Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Spear wrote: »
    They've said that if you can handle BC2, you should be good for BF3. How old is your rig?

It's old enough - might work on upgrading it to the best of my ability. Really dont want to be forking out a grand on a new rig but 64 players online !!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Auvers wrote: »
    no commander

My apologies, it seems you were right, my inital reading of the DiCE response was wrong.

http://bf3blog.com/2011/02/battlefield-3-wont-include-commander-feature/

The fuller text there would suggest there's no specific commander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

The fuller text there would suggest there's no specific commander.

indeed I am just waiting for regenerative health and the matrix knife announcement to finally kill the franchise for me after nearly 10 years of playing :(

"make the threshold lower" this is probably the must gutting quote I have read yet

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

I completely understand the negativity but for some reason my gut is telling me this will be different! There's a lot of positive signs coming from the developers as regards putting PC first and foremost.

Give this a read:
    http://bf3nation.com/2010/08/frostbite-2-engine-good-news-for-pc-gamers/

CANNOT WAIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Meh!

No let me make it bigger...

MEH!

Have a read of http://bf3blog.com/2011/02/battlefield-3-limited-edition-includes-back-to-karkand-dlc/ ..... BF2 maps available to those that buy the limited edition, and if you dont get it you can buy 4 remade BF2 maps for $10.00.

FFS this is getting plain silly, developers are releasing substandard games and recharging for rehashed content. BF3 will not be the game peeps are expecting it to be imo. Imagine that Dice once contained some of the modders who gave us Desert Combat for FREE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its ****ty alright but i'm guessing that a choice made by EA and not Dice. Just to make more money.

I hope its a great game. Especially on PC. Id like to move back to PC battlefield and get away from the console if possible.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I dont think releasing old maps is a bad thing at all. It will be great replaying them with a fresh lick of paint and high on nostalgia. Its not like there wont be allot of other brand new maps to sink your teeth into. If you dont want the maps buy the standard edition but i think allot of people will genuinely want to replay them especially when it comes to clans wanted to relive the glory days

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I choose to be optimistic about this. From what i've read so far, it's shaping up nicely. It's not going to be Battlefield 2, with a fresh lick of paint. Accept that, and move on. It's not going to be CoD/MoH either, and Dice know what they are doing, and have learned a lot in the last few years.

Glass half full people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Kiith wrote: »
    I choose to be optimistic about this. From what i've read so far, it's shaping up nicely. It's not going to be Battlefield 2, with a fresh lick of paint. Accept that, and move on. It's not going to be CoD/MoH either, and Dice know what they are doing, and have learned a lot in the last few years.

Glass half full people!

Couldn't agree more - lets be optimistic.

As bad as BF2 was with the constant problems and patches, when it worked (which was 99% of the time for me) it was an awesome game which I played for hours upon hours on a daily basis.

I'm not condoning releasing unfinished or untested games but lets give DICE the benefit of doubt that they will release a finished (or as finished can be) product. No amount of testing in a LAN environment can make up for a game being released and bugs found, which are subsequently patched. Even with Beta's you can't expect everything to be 100% on day one for a multiplayer game.

Anyway, I for one, cannot frickin wait for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

TheFairy wrote: »
    Meh!

No let me make it bigger...

MEH!

Have a read of http://bf3blog.com/2011/02/battlefield-3-limited-edition-includes-back-to-karkand-dlc/ ..... BF2 maps available to those that buy the limited edition, and if you dont get it you can buy 4 remade BF2 maps for $10.00.

FFS this is getting plain silly, developers are releasing substandard games and recharging for rehashed content. BF3 will not be the game peeps are expecting it to be imo. Imagine that Dice once contained some of the modders who gave us Desert Combat for FREE!

Apparently the "limited edition" is the same thing they did for BC2. The Limited Edition version of the game is literally just buying it brand you. If you buy it brand you, you get a code to get these maps. If you buy it second hand you have to pay for the maps.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not going to be Battlefield 2, with a fresh lick of paint. Accept that, and move on.

What i meant by that was playing the old maps with a new engine new graphics new gameplay. I think we all already know it aint gonna be a BF2....nothing will ever :P

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

“We’re focusing on PC first, and then we fiddle with it to fit it onto consoles.”

MAJOR $hit will go down if thats in any way false!! :p All the signs coming out of DICE have been extremely positive so far, thats why im so incredibly optimistic. One things for sure though, Frostbite 2 on the pc is gonna kick ass graphics wise!

One thing i want to see is Balance with the choppers(more so Apaches)

They're a joke in BC2, most drivers have this annoying spin in a circle flying motion that's next to impossible to combat, even with Anti Aircraft.

