Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

TheFairy wrote: »
    BF always had the Rock Paper Scissors pretty much nailed until BF2, planes and to some extent the choppers became too powerful.

Every weapon and vehicle should have an equal adversary, simples. Go back to BF1942, even grenades can damage tanks, and rockets can sometimes one shot kill, thats the way it should be.

But then again, you don;t want to under-power tanks either.

Whats the point in driving a modern tank, if some n00b with a RPG can blow it up with one shot?

There should simply be limited numbers of tanks per team, and a tank should require a bit of teamwork to take it out. Tanks SHOULD be over powered with regards to infantry.

Choppers were always easily enough destroyed unless there was a really skilled pilot, the plane just became silly in BF2 imo. At first they weren't that over powered, but then they nerfed them into unstoppable death from above type things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

god if only they could make it 64 v 64

but i dont think a net shooter can do that? due to the exponential blah?

could it be done ?

I mean i'd take a shooter with **** graphics just to have more players, bigger convoys, more waarrrr... nothing beats scale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

But then again, you don;t want to under-power tanks either.

Whats the point in driving a modern tank, if some n00b with a RPG can blow it up with one shot?

There should simply be limited numbers of tanks per team, and a tank should require a bit of teamwork to take it out. Tanks SHOULD be over powered with regards to infantry.

Choppers were always easily enough destroyed unless there was a really skilled pilot, the plane just became silly in BF2 imo. At first they weren't that over powered, but then they nerfed them into unstoppable death from above type things.

Tanks were def not underpowered in 42. There was a sweet spot at the rear, which meant you had to get behind it and have a good aim. This meant the tankers had to be more careful about position and who they showed their ass to.

BF2 tanks were well OP, the amount of times a tank camped and had a box dropped in behind it to self repair, it was nigh impossible to destroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There is a rock-paper scissors in real warfare.

Artillery defeats infantry

Infantry defeat aircraft (counter intuitive - but infantry can rarely be effectively engaged from the air. An infantry-man's job is to over-run an air-strip, not shoot at planes)

Aircraft defeat tanks

Tanks defeat artillery

Okay - that's a bit simplistic, but you get the idea. I would like to see more aircraft and artillery in BF3. Aircraft dog-fights would be great! And massed artillery instead of a small mortar here and there.

In fact, a tank rush would be beautiful to see - 6 T80s rushing an enemy position :D

---

But the thing I would like to see more than anything is for defenders to be actually be able to build defenses:to dig tank traps and trenches; to be able to shift around heavy gun emplacements and block roads. What would be lovely? A field of anti-infantry mines :D

Once defenses are in place it is nigh impossible to fix them up again. Ever try going out to the front line to toss an anti-tank mine? Frustrating, huh?

Also - one big omission to date: why can't engineers BUILD BRIDGES?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg
    DSCF1870.jpg
    DSCF1867.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I seriously doubt the game will look like that. Discount anything EA/Dice tell you know, honestly dont believe the hype!

Again there will be no mod tools, this means you have to pay for every little drop of DLC. Releasing the same map with a different game mode does not count as new content, this is what modders would have done 2 days after release.

This will be BFBC3, and not BF3, mark my words.

I seriously doubt the game will look like that. Discount anything EA/Dice tell you know, honestly dont believe the hype!

Again there will be no mod tools, this means you have to pay for every little drop of DLC. Releasing the same map with a different game mode does not count as new content, this is what modders would have done 2 days after release.

This will be BFBC3, and not BF3, mark my words.

The screenies are pre-rendered, obviously, not in-game. Still, looks like a step up from FB1.5

I just hope this is a BF game, not a BC game...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Guys dont slam BFBC2 too much, its still a hell of alot better then the other shooters out there....

There has to be a point where some one in EA sits back and says WTF are we doing, it would only take a little bit of taught and they have real chance of nailing this FPS "MULTIPLAYER" genre for good.

