for multiplayer. On top of that, the pre-order includes the Back To Karkand expansion pack.
    Best Buy Battlefield 3 pre-order
    Best Buy offers the same Limited Edition version with Back To Karkand, plus a set of new multiplayer skins — the SPECACT Kit. You’ll receive a code to unlock 8 new multiplayer skins when the game is released.

• Advertisement

The skins sound interesting, what retailer is doing that here?

Advertisement