Whenever the attackers get one, I always run to the Anti Aircraft weapon and if they do that spinning ****, even after i hit them 3/4 times they 99% of the time just kill me with their 5 widespread missiles.

As much as i love playing Oasis the second set of M-Coms are the biggest pain. Your forced to spawn in a tiny area, where some dicks just spinning around in a circle unloading missiles down on top of ye.
    Then your AA gun is so close to the M-Coms they don't even have to move to take you out.

It was without doubt the worst part of BC2 online.
    Tanks are just a waste of time against them too if they fly like that as if they get close enough and the right height you can't even hit them.

They need to alter either the Apaches weapons(better still make the passenger the sole attacker, stop the lads who just jump in and fly off without letting anyone else in) or stop people from spinning around in a circle.

The worst maps for spawn camping on conquest are also the ones with Apaches, they really ruin the game more then anything else.

If they can fix that and sort out spawn camping(should be easy, have the opposition unable to either enter your base, or else not fire their weapons in a certain zone, multiple exits out- to stop people laying C4 at the exits and waiting for people to leave) I'll be happy enough.
    There are only some minor things holding BC2 back

Just seen this now.

JETS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We need a poll:

1. Optimistic it will be "proper" PC BF
    2. DIE EA DIE
    3. It might be ok
    4 .DIE EA DIE
    5 Buying it anyway

Why die EA die? Surely if the game is bad we blame DICE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

steve_ wrote: »
    Why die EA die? Surely if the game is bad we blame DICE

EA own DICE.

EA tell DICE what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

EA own DICE.

EA tell DICE what to do.
    DICE: Product is not really finished.
    EA: Release now! Patch later.

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

the_syco wrote: »
    DICE Anyone and everyone: Product is not really finished.

Fixed that a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

DICE: Product is not really finished.

Thats what happened with medal of honour. They even came out and admitted they weren't happy with the final product.

Really hope it was ea. too lazy to google for confirmation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Buying it anyways - so is everyone posting on this forum - there is no need for a poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Buying it anyways - so is everyone posting on this forum - there is no need for a poll

thats true :)

even though I have a lot of worries about the direction they are heading

fingers crossed I am incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

I'll prob buy it but ill be reluctant after MOH, I hated it. Love BF2 and BC2 though

http://enterbf3.com/viewtopic.php?t=1186

Fresh scans and screens from Gamestar's article. Seems the player limit on consoles has been upped to 32.

Looks like the sounds have been improved further.

As good as they are in BC2 I spend a lot of time spinning in circles trying to gauge where the tank or chopper are, sounds like they've nailed this..
    Advanced surround sound, players can hear where something is coming from. 80 sound channels

How many players does BC2 hold on the PC?... is it 32?.

Says 64 for the PC in BF3 and if BC2 is only 32 it looks like we might have some proper sized maps in this.

Too many of the maps are too narrow in BC2 and it ruins some of the conquest maps where Apaches are available.

Hopefully we get 32 on console, 12 a side can be fine but once it drops to even 10v10(and down) it gets a bit bare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

32 players on PC is absolutely fine. I always hated the 64-man servers in BF2 and avoided them like the plague.

karma_ wrote: »
    32 players on PC is absolutely fine. I always hated the 64-man servers in BF2 and avoided them like the plague.

Ah no!!! 64 players is where its at for Battlefield IMO.

Some epic battles were had!
    http://enterbf3.com/viewtopic.php?t=1186

Fresh scans and screens from Gamestar's article. Seems the player limit on consoles has been upped to 32.

Meh. More target renders. Can't wait to see in game shots. Looks promising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah no!!! 64 players is where its at for Battlefield IMO.
    The BF2 PR mod did a 128 player server :D 1942 also had 128 player maps. 128 players on the big maps were fun, but the queues for... anything... sucked.

The BF2 PR mod did a 128 player server :D 1942 also had 128 player maps. 128 players on the big maps were fun, but the queues for... anything... sucked.

128 players? Bloody hell, waiting for a tank must be like a trip to the Dole office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I agree with Karma....IMHO 64 player maps are not great at all. Yeah you will have the "ODD" great battle but the rest is just average games that are over alot quicker. The best battles will always happen on a 32 player server with a large map, not huge but large enough to plan tactics and not bump into the same players crossing over as they attack and defend.....They just need to stop running out of idea's, I can just see it now:-

"Hey, guys how can we improve this map?"

"Why not add another tank, APC ,jet ,chopper or better still all off them that would rock!"

I think the guys @ DICE must think the more firepower on the one mapthe better the game is.....BOLLOCKS!!! :mad:

Next thing they will be saying will be a "TOP DOWN VIEW" and we all be running around like RAMBO on the ZX SPECTRUM.....At least it would sort
    out them cowardly ****in snipers!!!!!

Advertisement