They have got to bring back the cmddr mode, its was classic and in most cases a very good cmdr would easily win a round for you. The armour in BF2142 was pretty much perfect. Just tanks and WALKERS....WALKERS were very powerful but had a week spot and were very slow....couple of motion mines and job done....especially the way they floated around corners to the target BRILLIANT.

Also the guns were pretty much spot on with the KRYLOV and the VOSS...not to mention the BRILLIANT TITAN MODE. I swear I really had many a happy few hours playing 2142 and to me it was better then BF2...but then again its one mans meat....and all that.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Guys dont slam BFBC2 too much, its still a hell of alot better then the other shooters out there....

There has to be a point where some one in EA sits back and says WTF are we doing, it would only take a little bit of taught and they have real chance of nailing this FPS "MULTIPLAYER" genre for good.

They have got to bring back the cmddr mode, its was classic and in most cases a very good cmdr would easily win a round for you. The armour in BF2142 was pretty much perfect. Just tanks and WALKERS....WALKERS were very powerful but had a week spot and were very slow....couple of motion mines and job done....especially the way they floated around corners to the target BRILLIANT.

Also the guns were pretty much spot on with the KRYLOV and the VOSS...not to mention the BRILLIANT TITAN MODE. I swear I really had many a happy few hours playing 2142 and to me it was better then BF2...but then again its one mans meat....and all that.

I loved 2142 myself. Sure we spent 100's of hours playing that with our old clan!

BC2 while fun, loses most of what makes the BF series great IMO

Its a shooter, plain and simple. BF should be a tactical shooter, with proper squad level tactics, commander (from BF2 and 2142), waypoints, orders to follow, commo rose, and even simple things like being able to say 'thanks' when someone heals or resupply's you etc.

I used to love doing commander and seeing where the opposing team were breaking through, and ordering squads to intercept etc.

When you had a good team that actually followed cmmdr orders, you were almost invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    QFT. The FPS is one of my favorite genres of games. I don't have brand loyalty, I just play the games I like. I bought Blops when it came out, and while it was no where near as bad as MW2, I eventually did give up on it and came back to BFBC2. It's just a better game. But it's also not a proper sequel to BF2, so I find the comparisons irritating. It was more like BF-lite, so naturally wouldn't have the same intricacies of the truer Battlefield games. With BF3, I expect a return to a formula similar to BF2. It'll be a proper sequel to that game, and that's what I'm looking forward to.

Oh, and here are some high-res scans of the article the images above came from.

• Advertisement

BC2 is a GOOD game. Great graphics, great physics implementations, destructible environment, realistic lighting etc etc oh and in fairness the weapons are probably the best in any FPS I've played.

Now taking the best of BC2; how medic/ammo recharge works, graphics, destruction, lighting, physics, player models etc, and marrying those to BF style gameplay; large maps, commander, teamwork ethic etc etc BF3 could be fantastic.

BC2 is a fun shooter, a stripped down BF game, but excellent in its own right. An off-shoot to the BF series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

BC2 & BC2:Nam are good games, but they aren't true Battlefield games.

No they are not true BF games I for one never said they were BF games...but can you imagine if BFBC2 was not released!!! We would be left playing that good awful COD and MOH....so its good we have BC series to keep us ticking over.

From the above screen shots they look identical to CRYSIS 2, that is meant to be set in "NEW YORK" or the like...

One point I would like to make....even if BF3 is crap or more likely scenario mediocre at best, are gamers gonna make a stand and bycott the game to make EA realise the mistakes they are making.....HELL NO.

IMHO I bet nearly every ****er on here will still buy it (Me included) when released even if we know its not up to scratch. LMFAO :p

Its a win win situation for DICE/EA

Of course we're gonna buy it. Don't be so silly!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

some more info here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

and more good news about dedicated servers and how it's not going to be a console port, Game Informer via joystiq.

Executive producer Patrick Bach; "We won't make it for console and port it to PC -- that's not how we do things," "We're focusing on PC first, and then we fiddle with it to fit it onto consoles." But says they're not going to be including mod tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

BF always had the Rock Paper Scissors pretty much nailed until BF2, planes and to some extent the choppers became too powerful.

Every weapon and vehicle should have an equal adversary, simples. Go back to BF1942, even grenades can damage tanks, and rockets can sometimes one shot kill, thats the way it should be.

Most maps had equal tanks, therefore cancelling each other out, and were always rushed half the time by Jihads. Tanks were easily destroyed in BF, TOWs were devestating

Also choppers got nerfed after 1.3 I think it was, when lockons became much better for AAs.

With regards to planes, the J-10 was overpowered and unstoppable, F-35, MiG and the rest were all a decent fight.

I'll be happy if they implement some system to stop whoring of certain vehicles or the people who would stand in front of you and make you TK them...oh...and nade spams !! ..which is also rampant in BC2s smaller maps and BF Inf Only....1 ammo box...and nade nade nade nade nade nade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

after reading through most of the new news

I dunno about BF3 at all

no mod tools
    no commander
    kill cam :eek:
    single player campaign :confused:
    four classes

its sounding more and more like Bad Company 3 (shudder)

I think Red Orchestra 2 is going to be the game for me if BF3 turns out to be what its sounding like

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Auvers wrote: »
    after reading through most of the new news

I dunno about BF3 at all

no mod tools
    no commander
    kill cam :eek:
    single player campaign :confused:
    four classes

its sounding more and more like Bad Company 3 (shudder)

I think Red Orchestra 2 is going to be the game for me if BF3 turns out to be what its sounding like

There is a commander mode according to the GameInformer article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Spear wrote: »
    There is a commander mode according to the GameInformer article.

a dumbed down version by the sounds of it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I dont know many people who would even look forward to 64 player servers. Dedicated servers that you cannot even get the files for do not count as dedicated servers in my book!

If they claim dedicated servers then they should allow clans and groups access to the files to host their own servers. All this rubbish about hacking etc when people have access to the files is pure rubbish, hacking will happen no matter what!

I said a while ago that I thought PC gaming will come to the fore again, and I hope it does, but I also hope that PC gamers see through the gloss to the dross and support developers who are doing things the way they should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Its going to be using frostbite 2 engine which looks impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Its going to be using frostbite 2 engine which looks impressive

Not to sound too critical, but that video was totally underwhelming and boring tbh. I especially yawned to the first minute looking at the room in different colours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Not to sound too critical, but that video was totally underwhelming and boring tbh. I especially yawned to the first minute looking at the room in different colours :rolleyes:

I thought it looked great, start was dull but the night area with the neon lights looked incredible.

I hope they keep and improve on the destructible environments. I'd love to see large complex structures that partly collapse differently every time. So maps never feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

the graphics on bfbc2 are amazing.. I never tire of them.. still look so good.. and to know they will be upgraded.. amazing

You can turn off the kill cam (prob a hardcore mode, only mode I play)

They say the mod tools will be too complex but I tihnk they should try to dumb them down a bit and release

The internet wouldn't be the internet without people saying a game is rubbish and they won't buy and will be playing red orchestra and sulking in the corner ... before the damn game is even released

ps I read about bfbc2.. all the whiners.. and didnt buy it because of that.. then I just bought it one day.. and it is excellent.. as much as I have always loved bf2, the war nerd in me knows we must move onto destructable environments, etc, etc, etc.. so much better

TBH, the game will fall flat on its face if no dedicated servers....forget about the mod tools thats just a plus+, no dediciated servers and you can forget about it.

I would have no problem at all if the game used the same engine and graphics as BFBC2 and vietnam, which was said already do look very good. So why add extra strain and time with new engines and have rigs struggle to play it on the PC ( not that I care with my new sandy bridge rig :D ) when they should leave as is and concentrate on the more important aspects of the game that will improve GAMEPLAY.

At least EA/DICE have admitted making the game for the PC first, that is a very important statement right there on its own!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They've specifically stated that there will be dedicated servers though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

God damn it - now I need a build a new rig...

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote: »
    God damn it - now I need a build a new rig...

They've said that if you can handle BC2, you should be good for BF3. How old is your rig?

Advertisement